• As part of the relaunch of Skullheart, ALL previous threads have been archived. You can find them at the bottom of the forum in the Archives (2021) section. The archives are locked, so please use the new forum sections to create new discussion threads.

USA [May 26th-28th] Combo Breaker 2017 (Chicago, IL)

NCV

Community Person
Reaction score
Steam
ncv
Painwheel Parasoul Painwheel
The time has come friends, the most wonderful time of the year.

The premier Midwest tournament returns with everything we love about it. 24 hour venue, loads of games, amazing staff, and of course it is THE Skullgirls tournament to be at.

REGISTER NOW!

GET A HOTEL ROOM!

Book your rooms, register for your games, and start preparing. See you there!

Last edited:
Reactions: gluemchen and Kai
Some cool shit that is new about this year, and I'm sure there is to be more:
  • You can pay to have your badge and lanyard shipped to you so you can skip the line
  • The winner of the ST tournament WILL WIN AN ST CABINET

Is there anyone from Minnesota going this year? I convinced my brother to make the trip but none of his buddies are willing to commit too. Travelling solo sucks

I'm definitely going to this. I WILL room with someone, however I want to be like the last guy of like eight people so I end up paying as little as possible. I don't give a shit about floor space or being "comfy" I just want somewhere to sleep.

Guys, guys!

There's like a 90% chance of me coming back to this! MAD FUCKIN' HYPE!
Aw shit aw fuck

If you can bring rare Brazilian liquor again that would be cool, I was incredibly sick the last time you were at Combo Breaker and I didn't get to try any

Reactions: GrunkleBarlowe
If you can bring rare Brazilian liquor again that would be cool, I was incredibly sick the last time you were at Combo Breaker and I didn't get to try any

Gonna try bringing a few once again, there's one that actually gets your mouth numb for a while.

Reactions: Saske and mcpeanuts
I'm not going to be traveling to the US as much as I used to, but I might make an exception for Combo Breaker. No Grodie this time though :c

Reactions: gluemchen
I'm not going to be traveling to the US as much as I used to, but I might make an exception for Combo Breaker. No Grodie this time though :c
Did she quit the game?

SORRY FOR THE DERAIL EVERYONE! Despite all that stuff, I'm still looking forward to playing a bunch of SG and doing way better than previous years. The grind starts now.

Reactions: Bigtonney and Kai
Swear to god, if mwisk brings liquor and sharpie drinks it all again before I get to try some, I'm gonna be pissed.

Reactions: Mwisk
Is there a reason why all the hotels associated with Combo Breaker say that the 27th can't be reserved? I looked at the venue hotel and the Hilton hotels and all of them told me the specified dates were unavailable (25th - 29th).

I'm not sure if I'm going to go or not, but I would like to at least like to investigate things.

Not sure what you're looking at, but I just went through the motions of booking a room at Pheasant Run for various combinations of dates and I was able to get to the payment/completion screens. Did you click through the CB website's venue link or did you look through the hotel's website?

https://combobreaker.org/venue/

Is there a reason why all the hotels associated with Combo Breaker say that the 27th can't be reserved? I looked at the venue hotel and the Hilton hotels and all of them told me the specified dates were unavailable (25th - 29th).

I'm not sure if I'm going to go or not, but I would like to at least like to investigate things.

Haven't had this issue with reserving my Combo Breaker room (Though I do need to give them a call since I never got my e-mail confirm or a booking # when I reserved yesterday) but I had this issue when I tried to book my room online for NEC and Final Round. It kept giving me that error for Sunday night. In both cases, I was able to reserve the room no problem over the phone though so I'd recommend that if you keep having issues.

KCs gonna be there of course

We really need to try and beat last year's registration numbers! That would be awesome!

I really need to go this time. I hope my vacation request doesnt get denied again :(

Swear to god, if mwisk brings liquor and sharpie drinks it all again before I get to try some, I'm gonna be pissed.

I'm gonna bring at least 3 if the airport dudes allow it. Hope it doesn't happen again this time around, I swear last time I was like "Whoa girl!"

Hey guys, I'm going to need a room, any available? Who's staying in the godlike, cottage-esque, venue rooms? I NEED THAT IN MY LIFE! CB, why so hype?

Those rooms are perfect. While everyone is sleeping upstairs, you can safely masturbate downstairs without bothering anyone.

I'd love to go, but I don't know if I'll have the money unfortunately. I'll be able to give an answer closer to the date

I really hope I don't miss this one.

Are you going through the event links at combo breaker.org/venue or going to the site's independently? Combo Breaker has reserved every single room at Pheasant Run (& our block at the Hilton). If you try to book via any service that isn't the links on our website you'll find yourself unable to book a room.

I just checked our database and rooms should still be available at both properties (although Pheasant Run is very close to being sold out).

@thehadou CB 2017 will be my first tournament in which I enter more games than just SG, so I'm looking into legality of legacy controllers. On the game rules, SFV for example (a game that I know has problems when handling legacy controllers) is explicitly stated to have legacy controllers banned, so I assumed that if nothing was mentioned in the rules then legacy controllers were fine for that game; however, I then noticed that SG explicit ALLOWS legacy controllers. The games in question for me are Blazblue Centralfiction and Guilty Gear Xrd Revelator; are legacy controllers allowed for those games at your event? (I'm also curious if there's any sort of standard ruleset regarding legacy controller support that I could expect other events to likely use, but I assume it's at the TO's discretion so of course you wouldn't be in charge of that at tournaments you don't run.)

Are you going through the event links at combo breaker.org/venue or going to the site's independently? Combo Breaker has reserved every single room at Pheasant Run (& our block at the Hilton). If you try to book via any service that isn't the links on our website you'll find yourself unable to book a room.

I just checked our database and rooms should still be available at both properties (although Pheasant Run is very close to being sold out).
I think the issues were caused by a combination of browser script settings and failing to use the website links as you described, so it's all sorted now. Thanks for the help.

You know I'm gonna make this my priority event, yeahhhhh

@thehadou CB 2017 will be my first tournament in which I enter more games than just SG, so I'm looking into legality of legacy controllers. On the game rules, SFV for example (a game that I know has problems when handling legacy controllers) is explicitly stated to have legacy controllers banned, so I assumed that if nothing was mentioned in the rules then legacy controllers were fine for that game; however, I then noticed that SG explicit ALLOWS legacy controllers. The games in question for me are Blazblue Centralfiction and Guilty Gear Xrd Revelator; are legacy controllers allowed for those games at your event? (I'm also curious if there's any sort of standard ruleset regarding legacy controller support that I could expect other events to likely use, but I assume it's at the TO's discretion so of course you wouldn't be in charge of that at tournaments you don't run.)

Hey Pickles,

CB's rule sets are defined as follows for games, "If the game natively supports the legacy controller without the use of a synced PS4 pad (like SG) then legacy controllers are legal. If the game requires an additional synced PS4 for the legacy controller to function it is banned (like SFV)."

Unfortunately Central Fiction & Revelator fall into the SFV style legacy support and will not be allowed at CB. My recommendation would be to pick up a Brook converter (super trustworthy, good products) and practice with it prior to the event. In the event that doing so is cost-prohibitive, or online orders are not appealing, I've made sure that Paradise Arcade Shop is once again bringing a lot of 360 & PS3 Brook converters to CB for sale at their booth. Last year quite a few people split the cost on a converter and shared throughout the weekend. Please note: if you go with the sharing method you are still on the hook for a working controller if you both run into each-other in the bracket and/or play in pools at the same time.

Hope that helps!

I'm registered :D! Combo Breaker is going to be my first tournament so needless to say, I'm pretty excited. I've also got a few questions.

Does anyone know when the room sharing thread will be up (if it's not up already)?

If I'm flying up, would it be best to come in Thursday? From what I remember on the CB site, pools start Friday afternoon. I could be mistaken.

What are some of the biggest difference in playing online vs playing in a tournament setting?

Sent from my SCH-I545 using Tapatalk

Reactions: FuLLBLeeD
If I'm flying up, would it be best to come in Thursday? From what I remember on the CB site, pools start Friday afternoon. I could be mistaken.
It did this year. It might next year. Best bet is Thursday, if just for hanging out with SG Peeps.
What are some of the biggest difference in playing online vs playing in a tournament setting?
There will be a different atmosphere that can make you play worse than you do at home. It's something you have to get used to. There's also no lag.

Reactions: dormoxx

Comfort level, noise level, people and movement constantly in your peripheral vision, another human next to you playing. Your first tournament you'll experience aspects of play & environment that are likely very foreign and they will either make you play worse (tournament nerves) or push you into "the zone" and cause you to play to peak ability. Most players fall into the former category before finding the latter - but I've seen exceptions to that happen.

Big advice: Drink water, remember to eat food, talk to other people around you even if you don't know them. Even if its trivial conversations about character models or questions about frame data. Doing these things will help you stay "centered" and get the most out of your experience & play. Also, by mid-day each tournament day expect some rude people who don't know any other way to process their saltiness. Don't let them bother you and just recognize it for what it is.

I generally encourage sleep as well but depending on how many people you latch on to, and who they are, you might find 4 AM gaming and food runs are a better personal investment. Most of all, have fun!

wait...I was totally playing Revelator the other day with just a PS3 stick plugged in and the Dualshock turned off completely and it worked fine. Do you need a pad synced at all times?