• As part of the relaunch of Skullheart, ALL previous threads have been archived. You can find them at the bottom of the forum in the Archives (2021) section. The archives are locked, so please use the new forum sections to create new discussion threads.

USA [May 26th-28th] Combo Breaker 2017 (Chicago, IL)

Aw, fuck me sideways, why is Saturday an unavailable date?

This is what I get for being dumb and lazy, I guess.

But then Friday is a check out only day, and your stay can't include dates that are unavailable.

I dunno, this seems kinda weird.

Quite the problem. We could either wait and see or try the hilton garden inn.

I am obviously not familiar with the area so if someone from Chicago could give some sort of insight of what's a good hotel, how much walking distance from hilton garden inn to venue, etc etc.

haha like who wants to let me pay them to sleep on a bed from thursday to monday?

What about game sounds? There have been a few tourney videos that I've seen where the players don't have headphones. I'm used to relying on the game sounds for my combos and such, so I'd like to know if I have to practice without them.

The TVs they use has a port for headphones that I've used before. You'll just need to bring one with a long wire for comfort.

General update:

SG is way ahead of where it was same date last year for early reg. As always the team won't be revealing numbers until reg is closed but representation wise you're all competing with, or beating, traditional "big dog" games right now.

I mean this in all sincerity and not as puff up hype, but if SG's entry velocity holds y'all are gonna break the 200 club.

The things I like I to hear.

Which airport are people traveling through again? I figure most go by o'hare? I like my southwest airlines but then I have to go through Chicago midway which is then an hour drive to the venue (last time wasn't so expensive via uber but I think their prices went up since then or something) I almost never use anything besides southwest, but what other airlines would people recommend for O'hare?

I think just about everything except Southwest goes through O'hare. Personally I like flying Virgin and JetBlue the most, but American or Delta are usually decent enough if it's cheaper.

And of course, there's the classic "never fly Spirit or Frontier" warning that people somehow still don't know about.

Reactions: Fosh and Mr Peck
Was also considering southwest since its cheaper from my country. Still haven't bought tickets but would you consider splitting an uber?

Reactions: FuLLBLeeD
Was also considering southwest since its cheaper from my country. Still haven't bought tickets but would you consider splitting an uber?
I will probably still go through southwest, I get so many points through them. And yes, I get there pretty early, I prefer my flights out to be asap so I'll be happy to wait until you arrive before we Uber, same with anyone else. Granted you're not getting there at like 4pm later etc, don't want to wait too long =p

Pasting this from the room sharing thread: I'd rather have a room at the venue, so if anyone's got space and doesn't mind me farting on everything, hit me up?

What day are you getting in? Im considering Wednesday since more time and sometimes it comes out cheaper.

.......... Wow, I haven't booked a flight yet.

Planning to come in on Thursday.

I'll get there on thursday most likely, maybe Wednesday depending on certain other parties (Not Sonic)

Hey guys, so while I may not coming to CB this year (I promise to come next year and skip fanime for once) letting you guys know that I am raising money for NCR on Teespring to add to the pot for the Skullgirls tourny here in norcal. In the situation where Skullgirls may not happen (they need at least 16 players to enter for it to be happening at NCR) any amount of money that was made via the Teesrping shirts for NCR will go straight to Combo Breaker. Shirts will stop going on sale a week before NCR. :)

When are commentary and side events gonna be hammered out?

What's the rules about spectators? As in people who want to go to Combobreaker, but just want to watch? What's their fee?

What's the rules about spectators? As in people who want to go to Combobreaker, but just want to watch? What's their fee?
Pretty sure it was free last year. Might be the same this year.

Reactions: MegaMix
Took my week off work today are you EXCITED?!

TIME OFF CONFIRMED, WE'RE IN THAT ASS.

Combo Breaker is confirmed to have free spectator passes again this year, so says their FAQ on the site.

That's cool that they are free. Are there any rules about spectators? Like are they able to play casuals with other people or can they only spectate? If I brought a guest as a spectator and they bring a PS4 controller and play some casuals in Skullgirls, will the Gaming Generations Secret Police (GGSP) take us away?

That's cool that they are free. Are there any rules about spectators? Like are they able to play casuals with other people or can they only spectate? If I brought a guest as a spectator and they bring a PS4 controller and play some casuals in Skullgirls, will the Gaming Generations Secret Police (GGSP) take us away?

It would probably be nice for you friend to buy a pass anyway. These events take a lot of time and money to run, it's a good show of appreciation. You'd have to buy a badge for any other convention type deal anyway.

Read

https://combobreaker.org/faq/

I read that and the only thing I see similar to what I'm asking is this.

"ARE SPECTATORS ALLOWED AT COMBO BREAKER?
Spectators are allowed and encouraged. Gaming Generations is generously offering FREE spectator badges this year so bring a friend, bring your significant other, bring your boss, or bring your entire extended family so grandma can see you take on all challengers."

It says they can spectate sure, but doesn't say whether or not they can actually play casual games.

It would probably be nice for you friend to buy a pass anyway. These events take a lot of time and money to run, it's a good show of appreciation. You'd have to buy a badge for any other convention type deal anyway.
I encouraged him to sign up for a tournament, but he said he isn't willing to spend the $60.

I read that and the only thing I see similar to what I'm asking is this.

"ARE SPECTATORS ALLOWED AT COMBO BREAKER?
Spectators are allowed and encouraged. Gaming Generations is generously offering FREE spectator badges this year so bring a friend, bring your significant other, bring your boss, or bring your entire extended family so grandma can see you take on all challengers."

It says they can spectate sure, but doesn't say whether or not they can actually play casual games.

I encouraged him to sign up for a tournament, but he said he isn't willing to spend the $60.

Spectators can, and are encouraged to, play casuals games in the arcade room. This is how fans turn into tournament players in my opinion. We do ask that they refrain from playing on tournament consoles.

If your friend has a good time please encourage him to purchase a Combo Breaker shirt or hat at the event. All proceeds from merchandise go toward paying for staff and equipment and have a smaller up-front consumer cost than a full event badge.

If your friends don't have interest in, or funds for, event support the only fee I ask from spectators is that they cheer extra loud during Top 8.

Spectators can, and are encouraged to, play casuals games in the arcade room. This is how fans turn into tournament players in my opinion. We do ask that they refrain from playing on tournament consoles.

If your friend has a good time please encourage him to purchase a Combo Breaker shirt or hat at the event. All proceeds from merchandise go toward paying for staff and equipment and have a smaller up-front consumer cost than a full event badge.

If your friends don't have interest in, or funds for, event support the only fee I ask from spectators is that they cheer extra loud during Top 8.
Thanks.

oh yeah, i should probably confirm that I've got the time off for this. Stupid company is doing a restructuring and I'm not sure if the right people still know that I wanted this time off.

Autumn Games isn't fooling around this April Fools Day and left Combo Breaker with a nice something for the community!

C8V3l3lVYAEucUn.jpg

Last edited: