• As part of the relaunch of Skullheart, ALL previous threads have been archived. You can find them at the bottom of the forum in the Archives (2021) section. The archives are locked, so please use the new forum sections to create new discussion threads.

How do you think Marie will play?

fun fact the thing who does the punch is actually hilgard the skeleton with a bow it was confirmed on twiiter
As we can see, this Skeleton is really multitalented.
Also, it makes way more sense that Cerebella's pants are glitching. It was a beautiful case of empathy.

I hope to see the final animation sooner, because I barely understand what's going on here :PUN:

Yes, he was the guy who ran/owned Marie and Patricia's orphanage.
Now I really hope it will be a part of her story mode. It has to.

I wonder if Hilgard was able to shoot lasers from his eyes when he was alive...

Maybe there'll be a third attack that summons him, with each different attack corresponding to what "strength" of button is pressed during the command, sort of like those two characters' own "summon" moves.
That would be my guess yeah, if we follow SG's character gameplay design logic.

I wonder if Hilgard was able to shoot lasers from his eyes when he was alive...
From his mouth actually. :P But yeah, now that we know he appears in several attacks, there might not be anything specific about his ability to shoot lasers and it could just be Marie's channeling her SG power through him. Perhaps the fact that they have a personal connection allow them to work together better and she could use more powerful attacks with him.

Reactions: Holy Goose
The animation streams are back, and there's some amazing news already.

Take a Bow.png

• Love
Reactions: tristePinguino
The animation streams are back, and there's some amazing news already.

oh man they added that as a intro? epic

oh man they added that as a intro? epic
I'm not sure what would it be.
People in the chat said it was assist-related, if I remember correctly.

Anyway, it already looks awesome, even at the early stages of animation.

I guess, every new playable character is going to have their own army of rabbits from now on.
Imagine Feng and her birds with bunny ears and tails. Cute.

Also, isn't it strange that Umbrella is the only Season 1 fighter without anything rabbit-like in her image and playstyle?..

I guess, every new playable character is going to have their own army of rabbits from now on.
Imagine Feng and her birds with bunny ears and tails. Cute.

Also, isn't it strange that Umbrella is the only Season 1 fighter without anything rabbit-like in her image and playstyle?..
they say on twiiter she can only spawn 1 in gameplay thought

Dunno if it's worth anything, but Umbrella's got that Sagan ice pop. :P

Shhhhhhh Secret Stuff
Alrighty then! Plenty to see from Combo Breaker! Including Pre-Alpha Marie stuff!

Gameplay is subject to change, but have some unsolicited observations:

- Marie can double-jump!
- As per today's clip, Marie's body-check attack seems to be a Special. The version that does not yield a hit allows her to pass through/cross-up opponents, similar to Double's "Flesh Step"!
- It appears her aerial canister flail can be prolonged, "charging" the attack for a more advantageous strike. The canister becomes engulfed in flame when the attack is charged. The charged version incurs wall-splat on hit, whereas the uncharged version does not. The spinning seems to yield no hitbox. The strike itself disrupts Marie's momentum.
- Air-throw sends the opponent full-screen and incurs wall-splat.
- Attacks other than Marie's crouching bellows attack can be used to hit/move dust bunnies.
- Her giant fireball Super can be performed on the ground.
- She has a previously unseen command throw (?) in which she utilizes her vacuum.
- And a previously unseen Super in which a giant, skeletal hand seizes the opponent. Currently, this break the game, lol.
- The skeleton that appears to help Marie block will react in shock if Marie is hit by a mix-up.
- Marie whips out an entire upright piano to jam on in her win pose.
- Marie currently has a palette in which her main colors are inverted. :D
- Unrelated, but: Filia's been spotted with a Sonic palette! Surprised this hasn't happened sooner.

Good stuff!

Dunno if it's worth anything, but Umbrella's got that Sagan ice pop. :P
Thanks. Forgot about that.
Proves the theory, yay!

Marie currently has a palette in which her main colors are inverted. :D
I hope they'll save this one for the full release. It's precious.

I also noticed that Hilgard now has a larger sprite and the laser attack with him has a more finished animation.
Yeah, looks more impressive. Can't wait to see his other animations. Though, I would miss glitchy Cerebella.

Reactions: tristePinguino
I'm hoping that the piano in her winning animation will have mini heads of the characters on the opponent's team that she has defeated, similarly to the cover of the soundtrack.

images

Also if you could somehow play the piano similarly to Band's trumpet that would be sick but probably a bit too complicated lol

I'm wondering how everyone is feeling about Marie so far? Is she living up to her playstyle speculation or is she turning out different than what we expected? Personally, I'm really loving what I see so far. I am a bit surprised since it doesn't look like she'll be a dedicated zoner like I originally thought. It looks like she's turning into more of a hybrid character of some sorts, Mix-up / set-[lay perhaps? Either way, can't wait till her playable alpha drops, hopefully soon.
fdadaf.PNG
__bloody_marie_skullgirls_and_1_more__sample-201548f12fdd525e8fe2e9e1d49bf67f.jpg

I'm wondering how everyone is feeling about Marie so far? Is she living up to her playstyle speculation or is she turning out different than what we expected? Personally, I'm really loving what I see so far. I am a bit surprised since it doesn't look like she'll be a dedicated zoner like I originally thought. It looks like she's turning into more of a hybrid character of some sorts, Mix-up / set-[lay perhaps? Either way, can't wait till her playable alpha drops, hopefully soon.
I'm liking the look and feel of her and she's got some truly interesting tools like dust bunny, ribcage strike and Hilgard summons. However, one of the main things that appealed to me based on her old gameplay speculation is her vacuum sucking/blowing mechanic which allows her to manipulate the opponent's vectors similar to Rachel Alucard's wind, which we haven't seen in the showcases. A little bit disappointing but I can understand if they exclude it if it's too complicated to implement/balance.

Reactions: Will and Holy Goose
However, one of the main things that appealed to me based on her old gameplay speculation is her vacuum sucking/blowing mechanic which allows her to manipulate the opponent's vectors similar to Rachel Alucard's wind, which we haven't seen in the showcases. A little bit disappointing but I can understand if they exclude it if it's too complicated to implement/balance.

Now that you mention it that sounds like a really cool idea, that would be soooo sick. Trust me, I know how you feel brother. I would love some Rachel inspired gameplay myself since she's one of my favorite characters to play in all of FGs alongside Elphelt Valentine. It's kind of shame that the vacuum attack just turned out to be a command grab which is still cool and makes sense funnily enough but it feels like somewhat of a missed opportunity imo. It is still way too early to tell for sure but there might be a chance the vacuum attack will have some sort of special interactions with her dust bunnies so we'll just have to wait and see till her Alpha drops. Other than that though, I'm fine with the direction they're deciding to go with her and now that I think about it, Maries dust bunnies reminds me George the 13th (The GOAT). I have no idea if Maries dusties were inspired by George or not but even and they don't function exactly the same but even still, I'm at least glad she has something that reminds me of Rachel so can't complain too much. What I'm most curious about now is her main gameplay gimmick. As of right now, she's been living up to her gameplay speculation so far and a good portion of her moveset has already been shown off. If I had to take a wild guess, she'll probably get at least 1-3 more specials (I'm expecting at least one projectile and another summon of some sorts) and 1-2 more supers (I have no idea what they would go with tbh), so all that'd be really left to speculate on would be her actual gameplay gimmick. I don't think its TOO much of a stretch to say we'll probably see the sucking up corpses of fallen allies to make herself stronger thing be implemented. Either that or some sort of mechanic tied to her summons maybe? Or heck it could be both which would be pretty cool

She may not have wind, but she does have push/pull with her directional lasers, and plenty of weird projectiles. I think she will be similarly fun to play.

(how do you expect so many more moves? she's already flush!)

(how do you expect so many more moves? she's already flush!)

I'm expecting at the very least 1 more summon, MAYBE 2 since Marie only having 2 summons in her kit (Not sure if we're counting the dust bunnies) would be kinda strange imo. I'm also expecting at least some sort of projectile since it would make sense and dust bunnies while cool, aren't going to cut it for neutral considering the way they seem to function once thrown. As for supers, if she doesn't at least get a Level 5 given she's the boss character and all, I'm going to be so sad but if not, I'm expecting at most 1 more super. Maybe a summon based super perhaps? I have no idea what it could be though. I could be totally wrong which is fine, I just like fan girling about she'll turn out, so don't mind me if you disagree

Reactions: Chrono_Tata
Yea a level five would be fun. Big skeleton actually shows up perhaps? She has Big Skeleton Fist and Big Skeleton Grab already.

Reactions: Holy Goose and Will
Did anybody who played her at combo breaker say which moves corresponded to which buttons/commands?

It's kind of shame that the vacuum attack just turned out to be a command grab which is still cool and makes sense funnily enough but it feels like somewhat of a missed opportunity imo. It is still way too early to tell for sure but there might be a chance the vacuum attack will have some sort of special interactions with her dust bunnies so we'll just have to wait and see till her Alpha drops.
Yeah, I would have thought her vacuum command throw was just a regular throw if I hadn't seen her regular throw before. No idea where they are going with this one but I hope it has some interesting mechanic planned. Maybe the range could be increased by spending resources or something.

As for supers, if she doesn't at least get a Level 5 given she's the boss character and all, I'm going to be so sad but if not, I'm expecting at most 1 more super. Maybe a summon based super perhaps? I have no idea what it could be though. I could be totally wrong which is fine, I just like fan girling about she'll turn out, so don't mind me if you disagree
Completely agree on this one. The original characters with Level 5s were Val and Double who are midbosses, and I think Marie definitely qualifies for a Level 5.

Yea a level five would be fun. Big skeleton actually shows up perhaps? She has Big Skeleton Fist and Big Skeleton Grab already.
My best guess is one that turns her into her boss form for a limited time, like Megalith Array.

Yeah, I would have thought her vacuum command throw was just a regular throw if I hadn't seen her regular throw before. No idea where they are going with this one but I hope it has some interesting mechanic planned. Maybe the range could be increased by spending resources or something.
I don't know if anyone has mentioned it yet but after going over some footage again, her command throw does seem to pull you in which is very interesting. Not sure how useful / practical it will actually be but does seem very cool nonetheless.

I guess while were on the topic of supers, is there a reason why some characters get level 5s and others dont? Also, why are there no level 4's in this game lol? Like I don't think I've ever seen a character with an actual level 4 which is bizzare.

I guess while were on the topic of supers, is there a reason why some characters get level 5s and others dont? Also, why are there no level 4's in this game lol? Like I don't think I've ever seen a character with an actual level 4 which is bizzare.
Historically, Skullgirls followed in the footsteps of the MvC series where there are Level 1, Level 3, and Level 5 supers. Even though the gameplay mostly resemble MvC2, the super pattern actually most closely follow MvC3 where everyone has 2 Level 1s and 1Level 3 by standard. Level 5 supers are very rare - Phoenix is the only character who has one.

In SG, all 8 of the launch characters had 2 Level 1s and 1 Level 3, with the exception of the "midboss" characters, Val and Double, also having 1 Level 5.

The first character in the game having a Level 2 super is Painwheel. It's because her Level 3 at the time, Hatred Install, was so bad as a Level 3, it was decided that for balance, it should have the bar requirement reduced by 1 while being slightly nerfed, so people are actually more likely to use it. Turned out to be a great decision since Hatred Install is now one of the best DHCs in the game (not sure if one can say the same for the rest of PW's balance). In the same patch, Pinion Dash was removed for point character, so the animation was reused to give her a new Level 3, Buer Overdrive. That's why she has 4 supers including a Level 2.

So yeah, Painwheel getting a Level 2 super kinda opened the possibility for other characters to get Level 2 as well, but it's still a "non-standard" super so it's rare. I'm pretty sure the only reason Annie got one is because she has so many supers (due to her being originally made for SGM), that they thought it would be boring/harder to balance to make them all Level 1 and 3s. Same-level supers naturally compete against each other for utility so making it a Level 2 gives it a different set of utility that stands on its own.

Level 5s also remain rare for the most part, and they are either Level 5s for a good reason (like Val, Double, Big Band and Robo), so there is no justification to balance them by reducing them down to a Level 4, or they are joke moves that weren't intended to be balanced in the first place anyway (like Squigly and Fukua). Balancing a Level 5 by making them a Level 4 wouldn't make much sense anyway. A Level 2 is so good because it reduces the bar requirement on DHC by 50%. A Level 4 would only reduce it by 25% which is nowhere near as exciting.

Val and Double got Level 5s because they are midboss characters, as mentioned earlier. Pretty sure the reason Band got one was because he was a "dev character", and Mike wanted the Level 5 to showcase his trumpet playing mechanic, which is admittedly very cool. Robo has a "chargable" super so naturally it goes up to using all 5 bars. Squigly's is a hidden joke super. Fukua's I think is also a joke super because they wanted the "grappler" character to have a 360 super and it didn't fit anywhere else in her kit.

I think the only character that should have got a Level 5 but didn't is Eliza, since she is supposed to be a midboss character as well.

who needs wind when you have skeleton grabs

So does this mean no more daily uploads or just no more daily ''gameplay related'' uploads? Feels like they've already shown off most of what she has. I know the cerebella place holder summon hasn't been shown off yet but that one may still be a WIP so not sure if that one counts or not

So does this mean no more daily uploads or just no more daily ''gameplay related'' uploads? Feels like they've already shown off most of what she has. I know the cerebella place holder summon hasn't been shown off yet but that one may still be a WIP so not sure if that one counts or not
If you mean the "one more gameplay clip before the weekend", I think it's just that. They are out of office for the weekend so they posted one last video for the week and returning next week on Monday lol.

But yeah, I feel like the majority of her kit has been shown already. However, they are still in unfinished states so I'm sure the social media accounts will continue to post updates to moves they have already shown, or new moves if there are still any.

But yeah, I feel like the majority of her kit has been shown already. However, they are still in unfinished states so I'm sure the social media accounts will continue to post updates to moves they have already shown, or new moves if there are still any.
I'm still banking on at least one more summon at most and probably what her gameplay gimmick will be since they still haven't mentioned it yet, which is kinda weird ngl

I'm still banking on at least one more summon at most and probably what her gameplay gimmick will be since they still haven't mentioned it yet, which is kinda weird ngl
Yeah I think one more Hilgard summon would make sense, but hard to say. I thought we would have 3 Hilgard summons based on different strengths, but it seems more like the laser summon is one set of specials with different angle of lasers based on button strength, so the punching summon may also be a different set with properties based on button strength as well. Which means there might not be another distinct Hilgard summon at all.

From the look of things so far, with Hilgard and Dust Bunny, I feel like her gimmick will be summons, similarly to Peacock. But while Peacock uses her summons and projectiles generally to keep away the opponent, Marie uses hers more to lock them down? I'm not positive that we would get anything like wind mechanic or the corpse sucking mechanic that were proposed in the DLC voting. But yeah, it would be nice to get a write-up of her gameplay plan from the devs at some point, like what Dahlia got before her alpha release.

(snip) Feels like they've already shown off most of what she has. I know the cerebella place holder summon hasn't been shown off yet but that one may still be a WIP so not sure if that one counts or not
I wonder when she will come to beta? It looks like she is mostly complete minus color pallets, replacing cerebella place holder summon, maybe a win/loss pose, and voice. Many other characters launched in to dev missing those types of things. Judging by the videos it looks like she is pretty much ready. Other than waiting for evo I don't see why they couldn't just drop her into beta mode tomorrow if they wanted to. tbh I don't think they need to wait for evo.

I wonder when she will come to beta? It looks like she is mostly complete minus color pallets, replacing cerebella place holder summon, maybe a win/loss pose, and voice. Many other characters launched in to dev missing those types of things. Judging by the videos it looks like she is pretty much ready. Other than waiting for evo I don't see why they couldn't just drop her into beta mode tomorrow if they wanted to. tbh I don't think they need to wait for evo.
I mean, at CB there was literally a bug where one of the supers crashed the game, so probably not quite ready for wide distribution yet. The Season Pass has been heavily delayed so perhaps they are aiming for less alpha/beta patches for Marie in order to save time.

I mean, at CB there was literally a bug where one of the supers crashed the game, so probably not quite ready for wide distribution yet. The Season Pass has been heavily delayed so perhaps they are aiming for less alpha/beta patches for Marie in order to save time.
Yeah I saw that, but that crash seemed to be more of an issue of the super not being completely implemented yet. If she were in open alpha/beta at that time I don't think that super would have been accessible.

I don't know how less patches = saving time, the work needs to be done regardless-- just a matter of if the patch/branch gets pushed internal or external. Typically releasing to an open beta allows devs to discover issues and hash out implementations, both of which need to be done anyway. The open beta adds many more eyes to help the devs discover those issues and approaches to tune implementations. Maybe there are other things we don't know about that crash the game but with alpha/beta crashes are to be expected. I get crashes still in the main game now and then (typically when someone drops from an online match).

Who knows maybe there is something they want to close out the season pass with they don't want us to see?

Yeah I saw that, but that crash seemed to be more of an issue of the super not being completely implemented yet. If she were in open alpha/beta at that time I don't think that super would have been accessible.

I don't know how less patches = saving time, the work needs to be done regardless-- just a matter of if the patch/branch gets pushed internal or external. Typically releasing to an open beta allows devs to discover issues and hash out implementations, both of which need to be done anyway. The open beta adds many more eyes to help the devs discover those issues and approaches to tune implementations. Maybe there are other things we don't know about that crash the game but with alpha/beta crashes are to be expected. I get crashes still in the main game now and then (typically when someone drops from an online match).

Who knows maybe there is something they want to close out the season pass with they don't want us to see?
I think it's more of the fact that there are dev builds that are used internally, and public beta builds that needs to be pushed out to everyone, which likely requires some effort to implement. Even with Steam's lax requirement compared to consoles, the public beta builds need to have some level of quality checking to make sure it's not going to cause issues with people's PC, and making sure the beta builds don't contain assets from the dev builds that are not supposed to get out. Most of the issues being fedback by the public would be related more to balance and sometimes edge-case bugs, but serious bugs would need to quashed before they can even go out in beta in the first place.

I think having several betas can help with refining the balancing as much as possible before her official release, but if the goal is to deliver her official release as quickly as possible (something I'm sure is on their minds considering the Season Pass's overall delay), it could probably be done much more efficiently by spending less manpower QC'ing public beta builds. But I'm not a dev so that's just my guess. :P

I find it kinda interesting that based on the development animations, they need to use 3D models for her vacuum tube. I guess it sorta makes sense since it helps keeps the length and girth (heh) of the tube consistent across all animations but it never occurred to me that animators need to use 3D models for something as simple as a tube.

I find it kinda interesting that based on the development animations, they need to use 3D models for her vacuum tube. I guess it sorta makes sense since it helps keeps the length and girth (heh) of the tube consistent across all animations but it never occurred to me that animators need to use 3D models for something as simple as a tube.
They don't NEED to but it sure does make the process go a lot faster. I believe they have done that for a lot of things. Dahila's gun, Annie's blade, Eliza's weapon etc..