• As part of the relaunch of Skullheart, ALL previous threads have been archived. You can find them at the bottom of the forum in the Archives (2021) section. The archives are locked, so please use the new forum sections to create new discussion threads.

USA [May 27-29] Combo Breaker 2016 (Chicago, IL)

I'm just asking because now that introduces another mind game that can be utilized. Just wanted to make sure I could use it.

Josh getting real fucking psychological 'bout this shit. @__@

Yes. That's gonna be allowed no matter the decision on whether winners can do it or not.
Um, actually, it's up to @thehadou to make the rule, so we don't know it'll be allowed anywhere yet. If he says "nowhere", then even first game is not allowed.

My mistake. I thought this debate was only about the winners doing it.

Sent from my SM-G920P using Tapatalk

dd34e1ef38.png
I see your true feelings Cloud.
Let it out.
I need to move or I will go insane

Reactions: dekillsage
The idea of people trying to make reads during the load screen before the fight is intriguing but probably very fucky in execution.

The fairest proposals are the following:
Always allow load screen team switching, by either player. Whatever team you end up with after the loading screen is yours regardless of matchup status. The load screen is effectively a double-blind simultaneous play in which both players have the option to switch team order. I technically have no problem with this, and Skullgirls would likely be the first vsalike* that can get serious mileage out of this sort of mixup since the overwhelming majority of the cast is viable in any team position. It's just a little weird. I'd love to see it tried, though, before I shoot it down. The golden rule of this: The winner HAS to pick Play Again (or in the case of a menu fuckup the winner HAS to pick an identical team to the one they just used) and the ONLY way the winner can change team settings is through load screen switching.

Never allow load screen team switching, by either player. This is cleaner and most closely resembles the rules of other games. It capitalizes on the concept of rounds being the classic comeback mechanic in a major way, and gives a sizeable advantage to the player who last lost a game. It's tried and true, it's certainly not broken, and there aren't any arguments to its current use. Is it worth fixing something that isn't broken? It would be out of character for me to discourage experimenting with the above "Always" proposal at least once for the experience.

So, I'm in favor of Always, at least this once. If we don't do it at Combo Breaker, I'll do it at my next tournament, hopefully before CEOtaku. If Always works, then I think there is potential for really cool and interesting things to come from it.

We've (to my knowledge) always allowed loading screen switches at the Kansas City tournies. Given, I think I'm the only one to actively use it, but there haven't been any complaints.

Always allow load screen team switching, by either player.
The winner HAS to pick Play Again (or in the case of a menu fuckup the winner HAS to pick an identical team to the one they just used) and the ONLY way the winner can change team settings is through load screen switching.

I get the impression a good portion of us are in this boat.

If your massive counterpick gambit is defeated by tagging out, you might want to run back to the drawing board.

There's a thing called "matchups" and also tagging is punishable.

Last edited by a moderator:
Offtopic
If your massive counterpick gambit is defeated by tagging out, you might want to run back to the drawing board.
You know this is true for a lot of counterpicks in MvC2, right? Because order really REALLY matters.
You shouldn't be so super snarky.

The obvious solution here is just to do what I do and never play in the first place.

Man I know you only exist to be annoying, but come on. Snapping involves hitting them, and the counterpicks are strong enough that that may not even happen.
No, I'm sure he entirely knows what he's talking about. Snaps are totally easy and free to do in Marvel 2, which is why Fanatiq has never placed top 64 ever given that his team is literally crippled by snapping. Same thing for snaps in Marvel 3, which is why no Phoenix players have ever won Evo.

So another thing I've noticed is that some stages make it very hard to see some of the color pallets. I'm not saying that we should just play school notes but for instance on the church level (forgot the name RIP me) it's very difficult to see default Fukua on it. I don't know if anyone else feels this way but when I play I'm going to request school notes just for the sake of visibility. Does anyone else have a preference?

I play red and white palettes. Anyone take my colors, I'll where red and black. The I'll take your soul.

Man I know you only exist to be annoying, but come on. Snapping involves hitting them, and the counterpicks are strong enough that that may not even happen.
Are we still talking about skullgirls? What matchups are that bad? Peacock v. Beo? Painwheel vs someone?

Last edited:
Are we still talking about skullgirls? What matchups are that bad? Peacock v. Beo? Painwheel vs someone?
Yes we're still talking about the game where just about any character can put you in the blender and your character won't play anymore. The very same game where the character with the favorable match up is the one that's likely to do it first. The one where the character with an unfavorable match up is likely to not have an answer once put in said blender.

I have to be honest, when switching on the loading screen was first brought up I was expecting the two sides of the debate to be "it makes counterpicks worse and I think this is good" and "it makes counterpicks worse and I think this is bad". This wacky third opinion of "team starting order makes little to no difference to a matchup" kinda came out of nowhere to me.

Can we go back to arguing about what TRULY matters?

Why some of you idiots, for some reason, can't appreciate pineapples on pizza?