• As part of the relaunch of Skullheart, ALL previous threads have been archived. You can find them at the bottom of the forum in the Archives (2021) section. The archives are locked, so please use the new forum sections to create new discussion threads.

Marvel vs Capcom Infinite

yeah I KNOW the stage shown was mixed. and to me. it looks like shit. I can't tell what the hell is going on in that stage and it just looks like a mishmash of things. Either have it Asgard, or The Highway from MegaMan. but both fused together. it just doesn't work.

I WAS hoping that the stage was only being used due to the trailer that was also made...

buuuuuuut from this new info, i fear it's going to be in the main game. and that is no good to me.

I don't want to shit on this game but... the art direction... scares the crap outa me cause it is not looking too good so far.

it'll continue the storied tradition of marvel vs. games looking bad
what a trooper

it'll continue the storied tradition of marvel vs. games looking bad
what a trooper

The Marvel Series is a mixed bag aesthetically.

Marvel Super Heroes isn't a proper "vs" game, but it might as well be since it features most of the more interesting Marvel characters and it basically invented the mechanics that every following game would use (Magic Series, otg rules, even the infamous "flight screen deterioration"). And it looks gorgeous. Easily some of the best stages in any fighting game in both concept and execution.

X-Men Vs Street Fighter and MshVsSf both look a lot weaker due to more bland stages. Marvel Vs Capcom 1 has some cool ones, though the color pallete isn't quite as popping as MSH (between the evildoers lair, the avengers hq, and the moon stage, there's just a little too much...blue).

IMO Mvc2's stages are gorgeous, at least in concept. It's just you got the "sprites of clashing resolutions sitting against a 3d backdrop" issue. Artisticly it's quite good, very colorful and eye pleasing with some interesting designs (love the clocktower), just quite a bit of a rushjob (like the game itself).

Mvc3 looks a bit too...dark. Besides the infamous hellecarrier at night stage in vanilla, you start to notice this kind of inky look on the models. It's subtle but the colors don't pop.

Stages - Clearly the most important thing about any fighting game.

aside from who writes the story, of course

Depends on the game. Some fighters have it where stages have hazards that can lead to extra damage, extra mobility, or even instant kill via Ring Outs. That can matter for the meta.

Even for the games where stages don't have any of that it would still be a sub category for the game overall aesthetics and like it or not aesthetics can be a make it or break it for some people

Is it gonna be the #1 priority for the average person? Unlikely, but stages aren't exactly QOL minor stuff either.

Is it gonna be the #1 priority for the average person? Unlikely, but stages aren't exactly QOL minor stuff either.
My approach to stages:

Q: Is the stage annoying/obstructing in any way (overtly animated to hide the characters, objects in foreground, too bright, too dark, etc)? Does it lag?
If "Yes" to either of the questions: Shit Stage
If "No" to both: Good Stage

They're nice to look at for the first 5 hours of gameplay, but after that you (or I, at least) just don't notice them anymore,
because you're focussing on the gameplay rather than whether the gargoyle statue in the background on top of the dark castle is drawn nicely or looks kinda ugly.

They have to appeal to the casual crowd too, even though I very much agree with you on this, what's the matter in having people talk about and getting excited about this kind of thing? Most, if not all, people who are serious about games were once drawn to it because of the "cool factor" and stages can be a big part of that.

Reactions: Wenzel
They have to appeal to the casual crowd too, even though I very much agree with you on this, what's the matter in having people talk about and getting excited about this kind of thing? Most, if not all, people who are serious about games were once drawn to it because of the "cool factor" and stages can be a big part of that.
It's just frustrating trying to talk in any non-Skullgirls game thread on these forums, since any actual gameplay discussion is drowned out by people talking about what their favorite fatality is or w/e.

It's just frustrating trying to talk in any non-Skullgirls game thread on these forums, since any actual gameplay discussion is drowned out by people talking about what their favorite fatality is or w/e.
Have you gone into the non-gameplay Skullgirls parts of this forum

Fuckin' no man's land in those parts

Have you gone into the non-gameplay Skullgirls parts of this forum

why though

Except nobody said that?

We're talking about aesthetics here.

A stage can be good looking or it can be ugly looking. It doesn't effect the gameplay, but it's still nice to have some atmosphere and eye pleasing visuals to the action, no?

They're nice to look at for the first 5 hours of gameplay, but after that you (or I, at least) just don't notice them anymore,
because you're focussing on the gameplay rather than whether the gargoyle statue in the background on top of the dark castle is drawn nicely or looks kinda ugly.

Not for me.

To me, aesthetics and gameplay are appealing to two different sides of the brain. Bad aesthetics won't impact the gameplay portion, but it's nice to have both lobes firing on all cylinders.

I don't think I'd ever choose a version of a game with slightly superior aesthetics over a version with slightly superior gameplay, but to act like aesthetics have no value is still pretty rank. I highly value the artistry that's put into all aspects of a game, not just the gameplay.

You might as well say that a quality OST is unimportant too because people can just use custom osts anyway.

And yes, I still notice little details in stages I like 100's of hours later and think "that is SO COOL".

Last edited:
When one of the main complaints for KI S3 is that 4 characters didn't get stages and one of the largest requests is a Community Fund to make them, I won't say they're the most important, but for people enjoying the game long-term yeah I think stages are at least a moderately large factor.

To be fair KI 3 stages are gorgeous. Also unlikely this game will have KI 3 budget.

Well at this point it's hard to talk about gameplay right now since we know so little.

The Marvel fanboy in me demands excellent stages. For all the technical issues the some stages caused in MvC3 most of them were great. Shadowland, Asgard and Days of Future's Past were excellent and packed with fanservice.

Reactions: ribaluigi
And yes, I still notice little details in stages I like 100's of hours later and think "that is SO COOL".
I once decided to count the number of dogs in Maplecrest. There are seven.

I know that there's a guy who always picks NMO Arena in tournament.

My Skullgirls team has color-coordinated palettes. Two of them are cool references (Millia and DIO) and the third is my preferred palette for Parasoul (proper Egrets uniform). I formed my team on both mechanics and aesthetics; of the anchors, I'd rather have my favorite villain Eliza than Double, Fukua, Cerebella. They also have some royalty/elite theming.

I play Skullgirls over 3rd Strike because of how much personality the characters ooze in the middle of battle (not to say 3rd Strike doesn't have that; Makoto's expression and stance, Q's strangeness, they make their characters feel different enough, but that's just it, it's only good enough), the exact characters and locations in Skullgirls, etc. I somewhat prefer 3rd strike's gameplay, though I do like how much technical stuff I can practice in Skullgirls Training Mode. I'm also kinda casual but like analyzing things, dunno if I'll ever compete in tournament.

And "casual crowd" for fighting games is pretty different from "casual crowd" for other genres. Lots of people who can be considered "core gamers" just won't spend that much time on it.

Last edited:
Well at this point it's hard to talk about gameplay right now since we know so little.

Trust me it wont stop anyone come release.

Trust me it wont stop anyone come release.
Of course not but it will mean there will be something to actually discuss on the gameplay front, which there isn't currently beyond "2v2, no assists, you pick a powerup on character select". I'm all for gameplay discussion taking precedent, but we have nothing right now.

To be fair KI 3 stages are gorgeous. Also unlikely this game will have KI 3 budget.

Yes, I would very much hope it doesn't have the budget of 2 bananas stacked on top of a piece of paper that says "pls make new game"

Marvel's involved. It will have at least 4 bananas. And maybe a stapler.

Marvel's involved. It will have at least 4 bananas. And maybe a stapler.
Stapler probably doesn't even have any staples.

hehe

roster puns

Reactions: BeatNinja
I could see Wasp getting Nadia as a costume if she's playable

they used Nova to advertise a new run back in Ultimate iirc

Marvel straight up told Capcom 'add this here bucket head please'

To great effect. I like Nova a lot in Ultimate. Troy Baker voicing him is probably a big influence but still.

Marvel straight up told Capcom 'add this here bucket head please'

To great effect. I like Nova a lot in Ultimate. Troy Baker voicing him is probably a big influence but still.
you could say YOU LIKE- YOU LIKE- YOU LIKED THAT

Also thanks to Nova, it is possible to have a team of bucket heads featuring him, Magneto, and Joe.

I just want Iron Fist again.

Because Danny Rand is a cool guy and the power of the Iron Fist is cool.

To be fair, I kinda doubt that the target audience were the ones who needed that lesson.

To be fair, I kinda doubt that the target audience were the ones who needed that lesson.
Which makes it worse.

I love how she literally says "Go to this government website to see if you can vote."

This isn't even a PSA comic, yet this line was ripped straight out of one.

could be worse
you could be the guy who thought
tumblr_inline_ojac1tpaE31svg1vl_540.png

was clever

Reactions: Dr.Sanity
Allegedly, the guy who leaked MVCI before PSE in the first place says the next character to be revealed will be "Villainous", and he also said, "Props to the Animation Team"
What character is villainous and would be hard to animate?
First immediate thought is a Darkstalkers character, specifically Lord Raptor and Pyron (due to the fire)
But Pyron is kinda a jobber, althought I could see him fitting into the story

he didn't say that it would be the next character revealed necessarily, just that there was Capcom Villain in the cast who is very well animated

Reactions: Jutsei
He also mentioned that that character is a card in HvH in Ultimate.