• As part of the relaunch of Skullheart, ALL previous threads have been archived. You can find them at the bottom of the forum in the Archives (2021) section. The archives are locked, so please use the new forum sections to create new discussion threads.

[May 22, 2015] Combo Breaker 2015 (Rosemont, IL)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Oh whoops, for real no. I just remembered I'm moving to LA in May and will be flying across the country to come back for this so I don't wanna bring my camera gear with me on a plane. Sorry bro.
HEY you're moving to LA, you better start coming to Salty! ;^)

I'll try not to fall asleep while you're telling me something and making direct eye contact again.

Oh shit I didn't even think about pizza and stuff. Man I'm excited.

Hey, question.

What's the best deep dish pizza you can get in the area?

I've heard for where we will be, Giordano's is the best option and apparently is only a ~20 minute walk. If people wanted to reserve spaces to go out for one of the days I would definitely be interested in going. (I heard that the place is usually super busy so you have to reserve? At least the one where I live is like that)

If you were coming over on Wednesday, then Peck/Drewski/me/maaybe Jason were thinking about going to a different place with some friends of mine in the area, so anyone on Wednesday is welcome to come to that.

I've heard for where we will be, Giordano's is the best option and apparently is only a ~20 minute walk. If people wanted to reserve spaces to go out for one of the days I would definitely be interested in going. (I heard that the place is usually super busy so you have to reserve? At least the one where I live is like that)

If you were coming over on Wednesday, then Peck/Drewski/me/maaybe Jason were thinking about going to a different place with some friends of mine in the area, so anyone on Wednesday is welcome to come to that.

Giordano's even delivers to the venue. Its extremely solid (even if it is a slightly "lasagna disguised as pizza" food stuff). Tons of options though. Pizza and Chicago go well together.

Should be getting a really nice bonus check in April + whatever tax return. If flight prices stay relatively steady until the money's in my hands, I can probably make it.

@konkrete please assist me in finding best pizza and hot dogs in Chicago. I should be off keto then and I intend to go fucking wild. <3

Reactions: dekillsage
What do I do for hot dogs now that Hot Doug's is closed?

I hope you don't even have the inclination of thinking about ketchup on hot dogs.

Reactions: Kai
(If you don't get a Chicago-style you can use ketchup, though)

Not terribly familiar with the area of Rosemont. For hot dogs probably the best place in the whole of Chicagoland is Gene and Jude's. Personally I am not a fan of the Chicago-style dog--which for the uninitiated is beef frank, poppy seed bun, pickle, tomato, diced onion, yellow mustard, bright relish, peppers, and celery salt, NO ketchup--but G&J is where it's at. It's about a 5-10 minute drive from the venue, so not too bad. No delivery.

Pizza I can speak to. In the area for delivery, Giordano's is the best bet. It's where a lot of people go to experience deep dish. HOWEVER: do not sleep on Chicago thin crust. A lot of people don't like the heaviness of deep dish and forget that no one in Chicago eats it more than once every 3 months.

If you're up for traveling, there's a lot of places within the city that you can reach via trains/buses, and as long as you have one of those credit cards with the wireless symbol on it you can use that to board the CTA. Pequod's and Lou Malnatti's are probably my favorites that are easily accessible. But once again, if you don't want a heaping pila of pizza, thin crust will still be legit.

That was beautiful and I could not have said it any better.

I thought they were crazy, but I've come to love Chicago-style dogs. In truth, I don't know which place is better than the other, though, it's just a hot dog, you can't really mess it up.

Giordano's is a big chain, but it's a very consistent chain. There are countless little mom n' pop shops across town that'll do it marginally better than Giordano's, but also tons that will do it much worse. Giordano's is a good bet it if you're not trying to play with the pizza fates. Lou Malnatti's isn't quite as heavy/thick, and they do a butter crust thing that's fun sometimes.

I just like chili cheese dogs and meat lovers pizza. Mmmm, we will all get together at one point and eat food together right? I liked that when I did it for the first evo I went to, but I didn't for the second. Also about 3 people have promised me ice cream

I just like chili cheese dogs and meat lovers pizza. Mmmm, we will all get together at one point and eat food together right? I liked that when I did it for the first evo I went to, but I didn't for the second. Also about 3 people have promised me ice cream
i lost so I I couldn't get you ice cream >:C

If we're getting together to go out for pizza, I'm down for whatever, but as a personal preference, I want the heaviest, meatiest pizza available.

Also, just submitted my request for time off. Hope I get it! Then I can change that "maybe" into a "yes."

Reactions: Swiftfox-Dash
The best chicago hot dog place is Portillos and I will literally fight anyone who disagrees with me. Fuck Gene and fuck Jude too.

Reactions: Hilary
I've seen the IRC. We're 50/50 on correctly typing ^. It'd be a loooooooooong tourney

Reactions: fenster
I've seen the IRC. We're 50/50 on correctly typing ^. It'd be a loooooooooong tourney
Still shorter than most League of Legends tourney that ever existed (They last around 1 - 3 hours, and that's ONE match or one round or whatever you want to call it). And also, the only thing that needs typing to execute correctly on TotS are the blockbusters, which will regenerate at a slow pace.

I would be down to clown on that
Playing or typing

What's everyone's opinion on wireless keyboards? How much does lag matter for ToTS?

TotS? Now I have to go.

I knew those typing lessons in high school would pay off some day.

(If you don't get a Chicago-style you can use ketchup, though)

If you're up for traveling, there's a lot of places within the city that you can reach via trains/buses, and as long as you have one of those credit cards with the wireless symbol on it you can use that to board the CTA. Pequod's and Lou Malnatti's are probably my favorites that are easily accessible. But once again, if you don't want a heaping pila of pizza, thin crust will still be legit.

I've gotten a few dirty looks for putting ketchup on my dog before. It didn't do much though, he just licked it off. *buh-dum chhh*

(I'm sorry. Also I don't actually own a dog...)

I <3 Peaquads pretty hard, but I haven't had it in..... years apparently. Dang. Been here longer than I thought.

Do they have multiple locations though? The only one I can think of is in the Lincoln Park area (on Clybourn I think?) which would be quite the trek from the O'Hare stop. If you took the L you'd have to go all the way downtown first. A bus would be a little faster I guess, though I'm actually not sure if there's a convenient one in that airport-y area.

Is it confirmed that SkullGirls will be on Saturday at 3 pm?

No. There is no schedule until "April." http://combobreaker.org/schedule/

Entrants are registering with the assumption "that your tournament pool(s) may start as early as 1 PM on Friday May 22nd, 2015."

Well I'm not signing up until I know what day it starts.

Last edited:
Got my time off approved today. I'm registered and have the hotel. Just need to decide if I wanna take the bus.

Reactions: erkicman and Kai
Well I'm not signing up until I know what day it starts.

The event starts Friday, May 22nd.

We're not releasing a schedule until mid-April as registration numbers will determine what games must start on Friday and what games have few enough entrants to start on Saturday. Truthfully any community's "goal" should be to start on Friday. I know a few people are seeking to get a team tournament in place, which is definitely an early or late Friday only opportunity as well.

I completely understand waiting though.

Well the thing is, I'm starting (or hoping to anyways) a new job with a probationary period where the only time off approved will be emergencies. So the earliest I would be able to get there would be late Friday night. If I don't get the job, then it's all fair game, but I'm pretty confident that I will so I need to know before I can take action.

Well I just had two of my co-workers up and leave for another job and i'm the last one left in my department... Hopefully I can get the new guys trained in by May month so I can go, otherwise I'll be stuck. :(

Wow it took me this long to look into it. Its like half as much to get to combobreaker than evo. Think I may be able to make it and just stay home for evo. Time to save and do odd jobs.

Reactions: mcpeanuts
Well the thing is, I'm starting (or hoping to anyways) a new job with a probationary period where the only time off approved will be emergencies. So the earliest I would be able to get there would be late Friday night. If I don't get the job, then it's all fair game, but I'm pretty confident that I will so I need to know before I can take action.

Definitely respectable. Combo Breaker doesn't offer special treatment player wise (so I can't preemptively guarantee when you'd play) but its unlikely you'd need to be there before Friday night. I anticipate SG doing well if reg pace keeps up, but I'd be surprised to see it be a 200+ entrant title requiring early Friday pools. I'd wait till April for the initial schedule announcement, but I think you'll be alright.

Status
Not open for further replies.