• As part of the relaunch of Skullheart, ALL previous threads have been archived. You can find them at the bottom of the forum in the Archives (2021) section. The archives are locked, so please use the new forum sections to create new discussion threads.

[May 22, 2015] Combo Breaker 2015 (Rosemont, IL)

Status
Not open for further replies.
man i forgot about that one guy who came up with like 5 gallons of water and a gallon of juice like "thirst is over" i forget who it was but you should get in touch with him, get yourself rehydrated

Oh yeah, I passed that guy on the elevator to my floor. Caught me hella offguard, at least Ken said he had to go find a gallon of water.

shout out to everyone who i didnt meet at this tournament even thought we were probably 3ft away from each other. Lets not have that happen next time. I'm great at giving hugs, if you happen to stop breathing during it, it's not my fault, it's just all love <3. Seriously though, this was an amazing event, i had so much fun and it was so hype. Can't wait for the next one and i hope to be much much better next time. Special shout out to @Zephyrel for saving New Your in out time of need and everyone who chipped in to help get us home. This community is the fucking best and I love everyone.

Reactions: dapurplesharpie
man i forgot about that one guy who came up with like 5 gallons of water and a gallon of juice like "thirst is over" i forget who it was but you should get in touch with him, get yourself rehydrated

That was me. Being allergic to every damn thing, I sometimes have to worry about the city water treatment. Kai was pulling through for me then. Since I was flying I left the water in my room. Juice got finished off with Mwisk's amazing rum.

@Clawsome Bombs the real mvp

No idea what I did for you but <3

Okay so hereeeee we go

@dapurplesharpie Thanks for the sets and generally being a great player and person to chill with. It was great playing the #2 Eliza in the world on stream :)
@POS Industries Also thanks for the set. It's too bad we couldn't duke it out on SNS, but maybe next year! Also, you owe me a hug.
@matlokholmes Thanks for putting your neck out on the room and being funny as hell
@Shadowfury333 Thanks for being a chill dude and general nice guy.
@Shadowstew Thanks for the same thing. Also, the 5:00 am Sunday talk about how we can't wait to come back next year.
@drewski Thanks for having me realize that if I actually studied headless neutral and didn't forget my axe kick loops on Band I would have beat you :P
@ShadeMoneh Thanks for being my second loss and for the mixtape. Also, happy birthday dude!
@Mike_Z Thanks for teaching me Big Band neutral, Peacock avoidance, and playing a ft10 with me at 5:00 am. Also, for the greatest game ever.
@Some Person Thanks for recording all of the awesome things that the SG community did so our salt, hype, and sexiness are immortalized.
@MysteriousJ Thanks for forming an impromptu team for the 3 v 3 tournament with me.
@Elda Taluda Thanks for taking out our entire 3v3 team with each of us ALMOST beating you, but for real you're a good player hope to fight some sets with you next year
@Verdant Brave Thanks for being a chill Peacock player.
@Zidiane Thanks for the set and continuing to be a B E L L A B O Y
@Kai Thanks for being the heart of our hype and bringing your beautiful family to CB.
@KhaosMuffins Thanks for the sets and the Fortune advice. I'll have your head spinning next year with my improvements! ft10 Fortune Solo mirror yo
@Skarmand Thanks for the anime hair
@zarkingphoton I would say thanks for playing solo Double but \_ ' _ ' _/
@Broseidon Rex Thanks for being the fun Solobella :)
@Dhoppler Thanks for being a funny and nice guy. Also, you owe me a money match. :P

And last but certainly not least, thanks @thehadou for giving SG main stage status and supporting us. Hope to raise the hype again with you next year!

Anyone I forgot fite me in a ft10 next year for all my Bison Bucks
Also you get a free hug, apology, and a haiku

Sorry these took so long, I'm in the process of filling out more than 20 job applications because I'm tired of being poor. Yay, converting after tourney blues into productive drive!

I definitely slacked on the money matches. Apologies.

Reactions: Clawsome Bombs
That was me
is this you irl

Rebroadcast of top 16 is tonight at 6:30pm CST, followed immediately by the Community CMV. I'll be handing out Steam codes if you have friends who wonder why you're a weird furry hat guy that you want to try the game.

If you don't have time to hang out tonight, top 16 matches are already up on my YT.

It's me I'm that crazy guy shouting out everyone. Took forever to write too.

If I miss anyone, know that I probably really enjoyed meeting/talking with you and if anyone hasn't already go ahead and add me on steam since I'll play anytime. I hope everyone can show up again next year!

@drewski You really should've gotten a hair but, lol. Next time we definitely need to get to play some other people in ST though. And it's a good thing we decided to bring that setup, huh? :P

@Mr Peck It was awesome meeting you for the first time! I knew what you looked like but I didn't realize you were super tall, haha. And it was great to finally play you in casuals, hopefully next time we do I'll step things up when I know I could do better. But you were still the best overall in casuals that weekend, tournament be damned, so you should hold that. You were super fun to room with and to hang out with, so I hope you had as good as a time as the rest of us and hopefully the trip was worth it. I really have to apologize about our wednesday plans falling apart, but I hope the Pizza the next day made up for it.

@Some Person Dude it was super cool to finally meet you IRL, it was super fun to hang out. It was really cool to have you for the one night, though now that I think about it we never got in time for our own set. But even so, I saw you playing others and know about how you did in tournament, and its great to see you also making a name for SoCal. Next time lets make sure to get in a set.

@Jason It was a pleasure to room with you, sir. It kind of sucks that we played that morning, then ended up playing each other first in pools, but I hope you got to play some other people too. I hope you really enjoyed the experience and showing up for everything since you always seemed so depressed in IRC and stuff, so I was hopeful showing up to a tournament would lift your spirits.

Also shoutouts to hogging the fridge with 3 days worth of leftovers, hooray for never finishing a meal ;_;

@Ryden Onkars Am I the only one whose gonna shout out to you? Lol, it was great seeing you again, we didn't get to play but it was great seeing you on that last night. You'll have to start practicing more though, since I don't think you'll scrub your way to top places as easily in the future. :P

@Dhoppler Super happy to meet you again, and I'm glad we got in at least 1 set, though next time yeah you should go your old team. And your story on Sunday night to my roomates was hilarious man, haha, so thanks for that. Hopefully you don't become a meme with the shoes thing.

@FuLLBLeeD It was great to see you, and I'm glad we at least got a little of bit of time for a set at the end! Hopefully you practice even more in a years time, since I think you just need to put in more time to work around your normal habits. Also seriously man, I will be down for ST anytime, see my Chun :P

@Zephyrel Holy crap, never expected you to be so short! I think you win the award for most "Wow, that's who "X" looks like IRL?" comments. Still though, it was cool to meet you. Hopefully next time we can get some games in, and your effort for new york was most appreciated.

@Fuzzy_Snugs It was great to meet you again, glad we got the little time to chat this year. I still think your the best squigly fwiw, and we definitely should play more in the future.

@evilben It was great to meet you again, and your just as cool as a year ago. I have to ask though, didn't you use Filia/LnL rather than copter? Glad we got that set in though anyways, and no worries about the Indiana scene, you should just focus on STL for the time being and I'll see what I can do here.

@alexpi It was really cool to finally meet you irl! We never got in a chance for a set, but I hope next time we get more time to hang out since I enjoyed talking with you in the rare chances we got.

@Elda Taluda Great to see you again, especially at the dinner! Shame we didn't get any more opportunities to hang out, but all the the same its great to see you. Especially great that you still seem to be in fine form.

@POS Industries Glad to finally meet you irl! Now I finally get to see the face behind the voice who's commentated all those skullbats, lol. Even though you don't run them and you just commentate, I do think playing a bunch of skullbats has helped me, so I very much appreciate what you do for sbats to keep things looking lively.

@Sarcasmic Another solo player! <3 Good to see you dude. You may be kind of quiet, but it was cool to hang with you, and I hope you had a great time. We should play sometime.

@Edee It was cool to meet you again, I hope you can show up to the monthlies if its not too inconvenient, cause I'd totally be down to play you more locally if you ever showed up.

@KhaosMuffins I don't know what to say that I already haven't, but thanks for sticking with the game all this time when it seemed like you would drop it. It made me really happy to finally get to meet you and talk to you about solos and stuff, and I really appreciate the games. I really want to play you more so I can get a better handle against fortune, haha, but still you played great and your fortune play always amazes me. I think you played great in the tournament, and I really hope you stick with the game so that we can tighten up some of the execution drops you seemed to have, but good shit all the same. soloboys ;_;

@Kai We love you Kai why do you have to already be married to a super hot woman ;_; It was awesome to meet you again after all this time, super sad we didn't get to play, but it was great to see you play this year! You surprised so many people, but I knew that you've been putting in work and I believe that you can get even better if you stay in there, you alreayd got that double snap down :P

@Lethalmind Dude man, its always great to see you, but we really need to make it a priority to get a set in ;_;

@ShadeMoneh Is it just me, or do you seem more buff than NEC? Good shit during pools though, you played well. You always look like you have a hard time whenever people make jokes, but you are super cool to be around so I'm glad I got to hang out a tiny bit with you. And maybe we need to make time for a set too. Also rip on the bus ride ;_;

@WarpedEcho You were just as fun to be around as NEC! It was great talking with you, especially about the Robo fortune stuff. We really need to get to playing her sometime.

@keninblack Super glad I got to meet you again, and I'm happy I got to see you play IRL this time (since I never saw you play at NEC). I'm glad you got back into the game come time for this tournament because I always love watching you play. One of these days we'll get to play, but even without playing you are a great person to be around with your spirit. Also you yelling at Duck and Khaos to stop playing the anime game on Sunday Night is easily one of my top moments of CB, lmao.

@winnie I know I said this before, but I was super happy to see you go back to Filia/Double, cause you make it work so well. And I definitely agree with your point about Point double too. Also I have to say no one was more on point with blocking Parasoul lowverheads than you :P

@LSP It was great to finally meet you dude! You were super cool to be around, and I'm super super sad we never got to play, we really need to get on that.

@acfan It was cool to meet you! SUPER sorry I forgot that we talked on pizza night and then I completely forgot who you were the next day ;_; I do remember us talking though, and it was nice to get to play you.

@Natezer Haha, glad I finally got to hang out with you more this time around, it was super cool dude. We also got in that set finally, and I hope you take some of the advice to heart.

@Zidiane We didn't interact as much this time around, but it was still great to see you. You also forgot your pad....twice over the weekend? Once in our room and another before the day of pools. Might wanna keep that thing more attached :P

@mcpeanuts I'm kind of sad I gave up my time to play you in casuals, but it was worth it to see you vs Peck. As always, you were great fun to be around, though I feel bad I didn't get to drink much this time around, but maybe another time.

@LazyBakemono I'm glad you came, since you did really well. Also really cool to meet you finally and play you IRL, even if it was fairly brief. I hope you stay in there.

@SonicFox5000 Haha, I got bodied, good shit though. I'm just mostly sad I won't get the chance to play you for a long time, but for what its worth I really enjoyed the matches. And sorry about being tired during the team tournamentthing, I was kind of dead by then ;(. For MKX, Raiden looks pretty broke IMO but we'll still root for you to win CEO and EVO man :D

@dekillsage Thanks a bunch for the early morning casuals. Sorry I couldn't put up a better fight, but you're definitely right about my execution. I really hope to stay in there and improve, and I appreciate the advice. And you definitely have my regards about the long bus ride, but sorry about all the other troubles on the way back, that really sucked :(

@dapurplesharpie Super glad to see you again! And glad you are sticking in the tournament, cause you've already started to show improvement! Just stay in there. And thanks so much for the shirt, I really like it a lot! <3 eliza

@cloudKing211 My man ;_; I'm sad that it felt like we never got any more chances to hang out or eat or anything, but it was great talking with you during the tournament about the game and stuff. You most certainly deserved that Top 8 spot and you did super great in the tournament like I knew you would. Cheers to that drive to keep improving!

@matlokholmes Your laughter is as infectious as ever. Trust me, I'm SUPER sad we still haven't played ;( we really need to make it a point next time to get down, but it was still great just hanging with you, man.

@Broseidon Rex Sorry we never got that set :( Definitely next time we'll get in there. I hope you don't mind the teasing about forgetting names, it was just cute. Thanks as always for getting everyone hyped with the signs and being there for the community, and I do want to personally thank you for the pizza trip since it made me feel better after the wednesday trip failed. I can't tell you how bad i feel about the brewery, so I really hope next time we meet we go out to one to make up for it, maybe even with @Outlaw_Spike too!

@Datagram We didn't interact much, but I'm actually kind of sad we didn't :( You're a cool dude, hopefully we get more chances to hang next time

@WingZero Wing pls <3 You were great man, you most certainly deserved that spot and I hope people really start talking less shit on SoCal now. I know we wanted to play, but I also know that both of us were prety much challenging everyone else too lol, so it's all good I think. I definitely think you've improved the most out of any of us and I really hope we keep getting better! You were also just as nice and funny and great to be with as always, so I can't wait to meet you again bro. Also your parasoul is super underrated but I have your back ;( (not that your filia is any slouch of course)

@Verdant Brave Holy crap, now I see why you always seem to be talking about food when it comes to salty, haha. It was great meeting you and I hope going to a major gives you some drive to keep playing and improving, and I hope those figures arrived home safely. Next year we may just need to get you your own pizza :P

@Mike_Z It was great seeing you again like last year. I'm super super super sad I didn't get a chance to play you, but I'm at least glad you finally got to play drewski. Knowing that you rooted for me makes me sad I choked on my execution in top 16, so I hope to try even harder next time. Everytime you get mad at the community over all the crap we send to you, I get sad, but I hope this tournament was great for you to be in and have fun with the rest of us. And apologies about everyone crowding around your matches if that bothers you, so many of us only get to see you play only the SoCal guys, so I hope you can forgive us :(

@Negus Eyoel Man I love seeing you at these tournaments, lol. A lot of times you seem unenthused, but when you get hype it's infectious and great to be around. I'm glad we finally got to play a set IRL, hopefully one day you'll settle on a team but it was good stuff altogether.

@worldjem It was great seeing you again, I'm glad I finally got to play you again even if it was only for what seemed like a short set. Hopefully next year we can hang out a little more, but hey are you proud of me for doing better than getting 0-2 last year? :D

@Mr. X We didn't get a chance to talk much at all, but I was happy to get to meet you and see you IRL. Hopefully next time we can interact a little more, but glad to see you come here to the tournament.

@Clawsome Bombs Holy crap, you're a riot dude, lol. I didn't expect you to have so much energy, but it was a blast to see you go off and have a great time. I definitely can't wait to see you again, and I'm glad we got the chance to play.

@Tommer You are a fucking Magician omg, we love you already <3

@helpmegetbetter It was great to see you irl! It's okay if you just want to lurk, but feel free to hit me up and stuff, and I'm glad I got to recognize you and say hi.

@Shadowstew and @Shadowfury333 didn't get to see you guys much aside from the buffet, but that was a great time at the buffet, good to see you guys.

@Saske Dude it was so great to meet you IRL, you were just as much of a riot as I thought you'd be and that's perfect. Hope you can continue to show up to majors while you can, and I'm super super happy I got to get in a set with you, I really hope and believe that you can get better.

@Pickles It was really nice to finally meet you IRL, glad to see you were part of the early morning casuals before the tournament, and I was happy we got a chance to play a set before everything was said and done. Was really happy to see one of us skullbats boys make it to the tournament and play here.

@Skarmand It was really cool to meet you IRL, even though we never interacted much, but thats okay. GGs man, and I really appreciated the small conversation we had before our match cause I thought for some reason you were mad at me. Always love watching your parasoul, and I didn't get a chance to thank you for this IRL but your effort for tutorials is much appreciated. I hope we get to play again, and I certainly hope that you had a great time traveling out here for the tournament!

@IAmAphroDynamek No one said it I guess, but dude it was great seeing you show up for supporting the community, even though you weren't streaming us this time. It's great to see you support us and we are super thankful and happy to have you with us. Hopefully next time there's an event you hang out with us more!

Last edited:
@Mr Peck I hope you had as good as a time as the rest of us and hopefully the trip was worth it. I really have to apologize about our wednesday plans falling apart, but I hope the Pizza the next day made up for it.
I had loads of fun, it was totally worth it! Even though I played like crap in my tournament matches, everything else was great. Don't worry about Wednesday either; I got to learn about the wonders of Denny's instead, and we still got pizza the next day.

I'm way too lazy to write more than a few proper shoutouts, but everyone I talked to or played against is great. Fenster gets an extra special shoutout for sorting out our room and lending us his monitor on Sunday night, Mike Z is awesome for all the invaluable advice on my playstyle and characters (and for making the game!), WingZero is really good at this videogame and is going to continue to get way better, and everyone else is fantastic too. I'll be coming back next year if I can afford it and I'll try to drag some more UK/EU players along with me.

Reactions: Muro and fenster
For the records, at any offline event ever, from the minute I leave my car to the moment I leave the event I am never 100% sober.
So...you were drunk the entire bus ride, then?

@fenster
You're a cool dude.

@Mr Peck
You're also a cool dude.

@worldjem It was great seeing you again, I'm glad I finally got to play you again even if it was only for what seemed like a short set. Hopefully next year we can hang out a little more, but hey are you proud of me for doing better than getting 0-2 last year? :D

Definitely! You've improved a lot since the last time I met you in person.
I'll have to get some more games with you at the next tournament.

I actually wanted to snag a pic with Mike Z and tell him how cool his combo vids were and made me want to dig deeper into FGs but totally forgot because he is Mike Z and was star struck after introducing myself.

I also sat next to Ed Boon like all of Friday during MKX pools and told him MKX is nice looking. His eyebrows are p.dope.

Reactions: fenster and Pickles
I yelled at Ed Boon who he likes in GF and he shrugged and said "I like them both." and I instinctively flipped him the bird and shouted "Oh FUCK YOU" without thinking.

Good times.

also suuuper early I know but just trying to get a feel ahead of time, who thinks they'll be making it back to Chicago for Frosty Faustings 8?

This years FF my local fgc group ended up telling me right before that they couldn't go, only to then backtrack that decision and go without me, so I'll definitely try and see if I can be better prepared and attend the next Frosty Faustings.

It's pretty far from west Canada, but if we make it really big I can probably make it out again.

also suuuper early I know but just trying to get a feel ahead of time, who thinks they'll be making it back to Chicago for Frosty Faustings 8?
I'd like to go again, I had fun at the last one

I'll be at ff again

My main limiter is vacation time (at least until 2018), so I guess this one gets more SG support, so I guess I'll come back.

I want to do actual Chicago touristy stuff as well next time.

I wasn't very talkative at the event, I admittedly felt a little out of place since everyone seemed to kind of know people already. I wound up hanging back and just taking it easy most of the time, but that's how I usually roll anyways and I still had a lot of fun. There are a few people I'd like to shout out to though...

@worldjem For being the first person I ever faced IRL. (porbs don't remember me, I didn't introduce myself or anything, but I was the poor Fukua/Squigly player. We played on Friday before pools).

@Zephyrel For being the only person I fought who actually straight up told me things I was bad at and how to sorta fix them. I actually really appreciated the advice <3

I wound up being waaaaay more relaxed during my tourney matches than I was expecting, which was somewhat of a surprise. I had a lot of fun playing casuals with people too, even with losing all of them, and I feel like I learned a lot. All in all, going to Combo Breaker has definitely gotten me more into this game and I'm itching to play and get better.

Should probably start being more active around here as well so that I can kinda get to know all you fine folks before the next tournament.

Since I live in Chicago, totally plan on going to this.

Reactions: CaioLugon
is this you irl

No. I just like knowing that I'll have enough for the weekend. I was expecting a pack of water bottles, not a billion gallon jug for what it's worth.

Reactions: Pickles
if that video ever stops being amazing, i don't want to live on this earth anymore

Reactions: Mwisk
@Jason It was a pleasure to room with you, sir. It kind of sucks that we played that morning, then ended up playing each other first in pools, but I hope you got to play some other people too. I hope you really enjoyed the experience and showing up for everything since you always seemed so depressed in IRC and stuff, so I was hopeful showing up to a tournament would lift your spirits.

Also shoutouts to hogging the fridge with 3 days worth of leftovers, hooray for never finishing a meal ;_;

Don't worry about it dude. I never expected to make it out of that pool anyway lol. Too many killers. I had a lot of fun at CB.

Also yo we had leftovers in our room? I would have been all over that.

Also, for anyone who didn't learn it while they were there, this is an important PSA about tying your shoes.

sharpie noo!!

Don't know why I waited this long to write my reflections and shout outs. But any longer and it'll count as a thread necro so here goes:

Combo Breaker was better than any EVO I've been to. Yes, this was the first tournament I've been to where I didn't go 0-2 in SG, but 2-2! (to my first opponent, I am very, very sorry if I forgot to shake your hand after our match. I was in a state of shock and hyperventilation and
was actively holding back tears that I won a match in tournament for the first time. Good games!) But beyond that, there was so much to do and so many interesting things to watch. I was always having fun when I was in that ballroom. Anything SG-related was just so... SG has clearly turned into something magical and I think the community and staff did a great job of showcasing it with everything that went down at the event. From pools to top 8 I have never seen SG played at the caliber that I saw at Combo Breaker, both in terms of hype and skill.

Okay, so:

@IAmAphroDynamek - It was great that you came all the way out to the Midwest for the SG spectacle! It was cool getting to talk to you and thank
you for your work on the East Coast.

@Elda Taluda - Yes, it was a lopsided match in your favor (a "War Crime", more like!), but it was an HONOR to play you on the stream stage! I
never imagined I'd get the opportunity to do something like that in all my time playing this game. Definitely learned stuff after watching the VoD. Definitely a highlight of my playing videogames in general!

@Broseidon Rex - sorry I couldn't give you as long of a piggyback ride as you would've liked

@dekillsage - Thank you for picking Beowulf in WF and making it so he wasn't "that one dude who got shut out of top 16" lol

@dapurplesharpie - I'm kinda sad that I didn't get a chance to talk to you more at CB. How did it feel to not go 0-2 Boyz? Btw I didn't take
anything from your purse when you handed it off to me. Nope. Also, yes I heard you cheering my name during my match with Taluda!

@alexpi - Thanks for explaining to me in detail why MVC2 Morrigan is garbage.

@Mwisk - I'm so glad you had a great time at CB, and I wish you best of luck with the gaming convention you're organizing! It looks like the crowdfunding campaign was definitely worth it!

@Dhoppler - Man that was a reality check that you gave me in casuals.

@WhiteFury - Hey! You watched some of my matches! And thanks for helping out with the controller drop situation that happened in one of my matches

@thehadou - I know you were annoyed at us for cheering your name when we were done on the main stage. But after all the shit our community's
been through, with the SG Curse and getting shit from the larger FGC on a perpetual basis, we couldn't thank you enough for giving us a chance to show everyone what our game's about. With your treating us like we belong on the main stage, and with us showing up and providing crowds and
skills worthy of a main stage, it was big enough and hype enough that FGC Senpai is starting to notice... it's quite overwhelming and something very, very special that I'll remember for a lifetime.

Poor Morrigan. Perpetual cover art character, yet has been good in exactly 1 game.

Reactions: erkicman
She was above average in CVS2, pretty strong imo.

But yeah rip her and her one sprite ;_;

I mean, she's kinda ok in vsav, but you have to be 100% on point with c.fierce DI or you're just playing a shitty dimitri. If you're 100% on c.fierce DI, you're playing a shitty dimitri that gets a shit ton of damage off any confirm if you have meter.

OK, she's just a shitty dimitri

I'm betting everyone here is probably tired of me rambling on about the event & all the people who showed, but what I don't know is whether or not anyone here follows KPB's website. I just wanted to share my final thoughts and figured you guys deserved to get it before I take it public on the team's FB page later this week.

The Spectator's Delight/Dilemma: Part 1 & Part 2... also, if you find yourself looking around the site, I hope you enjoy whatever you choose to read.

I'm sorry but I don't remember checking any realities in casuals. If anything, I got my reality checked.

Reactions: erkicman
I mean, she's kinda ok in vsav, but you have to be 100% on point with c.fierce DI or you're just playing a shitty dimitri. If you're 100% on c.fierce DI, you're playing a shitty dimitri that gets a shit ton of damage off any confirm if you have meter.

OK, she's just a shitty dimitri

okay so see my Vampire Hunter and TvC Morrigan you don't want it

Morrigan and Demi don't play similar lol

Last edited:
Yeah, she's more like a shitty Sasquatch with a fireball.

Status
Not open for further replies.