• As part of the relaunch of Skullheart, ALL previous threads have been archived. You can find them at the bottom of the forum in the Archives (2021) section. The archives are locked, so please use the new forum sections to create new discussion threads.

I'm McPeanuts I made a thread

I feel it dude I don't feel like reading the thread before responding either. Shit's mad long
Did I miss something? I was just responding to you wanting to quit the FT2 sets with people.

Did I miss something? I was just responding to you wanting to quit the FT2 sets with people.
I've already answered this question repeatedly and I didn't feel like answering it again. Short version I'd love to play sets but I don't feel like I'm able to do so.

I've already answered this question repeatedly and I didn't feel like answering it again. Short version I'd love to play sets but I don't feel like I'm able to do so.
I got that, but are even the FT2 sets really stressing you out that much? That's why I was asking if you wanted to just stick with quick match.

I got that, but are even the FT2 sets really stressing you out that much? That's why I was asking if you wanted to just stick with quick match.
Basically I was really stressed out about having to do it earlier, and that plus some other stuff got me to seriously lose my temper. I really can only have fun with this game if it's quick match, sets of any length feel like work. Which like I get that I need to push past that to improve but it's difficult is what I'm saying.

Basically I was really stressed out about having to do it earlier, and that plus some other stuff got me to seriously lose my temper. I really can only have fun with this game if it's quick match, sets of any length feel like work. Which like I get that I need to push past that to improve but it's difficult is what I'm saying.
Chances are you've covered this already, but have you pinpointed exactly what it is about sets that you don't like?

Same reason as always, I was getting too upset. I'll try to stick with it but I'm not gonna try to make up days that I miss because that's too much added stress tbh
Unfortunately, avoiding playing sets is not the way to prepare for tournaments. Tournaments are stressful...

Reactions: TheCrankMachine
Unfortunately, avoiding playing sets is not the way to prepare for tournaments. Tournaments are stressful...
This has not really been my experience honestly. I think sets are a lot more stressful than tournaments

If you don't mind my asking, what's so stressful about sets?

I can understand where peanuts is coming from. I can only say to push through it. There are many aspects of sets that are just....well....fucking aggravating. But the benefit of a set for me(the only thing that keeps me playing sets) is learning how the person reacts to the situation, gathering info and how to counter it. I dont get that from qm.

Try to look at it as a "study" as best as you can when you do ft2's

Maybe just take a break from the game for a while if it's getting too stressful, it's still just a game and if you're not having fun you might as well not play.

Maybe just take a break from the game for a while if it's getting too stressful, it's still just a game and if you're not having fun you might as well not play.
I'm having fun in quick match.

Apparently people don't think so!
Well it's not if you're trying to get better, but if you're getting too stressed you can just take a break from it by sticking to QM...

Well it's not if you're trying to get better, but if you're getting too stressed you can just take a break from it by sticking to QM...
Well I guess you can consider this a permanent break then. A break where I play the game for several hours every day and enter every major tournament.

Reactions: obregon and Mr Peck
I recently took a break from playing large sets with some people I use to play a lot with for a couple months and only really labbed for a bit every once in a while. Now that I'm playing again after that break I can say I rarely get frustrated if i perform well or if quick matches are less than ideal, It really helped me taking that break.

Just personal experience, of course it doesnt work for everyone, but if it gets to a point where you aren't sure about any kind of solutions I do suggest a small break. It helped me c:

Hell it isn't even specifically about the game itself but more the competitiveness and really heated community we have, people are passionate here and putting that much energy in your face/in others faces after a while can be quite tiring.

Well I guess you can consider this a permanent break then. A break where I play the game for several hours every day and enter every major tournament.
Yup! Just try to have fun...

I watched @Beamsprouts's set with @ShadeMoneh and took some notes. I'm putting them down here so I don't forget to test this stuff. If you want to follow along at home you can find the set right here.

Big Band corner extension: c.LK c.MPx2 s.HK xx M brass > OTG c.MP s.HK + call L bomb xx e brake. This probably works with both my assists actually.

Peacock: throw xx L bomb, dash up j.HK air backdash cancel
Peacock: throw xx L bomb, dash up c.MK
I actually learned Beamsprouts' post sliding knockdown mixups at one point and then completely forgot how to do them. I guess what I didn't like is that if they wake up pushing buttons you could get hit. M item stuff isn't fancy but you can block while doing a 50/50 which is pretty good. Got me thinking though, if I have the read that my opponent doesn't push a lot of buttons on wakeup, maybe I could still go for this stuff. It IS pretty hard to block.

Peacock mixup: launch, j.MP j.HP ADC j.LK (1 hit) j.HK, IAD j.LK
Peacock mixup 2: launch, j.MP j.HP ADC j.LK (1 hit) j.HK, rejump j.LP j.LK j.HK, dash under (?) c.LP
Peacock mixup: c.LK c.HP xx L bomb xx H bomb > grab. corner only?
I actually only know one mixup with Peacock that doesn't require an assist so I could use some more. These all look pretty good. The last one is really interesting since it looks like if they mash the bomb might keep you safe. I wanna see what the frames on that are like.

Big Band: jump in parry air grab. Seems like a marked improvement over jump in air grab which I already do pretty often.

Big Band c.LPx2 stuffs filia IAD. Maybe stuffs other IADs too? Will test.

Big Band corner burst bait: c.HP > s.LPx2 c.MPx2. A 4 hit burst bait that's w i l d. Wonder if I could get this to work midscreen.

Parry/block/grab tech on incoming. Why do I never do this OS? It's good.

When L bomb is on the screen it sort of lets you M or H A-Train for free. I mean, the fuck are they gonna do? There's a bomb there. I wonder if you can convert off the A-Train if you set the L Bomb up just right. Beamsprouts never does this in the video but I feel like I can get that to work.

After Beat Extend: jump straight up j.LK delay j.MP (corner only?). I don't know what this was supposed to be but it sure looks like a setup, maybe.

Finally some Fukua stuff. I don't have a good post air grab mixup with this character. I saw Shade do tiger knee L fireball + call assist which seems ok, I may try that. Also the c.MP c.HK xx Drill reset reminded me that my Fukua team can convert off Drill, so maybe I should use this reset more than never.

Reactions: Mr Peck
Meaty cr.lk cr.mp
Throw
Jump over them call assist

@ fukua mix ups off air throw

Reactions: mcpeanuts
Peacock: throw xx L bomb, dash up j.HK air backdash cancel
Peacock: throw xx L bomb, dash up c.MK
If you condition them really hard you can do throw xx L bomb, dash up and push them slightly forward so the bomb doesn't hit meaty, throw again on wakeup. It's the best, and the second throw will combo into the previous L bomb so you can convert from it with a lot of assists.

Last edited:
Here's some new stuff.

Match analysis of my set with 159man. I didn't get as much out of rewatching this as I wanted, but I think I did learn some things. The Big Band mirror parts were particularly helpful. As always any comments or suggestions are welcome. Link

Rare footage of me playing a set. It's Acido. The first game is good footage of me not giving up when I have 1 character left vs a full team, which is something I have been told to work on. Feeling pretty good about that. Link

I feel like you call games done waaaaay too early. Not losing hope is a major help!

SIG also plays Band second because the DHCs are better in that order.

Some thoughts. I guess I'm mostly posting this because I'm getting a lot of the same questions in my stream chat lately so the thread is probably due for an update.

I'm reconsidering if I need a counterpick team for when my opponent has multiple characters that beat Peacock. Like I said earlier for the most part I only really don't like fighting Valentine and Filia, and Cloud and Duck are the people who play both those characters who would make having a counterpick team worthwhile. The last few times I played games with Cloud I was doing ok against his Val team (I had more trouble against his new Fukua team actually). As for Duck, like, I lost to him at Frosty Faustings, but when you watch that match, I don't think what you take away from it is "oh, Peanuts lost because Valentine is too hard of a matchup for Peacock". I'm gonna analyze that match later because Sage was nice enough to record and upload it, but the short answer is I don't think that's why I lost. If I wouldn't take Peacock off my team for either of those guys I'm not sure I'd do it against anyone, so I'm not sure if having a team specifically for Peacock's bad matchups is worthwhile.

Also thinking about my other idea of changing my anchor if my opponent has Robo Fortune. This I would still consider doing because there are some matchups that are just miserable for Big Band, but I'm wondering now if I was going about it the wrong way. I figure, Parasoul is probably about as bad for Big Band is as Robo, and my idea of swapping out Big Band for Eliza wouldn't do anything there, because Parasoul beats Eliza too. So what do I do there, have two different anchor counterpicks for both those matchups? Unless someone is running Parasoul AND Robo, in which case....!? I don't think I can just swap Big Band out for someone else. I would need to build a new team. First thought is maybe Squigly is on that team somewhere, because she beats Robo and does fine against Parasoul. I don't want to play Squigly/Big Band though because then I'm right back to having the same problem. And that's as far as I've thought it through. If you got any ideas on any of that let me know.

The last idea I had is trying my main team in a different order, Double/Big Band/Peacock. When I first started playing Double, my strategy was to try to beat them with Double and if that didn't work DHC to Peacock, which would change the team order to Peacock/Big Band/Double. I like having my characters in that order. Lately though my strategy has changed to get Peacock in off the first clean hit with Double, or use Luger xx Monster > Tag to get Peacock in. That turns my team order into Peacock/Double/Big Band, which I don't like as much. As I see it the pros and cons of switching the order of Peacock and Big Band are like this:

Pros:
-If Double dies without doing anything, Big Band is the next to come in and I have safe DHC options from him to Peacock
-If the gameplan works and I tag in Peacock, but then Peacock dies, Big Band is the next to come in and I have safe DHC options from him to Double

Cons:
-One less option to get Double out and Peacock in (can't do car DHC Lenny anymore)
-Big Band is more useful as an assist for Double than Double is for Big Band
-Safe DHCs still lose to alpha counters which eventually people will remember are in the game
-I'm not good at reversals so the value of safe DHCs isn't as high as it should be anyways
-I'm playing anchor Peacock which leads to some bad worst case scenarios (but is this even worse than playing anchor Big Band and potentially needing to fight Robo or Parasoul?)

Well now that I write it all up there's a lot more cons than pros. I'll probably still mess around with that order to see if I like it. If you have any thoughts on the matter let me know. Thanks!

As far as trying to counterpick a team that has both Robo Fortune and Parasoul, purely just based on character MUs alone, your best other character options probably are: -Squigly (beats robo, ok against Parasoul), -Ms Fortune (Beats Both Robo fortune and Parasoul), -Fukua (Beats Parasoul, probably beats Robo but we'll just stick with "ok"), -Bella (Beats Parasoul, might lose to Robo but for now it's more or less even). Obviously what the teams would offer are vastly different so it wouldn't all work out, just looking at the MUs.

The funny part is, you already play Double, who gives big trouble to both of those characters (more parasoul players nowadays are agreeing that Double is a bad MU, and the Robo MU is frustrating but still pretty decent for Double). I do honestly feel like, on the point specifically for those 2 characters, you don't need to change your team heavily. Maybe just an order/assist switch is all you need.

As far as the Pros/Cons thing, I think that honestly the big hurdle you'd have to be comfortable with is Anchor Peacock, but if you could handle that, then the team order would probably work out better then you'd think despite those other Cons.

Got another one of these match analyseseseseseses. It's my set vs Duck from Frosty Faustings. This wasn't on stream, but Sage was nice enough to record it. Here is a link. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4OUif7u8F-M

I really didn't feel very good about Double this tournament; I feel like leading up to the tournament I spent too much time on Fukua and Painwheel and didn't really practice Double that much. That's kind of a problem because she's my weakest character, and also my point (not a great combination!) At the very least I want to make sure I'm consistent with the OTGless throw conversion before Winter Brawl.

I've also started trying out anchor Peacock. So far I like it. I've only had I think one game that actually came down to anchor Peacock, because normally I can mash something to change my team order before it comes to that. The hardest part of playing that order so far is remembering that MK+HP does not call an invincible assist anymore; I've lost a bunch of games like that already.

Think I might have found a more optimized version of the Double vortex. In situations where I have undizzy left and I want to do another chain for more damage, I was doing

c.LK s.MP s.HK xx H Luger > s.LPx2 s.MKx2 c.HP xx M Luger + Assist > j.LK (1 hit) j.MP (1 hit) j.HK - 170 undizzy 4516 damage

It looks like instead I could do

c.LK s.MP c.HP xx Cilia Slide > OTG s.HP + Assist xx Flesh Step > j.LK (1 hit) j.MP (1 hit) j.HK - 115 undizzy 4489 damage

So, 39 damage per undizzy vs 26 damage per undizzy, which is a pretty big improvement. It means in 3v2 as the 3 I can kill in 3 left/right resets for no meter, or kill in 2 resets for 2 bars (unless my team order gets messed up and Peacock is second, in which case Argus DHC doesn't kill).

I don't think I have time to commit this to muscle memory in 2 days before Winter Brawl though. I'm just writing it down here so I don't forget to work on it after.

Reactions: gllt and hilaryyy
Fugazi + assist in your first chain saves a lot of undizzy and is great for scaling as well

This one is more for carry/OTG preservation, but it's there and a good optimization if your assist will let you Cilia and you don't care about OTG

Other thing that helps with X > jHK setup you and I like is just finding places to raw jMP jHK. Leaving lights out is less undizzy used, allows for lights to be used for cleaner conversions in neutral situations (i.e., weird cHP/Luger confirms that require OTG pickups), and gives you three whole airchains to work with if you wanna keep them on edge.

Or listen to their buttons and make a decision if you're into that. :x

Last edited:
Reactions: mcpeanuts and gllt
Posting this too cause I'll forget about it and lose the link

Haven't practiced this so if I get a happy birthday on stream at WB get ready for nothing interesting to happen

Some stuff I've been thinking about since Winter Brawl:

The two tournament sets I had with @Cadenza (as well as the FT20 we did which unfortunately wasn't recorded I don't think) I'm probably not gonna analyze, cause without looking at it I can tell you what the difference there was: my defense isn't as good. Twerk's defense is actually really strong right now: he was really consistently reacting to my plink grab setups, my ADC grab setups, Flesh Step + assist (which isn't hard to react to granted, but I hit a lot of good players with that), etc. I couldn't make my clean hits matter as much as he could which is why I lost. I want to get my defense to that level.

I think some mixups and resets that I've been treating as unreactable maybe are reactable if I'm looking for them and if I practice defending them a bit. I've practiced one such scenario thus far: I set up Squigly as the dummy and had it set to stance cancel at one of 3 different random spots, and I practiced reversalling when I saw the stancel. I THINK this can be done consistently with practice but it's difficult, that's about on the edge of my reaction time. I almost wish I could set up more than 2 states, because if Squigly didn't stance cancel in the first two spots I set her up to stancel, it was like "oh, she has to stancel here". It made it too easy. Maybe instead I could set up 2 stancel recordings, and another where she just keeps the combo going, and set it to repeat. Then she might just never do a reset. Might make it a bit more like reacting to a real reset.

Other things I wanna work on:
-Reacting to standing overheads vs crouching lows (this is possible by design but I'm bad at it)
-Teching throws on reaction from crouch by releasing downback and hitting throw (Sage and Winnie have both told me this is possible but I'm skeptical? I think this might require Young Man Reactions)
-Blocking IAD overheads on reaction (not from Filia but Sage has implied that Fortune's is reactable. Again, skeptical, but I should try it. Eliza and Valentine's IAD overheads should definitely be reactable, I think)
-Teching plink air grabs (demonstrably possible, Twerk teched my plink air grab setup like every time)
-Double jumping out of crossunder setups
-Mashing when opponent does a ground string into a delayed high/low mixup (I feel like this should be free but I can't get it consistently? It's so frustrating cause like "your mixup is so bad but I'm getting hit by it anyways" lol)
-Burst alpha counter to Big Band to beat burst baits (I can do this but only if I'm expecting the burst bait. Air throw/burst bait setups work against me more consistently than they should)

-Burst alpha counter to Big Band to beat burst baits (I can do this but only if I'm expecting the burst bait. Air throw/burst bait setups work against me more consistently than they should)
Worth noting that you can do this without the burst hitting on any burst if you do it fast enough, which gives you a better chance to combo off it.

Worth noting that you can do this without the burst hitting on any burst if you do it fast enough, which gives you a better chance to combo off it.
Interesting... I'll practice that too. I feel like that may be one of the easier ones. In theory if I know the mixup is either air throw or burst bait, LP+LK followed quickly by forward+assist should cover both options.

Reactions: Mr Peck
-Reacting to standing overheads vs crouching lows (this is possible by design but I'm bad at it)
Set up the dummy to do either Squigly c.LK c.MK or c.LK s.HP at random, and practiced blocking it. I realized pretty early that if the Squigly player doesn't delay the c.MK, you can just switch to a high block late and don't even have to react, so I re-recorded the dummy to delay the c.MK a bit. Practiced blocking this mixup for an hour. At the end of it I blocked 86 out of 100 mixups right, which I guess is okay.
-Teching throws on reaction from crouch by releasing downback and hitting throw (Sage and Winnie have both told me this is possible but I'm skeptical? I think this might require Young Man Reactions)
There's just no goddam way and I refuse to spend more than the half hour I've already spent on this nonsense.

Okay so Parasoul's throw is 7 frame startup, right? Which I believe is universal. The first frame where you can visually see that what she's doing is throw is frame 3, where she starts to point the umbrella at your feet, so if you're reacting to it, you're reacting starting from that frame. So you have that frame until the active frame plus the throw tech window, which seems to be 7 frames (I didn't look it up but that's what it seems like it is). So 11 total frames to react. Which isn't possible.

I mean, I can react to the situation of a throw happening, but I already do that. In that scenario I think jumping is a better reaction since it lets you punish the whiff throw. And if you're just guessing I think jumping is still better since the risk reward is better.

Spent some time on this yesterday. Certainly seems like you can just LP+LK~6MP+MK and beat both burst bait and air throw, but sometimes I would hit it and not get my alpha counter. Not totally sure why. I definitely had meter...

Haven't gotten to the other items on my list yet.

Reactions: TheCrankMachine
Spent some time on this yesterday. Certainly seems like you can just LP+LK~6MP+MK and beat both burst bait and air throw, but sometimes I would hit it and not get my alpha counter. Not totally sure why. I definitely had meter...
You need to be in the burst animation when you input the counter, if you are still in hitstop and the burst hasn't started yet you won't get it.

the throw tech window, which seems to be 7 frames
Throw tech window once you are grabbed is 14f.

Throw tech window once you are grabbed is 14f.
I tested this by setting the speed to 10%, watching the frames in the upper right, and teching as late as possible. 15 frames into the grab's animation is the absolute latest I could tech the throw. What am I not doing right here?

I tested this by setting the speed to 10%, watching the frames in the upper right, and teching as late as possible. 15 frames into the grab's animation is the absolute latest I could tech the throw. What am I not doing right here?
If you do it with P1 teching, the framedata bar shows how long you were grabbed for. See pic.
sg post-grab tech window.png
13f in, you can still tech.
If you do it with P2 teching, the framedata bar shows how long Parasoul was in her throw animation, which is 20f (7+13) before you aren't allowed to tech anymore.

Re throw techs.

I block low for ~10F (throw start up / cLK start up) then stand, tech, block low again during blockstun.
When someone dashes into cLK to poke me, I find myself always stand teching during the blockstun really quickly.

This lets me cover both options if I know it's a dash into a low throw.
Also, when reacting to throws it's more the walk forward / dash forward / slight pause that gives it away more than the actual throw.

Re throw techs.

I block low for ~10F (throw start up / cLK start up) then stand, tech, block low again during blockstun.
When someone dashes into cLK to poke me, I find myself always stand teching during the blockstun really quickly.

This lets me cover both options if I know it's a dash into a low throw.
Also, when reacting to throws it's more the walk forward / dash forward / slight pause that gives it away more than the actual throw.
Thanks. I actually thought about that, and wasn't sure if I'd still be able to block low if they did something like c.LK c.MK to go low twice. If you're already doing it though then it sounds like it's pretty viable.