• As part of the relaunch of Skullheart, ALL previous threads have been archived. You can find them at the bottom of the forum in the Archives (2021) section. The archives are locked, so please use the new forum sections to create new discussion threads.

[May 22, 2015] Combo Breaker 2015 (Rosemont, IL)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Somewhat odd question, but has anyone taken the amtrak to/from Chicago? There's a stop in my town that goes direct to Union station and I'm considering it over bus or flight.

Yes, I took the Amtrak train last year and it was great. It's longer than Bus rides but you usually have more space and more convenience than the bus. Keep in mind though that whatever ETA they give you might end up taking longer due to the stops they'll probably make.

Amtrak to Union Station would be a good way to get in. And it's like an hour and a couple dollars to get to the hotel on the CTA. Directions

+1 for giving yourself extra time. Amtrak doesn't actually own the train lines, so they have to stop for freights. And if the stops are busier, then it will take a little more time still.

Reactions: fenster
Kind of a long bus ride, but I suppose with all those stops it can't be helped. Still, $2 isn't bad for that.

fwiw that's a train 95% of the way. Much nicer ride.

And depending on how much you're carrying you could even walk to the hotel from the stop if you're feeling adventurous.

I was looking into the Amtrak myself, but ultimately decided it would take too long and still be a bit expensive. Ultimately decided to just fly early Friday morning, get in around 9:30am and go from there. Considering the difference in money is made up working that Thursday instead of taking the day off just for travel, ultimately decided flying was better for convenience.

Only problem I have now is trying to find a way to get my monitor on the plane. Want to bring it on as a carry-on as lolTSA will probably break it. Been looking through Amazon and noticed a few monitor strap-ons with handles that can be used to carry around. Anybody have experience transporting monitors in planes and what you use to pack it with?

I already took thursday and monday off for travel. Yeah, I'd more than make up the difference in cost by flying, but the train would mean i don't have to leave my car at the airport/take a shuttle. Also, big fan of being in town before 5pm.

Your Illinois tournament for 2015 is now equal in size to 2014. Over a month of registration still exists. How big can this get? Has Skullgirls had a 128 man bracket in recent years? BlazBlue last year (main Anime game at the time) was a bit under a 128 man bracket. Would be interesting to see the SG community forcibly seen as equally respectable numbers wise.

Cause I'm looking at the prices and it's looking well within my budget so depending on the flight your taking maybe we could roll in together cause I don't know my way around Chicago -_-

You don't need to know your way around Chicago, you just need to know how to get from the airport to the hotel.

@mcpeanuts are you guys flying out of Logan?
I am, yes. I am flying out Friday at 1PM and getting there at 4PM.
You don't need to know your way around Chicago, you just need to know how to get from the airport to the hotel.
Or have GPS on your phone. Or take a taxi or something.

Gotcha. I'll have to look how far away the hotel is from the airport cause if it's like 5 miles away I'm not afraid of walking

Gotcha. I'll have to look how far away the hotel is from the airport cause if it's like 5 miles away I'm not afraid of walking
There are shuttles. You're good.

Are you coming into O'hare (ORD) or Midway (MDW)? O'hare to the venue is easy, Midway is doable but a longer ride.

It's looking like O'hare. Also when is everyone staying till? Cause it's wicked cheap if everyone is leaving Tuesday

Who is flying out of chicago back to LA on monday afternoon I want to be your airplane friend

I'm planning on leaving monday. It's not worth the cost of missing an extra day's work

I'm praying for Saturday pools now.

So Cal confirmed for BrawlCombo Breaker

Tiiiiiime to get a flight settled

I wonder which version will be at CB. Should we worry about Robo or not?

I wonder which version will be at CB. Should we worry about Robo or not?
I highly doubt Robo Fortune will be on PSN by the time Combo Breaker rolls around. They'd have to submit that patch in like, 3 weeks for her to be approved by then, and she doesn't even have all her specials right now.

Robo has no chance, I'm just hoping for Beo. <3

Just submitted my registration.

Now to get a flight and room.

Also @Some Person, it says for the Lethal League 2v2, you gotta put my name in the box. Verdant Brave is two words.

Reactions: Kai
I'm not going to be able to go this year.... I just found out that I have to pay like an $800 bill for school so I'm gonna have to pass. (._.)

Huh. I really dig the art style.

Also, lol to all the other games with their meager 1k pot bonus. We big money now.

Last minute reg flood hasn't come in yet but I felt y'all should know Skullgirls currently has the second highest registrant grouping of any game at Combo Breaker. If the community winds up part of the usual last minute reg flood to maintain that spot you'll be breaking a ton of expectations.

Kudos.

Last minute reg flood hasn't come in yet but I felt y'all should know Skullgirls currently has the second highest registrant grouping of any game at Combo Breaker. If the community winds up part of the usual last minute reg flood to maintain that spot you'll be breaking a ton of expectations.
You wanna tweet that so I can retweet it?
(I LOVE social media -.-)

I'm not going to be able to go this year.... I just found out that I have to pay like an $800 bill for school so I'm gonna have to pass. (._.)
Dammit, I wanted to meet you! But sorry to hear that. :(

Reactions: joshb911
I'll be there in spirit, giving my ki for the Skull Girls Spirit Bomb.

♪ Cha-La! Head Cha-La! No time to hesitate, go on and search the earth Within it lies a magic surprise. Ohhhh~♪

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.