• As part of the relaunch of Skullheart, ALL previous threads have been archived. You can find them at the bottom of the forum in the Archives (2021) section. The archives are locked, so please use the new forum sections to create new discussion threads.

[May 22, 2015] Combo Breaker 2015 (Rosemont, IL)

Status
Not open for further replies.
I think we had a pretty decent synergy Kai.

I want to get a picture with kai so that I can look like a middle schooler next to him.

Alright. Question for you tournament veterans out there. This being my first fighting game tournament, how exactly does the tournament work? I know that matches are best 2/3 and that most everyone starts in pools that eventually become a top something (depending on size), which splits into a winners and losers bracket etc., basic stuff you can pick up from watching tournament videos. One thing I've never really seen though (since it's not usually streamed/recorded), is how things go from pools to top whatever. More specifically, what happens if I loose my first match? Is that it, or is there something like a losers bracket in pools as well? Considering I've never actually played anyone irl in general, let alone in a tournament setting, I'm going to be nervous as fuck in my first match and it'd be cool if I get a second chance to not suck too hard.

Pools are each their own small bracket, usually capped at 16 person. My guess is that there will be 8 pools. The top 2 from each pool move in to top 16. One in winner's bracket, one in losers.

The entire tournament for all games is double elimination. Everyone starts in the winners bracket. When you lose you are placed at a certain point in the losers bracket, depending on how far you made it in winners. When you lose in losers bracket you are out of the tournament.

Don't be nervous, or at least try not to. Have fun, first and foremost.

Reactions: Senjin
Alright. Question for you tournament veterans out there.
Because it wasn't said, general tournament etiquette:
Be at your assigned pool station early, like at least 10 min early. Stick around after they call your name. Don't leave until you either qualify or are eliminated completely. If you have to go pee or whatever, tell the person running your bracket so they are not stuck looking for you when you're gone.

In case my shouting or towering over you isn't enough, I'll be wearing myself
CE2JYamUIAAyCNq.png

whyyyyyyyyyyyyy

Pools are each their own small bracket, usually capped at 16 person. My guess is that there will be 8 pools. The top 2 from each pool move in to top 16. One in winner's bracket, one in losers.

The entire tournament for all games is double elimination. Everyone starts in the winners bracket. When you lose you are placed at a certain point in the losers bracket, depending on how far you made it in winners. When you lose in losers bracket you are out of the tournament.

Don't be nervous, or at least try not to. Have fun, first and foremost.

Ha, thanks. The nerves aren't going to detract at all, if anything they'll just add to the excitement. I get really nervous over a lot of things, especially if it's a new experience like this, so it's something I'm used to dealing with. I'll most likely bring a banana or two with me to eat before my match and maybe I'll brush up on some of the Alexander technique I know...

Anyways, another question (to anyone who wants to answer). What are some of ya'lls warm up routines (if you have one)? Do you just drill some stuff in training mode solo? Do you play some matches with your roommates? Both?

That question is a large one and outside the parameters of this thread. Combos, setups, things you have trouble dealing with, casual matches/sets, all of these things are useful to work on. The Training Diaries section might be of good use for you in terms of understanding how people train and improve.

That question is a large one and outside the parameters of this thread. Combos, setups, things you have trouble dealing with, casual matches/sets, all of these things are useful to work on. The Training Diaries section might be of good use for you in terms of understanding how people train and improve.

Ah, I should clarify. I wasn't talking about how to prepare for the tournament, but how to warm up before my first match. Or really, not how specifically, but if I'd have the opportunity to. Like, is there a chance for me to play some Skullgirls the day of the tournament before the tournament proper starts? I'd prefer it if the first time I play the game that day isn't during my first match.

The setups will be there to play on at all times during the event. Any time there is not currently a bracket going on, they are open for casuals. So before and affter pools for the day are done on Friday, then also after one pools starts and the next begins. Some people bring full setups for secret hotel room warm ups as well

I'd say practice that thing you screw up a lot. Your bnb on a weird character weight; your anchor's double snap; etc. But think of the tournament as just the "test your might!" portion of the weekend. No need to take it super seriously (and you'll do better if you don't).

idk I don't really think warming up is that important. I like to play 4-5 games before the tournament starts to convince myself that I still know how to play Skullgirls but other than that I don't usually play many casuals at all over the course of the weekend.

idk I don't really think warming up is that important. I like to play 4-5 games before the tournament starts to convince myself that I still know how to play Skullgirls but other than that I don't usually play many casuals at all over the course of the weekend.
Warming up has always solved my issues relating to cold hands, nerves, adhd, and dropping fiber loops/squigly links constantly. I think it is very important. Even if you don't have execution issues, you need to be comfortable moving around in neutral so you don't freeze up. It's also a good reminder that even though you're in a new place and probably playing in front of people, that you still have all the tools you need to win.

other than that I don't usually play many casuals at all over the course of the weekend.
If it's your first offline tournament you have the chance to play with and learn from so many new people in person. Not to mention it's easier for other people to help you in casuals offline. Every time I play offline with sage I learn something critical that levels me up just a bit.

Not to mention I'm sure as hell not going to an out of state tournament without playing casuals with my east coast mans!

Last edited:
I like warming up and shaking out nerves by entering a completely different game that I have never played and then either

• losing horribly so I hit the bottom very quickly and remind myself that I am playing video games, but in a game that has no real bearing on my purpose there
  • somehow accidentally kill people with 15-minute Merkava or 5-Minute Teddie and laugh hysterically

Most important tournament etiquette: Shower. Change your clothes. Bring deodorant.

Well, last year there was deodorant at every station, so perhaps you might not need to worry about that last point :v

Don't trample on the lessons brought to us by the final ufgt. Bring deodorant.

Reactions: FuLLBLeeD
I like warming up and shaking out nerves by entering a completely different game that I have never played and then either

• losing horribly so I hit the bottom very quickly and remind myself that I am playing video games, but in a game that has no real bearing on my purpose there
  • somehow accidentally kill people with 15-minute Merkava or 5-Minute Teddie and laugh hysterically

I love doing this with SF4. Get the salt out early with the game you don't care about as much.

Most important tournament etiquette: Shower. Change your clothes. Bring deodorant.
This needs to be shouted over the loudspeaker over and over again.

Nerds need to level up their shower game. Winning by choking off the oxygen to the other mans brain shouldn't be allowed.

Forfeit if I play you and we've got a deal. :^P

Also, abuse those interactables. I wanna see that on the big stage.
Mike Z wants to see me use interactables?!??
Dunking everybody.
But no seriously I wanna run a set. Its been 2 years MIKE

NMO ARENA SIGNS

How we doing' this? Who's bringing poster board and markers? Who wants to take lead on making sure the audience is equipped?

I'm already bringing an assortment of national flags :P

Um... Yeah, not much for masks this year. But the Signs... I got some Ideas.

I dunno if I'll have room to bring along sign stuff, but I'll see what I can do.

I also recommend a giant Shio kanji sign, since Fuzzy somehow was right.

well, i mostly blame squigly getting a raging demon on him.

Squigly's raging demon. I still can't believe it. Mike, what made you do it?

Worth mentioning that I got the okay to use my dad's recording stuff while at CB, so I can always bring my laptop and the equipment for the sake of recording off-stream. I'll have to mess around with it tho before committing to anything, but I'm also planning on bringing my Blue Snowball so someone could potentially commentate the off-stream matches.

If it doesn't work out, then it doesn't work out, but I figure I can still try.

I request that grand finals be played on NMO Arena for that Beowulf theme HYPE.

.... cause I certainly won't be in it ;_;

More recording setups the better, hype matches being played off stream will inevitable so it'll be good to do what we can.

If I spot a hype match that isn't being recorded or anything you can expect that P H O N E C A M on my channel later. ;D

As long as the recording setup has a powered hdmi splitter then it'll be groovy.

Pool directory pls

Pools won't be announced till after registration closes, and probably a day or two after that even. People still have till tomorrow 11:59 PM to do that, so patience.

Reactions: Clawsome Bombs
Yeah okay
I'm just ready to fight
So pumped to strut my stuff

Status
Not open for further replies.