• As part of the relaunch of Skullheart, ALL previous threads have been archived. You can find them at the bottom of the forum in the Archives (2021) section. The archives are locked, so please use the new forum sections to create new discussion threads.

Guilty Gear Thread

Revelator had an arcade update.

Credit to Dustloop.
courtesy of Fahadouken

1.03 Revelator EN patch notes:
Arcade specific changes:

Same card can be used for LokeTest.

Battle records during LokeTest will also be combined with current records.

When using card, even if "Use same settings as before" option is selected, game mode can be changed.

Changed appearance of receiving badges.

M.O.M. Mode: Changed visuals when challenger joins during character select screen. Skipping acquired medal screen animation has been made smoother. Skill and accessory trait description position has been corrected.

Fixed a bug where it sometimes didn:t count weekly quest of playing 2 days in a row and monthly quest of playing 7 total days a month even when conditions were met.

Fixed a bug where "Let's play *** mode" quest would not count if interrupted by a challenger.

Game mechanic adjustments:

Blitz charge attack has been made to counter until the very end.

Burst OD version has become less prone to damage scaling.

Fixed a bug where game hanged when certain input was made after landing from homing jump.

Character specific changes:

Bug fixes:

Ramlethal:

Removed ability to do some taunts while sword is equipped.

Elphelt:

Fixed a bug where grenade didn't explode if it clashed with a projectile at the same time it landed on the ground.

New character balance changes:

Jack-O:

When Jack-o places 2 ghosts in the same spot, newer one heads forward instead of towards Jack-o.

P servant hitbox slightly enlarged towards the front.
Johnny:
Changes to air grab: Removed ground bounce.

Changed throwing direction from towards the bottom to horizontal. Increased time for OTG.

Fixed a bug where it wasn't possible to cancel Mist Finer to other moves when clashes.

Bacchus Sigh (mist) disappears if Johnny gets hit, added damage scaling if unblockable hits.

Jam:

Hitbox at feet during jump startup has been made smaller.

Hitbox during standing guard made slightly smaller towards the front.

Hitbox at feet during air dash has been made slightly smaller.

Crouch S hitbox slightly enlarged towards the front.

Added gatling from 6p to 2p, from 6k to 2p and to 2k.

Jump D> Slightly changed level 1 motion, where hitbox slightly made smaller at top but wider at bottom.
Added wallbounce for level 2 CH.

Increased speed for ryujin horizontal movement (excluding variations).

All ryujin hitbox slightly enlarged.

Slightly increased juggle from max enhanced ryujin hit.

Faster startup for Hyappo Shinshou.
Faster startup and horizontal movement for Senri Shinshou.

Axe:
Hitstun slightly decreased when interrupted during move.
Hurtbox during startup slightly enlarged from front, and became easier to get hit.
4-6 command's forward part input buffer extended and made easier.
Added routes to baku, saishinshou when interrupted.

Bakushuu horizontal speed increased.

YoueiKyaku Startup made faster, staggers longer, hitbox slightly enlarged towards the top. Added damage scaling in case of it being starter hit. RISC level decreases slightly more from hit.

Bakushuu / Sairinshou follow up damage scaling less likely.

Last edited:
Pot's fucking ded. my only chance now is my waifu Jam. :-I

from the patch notes she seems to have gotten some buffs and a berf. (buff/nerf)

Last edited:
Ok so i'm finally able to get a little mor time with May (in xrd) and even though i've been playing only against bots (not even sure if they're Easy or Normal), i'm having TONS of fun with her. like, ungodly amounts of it. I feel like she's easy to pick up becaue of her straightforward oki plan, delicious air game (*cough* jH), and fun/challenging combos to execute. Though I'm not ready for some of these crazy corner combos or even 2D xx [4]6S xx RC conversions (I'm usually too low after the RC and just land)

Anyway. am i safe to assume May can make up for Faust's inherent weaknesses while not completely abandoning the mid/long range game I'm used to? Axl seems too similar to Faust so i think May might be a better secondary.

also is P Ball oki better or Applause?

yea, May is pretty sick at putting projectiles on the screen but she's still not a zoner, She can't really control space like Faust can.

I wouldn't give up on Faust if you like zoning, he's mad good and his combos are really easy. The only hard stuff you have to work on is his FD cancel j2k stuff.

Reactions: Adwins
Nah, Faust is my main through and through, but if i ever get serious and i'm getting boned because neutral stops existing (ie vs millia, and if my skullgirls experience means anything, i suck at defending setplay without a reversal) i could probably do with someone with a different style to switch to (though may doesn't have a reversal either)... Like, in skullgirls, squigly and Eliza play similarly (at least the way i do it), so if I switch to Eliza point because of a bad matchup (Painwheel, Peacock), sure Eliza has better tools against them but I won't necessarily fare much better. I'm trying to fix that (by learning fortune) and am trying to avoid that in other games

then again you could only learn bad matchups by playing them often. hum. Well May will still be a secondary for me for this reason. also: fun.

Faust is actually really good vs milia.

It may seem hard because if milia gets you in the corner, and gets her setplay going she can wreck you with ease, BUT, as Faust you can keep her out and not let her get started. Millia has very low health, and faust has high damage. You hit her once or twice and she's done.

Reactions: Adwins
Rating? does tht mean a pc port is planned?

I don't regret getting Xrd for the PS4, but i would regret getting it if this is true (PC's easier for me nowadays. oh well, not sure if an online community would sustain itself esp without the latest version available)

Jesus, hate Xrd that much?
Not hate, but honestly cannot understand why I should bother playing a worse-balanced, slower version of GG with fewer options per character, and fewer characters, when another version exists? Xrd is newer, but that's all it's got going for it to me.

Yeah, I don't quite see the motivation either.

I guess I can't really blame Arcsys. A new Guilty Gear was in high enough demand to make it worth it, but what could they do after Accent? More of the same but inevitably worse (basically what they did)? Or something completely different, that will inevitably alienate returning players?

Glad I let it fall of my radar though, since it seems like the yearly sequels are inevitable. Maybe the definitive version after several installment will be unique/polished enough to be worth picking up.

Not hate, but honestly cannot understand why I should bother playing a worse-balanced, slower version of GG with fewer options per character, and fewer characters, when another version exists? Xrd is newer, but that's all it's got going for it to me.
Having a semi-playable netcode as opposed to pretty much unplayable netcode is pretty big for me.

FRC + terrible netcode + no offline scene whatsoever = ;_;

Having a semi-playable netcode as opposed to pretty much unplayable netcode is pretty big for me.
FRC + terrible netcode + no offline scene whatsoever = ;_;
PC AC+R ain't so bad. But yeah, having an offline scene definitely helps. I'll give you that one.
I just....don't find Xrd FUN at all.

PC AC+R ain't so bad. But yeah, having an offline scene definitely helps. I'll give you that one.
I just....don't find Xrd FUN at all.
I mean I agree I think +R is better than Xrd, but trying to play PC +R online has been an extremely painful experience for me so I'd rather play something I can play rather than something I can't.

Though hopefully my circumstances are unique so others don't have to do that.

My kind of group!
It's a question of circumstance. It's not on PC, so I can't play it, and my cousin with the PS3 doesn't really play fighting games anymore. When he does it's either P4A or a KoF game.

Not to mention this is a group that has gotten on my case for primarily sticking to one character, and I've yet to convince them that RCs are a useful mechanic. Every time I bring it up they say "maybe, but not at our skill level", ignoring that even at a level where you don't know your combo routes they are handy for escaping offense mistakes.

Anyway, I'm reserving judgement on Xrd until I can play it for more than a couple of games on a busy tournament floor during casuals. That being said, I am looking forward to Millia's Roll followup options and that her standing Dust is safer and more of a mixup than in AC+R.

Also, a game designed to better handle delay netcode, and the possibility of an online community due to it being the current hotness means I'd actually get to play. Even if AC+R had GGPO I would have been pleasantly surprised if it kept a community for more than a month.

Last edited:
Even if AC+R had GGPO I would have been pleasantly surprised if it kept a community for more than a month.
If AC+R had GGPO I can guarantee you a huge portion of the GG community would be playing it over Xrd. They play Xrd because it's what gets included in tournaments.

Also, RCs are MORE useful the lower your skill level is. At low levels you should be using them ALL the time!
The better you get, the worse it is for you to waste 50% meter instead of 25%.

Every time I bring it up they say "maybe, but not at our skill level", ignoring that even at a level where you don't know your combo routes they are handy for escaping offense mistakes.
I feel like anyone with a projectile (which is almost everyone) can benefit from a YRC, so there's that. knowing the controversy behind the new RC system it makes me wonder if they should have switched the meter values for Y and R cancels (50 for Y and 25 for R), but that might make combos worse. hm.

I guess I can't really blame Arcsys. A new Guilty Gear was in high enough demand to make it worth it, but what could they do after Accent? More of the same but inevitably worse (basically what they did)? Or something completely different, that will inevitably alienate returning players?

I think for the second option, that would describe BlazBlue, and i think that's where arcsys is focusing its attention--Central Fiction EVERY character tht has been playable throughout the series.

also they haven't taken the 3D model stuff Xrd so maybe that had something to do with it? With my infinite programming/gaming knowledge (plus my 30-ish hours of GG and BB combined) I can guess that it does

I don't play either game other than casually, but if I was going to pick one to commit time to it would have to be xrd. Game's got a more active and easier to access playerbase, and my perception is that the execution is lower because frcs aren't frame perfect, and that appeals to me greatly. Could just be a perception problem. There's also something to be said for shiny graphics. The established guilty gear players might prefer +R, but I don't know if the established gg players are xrd's target.

Also, RCs are MORE useful the lower your skill level is. At low levels you should be using them ALL the time!
The better you get, the worse it is for you to waste 50% meter instead of 25%.
That's what I've been saying, but convincing my friends of anything is an uphill battle. Even of things I have far more knowledge of and can argue for is met with "well, maybe, but I don't know", or similar dismissals. They are fun to argue with, but reaching a conclusion with them is impossible, at least not without basically offending them by saying "no, you're wrong" in however many words.

I would go in HARD if xrd or +r used rollback netcode. But they dont, so im stuck watching match videos of a game i love instead of actually playing it.

I've been trying to get back into +R with Dizzy before she comes out in Revelator. Anyone know some good guides and players to pay attention to for her? I've been doing what I can with Dustloop but buttons on paper can only go so far.

I've been trying to get back into +R with Dizzy before she comes out in Revelator. Anyone know some good guides and players to pay attention to for her? I've been doing what I can with Dustloop but buttons on paper can only go so far.
GUIDE?

Time for some Guilty Bits Baby

The Guilty bits series on youtube gives a good, short overview of the characters but sometimes leaves things out (not sure if it's significant for Dizzy's ep). Novril's other series Guilty Gear Crash Course may talk about Xrd but its easily applicable to ACR, you'll just have to dig a little deeper for matches.

as for players, i know there's a Bits episode where the intro lists notable players to watch per character, but i don't remember which it is

eh it's still a good pointer. I was trying to remember Jam and i forgot which normals I should be using in neutral. So before Jumping back into +R i watched the Bits video as a sudo refresher.

If your looking for players then the ones I can think of off the top of my head are Kazuki and Kishimoto.
Some videos of Kazuki.

As for guides Guilty Bits is probably one of the better guides out there. If you need anymore help her Dustloop wiki is always good to fall back on.

Last edited:
My boyfriend and I had our friends over last night and we played upwards of 8+ hours of +R

I never realized how much fun Testament and Robo Ky were.

I hope we either get more returning characters for XrdR like maybe Testament or Bridget, or at least maybe another new character.

Xrd is coming to PC, and just as anyone with a brain predicted it's of course -SIGN-.

now for the ceremonious response from Arc to everyone: