• As part of the relaunch of Skullheart, ALL previous threads have been archived. You can find them at the bottom of the forum in the Archives (2021) section. The archives are locked, so please use the new forum sections to create new discussion threads.

...Josh's struggle to not suck...

Because people won't be able to react to what I do and will sit there with the same felling I have when I play sage or you peanuts. I also like it cause it's fun and I enjoy figuring out stuff on my own. Lastly it helps me feel like I'm not stealing and that I can actually give something to this community rather then this wall of me bitching and moaning about how much I suck....

Because people won't be able to react to what I do and will sit there with the same felling I have when I play sage or you peanuts. I also like it cause it's fun and I enjoy figuring out stuff on my own. Lastly it helps me feel like I'm not stealing and that I can actually give something to this community rather then this wall of me bitching and moaning about how much I suck....
I mean it's fine to want to come up with your own combos or resets, but to straight up say like "I'm not gonna use this because someone else thought of it" is just nuts I think. And just because you thought of it doesn't mean it's any harder to react to. Like when a Parasoul launches you and does j.LP j.LK j.MP, you know they're gonna land and either air grab/j.LP/low/high/crossunder low/crossunder high, but even if you know the reset is coming it's still hard to block. That reset is really good, that's why people have been using it since vanilla.

I mean it's fine to want to come up with your own combos or resets, but to straight up say like "I'm not gonna use this because someone else thought of it" is just nuts I think. And just because you thought of it doesn't mean it's any harder to react to. Like when a Parasoul launches you and does j.LP j.LK j.MP, you know they're gonna land and either air grab/j.LP/low/high/crossunder low/crossunder high, but even if you know the reset is coming it's still hard to block. That reset is really good, that's why people have been using it since vanilla.
I didn't say I would never use current tech I said I like to try to not use it. It's not that I think it's bad I just like Pizzaz [insert some stupid wide eyed emote gif] and like to keep stuff fresh (part of the reason I constantly change my team). I know what your saying and I agree.

Man fuck you if you think ima try and find a different combo route with filia. Fuck you if you think ima try to find new (possibly finicky) tech with bella and definitely fuck this game if i chose to not use a combo route with many reset points both ground and air. Thats my last say on the matter. Good luck
edit: tech doesnt mean shit to any player if you dont have a ground game. Or any type of neutral plan or aby patience for that matter

Man fuck you if you think ima try and find a different combo route with filia. Fuck you if you think ima try to find new (possibly finicky) tech with bella and definitely fuck this game if i chose to not use a combo route with many reset points both ground and air. Thats my last say on the matter. Good luck
edit: tech doesnt mean shit to any player if you dont have a ground game. Or any type of neutral plan or aby patience for that matter
???who said I wanted you to??? Why the fuck mes??? Now I'm stressed.......

Having a good neutral >>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>
>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>
>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>having good resets and tricky-to-block shit.

part of the reason why MVC2 has taken 10+ years to get to where it is now
More like because it didn't have as much internet coverage as current games do, but I digress.

Reactions: mcpeanuts
Point is josh. Why the hell is anyone searching soooooo hard to find tech on a 2-3 yr old character and chooses to be unorthadox on purpose instead actually getting good makes no sense. W.e i'm not even going to pursue this anymore since i cleared my message in this post

@Dreamepitaph it's not that I'm not trying to get good. I can't do the optimized winnie corner combo consistently so I made my own. I can't do double resets besides grab out of barrel loop so I came up with my own air sequence to a reset point. It's not that I don't want to be good it's just that as I said a very long time ago the way I first learned val when I started playing was learn the duck combos and that's it I sucked at neutral but damn was I good at that combo I even read up on how to do resets and tried doing them. I'm a very stubborn person so you can tell me till your blue in the face work on your neutral work on getting good it's not going to help. I do things the hard way so I can better understand things in the long run. I need to practice more and I thank you for your input.

P.S. SEE ME IN MELTY

So after months of not understanding Filia i have the material I've been looking for to figure her resets out and optimize for pressure rather then damage (which is what I want). After about 30 games against wingzero's Filia in beta I can finally dissect what good Filia neutral looks like. Once I have some time I plan on going through the matches and take as much information I can on Filia.

Also I have come to a new conclusion. Optimized combos are useless in this game unless you can kill with them so spending hours and hours trying to learn them won't help. So now I think I'm not going to try to make my own optimized damage combos but develop faster less predictable reset based strings.

Lastly for some reason the lag has returned with a vengeance (time to learn how to play with delay not set to 0......)

Just putting these here for my own reference:
Filia
Fukua

Last edited:
I watched the Yaya kumite against Winnie and learned a few things about Squigly.
*To beat out the over head stancle reset cr.mk is the best option for filia and fukua so for the particular setup there are only two things one would have to be concerned with 1. grab 2. low so depending on the frequency of the resets I'm assuming that crouching waiting about .25 seconds then cr.mk is the best option to negate two of the possible outcomes.
*IAD j.mp seems to blow through alot of her options
*Playing patiently against squigly is not optimal I think more aggression is needed
After playing against several Big Bands:
*downback does not work
*staying still and blocking high is optimal unless BB is in your grill: This negates the ability to use giant step and a train and cymbals
*Fukua can just use lk shadows to sweep BB negating almost everything he can do
Eliza
*her mixup game is stupidly good
*People should be playing her more like filia cause her reset potential is up there with double and filia
*I could not find any option or strat for dealing with her up close cause she is incredibly dangerous at all ranges
*Once she is on me there are not many things I can do against her
*j.hk fast fall is god like
Double
*She's not scary unless shes on you cause vortex's and stuff

So I'm finally beginning to figure out how to beat better players. It's not about long combos, fast resets, or execution it's about being calculatedly random and having the ability to quickly learn and react to your opponent.
I also want to say that all my resets and baits could not be more perfect for my style.
Next step is developing my own mid screen and corner combo for double.

Another cool thing that I have noticed is the hours I have put into Fukua have made me immune to getting hit by shadows which is very nice cause that constrains almost every mixup option Fukua can utilize so yay

Also cool thing I noticed is that big band is free to lk shadow which also means peacock BB is highly susceptible to s.hk Kara lk shadow plink bomber. That's all my thoughts for now. I need to play better players more so I can further analyze each characters weaknesses and exploit them

Reactions: Sydoh
So here are my matches with Fenster
If you guys could make some suggestions on what I am doing wrong not just "work on your neutral" or generic stuff like that please cause that does not help me ;_; and I want to beat Luna

And here our some of my matches with @Dreamepitaph
Fukua vs. Fukua
And Filia vs. Filia

Last edited:
Fenster:

-First 30 seconds: Calm the fuck down and stop hitting so many buttons all the goddamn time. You're getting counterhit like a mothafucka.
-what up with the unnecessary dhc into car. That shit was post death flash, and you killed half double's life. If you wanna dhc in double do catheads.
-You coulda finished the double combo in the corner, dhc and it probably woulda killed.
-You woulda won that first round if you threw some damn M shadows. That entire neutral at the end was: waste meter, do it again, chuck fireball and run in.
-Second round you ate another cymbal clash happy bday. No idea why you're tryna throw assists from that far, and you have 2 assists that do the same damn thing for Filia. Change your fukua assist or start point Fukua or point double.
-seriously, what up with your assist calls. especially around 3:17
-7:53 why the snap. Like really. The only thing I can think of is that's an input error, but idk how the hell you accidentally do qcf+tag. Fenster's Big Band is new and he's just trying to learn. If anything, snapping him is just graciously giving Eliza a better dp.
-almost ate another cymbal happy bday in the start of the 3rd game.
-you know what? Your resets are always throws. And Fenster always escaped upbacking
-Learn a damn double combo pls.
-Seriously why you always gotta push buttons at the beginning of every round.

overall your lack of respect killed you. LMFAO if you didn't think Eliza won't lvl3. Fridge isn't something you just do on incoming when the opponent's mixup is just block + dp assist. LMFAO harder if you think Big Band won't wake up with something. LMFAO even more at how often you get hit by cymbals when Fenster's just throwing it out and you're running forward pushing buttons and calling assists from far to mid range.

Oh and stop being a damn fighting game hipster and refusing to use characters the way they were designed and how others are playing.

Mirror matches bore the hell outta me and idk which one is which so fuck that shit.

edit: oh and try to get some team synergy going. You're just throwing out assists for the sake of throwing them out. Be more creative than that. And cover your assists.

Last edited:
Reactions: Sparties
Snip
This was not the whole set so there's alot of holes in the reason why I was doing things
*I stayed still at the start of matches and I got grabbed 5 times in a row so I thought ok cr.mk will stop that so I tried it and it worked
*The DHC was a miss input on my end (I think the match before had a lag spike so I wanted to make sure that the Shinku actually came out)
*The snap was a definite miss input (I was predicting him to BE me and I wanted to tag double in to punish it)
*Yeah I'm ass with double right now (I've focusing alot on filia and fukua)
*I always go for throw resets cause I'm scared of messing up my input for a low mixup (another thing I need to work on)
*I don't know how to block against this team on incoming ;_; (it's literally a guessing game and I can't guess right apparently)
*I'm trying to use assists from that far because someone *cough cough ninja* told me that I don't do that enough so I tried doing it more
*I get hit by cymbals cause I'm an idiot and I try to call an assist in to punish it but then I get counter hit for calling an assist -_-
*I know I need to use m.shadow more

As always thank you for the advice :^)

it looks like you keep trying to do the double fast fall reset.
fuckin' stop, it didn't even look like he would fall for it unless you did a throw.
i'm four minutes in, and i keep seeing the same thing.

and stop with the stupid assist calls every three seconds as well as the button mashing shit that fedora said.

Last edited:
Reactions: Cadenza
Just tumbled onto this. I'm gonna head to the airport, but I'll make sure to check out the set and give you my input. Also, I see I need to really sit down with you in Skype and help you get a solid foundation :)

Edit 1: Decided to watch the matches on the train ride since it's hella long :D
After taking what Fenster already put, I feel like my input is very small, but it bears stating

1)Practice setups with assists. See what you can do off assist anti-airs, catching someone low, tag-ins, etc
2)Sure this has been beat over the head but once again, choose better times to press a button.
3)Analyze the setups your opponent uses at certain ranges and in what situations. What does he use when he's right on top of you after a hard knockdown. Now he's mid-screen. why? If you break that shit apart mid-game and figure the reason why, you'll be golden as far as predicting what your opponent is going to do next. I did that when I started learning from some Cerebellas.

I'd love to run a training session with you again and really pick your brain to see what you're thinking in certain cases.

Last edited:
To be honest that might be my main problem: I don't focus on what my opponent is doing I focus on how I can get in on my opponent and what I need to do to beat them. I'm not good at seeing what my opponent does unless they do it over and over again. So yeah a training session might be very useful so I can see where the holes in my logic are.
Also I just discovered that stick dashing in combos is much more consistent then button dashing (part of the reason I drop all my Filia combos)

To be honest that might be my main problem: I don't focus on what my opponent is doing I focus on how I can get in on my opponent and what I need to do to beat them. I'm not good at seeing what my opponent does unless they do it over and over again. So yeah a training session might be very useful so I can see where the holes in my logic are.
Also I just discovered that stick dashing in combos is much more consistent then button dashing (part of the reason I drop all my Filia combos)
Best way is understand your opponent's way of thinking, i.e. the way they're approaching the match. Do they prefer to stay full-screen until they get a hit? Do they rush in and attempt cross-up assist? Do they like to tech alot? Things like that

So I took everyone's advice and stopped pressing buttons and this is what happened
*I got hit a lot more then normal
*I got grabbed alot more
*I got crossed up more
*I got reset more
*I felt absolutely helpless when I could not press a button or rush in
*I don't know where to go from here (I also took some advice and switched my assist for Fukua to french twist This makes my team a lot less pressure heavy and more gimmicky I don't like that)

this is a result of letting go of bad habits and then having to develop sharper reflexes.

i'm still seeing some of your bad habits.

0:26 - why random fenrir? that's as unsafe as you can get and a waste of a bar.
0:33 - random tag. that tag is unsafe as hell the way he was moving because he was stepping back to make sure you didn't cross him up. if you want her in, try and alpha counter or something, not that.
1:02 - stop throwing filia out with updo. that's used primarily as a reversal, not if they're like six feet away and blocking.

you play fukua, and yet he got so many mix-ups on you. learn your own resets and tactics to pick this guy's fucking brain.
you don't even need french twist for an assist. a lockdown assist like drill would work just as good.

2:03 - dropped double combo, get drilled. work on that double combo. start spending less time in these matches and spend more time honing your fucking combo. you shouldn't be dropping this shit. i would say learn the basic double barrel BnB, but you don't like "stealing tech" or whatever. even then, you can't hop into these matches and hope to win with a "drop it like it's hot" mentality. slow down.
2:36 - stop throwing double out for an assist if you're not going to convert off it. use it for pressure, convert, or to finish the combo. otherwise, she's just out there. filia's fast enough to keep up with that bomber shit, you should have been busting your ass to get over there.
3:52 - good mix-up until you just sat there like a bump on a log and didn't fucking convert.

to be honest, are you using hard bomber? hard bomber's not a good choice with your team, why aren't you using medium bomber to make it this easier? that way, it's easier to dash in and keep pressure flowing.

4:56 - now you're just reverting back to first day shit. where are your pushblocks? you could have just pushblocked, updo, gregor, and convert.
5:59 - you go into cat heads, and your pressure is mediocre at best. where's the flesh steps and low pokes?
7:22 - dying with five bars is not good. use that shit more, but not to the point that you're just wasting it.
8:50 - sitting and staring into fukua's face, when you have a good few seconds of reaction time, is not okay. jump, do something, don't just let it happen.
9:32 - why did you drill. why? with no bar to even distance him just a bit from you? hella unsafe.
10:31 - where the hell is your neutral game? filia is just as fast, if not faster, than fortune. you immediately just sit there and block, crux has you fucking downloaded.
11:13-ish - you throw out the french twist assist for no good reason. if you're gonna have that assist, acknowledge that you're probably not gonna use it when he's that far away.
11:51 - stop poking at him and CONVERT already. there's no need for it, why?

around that time, i noticed you keep dropping the barrel loop combo at the j.lk or the s.lk. work on it. it's clearly a problem area with the way you keep dropping.

no more excuses. no more overconfidence. no more mashing.
it's time to stop being big and bad and start being quick and smart.
learn and slow.
the fuck.
down.

Though I'd say Drill and Bomber are both lockdown and do a fuck load of horizontal space control, so having two of the same assist types for Filia is unnecessary and a waste.
French Twist is good with Filia. Ever tried blocking a Filia that just jumps at you and calls that shit? I did once. Got my ass wrecked. Don't remember who that was I fought online, but fuck that guy.

Just watched that set with Crux. That was pretty brutal, still not as bad as me losing to Duck 0-20 :) So, main thing. You can't confirm any pokes into combos. Pretty sure you didn't confirm a c.lk poke once into a combo. You didn't even confirm Filia/Fukua's c.mk, which has 6 hits you can finally say "hey, they got hit". Not trying to be mean, but..that's borderline beginner status. I can't even hear you, but I feel like you're playing way too emotional. You're letting your mistakes literally burn into your bones and cause you to freeze. I see you want to go crazy with Filia, but you're too scared, and when you see an opening in Crux's play, you hesitate like a deer and don't do a thing. Your Filia barely moved once in any of those matches. First time I've ever said that about Filia. Diamond's right about not being overconfident, but you've got to have some sort of foundation under you. You can't come in thinking you're gonna lose. Crux literally sat there for 20 seconds wondering what the fuck you were doing holding downback the entire time. In fact....at 2:55, Crux just dropped his combo and was looking for your reaction. He was probably dumbfounded at your rebuttal of hold back, and do absolutely nothing, then he just went back in with bomber assist. Crux saw that for some reason, you weren't gonna go at him. So he's got no reason to fear shit from Filia, pray a Updo/Gregor, which he can sniff out. I'm gonna grab some sleep cuz it's 4 in the morning, but I'll try to analyze you more. There's got to be a reason for all of this.

to be fair I saw the j.hk reset like 200 times and blocked it but still got hit I don't know if it was because of input delay but I know I blocked it just to see if I wasn't crazy and that it was indeed a crossup I saw the jump and immediately blocked the other way sure enough I wasn't crazy playing crux and her European internet does not mix well with 3 frames of input lag.
Yes I am well aware that I need to stop dropping combos I can do them in training mode with a 80% success rate but as soon as you introduce any sort of lag or buffering I freeze and drop the combo 90% of the time. I know all these combos but I can't use any of them online. Yeah it's an excuse but I don't know how to beat the fear of failure or the fear of losing I'm just paranoid.
I also don't understand how to simulate any of my problems in training mode because I can't see what I'm doing wrong I just see "I guessed wrong" or "Wait what why didn't my reversal come out I inputed it what the hell!" I guess I just don't know what I'm doing or how to move forward.
I'm also scared of converting because even when I see the hit I throw out the next move and it whiffs then I get stuffed.
Yeah I know I'm just bitching but I literally have no idea what to do I'm not used to learning on the fly I'm used to set rules and set outcomes such as A+B=C so alot of my habits are based on this logic and it constantly screws me over.

Your entire game plan appears to be
Crouch block
or
do something really unsafe

Most of your time with fukua in that last video was just crouch blocking, waiting to get mixed up. You're never focusing on positioning. Get your opponent into a bad position, and only then can you open them up. You keep letting the opponent get the advantage in neutral.

Now, I have some very useful information for you: you can move forward and block at the same time in this game. Way better than blocking in place. It keeps up pressure, baits reversals, and if you're in the air, the only thing that can hit you is an air grab.

If you want some help with not dropping filia combos, message me sometime.

yeah button dashing and holding back will have you block non-low attacks while moving forward. This is especially useful with Eliza who dashes a fixed distance all the time or Big Band who is a charge character. Dunno how to apply it to Fil/Fuk/Duo

Any reason we're not just calling it wave dashing?
yeah button dashing and holding back will have you block non-low attacks while moving forward. This is especially useful with Eliza who dashes a fixed distance all the time or Big Band who is a charge character. Dunno how to apply it to Fil/Fuk/Duo

Because it isn't wave dashing. You just hit the two punches and hold back while they move forward. As opposed to 2 punches > down repeatedly

so again in my constant journey of entropy I have once again made another big decision....
FUCK DOUBLE
It's not worth the aggravation to learn a character that does not help my dynamics at all
next back to another team Filia/Fukua. The sisters have returned with a vengeance. Now that I have actually put in more time into filia I'm more confident in her and with Fukua in the back must I say more on that? I've also realized that I have been making a critical flaw in my game play I don't watch the opponent EVER, this has led to failure way to many times so enough of that shit time to adjust.

So after watching a video on proper stick usage I figured something else.
You ready

My Execution is shit............ THERE I SAID IT ARE YOU HAPPY!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! I BET YOU WERE ALL WAITING FOR ME TO SAY IT!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Step four. Acceptance. Now you're ready to finish this.

So painwheel........ what do I do? I can't beat Elky's painwheel ever and I'm pretty free to anyone else with this character. I tried to learn the basic bnb so I could find the reset points and that helped but the variability of high, low, throw is messing me up every time. I also don't know how to fight against her in neutral which is probably my biggest problem. I know j.mp shreds her armor but most smart painwheels will have an assist to blow through my offense and french twist assist is absolute garbage against her. Any suggestions?

Swap to Fuk/Fil for that matchup.
No really, try it.