• As part of the relaunch of Skullheart, ALL previous threads have been archived. You can find them at the bottom of the forum in the Archives (2021) section. The archives are locked, so please use the new forum sections to create new discussion threads.

Indivisible: Lab Zero's Action-RPG! (General Discussion)

...what?

Uhh...I think it was a reference to a very old Family Guy joke, which is itself a parody of the scene with the plastic bag blowing in the wind from American Beauty.

So basically what he's saying is that there can be beauty in anything, Mike. Even MSPaint art. Man American Beauty is a great movie. Kevin Spacey is the best.

And another $10k achieved. Hopefully if this pace is kept up the voice acting stretch goal shouldn't be much of a problem to get.

Been thinking is 2 years enough time to make indivisible? (Like 1year 10months left now)

I'm looking at the time line shantae half genie hero has and they started their campaign in 2013. They seem to have a simpler animation style and fewer game mechanics and they still look like they are gonna hit the 3 year development mark. And they've been making shantae games for like 20 years so all the experience doesn't seem to help in the speed department.

Indivisible is a first for lab zero and indivisible looks to have more ambitious goals and the animation quality is going to be through the roof. What miracle needs to happen for that time goal to be met?

Reactions: ArgonBern
Lab Zero can do it besides I don't they are counting the past two months of them just waiting to move into the new office and the Vita version getting approved. Either way if Lab Zero needs more time they will tell us straight up and make sure the wait is worth it.

I remember Mike talking about hiring extra art contractors to help the development time make 2 years, tho I don't know how big the art team for Shantae is, so maybe that's not a factor, I dunno.

I expect delays. Stuff happens. Granted, most of the systems are internal now and they have fewer protocols to tangle with, especially online. And it's not like they need competitive balance this time around. Still, delays happen. If anything, I like how Lab Zero treated SG backers despite the delays and am excited to be a part of it this time around.

Assuming the beta itself doesn't get delayed beyond two years (did I just jinx it?), having that to play around with in the meantime will be enough to keep me happy while they take their time to make the finished product perfect.

There will be a beta?
I thought the prototype was supposed to carry us until release
Yep! We're planning to make small sections, to test monsters and party members and abilities, for backers. It won't be the prototype.

Yep! We're planning to make small sections, to test monsters and party members and abilities, for backers. It won't be the prototype.

Finally! Some experience first hand!

And they've been making shantae games for like 20 years so all the experience doesn't seem to help in the speed department.

Each Shantae game has also taken way too long in production compared to what's actually in the game. Not that that's bad, cause the games are polished well, but it's not like the team has really improved. Lab Zero is a different company running by different rules than Wayforward. I wouldn't worry too much about the game becoming Indivisible Forev... crap can't use that joke anymore Indivisible Life 3. Do I think it'll land exactly on the day listed? Not really. Game development isn't that easy. But to immediately think it's gonna be delayed because another game company did, I don't think that's fair to L0.

Each Shantae game has also taken way too long in production compared to what's actually in the game. Not that that's bad, cause the games are polished well, but it's not like the team has really improved.
Well, it's also not fair to say when something is taking too long without a real perspective on what the team is doing. Wayforward's definitely bigger than L0, but they're still not AAA huge, and some of their staff probably have to bounce between multiple projects during the time they're working on a Shantae game. I imagine clients like Disney and Cartoon Network get extremely picky with feedback too, so even finishing a dinky puzzle game on the side might have distracted some members of the HGH team enough to set them back by a few weeks. We just don't know.

But you're right that L0 is handling Indivisible differently than a lot of other crowdfunded projects, so we really can't compare their experiences to other companies. L0 is still among the very few game companies to fully ship on their first crowdfunded effort before jumping on to the second, so they've learned a lot in the process. They're avoiding feature-creep from stretch goals, and aren't committing to ports or online features that typically cause delays for a lot of these other groups. Ideally, that means a lot more production time is going to be focused on the scope of the game they've been planning from the beginning, and they've even got a head start on player feedback thanks to the Prototype.

So yeah, now that the office search is over, we'll just have to see how things work out from here. Still looking forward to that next big update!

Reactions: Broseidon Rex
L0 is still among the very few game companies to fully ship on their first crowdfunded effort before jumping on to the second
To be completely fair:
- Lobbies are still not on consoles, but at long last we are now WORKING ON THOSE since the JP Vita version has been approooooooved!
- There are several outstanding individual backer rewards, like a few sticks, but that's all that's left for those.

Still looking forward to that next big update!
So am I. :^P

Will any of the secrets/surprises/tactics of the game be findable in those betas, or will they be strictly to test functionality/fun? I'm really excited for this game, so I want to go in to the main game fresh. I don't want to have tricks or hints or anything from the beta to prepare me. Will I be fine, or should I maybe skip the betas?

An example of something would be like if a Beta of Super Metroid was available back in the day, and let you find out about bomb jumping and ledge jumping. It would change the way you played the game for the first time, and several areas would have completely different meaning when you know how to get by them.

Reactions: The Dave
You know how skullgirls characters get all pixelated when there are too many characters on screen I think the prototype indivisible builds we play should do that to the characters so we can still test stuff out but not get everything. So we can see what the mechanics are like but not spoil every thing.

Reactions: Wenzel
Will any of the secrets/surprises/tactics of the game be findable in those betas, or will they be strictly to test functionality/fun?
Well, for whatever upgrades we give you, how they work will be findable... They won't be all the upgrades, but it's still a portion of the real game.

I'm really excited for this game, so I want to go in to the main game fresh. I don't want to have tricks or hints or anything from the beta to prepare me. Will I be fine, or should I maybe skip the betas?
If you don't want to know things, then I'd skip it. I mean it won't be plot spoilers but it will be used for fine-tuning her movement and stuff, so you will be moving around and learning to move around. It's not just going to be run/jump/attack.

Reactions: Rakurin
okay thanks for that Mike. I too was wondering that. So that means every beta update will have a different sections for Ajna to explore and try out the different mechanics in or would you just add onto the base of the first beta and expand from there? Because I think I remember you saying that the Beta will be a different section from the Proto-Type.

okay thanks for that Mike. I too was wondering that. So that means every beta update will have a different sections for Ajna to explore and try out the different mechanics in or would you just add onto the base of the first beta and expand from there? Because I think I remember you saying that the Beta will be a different section from the Proto-Type.
Beta will be different from the prototype, yeah. I don't know whether it'd be just like an area that lets you go to different settings, or what, though. I'm pretty sure we'd just expand on the initial one, that's easier. We can replace the executable with each patch, but not having to build a start area and stuff each time would help.

Beta will be different from the prototype, yeah. I don't know whether it'd be just like an area that lets you go to different settings, or what, though. I'm pretty sure we'd just expand on the initial one, that's easier. We can replace the executable with each patch, but not having to build a start area and stuff each time would help.
A hub room ala Mega Man boss rush? Something like that?

On an unrelated note, now that funding has succeeded, how long do you figure Skullheart will last? I'd presume that an an Indivisible forum is in the works to go up somewhere, and in about a year from now I'll be the only one left here, rambling about such lunacies as canon story lines.

You won't be the only one. I'll be here too. :D

That'd be good, mainly to see the progress. Hell I'd be fine with a small video of updates >w<

Just a clarification...
If I were to get the tier were I get a digital copy, I get into the beta right?
More importantly, could I get it on both pc and ps4 or would I have to choose a single platform?

Just a clarification...
If I were to get the tier were I get a digital copy, I get into the beta right?
Yes.

More importantly, could I get it on both pc and ps4 or would I have to choose a single platform?
Um. If you get the tier where you get a digital copy, you get a digital copy. One. On one platform. (Promo keys cost money on most platforms, so we can't just give out multiple of them.)
If you do digital + physical, you can do PC digital and PS4 physical.

Reactions: Fumako
So...
I can participate in the beta for pc, but get the full release for ps4?
Uh i'm not sure. I think you will only get the Beta if you go for the PC full release to keep things simplified for everyone who is getting the game/beta on the different consoles.

hmmm that actually brings up a good question will the physical releases of the game will be only for PS4 and Xbox1?

So...
I can participate in the beta for pc, but get the full release for ps4?
Oh, that. That was very unclear.
I don't know! Let me ask.

hmmm that actually brings up a good question will the physical releases of the game will be only for PS4 and Xbox1?
We answered this a lot. :^P Physical release is PS4, XBox, and PC-DRM-free. Steam cannot be physical, obviously.

So, any insight on when work on the beta builds for Indi will actually start?

So, any insight on when work on the beta builds for Indi will actually start?
Yes. Later.
We're not specifically working on them, we're working on the game and when we reach a point we think is good enough, we'll throw it into a beta build.

Say Mike you hear about those possible NX leaks? Don't exactly know the leaker myself, Geno something, but they've apparently got a legitimate history behind them so idk. It says porting over to the thing is incredibly simple if you've got the code for a a PS4 or Xbox One game or something. I remember talking about the possibility of Indivisible on NX awhile ago so I thought I'd share it here.

Here's the article I got it from: http://www.gamnesia.com/news/rumor-...ack-record-revealed-megatons-of-info-about-ni

Of course leaks are leaks so take it with a grain of salt.

Geno has been wrong so many times, I don't know why people think a few lucky guesses he once had give him credibility (Oh wow, you mean to tell me PS4 will have better graphics than PS3? What a prophet!). This is the guy who claimed Pokemon Plus and Minus were coming to Wii U by the end of 2015. And there are so many bullshit red flags in this leak too. "Exact same hardware layout as PS4 and Xbox One", what does that even mean? Why the fuck would anyone want wireless HDMI on a console when I can plug the damn thing in and get an uncompressed feed? "You just take your code, compile it, and it works", since when is that how porting to any platform has ever worked in the history of ever?

Okay, mini-rant over. Back on the subject of when's ____, when's streams?

Reactions: The Dave
When's anything? I'm dyin' here!
Two weeks.

I don't know what's in two weeks, just generally assume something will happen around then.

Reactions: Cheesedragon
Say Mike you hear about those possible NX leaks?
Yep. Considering those still-just-rumors don't cover anything important, like RAM...let's just say a lot of that info kinda...smells...
It says porting over to the thing is incredibly simple if you've got the code for a a PS4 or Xbox One game or something.
You realize that even porting between the PS4 and XBone is not incredibly simple, right?
I remember talking about the possibility of Indivisible on NX awhile ago so I thought I'd share it here.
I appreciate it, but the possibility doesn't change until the system exists and real information can be had.
IDGAF if it has probably-laggy wireless HDMI or you can answer your phone on it, I care how much RAM it has, what shader language it supports, whether the controller is any good, and what the install base is.

As I said before, until it can touch PS4 in terms of consoles-out-there-in-the-world, or Nintendo is willing to pay for the port themselves, there is nothing further to say.
Or, I guess, if Nintendo gives 150% of sales back to the developer, thus taking a -50% cut. :^P

When's anything? I'm dyin' here!
Soon(tm).
Really though, soon.
Like, we're-working-on-an-update-because-we-know-people-want-one, soon.

Mike "The Angel" Z parts the clouds and bestows upon us mortals a prophecy of "soon". Praise be to lab zero. Now go deciples. Spread the good news and rejoice.

meh... "Soon" just doesn't really have the same ring as "Two Weeks" does. Oh well. Wake me up when something happens.