• As part of the relaunch of Skullheart, ALL previous threads have been archived. You can find them at the bottom of the forum in the Archives (2021) section. The archives are locked, so please use the new forum sections to create new discussion threads.

USA [Jul 11, 2014] Skullgirls Encore EVO 2014 Official Side Tournament (Las Vegas, NV)

I actually requested the bit in parentheses.
That spiraled it right back around to being hilarious, good job.

Make everything a first to 10

I'll accept best of 5 as a compromise

MvC3 is first to 5 because first hit wins. Divekick is 5 rounds for the same reason. I'm not sure any other game really needs that?
Injustice is also best of 5.

2/3 is fine

stop trying to be like other games when this one is fine how it is now

Can we see someone twerk on stream?
First person kicked out of the tournament?

I got the names, and a sack full of doorknobs. Gimme the addresses and I'll get you guys your money!

Reactions: Mwisk
Maybe people want to play moar SG?

ken Loose, post: 102494, member: 77"]If we can't get a stream, it's fine. We can just tweet about the tournament in real time so hard that we trend. I mean we can just make shit up so people on the internet think they're missing the hypest event of the century.

"THERE'S 500 PEOPLE HERE PLAYING THIS GAME, #GETHYPE" #skullgirlsatevo
"OH MY GOD DUCKATOR JUST FLEXED AT SEVERIN AND HIS SHIRT BURST OFF" #skullgirlsatevo
"MIKE Z IS CODING WHILE FIGHTING, HE JUST PATCHED OUT BLOCKING FOR HIS OPPONENT" #skullgirlsatevo
"KHAOSMUFFINS HAS LITERALLY RIPPED HIS OWN HEAD OFF AND THREW IT AT ZIDIANE" #skullgirlsatevo
"BROSEIDON HAS SUMMONED THE ACTUAL CTHULHU ACCIDENTALLY, IS DQ'ED" #skullgirlsatevo
If only MikeZ could actually create handicaps modes like these and get newcomers to fight against highly skilled players.

WTF? I paid. Where am I?

Am I the "Al"? Confused.

@render halp.

Am I the "Al"?

Yes. I copy/pasted the "preferred nickname" column, and that's apparently what you put there. Did you mean to do that?

Yes. I copy/pasted the "preferred nickname" column, and that's apparently what you put there. Did you mean to do that?
That's fine lol I figured as much.

Speaking of nicknames and such, is it possibly for me to go under another alias? I've become quite fond of "Swiftfox-Dash" more than TJgamer, if not though it's fine.

Also off topic but I could have sworn my username on here was TJgamer22 instead of just TJgamer. Maybe I just don't pay enough attention lol.

MvC3 is best of 5 because first hit wins. Divekick is 5 rounds for the same reason. I'm not sure any other game really needs that?
Only other game I can think of is Soul Calibur, but I'm barely awake when posting this, so I couldn't be remembering right x.x

Also off topic but I could have sworn my username on here was TJgamer22 instead of just TJgamer. Maybe I just don't pay enough attention lol.
I can change that pretty easily if you want

Only other game I can think of is Soul Calibur, but I'm barely awake when posting this, so I couldn't be remembering right x.x
Actually that's a good point, most 3D fighters are run 3/5. When I played Tekken and DOA that was the tournament standard for those games.

Reactions: Wenzel
I thought Tekken was 3/5 rounds 2/3 matches. i don't know a damn thing about doa

I thought Tekken was 3/5 rounds 2/3 matches. i don't know a damn thing about doa
It's 3/5 rounds 3/5 matches when the Tekken community gets their way. Sometimes the TO will make them do 3/5 rounds 2/3 matches. Same with DOA.

Injustice has also taken up 3/5
Why not sg?!

In other news, These entrants omg yeeeeeeeeeeeeees

DOA and SC are super quick because of short timers and high damage. I have no idea why Injustice is 3/5 now, though, unless it's just because the less than ideal roster balance makes it especially counterpicky. KI uses the same downs system and it's still 2/3.

Actually that's a good point, most 3D fighters are run 3/5. When I played Tekken and DOA that was the tournament standard for those games.

3D fighters have ringouts and wallsplats that end rounds instantly.

Nope
Compared to 2D fighters? Yeah, kinda. There's a lot more neutral game involved thanks to the field of movement, but it really doesn't take a whole lot of time to eat away most of someone's health bar.

Not that how a 3D fighter works has any bearing on how the tournament rules for a 2D fighter should be done, of course.

The SG tourney at EVO 2014 will be 2/3 unless a ton of people would rather have it be 3/5.

Weee, render's kind of a dick sometimes, sorry!

*Edited so I'm not such a dick. :(
*Original text lives on in mcpeanuts' quote! :D

Last edited:
3D fighters have ringouts and wallsplats that end rounds instantly.
DOA and Tekken don't have either of these.
Compared to 2D fighters? Yeah, kinda. There's a lot more neutral game involved thanks to the field of movement, but it really doesn't take a whole lot of time to eat away most of someone's health bar.

Not that how a 3D fighter works has any bearing on how the tournament rules for a 2D fighter should be done, of course.
Having played these games competitively I don't agree that an average game is faster than an average game of Skullgirls. If anything it's significantly longer.

The SG tourney at EVO 2014 will be 2/3.

Weee, I win!
Man sorry for trying to have a conversation about it, I guess? Like I wasn't thinking the format was going to not be 2/3, I just wanted to state my preference, but I guess even that was considered unwelcome?

Having played these games competitively I don't agree that an average game is faster than an average game of Skullgirls. If anything it's significantly longer.
I wouldn't disagree with you, since they're already 3/5 rounds per game. But honestly, phrasing it as "this is why X fighter has it this way while Y fighter doesn't" was stupid on my part in general, because how X fighter does its tournaments shouldn't have any bearing on how Y fighter runs anyway.

Man sorry for trying to have a conversation about it, I guess? Like I wasn't thinking the format was going to not be 2/3, I just wanted to state my preference, but I guess even that was considered unwelcome?
I think it was more in response to the general query of "will this tournament be 3/5 or 2/3?" rather than replying to you specifically.

I think it was more in response to the general query of "will this tournament be 3/5 or 2/3?" rather than replying to you specifically.
Nah, the second part of the post was definitely worded to try to shut down the discussion we were having.

Nah, the second part of the post was definitely worded to try to shut down the discussion we were having.
Well, at that point it does kinda become off-topic, so I'm sure having the discussion in another thread would be the way to go.

Just not in regard to whether the rules for Evo should be changed since they're apparently not going to be.

Sorry, I guess I was being a bit of a dick there. Didn't mean to shut down a real discussion. Was mostly just trying to nip in the bud what seemed like a tangent that was heading toward things that didn't have much to do with the SG tourney at EVO, and therefore off-topic.

Carry on!

I would consider making it 3/5 if a lot of people really wanted it, but I don't think the SG side tourney at EVO is the best time to start messing with the tourney format standard. I also don't relish the idea of having to inform people constantly that no, it's not 2/3, it is 3/5.

Last edited:
I see no justification in making this game 3/5 outside of "But other games is doing it also and I want to play more games." Keep it 2/3

Reactions: Kit Ballard
I see no justification in making this game 3/5 outside of "But other games is doing it also and I want to play more games." Keep it 2/3
How come no one in favor of 2/3 posts reasons why it's a better format? Everyone is always "well there's no reason to change it". The advantage of 3/5 is obvious, you get to play more games and watch more games. The advantage of 2/3 is ???????

Reactions: erkicman
The advantage of 2/3 is ???????
Easier tournament scheduling so you don't have to worry about things running too long. 2/3 allows for a cleaner, more concise means of determining a winner while still allowing competitors to readjust aspects like character and assist choices in order to avoid a player merely losing to a matchup disadvantage if it were "one and done." It may be less fun for some players and viewers, but it makes things easier on TOs and streamers, particularly at events where there's expected to be a larger turnout like Evo.

I had a big ass paragraph written up on this but POS basically explained it a lot better and a lot shorter than I would've. So I'll just take the easy route and say ^what he said

Reactions: POS Industries