• As part of the relaunch of Skullheart, ALL previous threads have been archived. You can find them at the bottom of the forum in the Archives (2021) section. The archives are locked, so please use the new forum sections to create new discussion threads.

USA [May 27-29] Combo Breaker 2016 (Chicago, IL)

What are the food options near the venue? What's in walking distance?

Anyone wanna fight me in Jojo? Old school Jojo?

Someone MM me in a FT5. u won't. No balls. Looser changes their name.

Culver's across the street. Portillo's is a 7-10 minute walk. Additional food options within a mile. 5 restaurants on site. Giordano's delivers (Say Combo Breaker for a discount) always available.

Can we do some Battletoads races?

not that I don't believe that a heritage to the future tournament is veritable but what would the game be run on? The game got taken off psn/xbl.

DC, Obviously. I mean, what other option is there?

Edit: I have figured out that I can reliably freeze the game with Hol Horse's S. THE ONE WHO STOPPED TIME WAS ME, HOL HORSE!

Last edited:
As of today, my flights are booked, my hotel room is reserved, and my registration...is forthcoming. But anyway, I'm pretty much confirmed to come and die at this.

Reactions: akindhobo
Buying plane tickets end of month.

I'm leaning towards renting a car and driving. KCI sucks. well, assuming i get the time off.

Ok, so there are some things happening with Combo Breaker commentary (positive things) that mean we need to lock in commentary. If you see something you feel should be reasonably changed, or you see your own name and don't want it there, just say so. For pools, the alternates will be switching in when that group feels is appropriate (halfway through, for example).

commentary.png

Last edited:
Reactions: ninja-nutria
Looks fine to me. One question, what's the lineup for SNS? I think the 10v10 is supposed to be part of it; if that's the case, Taluda and I will be in that, so we would need to take that into consideration as well.

I can live with this.

In before we're all in these exact pools

Reactions: Broken Loose
My request is that, while Dhoppler is a cool dude and I like him, I don't get stuck with JUST him as my partner (even if that means I have less mic time). Maybe switch him with Dolfinh for Pools 1 and 2?

Also, for EC vs. The World, I was led to believe that we were gonna have an even split between EC bias and World bias commentators.

edit:
Looks fine to me. One question, what's the lineup for SNS? I think the 10v10 is supposed to be part of it; if that's the case, Taluda and I will be in that, so we would need to take that into consideration as well.
Derp, this happened while I was typing my post

10v10 might need to just be a different set of dudes altogether. Is there another thing happening during SNS besides the 10v10? If so, we can do the initial plan where I talk during 10v10 vs a The World dude, then I'm off to go get high and fight in like 3 money matches. OR we can split up the 10v10 into 2 EC and 2 The World commentators, which seems like a decent split of airtime.

I was under the impression the 10v10 was going to be in the "team tourney" lineup on Friday, but I haven't actually heard from anyone official where it's being placed in the schedule yet.

Commentating with Dolfy/Data/Peanuts all looks good to me.

Maybe switch him with Dolfinh for Pools 1 and 2?

You can't take him from me, BL, he's mine. ((but if Dolfy's cool with switching I wouldn't mind commentating with Dhoppler too))

My request is that, while Dhoppler is a cool dude and I like him, I don't get stuck with JUST him as my partner (even if that means I have less mic time). Maybe switch him with Dolfinh for Pools 1 and 2?
Absolutely. Let me take a look and work it out.
The 10v10 is not on SNS. This was the case, like, all the way back to last year, when it was brought up as a possibility, and subsequently did not materialize. Pat felt very strongly about the creative control of the event, so we simply said oh well, no hard feelings.

At this time, the 10v10 is leaning towards being on Friday (pre-tourney, where many of us, including Pat, think it might fit better), and the possibility of it being streamed is being worked on by all the relevant parties (Pat, Rick, etc).

Reactions: Broken Loose
Wouldn't mind commentating more, but this lineup is fine with me. Don't really have any qualms about commentating with anyone.

Here's the new look. To accommodate getting Broken Loose some different partners, I switched Pools 2 around a bit. I didn't want to move @Dolfinh from Pools 1 because he has good synergy with Fosh and Peanuts (though you can let me know if you do want that switch, Dolfinh).

commentary2.png

Reactions: Datagram
Thank you for your efforts. :^)

I find it funny that the average age of commentators A and B steadily rise as you get later in the tournament.

Thank you for your efforts. :^)

I find it funny that the average age of commentators A and B steadily rise as you get later in the tournament.
Hey at least I can BUY ALCOHOL unlike A CERTAIN OTHER COMMENTATOR that I'm paired with

Reactions: dapurplesharpie
RE: SNS and 10 v 10 events

We'll be making some announcements about both of these things in the coming weeks. They are being treated as separate entities (which means more SG for everyone). If you enjoyed last year (or even if you didn't), expect everything to be bigger and better this time around.

Reactions: Dhoppler and Fosh
RE: SNS and 10 v 10 events

We'll be making some announcements about both of these things in the coming weeks. They are being treated as separate entities (which means more SG for everyone). If you enjoyed last year (or even if you didn't), expect everything to be bigger and better this time around.
Deadass I am pretty sure this is the only post I've seen by you that didn't mention alcohol at all

I think if we averaged the age of all the casters, we'd end up with someone old enough to remember the Ptolemy dynasty. Then again, mcpeanuts kinda fucks with the mean age.

Reactions: Broseidon Rex
Here's the new look.
Want to see some demonstrated good ish from Kai before I will approve of him for top 8, otherwise is fine with me. :^P

Also real question:
I thought having COMMENTARY on the house mic last year was actually really not great.
The house-mic thing I've liked the most from anything was Evo that one year (vanilla Marvel 3?) having commentary on stream and some random screaming dude, I think it was Tragic, on house mic. Before there was stream commentary, house mic was random screaming people "We got a real match WE GOT A REAL MATCH!" etc. The audience wants hype, the stream wants analysis. House mic does not need analysis, those people play the damn game.
If it's possible to do that instead, I would totally nominate Kai for house mic in that setup.

Ptolemy dynasty
Ptolemaic.
Kids these days...

YES PLEASE DO THAT.
I haaaaated listening to commentary at EVO/CB, but loved hearing the crowd and going crazy when I was in the crowd.

Reactions: TheCrankMachine
I am happy to commentate pools, and believe top 16 is the highest I should go on the commentary ladder. So basically I'm fine with the revision.

I'm not a fan of it, but I think Combo Breaker generally got good feedback on stream commentary being piped into the crowd so I wouldn't be surprised if it's a similar set up in 2016. Probably best to ask @thehadou if specific house mic commentary is possible.

Hey everybody,

We had extremely positive feedback from most corners over having in-house commentary. I'm also a fan of it. While I know there are dissenters, the positive feedback & my preference weighing in means you'll likely hear it again.

However, I am not against having a God mic at each stage that isn't attached to the stream. Some noise pollution concerns with that but its a potential middle ground.

Definetly loved the crowd drowning out the commentary to some extent. It brought up the hype to a different level. While i do like commentary going in on the players traits and habbits and calling them out, aswell as going into some detail about team synergy and the individual character strengths. I do think CB leaving the gates open for the hype flood was amazing though, even if unintentional. I say keep it being a thing.

I loved it when the crowd was audible in the back of the stream. Hell, I'd point a shotgun mic at the crowd, if I could. I feel like it would be dope if it were something like a football game, with more crowd noise in the mix. Commentary, crowd noise, game noise, all together, that's the sound of home viewers getting hype.