• As part of the relaunch of Skullheart, ALL previous threads have been archived. You can find them at the bottom of the forum in the Archives (2021) section. The archives are locked, so please use the new forum sections to create new discussion threads.

Mighty No. 9

but will it have Beck defending President Lincoln
...wait, seriously?

If what you're saying is true, I will give the cartoon a chance, at the very least.

Also, if that cartoon becomes a thing, there will no longer be any excuse for them to not reference the single greatest scene from the original Mega Man Cartoon:

Also, if that cartoon becomes a thing, there will no longer be any excuse for them to not reference the single greatest scene from the original Mega Man Cartoon:
And this is why Pharaoh Man is and will always be the best robot master.

Last edited:
I've never played a single Mega Man game in my entire life,much less know anything about the series.But,I am,however willing to give Mighty No.9 a shot.Who knows?I might have a total blast with the game!Well,once I have the money to get it...

Saw the latest update and I liked the aesthetic touch for when he switches between the pilfered abilities, I'm pretty happy with the way things are going and call me goofy, or weird (just don't call me Shirley) but I liked the cartoon trailer's tone.

surely you can't be serious!?

(it did look like schlock though...)

Meh, I dunno, it looked like a funny take on "the chosen one begins the fight to save us all", only the narrator was disappointed at the choice of hero. It was a bit cute, but I want to see more before I decide to write off the whole thing. Maybe I'm easy to please, but I didn't see anything horrendous.

no no, I wouldn't say it was horrendous.
Shockdingo I'm hoping you'll understand my analogy
It's like when somebody makes a bad knockoff of a Melvana-In-Chains or The_None character. I get the same feeling.

My main problem with the trailer is that we've seen the subversion of the "ideal chosen one" trope so many times in other shows, movies, games, etc. The subversion itself feels like a cliche.

http://tvtropes.org/pmwiki/pmwiki.php/Main/TheChosenZero

Even as a joke, the Chosen Zero has been used so many times already, and the trailer did nothing with the trope that hasn't been done before, so it just wasn't funny.

Mighty No. 9 - Gameplay Footage - July 2014

A new trailer for Mighty No. 9 demonstrates some of BecK’s transformations in the game, among other in-game footage.

Finally some Call gameplay and her crawling animation is cute.​

Oh man that stage theme is solid

Dammit Call-E would have been so fucking cool but whatever

Reactions: Ronus and DDB
How can a game look so completely

alright.

Like, I'm not blown away, but it's okay.

Also Call F is dum

Interview with Matsumae-san Part 2

Comcept have released an update on Mighty No. 9, this time featuring an interview with Manami Matsumae, who is contributing the game’s soundtrack.

Matsumae says that the music for the Mighty No. 2 stage in particular came to her almost immediately. “They showed me the documentation, and when I got home, it flowed out of me like water,” she shared. You can listen to it here. Matsumae says it may be her favourite song in the game.

Manami Matsumae contributed to games such as Mega Man, Shovel Knight and the Derby Stallion series .

They definitely need to polish up how they make it looks, I like the 2.5D but it seems to plastic currently. I'd also prefer his arms to be more solid. During his run animation it looks like his arms are wacky inflatable tube mans flapping around.

How can a game look so completely

alright.

Like, I'm not blown away, but it's okay.

This is pretty much the case with all original MM series. Solid little platformers, but lacking the depth, replayability, and pace of an arcade style game like Contra/Metal Slug, or the unique movement mechanics of the X/Zero series.

I'm more looking forward to Azure Striker Gunvolt, though I still have an open mind that this might end up enthralling me (the scoring/combo system might add some considerable depth if the level design is well executed, like most platformers and 2d games, level design and fine tuning is probably what's going to make or break this).

They definitely need to polish up how they make it looks, I like the 2.5D but it seems to plastic currently. I'd also prefer his arms to be more solid. During his run animation it looks like his arms are wacky inflatable tube mans flapping around.

Isn't the game, like, not even in Alpha yet?

So I totally avoided this thread after the controversies with this game, but I backed it, and got access to the beta. It only has Mighty No. 5's stage, and is pretty fun (but pretty hard).

Here's me playing it at like 6 in the morning - so my gaming skills aren't perfect yeah that's it it was too early

Isn't the game, like, not even in Alpha yet?

I'm not bashing the game, hell I backed at the hard cover artbook tier, just sharing points that I hope they improve upon to make the game even more legit. With how it's going it could look smoother than the new Strider game.

Hmm, was this only for the kickstarter backers? I backed through paypal and didn't get a heads up about this. Thanks for the vid, looks pretty nice!

Yup. I backed up to the beta, digital only however - cause shipping to Canada is stupid expensive for Kickstarters. $30 extra usually.

I was a $100 backer for Mighty No. 9 and also have gotten the beta. Although it currently only has one stage, I must so far I am very impressed at how the game controls and feels. The dashing mechanic seemed somewhat odd to me when I first saw, but using it is actually quite fun as you can gain power ups and makes approaching enemies more interesting as you need to make sure you damage them enough to absorb them. With the powers you can get such as a speed up or piercing shot, it would certainly make for a great game to speed run.

Here are my impressions of Mighty No. 5's stage or the beta so far (I am usually not that good at explaining, so sorry if it doesn't make that much sense. Also sorry about it being quite long as well.).
Although I would say his stage feels basic at the moment it is enjoyable as it'll have you make good use of your dash to avoid traps and reach certain areas. In terms of gimmicks it has explosive barrels and mines, boxes, and conveyor belts. These are eventually added together throughout the stage which is a good way to make it progressively hardly.

Perhaps my favorite section in it is the one before the boss which has you cross chasms of conveyor belts and spikes, in which falling boxes can block you and the safe platforms are guarded by enemies and also sometimes mines. This level design makes you think on your feet as you have to react to all the obstacles in your way in order to pass it because if you don't you won't survive.

There is a good variety of enemies in this stage. Their placement is overall done well, in which I enjoy it when the shield enemies defend the others behind them, or when you need to watch where robots are so that you don't end up hitting barrels that can hurt you. Most of the enemies do also have attacks that target you such as big robots that swipe at you or the flying robots that fire rockets at you, so their aggressive does require you to approach them carefully, although there are still some enemies such a turrets that fire in predetermined rates.

I can't exactly say how many enemies No. 5 has to his own stage, so hopefully as more stages are added to the beta there will be a decent amount of variety because unique enemies can certainly add to the level design of each stage when challenges can be based off of them as well.

The boss fight with Mighty No. 5 (AKA Battalion) is a step up from your standard Megaman boss. He has a decent amount of attacks at his disposal that he can use. This includes firing gatling gun bullets at various angles, leg rockets that follow you upwards, various jumping patterns, and a deadly one hit kill bomb shoot that can stick to a wall in which he can activate later to cause a massive explosion. His actions are pretty varied, so you need to watch what he is doing in order to beat him as each time you fight him the fight can play out differently.

An interesting mechanic to the bosses is that you can only damage them to a certain point until they must be stricken with a dash attack in order to damage them or else they will regain their hp. It is a pretty good way to add the dash mechanic to the boss fights I must say, in which at the end Beck will finish them off with a fancy looking absorption attack.

That however leads me to something that I think is very interesting. When you defeat Battalion, he does not explode or anything, but rather it appears you might have have cured him from the virus. I would say this as in the Beta, you can see Mighty No. 2 roaming around in it. At first I was extremely confused as why she was there, but then I realized that she was actually helping you throughout the stage by freezing some enemies and such. This could mean as you save the other Mighty Numbers, they will start aiding you in other stages of the game. This really excites me as it helps to add more personality to their characters and to the game.

At first I was somewhat worried with how the game would turn out, but as it is now, I really loved what Mighty No. 9 has to offer so far. All I hope is that there is will be enough variety to keep the whole game feeling fresh when it is finished.

Also here is a trailer from PAX that showed off transformations, new stages, and footage of three of the Mighty No.'s we have not seen before in motion.

Got the beta too. Took me a while to get used to his weird run animation. The whole screen feels like it's bobbing along with each of his steps.

One thing that really bugs me is the controller calibration screen. It's tap button to assign, which is great, but the implementation is really bizarre and confusing. I'm even having trouble explaining it in this post it's so confusing.

So before you play the game it gives you a controller layout screen. This can only be accessed by actually starting the beta level or going into the Tips menu and cycling through a mini tutorial on how the game works:

2014-09-03_00001.jpg

Then in the options menu you can calibrate the controller. It gives you this picture of a generic 360 controller:

2014-09-03_00004.jpg

It then highlights each button on the diagram and you tap the corresponding button on your pad. This is a fine and beautifully simple system if you're playing on a standard controller with a standard button layout. However, what if I don't like the default layout?

For example, if I wanted to swap Jump and Shoot on my pad. In order to change the buttons I now have to memorize the actual layout and then when it tells me to tap A on the diagram (the position I memorized Jump to be in defaults) I have to tap X, when it tells me to tap X I have to tap A. Or even worse, what if you're like me and you want to play on an arcade stick? Every button will likely be swapped around, so I have to totally memorize the original default layout (which is several screens away) and mentally remap it.

This whole issue would have been circumvented by just by having a list of actions Beck can do. "Tap Jump now. Tap Shoot now. Tap Dash now"

I'm really hoping this is just a temp screen because of localization not being finished or something because it's really awful.

Also on the note of controls... what the hell is up with default keyboard controls? ASDF to move. Spacebar to jump. Left Click and Right Click to shoot and dash. Whyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyy?!

EDIT: I should also mention that I really love the game so far, despite very very awkward controller options.

You can watch my video for my opinion on it, won't transcribe it here, but really the only negative I have is that there are almost zero health power ups mid-stage.

Lost health is gone, unless you find your partner robot dude who's totally not Eddie or die.

Mega Man games are balanced by allowing you to get health back if you do make a mistake by killing enemies or exploring - here, you mess up, you live with the consequences. This would be fine except this game still uses the archaic lives system that should have stayed in arcades as a means to eat your quarters.

Take a note from Shovel Knight - get rid of lives but still punish the player by dying. Bringing them back to the start of the stage is just infuriating.

Other than that the game is FREAKING FUN

You can watch my video for my opinion on it, won't transcribe it here, but really the only negative I have is that there are almost zero health power ups mid-stage.

Lost health is gone, unless you find your partner robot dude who's totally not Eddie or die.

Mega Man games are balanced by allowing you to get health back if you do make a mistake by killing enemies or exploring - here, you mess up, you live with the consequences. This would be fine except this game still uses the archaic lives system that should have stayed in arcades as a means to eat your quarters.

Take a note from Shovel Knight - get rid of lives but still punish the player by dying. Bringing them back to the start of the stage is just infuriating.

Other than that the game is FREAKING FUN

Correct me if I'm wrong, but I heard somewhere that you regain health if you dash into enemies after shooting them and turning them blue.

Correct me if I'm wrong, but I heard somewhere that you regain health if you dash into enemies after shooting them and turning them blue.
This is correct in a sense. Enemies either turn blue, red, or green when you shoot them which corresponds to different power ups. When you dash into 10 blue enemies, you'll be able to press a button that allows you to heal any time you want, however currently you can only access it through the pause menu.

I personally disagree with taking out lives entirely. I know Shovel Knight got a lot of praise for it as for many it took away the frustration of playing through the levels over again, but likewise it took away for many a form of punishment that was justified to their failure or either this concept they enjoyed.

Restarting is not something everyone likes as I do, but despite lacking it (in a sense), I was still able to have a great time with that fantastic game. I won't deny however that I still felt as if some form of tension was lost for me due to having infinite retries (There is much more to the Shovel Knight system with its checkpoint breaking and money, but I don't want to derail the thread too much).

In this sense, I would personally prefer there to be a option to have the lives either on or off, perhaps having lives be a 'classic mode' in which those who beat it earn an achievement or something. This way people who want to challenge themselves further or beat it in the 'classic way' can have that, but then people who completely dislike having that as it could waste a lot of time or for other reasons could go through the game without it.

I am not sure what punishment could really exist in this game though as it does not have money like Shovel Knight. I would just assume dying would damage your score severely, though it is unknown (I think) if the rating system will be for anything more than just bragging rights and the probable achievement.

Last edited:
Reactions: Squire Grooktook
MN9-Inafune-Aizu-Battle-Race.jpg

Comcept has shared footage of Mighty No. 9‘s “Online Race Battle” mode.

The clip shows Comcept boss Keiji Inafune in a race against Inti Creates’ Takuya Aizu, competing for score cruxes. Who will win?

Mighty No. 9 : Online Race Battle mode test

Oh, Keiji. You troll you.

Finally sat down and actually cleared the level. Damn that's a fun game.

The way its designed is so perfect for speed runs. Even just going through the level normally the dash mechanic makes me want to go faster and faster. Once I realized you can multidash in the air and wave dash with mashing on the ground I was blazing through the level.

The boss is great too. He was really kicking my ass when I tried to fight him the first few times and I had to swap up my strategy against him.
I was fighting him as I usually do these guys, by staying well away from him, so he kept nailing me with those tracking machine gun blasts. I kept thinking I was just horrible at dodging them. I started jumping over and behind him as soon as he starts firing them and he barely hit me at all.
Really fun guy!

Finally, re: levels. I also think that they add a form of punishment I totally agree with in this game. However, as said above, not everyone likes that.
@Zugama 's suggestion of a Classic and Modern mode is a good one.

I'm having some issues with the keybinding screen, in that it shows the d-pad and both joysticks are disabled, so I can't move with my controller. Spent some time trying to figure out how to fix it. any of you guys have the same problem and got around it?

Shovel Knight's death system works well for Shovel Knight, but I'd like to see M#9 stick to a classic lives system. I always felt the MM series was pretty fair compared to other games anyway, since you had passwords/saves and infinite continues. The only problem in the early MM games was that you had a finite number of Energy Tanks for the entire game, and only one chance to get them in each stage (in some games you couldn't carry more than 4 either). I'm already assuming M#9 won't be that rough, so having a system that encourages you to replay the stages a few times, and get good at them, sounds perfectly fine.

People might also be overstating Shovel Knight's progressiveness regarding lives as well. Once you start doing Broken Checkpoint/No Relic runs in that game, a single death becomes way more tedious than most classic NES games. I can understand other developers not integrating that kind of "player dictated difficulty curve" into their games, since it may have a huge impact on how they'd have to balance the game's bosses, or later stages.

Oh my god this game is fun as fuck

You know when I made the decision back whenever it happened to kick this start, I kind of was imagining something that would play like the NES Mega Man games, but it's much closer to Mega Man X, specifically MMX 1 through 3 (the good ones*). It's actually even faster than those games since you finish off enemies by dashing through them, so a lot of the time you don't even stop dashing to kill something, you just fire 1-2 shots and keep going. So you can move real fast, and the stage (the one stage, I hope they don't fuck this up with the other stages I guess) is designed to give you areas where you can move real fast, and it gives you opportunities to use the multiple air dashes that they give you, and it's just, man, it's just really good, I am really impressed with what they have so far. If I knew the game was gonna be this good I would have downloaded it as soon as I got access to the beta instead of waiting like 3 days for no reason.

I don't really mind the lives thing because the game is not that hard anyways. I think in an ideal world though it would have something closer to Shovel Knight's thing. I don't really feel like I need to be "punished" for failure in a video game, I'm not that masochistic, it's enough for me that I failed to accomplish the thing and now I have to try it again. But again the game is not especially hard so if this stage is indicative of the difficulty the game will have then I don't really care.

I agree with @Cellsai that the button config is sort of amazingly bad, like don't give me a picture of an xbox controller, that doesn't help me, I'm playing on stick. Just tell me what button does what. Also let me config my buttons in game, the fact that I couldn't do that really added to the trial and error aspect of the whole thing. Again it's all beta so I can let this stuff slide more but I hope it gets figured out eventually.

It said in the email we got that they're cool with us posting videos of the game so I may try streaming it later tonight.

*4 was okay I guess

because the game is not that hard anyways.

But again the game is not especially hard

do I just suck or

cause I mean I felt like this was HARD. Like, not overly hard like some unfair platformers and such, but I still thought it was HARD.

Especially the boss. Those patterns, while predictable, hit HARD - and the double damage while dashing thing murders you.

do I just suck or

cause I mean I felt like this was HARD. Like, not overly hard like some unfair platformers and such, but I still thought it was HARD.

Especially the boss. Those patterns, while predictable, hit HARD - and the double damage while dashing thing murders you.
Once you know the layout of the stage and where all the enemies are and how many shots each enemy takes to kill etc I don't think it's really that tough compared to, like, Mega Man 10 on normal difficulty (which I use just because it's the Mega Man game I've played most recently). The first time I played the stage yeah it took a lot of lives and continues to beat, and the helper dude whose name I can't remember had to keep showing up and giving me power ups and 1-ups out of pity, but once I played the stage enough I got to a point where I could beat it with 0-1 deaths (I still usually have to use an e-tank though). I think I ended up just replaying the 1 stage the beta has for like 2 hours last night, game is too fun, didn't wanna stop.

Reactions: Ronus
Double post check out this run I did~ Really wanted to get under 4 minutes but oh well, maybe next time

Reactions: KaboomKid