• As part of the relaunch of Skullheart, ALL previous threads have been archived. You can find them at the bottom of the forum in the Archives (2021) section. The archives are locked, so please use the new forum sections to create new discussion threads.

Mighty No. 9

CALL H GOT THIRD PLACE. I KNEW MY VOTE MATTERED!

Edit: Call E got only 2nd place. #Kappa

....And Call F won.

These are the 3 I liked best though, so I can't complain.

FUCK

Ah well, let's hope for alternate costumes.

Call E got only 2nd place.

YEARS OF PLANNING AND MILLIONS OF DOLLARS RUINED!

Still can win in the finals. LET'S GO E. SPREAD THE WORD, PEOPLE.

I'm sad.
Call F is probably going to win just because she looks like roll...
This is pretty much the exact reason that I would never do the whole "ask the fans" thing when designing a game.

FUCK

Ah well, let's hope for alternate costumes.
They talked about alt costumes on the stream.
Also, there's another vote for the top 3. E kind of has a chance since she's gonna pull in all the votes from people who don't want call to be roll.

Reactions: Clawsome Bombs
I'm sad.
This is pretty much the exact reason that I would never do the whole "ask the fans" thing when designing a game.

[. . .]
Also, there's another vote for the top 3. E kind of has a chance since she's gonna pull in all the votes from people who don't want call to be roll.

To be fair, I don't really get this, and alot of people say it.

Beck is a spiritual successor to Megaman, giving Inafune the ability to essentially reclaim his character. What's "wrong" with Roll getting her own spiritual successor? It seems like a weird dichotomy to me. I prefer E to F, but F's a great one too, and alot of people throw her out out-of-hand for being too much like... the character she's supposed to be reclaiming from Capcom.

I'm happy if either wins, though I'd prefer E, but I just wonder why people are bothered if Call potentially does the exact same thing Beck is doing. I mean, that's sorta the point.

It's a strange twisted world, isn't it? I wanted E mostly for that SWEET headset. I never thought Call shouldn't look like Roll at all, but some do. Such foolishness. Just a flimsy argument to put F down and it kinda makes me sad....but not enough to change my vote. Though come on, non Call F fans, don't do that to that design.

Now, all the other letters that fell in the first battle, join Call-E's Eternal Energy E-Force and get Best Call in Mighty No. 9!

Ah, reminds me of The Character Wars......*happy reminiscing*

A final message to Capcom from Inafune.
dc67db9d4579f415a1a15aaa2139279a.jpg

Also, Megaman shed tears.

df185c471315f1d5b9f5edf2a9245bd5.jpg

To be fair, I don't really get this, and alot of people say it.

Beck is a spiritual successor to Megaman, giving Inafune the ability to essentially reclaim his character. What's "wrong" with Roll getting her own spiritual successor? It seems like a weird dichotomy to me. I prefer E to F, but F's a great one too, and alot of people throw her out out-of-hand for being too much like... the character she's supposed to be reclaiming from Capcom.

I'm happy if either wins, though I'd prefer E, but I just wonder why people are bothered if Call potentially does the exact same thing Beck is doing. I mean, that's sorta the point.
You don't understand.
It's not that call can't look like roll (although I would actually like it if there was way, way, way less duality than there currently is between Mighty no. 9 and Megaman, but that's way too late) it's that call F is getting votes specifically because she looks more like roll than the rest of them, and not because she's actually the best design.
It's because these polls aren't a test of quality, it's popularity. The polls aren't really looking to make the game the best it can be, the polls are just trying to make out of context concessions to popularity. Every time they're brought into the equation, they keep the developers from taking the risks that make good games great.

CALL H GOT THIRD PLACE. I KNEW MY VOTE MATTERED!

Edit: Call E got only 2nd place. #Kappa

....And Call F won.

These are the 3 I liked best though, so I can't complain.

If only more people respected that astro boy look :(

I'm sure nobody was surprised at Call F winning, not a bad design at all, just a shame none of the others from the original concept were even up for vote.

The best girl already won though
Mighty No.3

You know there's going to be another vote, right?

WHY MUST THE CHARACTER I WANT ALWAYS BE DOOMED TO SECOND

I know that feel, bro.

Reactions: DDB
If I recall they said for colors on the forum.
Those three designs will be colored and refined for another round of backer-only voting on our (by then) new Mighty No. 9 official forums, due to go up sometime in late October or early November!

Reactions: Sanger Zonvolt
Yeah, come on now. That wasn't the end all, be all vote. We still have the second round, which is picking from those three. From that, they vote for what color scheme they want to give her. There is still a chance for my [E]lite!

116 dollars on it to get the box and pendrive...

f**k, it's a full month of decent meals!

Inafune, all my hopes and dreams awe with you now... don't disappoint me

So lets talk about the game now!

I think Mighty No. 3 is the best boss so far. Love the design. I'm also a fan of Mighty No. 1 with his Zippo look.

Mighty No. 4, man. Mighty No. 4.

Mighty No.7 still needs a full reveal even though we kind of know what he looks like.

I'm sad.
Gotta agree.
We could have had something mostly new or at least a subtle homage but no, the masses demand "not Roll". *iaintevenmad.jpg*
But still, the "ask the fans" thing is a necessary evil for crowdfunded projects, make people feel they hold some degree of power over the final product.

Unfortunately, it's a little too late for me to peacefully persuade folks into supporting E (or B. Y U NO LIKE B?!) as I did during Waifupocalypse '13. Sadly not everything is within grasp of the Overseers of History.

As for the Mighties, Girl Raijin Man and Mexican Daisuke Man are my favorites.

Btw, the villain still hasn't been confirmed, right? in b4 people vote for "not Dr Wily" -_-"

Btw, the villain still hasn't been confirmed, right? in b4 people vote for "not Dr Wily" -_-"

Call D for main villain pls.

Reactions: Balder
Gotta agree.
We could have had something mostly new or at least a subtle homage but no, the masses demand "not Roll". *iaintevenmad.jpg*
But still, the "ask the fans" thing is a necessary evil for crowdfunded projects, make people feel they hold some degree of power over the final product.

Unfortunately, it's a little too late for me to peacefully persuade folks into supporting E (or B. Y U NO LIKE B?!) as I did during Waifupocalypse '13. Sadly not everything is within grasp of the Overseers of History.

As for the Mighties, Girl Raijin Man and Mexican Daisuke Man are my favorites.

See the reason I voted Call E is because she actually looks like a tele-communications robot, a very apt job for someone named CALL.

I too voted for E, because she had some of the elements of Call F that I liked without, you know, just being not-Roll. Also, I liked that one expression where she had more robotic eyes.

I liked B's hair lights though. Those were cool.

See the reason I voted Call E is because...
...she got junk in her trunk. :3

(I was gonna go for a "Fixed quote" thingie on how dressing like a working girl is a very apt job for a girl named Call but the imperatives of decency...called.)

Man, it's definitely gonna be the Waifu Wars take 2
Nah, after what we went through this is Waifu Skirmish at best.

Reactions: Clawsome Bombs
Waifu Tea Party
Super Waifu Sisters: Tiddlywinks
The Waifu Countdown

Reactions: Φ
Unfortunately, it's a little too late for me to peacefully persuade folks into supporting E (or B. Y U NO LIKE B?!)

B was cute, especially the hair cheering, but she seemed too much on the "support" end to me. I wanted a character who could hold her own in the co-op stages since Call is supposed to be able to fight too. Call-B looked like she'd be weighed down by the hair tech. ^^;

I had the opposite problem with Call-C, she looked totally combat-optimized, but didn't really suit the support end where Call was meant to be a lab assistant at all. I couldn't exactly imagine that she was built to work in a lab with a pony and hydraulic tread feet. I actually hope they reuse Call-C as a boss design later. She'd be an awesome one.

Basically, I favored E/F/G because I think they were the best middle ground between "I can fight like a cool partner when you control me" and "I was originally made to be a lab assistant who can also provide support to Beck." Sad G wasn't more popular, the multiple arms was cool.

I actually ended up voting for Call C. I also think the accessories were better suited for a boss, but I felt the core design incorporated most of the elements I liked from A, E, & F while still giving her a robotic look (as in, the body design, not the expression). It's too bad I won't get to see her next iteration, but I trust these guys will do the character justice with whatever design gets picked.

On that note, the Call designs are still early, so they'll probably make a lot of tweaks for the second vote. I'm thinking F won't look quite as much like Roll on the next pass, but we'll see.

I guess call H was too classic for today's hip kids :(

Third place is still great! You never know where fans of the other designs are going to redistribute their votes.

I'm happy, I wanted F,H or I to win so i'm good ^^

Waifu Tea Party
Super Waifu Sisters: Tiddlywinks
The Waifu Countdown
I just put 'Electric Boogaloo' after things. I'm not the most creatively-inclined person.... (.__.)

B was cute, especially the hair cheering, but she seemed too much on the "support" end to me. I wanted a character who could hold her own in the co-op stages since Call is supposed to be able to fight too.
If they want to go for a Arale homage, she could be a melee character. In fact, it would be a amusing subversion to see the navigator beating seven sheets of metal out of everything.