• As part of the relaunch of Skullheart, ALL previous threads have been archived. You can find them at the bottom of the forum in the Archives (2021) section. The archives are locked, so please use the new forum sections to create new discussion threads.

I'm McPeanuts I made a thread

I always get frustrated. Doesn't seem to matter who I'm playing against or what the score is or anything, sets just piss me off. I've pretty much only played quick match for the past couple months.
Maybe you should try and tank through some long sets.

Even if you get frustrated it's still worth it unless it really makes you hate the game.

Well, it's worth it if you want to get better and you think that's more important than having maximum 'in the moment' fun.

Like Quick Match doesn't represent how the game is played at ANY event which is why it's so bad.
(2/3 QM Pls @Mike_Z)

You can bust out all your gimmicks and win, or make one or two mistakes and lose the 'set' and take the loss.

When your Double gets opened up some way in neutral, or your Peacock has a big hole that your opponent slips through, those are things you should think about fixing for the next round.
If you don't try and fix the things that went wrong, you're not going to have the answer when you play in a tournament.

Even though you can try and prevent whatever happened vs the next person you play against in QM, they're not going to be thinking the same and trying to exploit that weakness the other guy found before.

The more holes you patch in your gameplay in a set, the better prepared you are for tournaments and all games in general.

I guess that's my 2C, sorry if you've heard it before / don't care!

I don't disagree sets are a better way to practice the game (although I think there's things you can practice better on quick match, and I also don't think you're giving QM regulars enough credit in a few of your points). But sets seriously make me so angry I would rather just quit the game entirely. I don't even like to run into the same person too many times on QM.

Honestly it would probably be better for me to quit SG and stop going to tournaments, but I like the game and community too much, so I'm trying to find a way to make it work. QM seems like an ok compromise.

I'm just curious, do you get the same frustration when you play offline tournament sets or is it pretty much exclusively online? I remember kenin saying that online always gets him super tight even when he's winning, but he's much more relaxed about the game offline.

What does that have to do with anything
I was trying to be lighthearted but it backfired ):

I'm just curious, do you get the same frustration when you play offline tournament sets or is it pretty much exclusively online? I remember kenin saying that online always gets him super tight even when he's winning, but he's much more relaxed about the game offline.
I don't typically get mad in tournament because tournament's usually 2/3 and I don't get mad in a set that short most of the time. It also helps that this game doesn't have rounds.
I was trying to be lighthearted but it backfired ):
Sall good

Compliment QM practice with maybe one or two 2/3 sets with strong players per day? I'm sure most people would be happy to run a quick 2/3 or 3/5 against you online.
Guess I could try this. I think a lot of people would have an issue with playing a set that short but w/e I'll just find the people who don't.

I'd be happy to.

Maybe what you COULD do is play longer sets, but run them as groups of FT2's. I do this when I play offline casuals because it keeps me focused and makes everything way easier to digest. Liam and I usually run our sets in groups of FT10's.

I'd be happy to.

Maybe what you COULD do is play longer sets, but run them as groups of FT2's. I do this when I play offline casuals because it keeps me focused and makes everything way easier to digest. Liam and I usually run our sets in groups of FT10's.
Ehhhhhh one thing at a time lol. Let me see how running a FT2 every day works and then I'll see where I wanna go from there.

e: Prolly will record these too cause why not

Just put replays on and record the replays after.

Easier to look at things and learn without the GGPO rollbacks.

Also I am down for FT3's just @ me on Twitter @Blaise_God when you want to play.

Reactions: GrunkleBarlowe
Just put replays on and record the replays after.

Easier to look at things and learn without the GGPO rollbacks.

Also I am down for FT3's just @ me on Twitter @Blaise_God when you want to play.
Did Mike fix replays with Argus Agony? Last time I tried it replays with Peacock still desynched all the time.

McPeanuts aka the online cosplayer aka I hope we run into each other on quick match more (or you just end up playing a short set with me sometime) because those matches were very fun.

The set I uploaded of us playing was via replays and the Arguses seemed okay.

When it does desync, you can usually just watch the replay again and it works eventually.

The set I uploaded of us playing was via replays and the Arguses seemed okay.

When it does desync, you can usually just watch the replay again and it works eventually.
Alright I will probably just do that then.

Here's some updates from the past week or so.

As I mentioned before I wanted to build a second team to handle some of my bad matchups. After talking with some folks I settled on focusing on Painwheel for now since she does cover a few matchups I don't like for Peacock. Not sure what the Painwheel team would be yet, I want to play her a bit and figure out what she needs. My first two ideas, though, would be Double (M Bomber)/Painwheel (M Nail)/Big Band (L Beat Extend) and Painwheel (H Pinion)/Big Band (H Brass)/Squigly (c.HP). Which team I end up going with is sort of going to depend on whether I'd rather have Beat Extend or Brass for Painwheel. You'll note Peacock isn't on either team, which is deliberate; the idea is to have a team for matchups where Peacock's a liability.

I'm also sort of interested in building a point Big Band team, if only because that's a character I already know how to play and he does beat Beowulf. Maybe some of my other characters also beat Beowulf though??? I play that matchup so rarely that I have no good feel for it with anyone. Anyways I haven't actually put any work into this so far, it's just something I've had on my mind. I've also been thinking about a team that doesn't have Big Band on it anywhere for matchups where they have Robo Fortune in literally any position on their team. Like I said earlier H Osiris Spiral can do most of what I use L Beat Extend for, so maybe that's something I could try out.

The FT2 every day has been going okay. I missed Sunday but made it up by playing two sets Monday. Feels like something I would be able to stick with. It's still annoying to lose but I can only get so upset since it's only two games. Playing two sets in a row might be dangerous though, I need to make sure I stay on top of this so I don't have to make up for missed days. I'm also almost done analyzing my NEC matches, just need to take a look at the match with Liam in top 8. In short though the trend I'm noticing is that I lose when my opponents punish my mistakes and I win when they don't. Not sure what to take away from that. Make fewer mistakes? I was kind of already trying to do that, though. There's more to it than that obviously but I wanna post all the videos together when they're done.

You'll note Peacock isn't on either team, which is deliberate; the idea is to have a team for matchups where Peacock's a liability.

I'm surprised to hear you say you want a team for matchups when Peacock is a liability, I don't play peacock of course but I mentioned this to you one time when I was talking about big band; every character in the game has bad matchups but with big band anyway the bad MUs just FEEL worse. Even you had said you might want a team to pick against robo that doesn't have BB on it because that matchup suuuuuuuuucks. BB aside though, the question I was going to ask was are there matchups that peacock is really so bad in that you would rather not play the character? For me for example, filia has a lot of bad MUs, para being the worst imo, but (assuming I still have an assist alive) I've been playing filia long enough that I feel reasonably confident that I won't lose to a parasoul based on matchup. My impression of your peacock was that even if you didn't like fighting filia/val/etc your peacock was good enough to handle it, while BB just has some matchups that its very hard to fight (especially since BB being on anchor he's more likely to have to do a solo comeback than peacock is, but that's another topic)

BB aside though, the question I was going to ask was are there matchups that peacock is really so bad in that you would rather not play the character?
Valentine and Filia. So, this counterpick would really be for Duck and cloudKing specifically, since against most Vals and Filia I feel confident enough running my own shit (e: except Wing, but he also plays Parasoul and Squigly). Maybe also Fortune; I don't feel like Peacock vs Fortune is particularly bad for Peacock, but it's not good, and if I have a Painwheel then like why not play my Painwheel, feel me?

As far as anchor Big Band goes, I sort of play my main team like Peacock and Double need to do 100% of the work, and if it comes down to Big Band by himself the game is probably over. Like I don't put the controller down but I don't expect to win from that position.

Valentine and Filia. So, this counterpick would really be for Duck and cloudKing specifically, since against most Vals and Filia I feel confident enough running my own shit (e: except Wing, but he also plays Parasoul and Squigly). Maybe also Fortune; I don't feel like Peacock vs Fortune is particularly bad for Peacock, but it's not good, and if I have a Painwheel then like why not play my Painwheel, feel me?

As far as anchor Big Band goes, I sort of play my main team like Peacock and Double need to do 100% of the work, and if it comes down to Big Band by himself the game is probably over. Like I don't put the controller down but I don't expect to win from that position.

Do you see yourself going the infiltration route, and learning most of the characters to eventually counter pick every other SG player?

Do you see yourself going the infiltration route, and learning most of the characters to eventually counter pick every other SG player?
idk. Sorta feels like that's where the metagame's heading, though.

idk. Sorta feels like that's where the metagame's heading, though.

but isn't that with most FGs out there? Unless your a character loyalists of the likes of Luffy, NYCFurby, and such others. (me included but that how I always been)

but isn't that with most FGs out there? Unless your a character loyalists of the likes of Luffy, NYCFurby, and such others. (me included but that how I always been)
Most modern fighting games? I guess that's true. Maybe it wasn't true for this game until now because it was getting patched so often and people were struggling to keep track of how 2-3 characters worked, but now that it's done it's easier to branch out and learn new characters. Who knows. (Also who says "NYCFurby" instead of "Art", wth)

Most modern fighting games? I guess that's true. Maybe it wasn't true for this game until now because it was getting patched so often and people were struggling to keep track of how 2-3 characters worked, but now that it's done it's easier to branch out and learn new characters. Who knows. (Also who says "NYCFurby" instead of "Art", wth)

lol I was going put type in Art, but It would be pretty vague for anyone else reading this thread to not know who art is, other then some dude. I think what keeps things in check though is the numbers game. While there may be a counter pick of one or two characters, said person can go for all damage with going solo, or vice versa with a full 3 man team. The damage and health adjustment to each tier does change it to where it can be possible to be a character loyalists, and still outright win even if counter picked. The meta of this game is still changing in terms of how players will choose which characters, and even with the counter pick match ups, I feel that if players play enough of that match up to learn how to beat it, then its not really a counter pick really. Ala Sagat vs Gief where Gief is being played by Snake Eyes, and he for the most part wins that match up, even though on paper he shouldn't.

NEC analysis vids are up. Anyone who's got time to watch these, I appreciate any tips you got for me. The set with Medic was uploaded but it's private at the moment, that one's going to be on the next IWTBS whenever that happens. I didn't record the one with Dolfin because I have Big Plans for that. The other three are right here. To save you the trouble of trying to find the unedited versions of these matches, I linked them in the description for each one.

Unfortunately my local replays are desynched so I can't upload my daily FT2s. Honestly I'm not sure I would have anyways, it's been a fair amount of work to get these other videos up. In any case these were the results of last week:

Dolfin: 0-2
Raz: 2-1
Biz Casual: 2-1
Deer: 2-0
Fuzzy Snugs: 0-2
Yaya: 2-0
Sonic Fox: 0-2

I know I'm super late to this discussion but @mcpeanuts have you tried shorter sets like FT5? Most people, myself included, get upset at long sets because after awhile you're not really learning anything, just getting frustrated if you're losing or feeling yourself if you're winning. Keeping the sets shorter is better for both players.

I know I'm super late to this discussion but @mcpeanuts have you tried shorter sets like FT5? Most people, myself included, get upset at long sets because after awhile you're not really learning anything, just getting frustrated if you're losing or feeling yourself if you're winning. Keeping the sets shorter is better for both players.
Depending on how this daily FT2 thing shakes up I may increase the lengths of the sets, but right now it's going pretty well and I'm just gonna stick with it.

Unfortunately my local replays are desynched so I can't upload my daily FT2s.
Have you tried loading them more than once?

Also if they're 100% borked you could give them to Mike to look at.
(For much later when he's off vacation.)

EDIT: Double post please don't ban me Worldjem

Few things RE: Nec match Analysis vs Liam

- Round Start -
You talk about being unsure about your opener.
My safe opener was walk backwards and do nothing, then my minimal risk opener was the backdash L Shot + Assist.
Starting the round with Super Jump > Double Jump puts you in a really good spot.
You'll hit Robo Fortune in mid H Beam if you do jHP and you can also just fall on Parasoul with whatever.
I don't like taking any risks at all if I don't have to, so you should try and take advantage of that by at least putting yourself above me at the start if I won't contest it.

- Lenny Absorbing Lasers -
Robot's beam pierces fullscreen unless it hits something very close to her on the first active frame.
It has two hitboxes, the first one is like this:

2ef6a3075e.jpg

The second one that spawns next frame is the actual fullscreen beam that pierces and hits multiple targets.
If something hits that first hitbox, the second one won't come out.

Basically if you're fullscreen I'll still hit you if you're inside Lenny.
I won't be able to hit you with Beam if there's a sHP or L/M George right in front of me
You can Argus those failed beams on reaction.

(H Beam btw just shoots multiple projectiles very fast with really wide hitboxes, like imagine a rapid fire long H Bang, it doesn't pierce anything most of the time.)

- Team Order -

What if you just start your rounds off with some defensive beat extend junk and then a fullscreen puddle > Tag?
I think you should turn your first combo into sHP > Tag or sHP > Puddle > Tag.
I'm extrapolating but it seems like the point of Double start is to avoid the round start Peacock junk and let her get in safely, but you don't have to let her get in safely off a DHC kill.

One meter, or one confirm with low damage into a tag for the trade off of fullscreen zoning position and avoiding round start against Parasoul and other fast characters is not a bad trade at all.
Especially for you.

Maybe give that kind of mindset / goal a try in some Quick Match and see how it goes?
It was a big problem for you to have Peacock coming in on incoming so much.
I consider my Robot pretty dead and the round in a really bad situation if my Robot is coming in after Parasoul dies. (Which is why I try and prioritize Scope > Magnet 100% of the round always.)

Hope some of this helps.
I'd post more but my game is done downloading.

Reactions: mcpeanuts
- Round Start -
Hmmmm that's interesting. I guess I don't think of double jump j.HP as a safe option, but I guess in this kind of situation it could be.

- Lenny Absorbing Lasers -
Thanks, I had no clue how this move worked. Too bad the Lenny thing wouldn't work but now I got some other things I could try.

- Team Order -
Yeahhhhh you're right about this. I guess I've known this but I always feel like, hey, I got a hit with Double, maybe I should just............. keep hitting them. But the safer option by far is just go s.HP into tag, so I should be doing that more often.

I guess I've known this but I always feel like, hey, I got a hit with Double, maybe I should just............. keep hitting them. But the safer option by far is just go s.HP into tag, so I should be doing that more often.

i feel this so much, one of the great things on paper about my double/filia/bb team was that double can get a hit and monster tag combo/car dhc into filia to get the filia vortex started, but every time unless double was in danger of dying its like "well I already have this hit with a character that has a good vortex why not just kill them"

I wanna give up on the FT2 thing please advise

After every set just take 15-30 minutes and then ask for another. I would advise looking at youtube in the meantime then after the alotted time is up go for another set. Also limit your self to 5 sets perday or if thats rediculous then try 3 sets per day

Why?
Same reason as always, I was getting too upset. I'll try to stick with it but I'm not gonna try to make up days that I miss because that's too much added stress tbh

Same reason as always, I was getting too upset. I'll try to stick with it but I'm not gonna try to make up days that I miss because that's too much added stress tbh
So... what do you actually want to do? Just play quick match forever? You do run into the occasional good player here and there, but its way more beneficial to actually set up matches with players you know can help you improve.

If you can't play every day, don't stress yourself out by trying to make up for it. Just play the amount you can.

So... what do you actually want to do? Just play quick match forever? You do run into the occasional good player here and there, but its way more beneficial to actually set up matches with players you know can help you improve.
I feel it dude I don't feel like reading the thread before responding either. Shit's mad long

Reactions: Pickles