• As part of the relaunch of Skullheart, ALL previous threads have been archived. You can find them at the bottom of the forum in the Archives (2021) section. The archives are locked, so please use the new forum sections to create new discussion threads.

Guilty Gear Thread

bruh everything about what Jam does is a pure chinese stereotype from a japanese perspective.
The way she speaks is basically the japanese equivalent of "YOU PAY FAI DOLLA FO EGG RORR" or some similar stereotypical phrasing that I can't be arsed to think of right now.
the fact that the chinese girl speaks in a super chinese way, uses chinese martial arts, and has a chinese restaurant (chinese people are usually depicted as martial artists or chefs, and frequently both) makes me think that Jam's character is a just a little too tied to her nationality
and her boy lust
what a well rounded character
i love ass and legs
that enough to make up for things
the same thing can be said about Anji.
except instead of Chinese, it's Japanese.

also, a direct quote from her wikia

Jam also takes great pride in her Chinese heritage and skill in both fighting and cooking, often using food as a reference.
which is something Baiken does as well.

limiting chineseness to fighting and cooking, bro
there's more to the country and the history than fried rice and one-inch punches

so you're saying Baiken is also a poor choice because all her character inspirations come from just samurai, and there's more culture to Japan than samurai culture?

I mean, I'm sorry Jam doesn't have more than 2 of China's most popular cultural influences. should she suddenly talk about the great wall?

i mean, there's only so much you can put into a character at once.

Stereotypes is hardly limited as a GG thing. Or a fighting game thing. Or a Video Game thing. It's a media thing in general because the mass populace considers stereotypes as an entertainment source. GG is simply another entity that takes advantage of age old stereotypes and personality tropes for all their characters to appeal to the widest range of consumers possible.

so you're saying Baiken is also a poor choice because all her character inspirations come from just samurai, and there's more culture to Japan than samurai culture?
I mean, I'm sorry Jam doesn't have more than 2 of China's most popular cultural influences. should she suddenly talk about the great wall?
i mean, there's only so much you can put into a character at once.
nah man nah
Baiken is def a samurai and shit, and I do think that Japan's reverence for the samurai and their era goes too far at times, Baiken's overall design and feel have more interesting design elements to it that help her stand out as a unique example, rather than a stereotypical one. Her one arm, overall grizzled look, and general grouchy and bloodthirsty personality are all pretty unique for a female character and it helps that her bloodthirst isn't played for sadistic jollies, but more an indication that her chase for revenge is eating away at her sanity.
Furthermore, Japan is fucking gone in Guilty Gear. The japanese are treated as national treasure and commidities and shit, so the likes of Baiken and Anji are the last vestiges of their culture at all.
It makes a decently interesting viewpoint that these characters would cling tightly to the notable aspects of their cultures, so that they can more proudly identify as Japanese in a world where it's fucking gone.

that's just my viewpoint tho
if you like ass and legs and rushdown then w/e mang

So guys what's going o-

140px-GGXRD_YellowRC.png

Reactions: EA575
btw, it's become apparent to me that I came off as "whiney" whenever I said "when's Jam" in any instance.
for the record, if Jam was actually the 2nd to last character to return, I'd be okay with that.
I was just doing the Annie thing.
I just thought it'd be funny.
like, if Baiken was chosen, I'd be fine with it.
it's not like I'd drop the game and say she ruined it for me.
Daisuke has said that eventually everyone would return, and I'm okay knowing that.

I am also gonna patiently wait for Anji.
because the game could use more macho men.

don't worry guys, you'll get your characters.

Never

She's forever lost in the dark corners of time.

I'm between surprised and "it makes sense" with Jam being the next available character with all the Ki shenanigans...

Question not about Jam

What's the appeal of this game? I just played -SIGN- for six hours and was utterly disappointed by everything except the soundtrack.

I just wanted to know why people play it.

I love it for the music, the style, and while it has a lot of mechanics, it's actually easy to get into.

A lot of people who play GG have been playing for a long while. The music and characters are pretty awesome.

For me, it's like the biggest Easter Egg hunt ever since the series gives Jojo's Bizarre Adventure a run for its money with all the music references.

What's the appeal of this game? I just played -SIGN- for six hours and was utterly disappointed by everything except the soundtrack.

I ask myself this about GG on a regular basis, so I'm actually quite curious too.
I mean I'm biased to Blazblue but I legitimately want to know

I like GG because I hate Blazblue and I gotta like one of the two Arcsys fightans.

Plus metal's pretty cool.

Reactions: majorgalaxy
I like GG because I hate Blazblue and I gotta like one of the two Arcsys fightans.

Plus metal's pretty cool.
You make it sound like your just settling for the lesser of two evils since GG isn't at least BB. Do you genuinely like GG?

You make it sound like your just settling for the lesser of two evils since GG isn't at least BB. Do you genuinely like GG?

I do. I love the character designs (especially dudes like Slayer, Kliff, Milia, and Sol) and the overall rockin metal feel and tones of everything. IT'S JUST FUCKIN COOL and way bettererer than Blazblue's anime mess.

You mean Guilty Gear or Xrd? You better be talking about Xrd.

Question not about Jam

"What's the appeal of this game? I just played Skullgirls for six hours and was utterly disappointed by everything except the soundtrack.

I just wanted to know why people play it"

like people like the game, just because it isnt ur cup of tea dosnt mean it lacks appeal

I like character design. I like the game mechanics. I like the pacing of the game. I like the soundtrack. I like A.B.A. I think it is just an overall fantastic feeling game... fairly well balanced all things considered too, imo.

Question not about Jam

I feel like MOST people say they love Guilty Gear is because it is "cool to like." I wish people would have opinions and not just praise the "cooler game." Xrd -SIGN- is not a good game at all in my opinion (To give a few reasons: YRC OS, No throw techs, Danger time, Hell fire, Unbalanced).

I like GG cause I've been playing the game since I was young(PS1) so Xrd has that nostalgic feeling to me. I like Xrd because it's trying to be it's own thing not the same game with better graphics. Aside from that I LOVE the character designs, music, lore, mechanics, the pacing, etc. Also like Spencer said it's a pretty balanced game(for the most part), but of course there are things that I think SHOULD be in the game like throw techs(there adding it in Rev). I question some of the decisions that went into Xrd, but it doesn't ruin the overall experience for me.

Last edited:
Guilty Gear is a very open ended game, the matchups don't boil down to do 1 of these 4 things your character does and that's all they do like in BB.

Guilty Gear is just a fun game with a fun aesthetic. It has a lot of crazy stuff, but it is generally toned down in comparrisson to BB so matchups don't become ridiculously 1 sided or focus around 1 thing in particular. Ok well, i-No vs Axl does, but those are mostly exceptions in Guilty Gear.

I started fighting games with BB and didn't really get into BB until a year or 2 afterwards, but I still play GG XX and yes, Xrd to this day while I'm pretty much writing Central Fiction off already. I want to enjoy it, but I think as with Chrono Phantasma I will be pretty disappointed.

EDIT: In general, I like the system/universal mechanics in GG far more, the meter system far more, the pace of the game far more etc etc.

I feel like MOST people say they love Guilty Gear is because it is "cool to like." I wish people would have opinions and not just praise the "cooler game." Xrd -SIGN- is not a good game at all in my opinion (To give a few reasons: YRC OS, No throw techs, Danger time, Hell fire, Unbalanced).

Most is a pretty large, sweeping generalization... especially when the implication is that the few (of which you are presumably a part) have some how seen the light past the 'shitty' game that managed to fool all the rest.

I mean, you're damn welcome to your own opinion, but you come across a little (lot) holier than thou trying to lead us poor lambs.

Reactions: Zombies8MyLeg
I ask myself this about GG on a regular basis
Missed this earlier, why are you even here? What's more have you ever actually put time into Guilty Gear? Did you play Xrd? AC? Did you dump it after five minutes? The XX series, especially at the end are great games, it's as simple as that, some people enjoy good fighting games.

Last edited:
GG has lots of fun, cathartic systems exclusive to GG, YRCs included (Everyone is Dio for 25 meter). I also find the pace more fun than BB.

I enjoy GG, GGX Advanced edition was one of the first fighting games I ever played.

I enjoy the characters, themes, the amount of content, and stages in GG. Best of all it feels great to play. Wish they kept FRCs though.

Plus Im a total slut for Axl and Potemkin.

Most is a pretty large, sweeping generalization... especially when the implication is that the few (of which you are presumably a part) have some how seen the light past the 'shitty' game that managed to fool all the rest.

I mean, you're damn welcome to your own opinion, but you come across a little (lot) holier than thou trying to lead us poor lambs.
........I don't see how I came off as "better than everyone else." (If that is what you are implying.) Maybe I exaggerated when I said "MOST." Hmmmmm.... "some?" Also, I said IN MY OPINION (I was stating my opinions). .... I still don't get how I am acting like I am better than everyone else. I'm just frustrated with the people who pretend they are hardcore GG fans because they want to be "cool." Also, If you like Xrd..... GREAT! I'm not trying to judge anyone who ACTUALLY likes it. You should also not judge me or anyone else for NOT liking it.

That still doesnt make sense to me.

If anything I see less say they're big fans of Guilty Gear and more people saying they're big fans of... whatever anime fighter is the flavor of the month.

That still doesnt make sense to me.

If anything I see less say they're big fans of Guilty Gear and more people saying they're big fans of... whatever anime fighter is the flavor of the month.
You seem to be missing the point.....

Then explain the point to me. And explain it so that an 8 year old would understand.

My brother died of terminal cancer.

nah just messing around, I am the brother

But seriously, what am I not getting? I generally curious as to what you mean.

Personally, I'd probably enjoy Guilty Gear a lot more if the choice of games wasn't between being an execution monster or braindead option selects everywhere.

GGXX is a better designed game overall but I hate things like FRCs and inputs that are really easy to mess up.

I dont I like FRCs and how it rewards execution stronger pressure, stronger oki, moves being safe on block, etc.

Personally, I'd probably enjoy Guilty Gear a lot more if the choice of games wasn't between being an execution monster or braindead option selects everywhere.

GGXX is a better designed game overall but I hate things like FRCs and inputs that are really easy to mess up.

What brain dead option selects everywhere?

Ah... for some reason I was thinking the choice of games was between XX and Xrd, not GG and BB.

I don't play much XX, but it does have my all time favorite fighting game character. That said, it does feel a little bloated.

I'm very sympathetic to the criticisms of Xrd too (I despise DT as much as anyone), but I like that it is its own thing and is pretty streamlined with most things feeling pretty useful. I like its balance. If anything, it has too strong of a high tier, but each character is viable regardless of that (top 8 at EVO had a Sin and an Axl).

Overall, I think it is a great fighter.

Reactions: Wenzel
Xrd has stupid option selects, hopefully they are going to be removed though.

The worst of which being the any special > FD OS.

There are still YRC OS, especially involving air command throws. Yes it is a niche, but I play I-No and I can abuse it, knowing it is stupid.

Reactions: Wenzel