• As part of the relaunch of Skullheart, ALL previous threads have been archived. You can find them at the bottom of the forum in the Archives (2021) section. The archives are locked, so please use the new forum sections to create new discussion threads.

Mighty No. 9

Wow. So Mighty Number Ø/Ray/Zero. Makes me wonder if we'll get a Mighty Number 10/Ju/X person. And then I wonder how parallel to Megaman things can get without people getting in trouble.

Beck got a color change. He's sporting white now.

e1db370723fe4f9f06493bcfd9797c6a_large.jpg

I like it. I think it makes him pop more.

I like it cause it's ever so slightly less of a ripoff of Mega Man. Some of the stuff they've done that was similar to that other fighting robot was defensible, but why'd they make Beck blue of all colors, lol

Is it April yet lol I wanna play the video game

Final beta update is out. Bug fixes, adjustments, etc etc

Apparently the game is close to being done. Everything is set except a few cutscenes and the music/VA.

Neato. Can't wait to play it on my Wii U, where it runs at a decent framerate.

Oh totally. Aside from like, a missing jump animation from the sword Might No dude in one scene, it could pass as complete to me. Balance of enemy number / health power ups / placement can of course be tweaked, but I think it feels really great.

I'm looking forward to the full game. Mostly for voice acted mid-mission conversations. I can't read and play at the same time.

Reactions: Shockdingo

Played a bit of the new beta. Biggest addition was the new Mission Hub. Looks great! Other changes I found:
  • Double tap a direction to dash. We Mega Man X now.
  • Minibosses have less HP
  • Improved framerate on my shit laptop
  • Small changes in level for ease of traversing
  • New art for in-game conversations that looks MUCH better
  • Just general polish over the whole thing

I don't know what it is, but something about that title screen is REALLY appealing to me. I think it's the background behind the title, but I REALLY like that look for some reason.

Had a chance to play each stage, a few thoughts while it's fresh in my head.

You can now button config while in-game! And the button config is now greatly improved, as it tells you what the button you're setting DOES instead of just giving you a picture of an XBOX 360 controller... however, only the in-game button config is the new improved one, if you try to change buttons from the main menu it's the old shitty one. Weird but as long as a good one exists I don't really care.

Double tap to dash exists and also it's optional so you can turn it off (which I did because I hate that shit lol). There were other new options that I didn't really investigate but they seemed related to the fanfare when you absorb an enemy, like you could turn stuff off that previously had always been on. I don't see myself changing those settings.

Some bugs were fixed. Most of these were... bugs that I kinda could have lived without them being fixed. For example there was a bug I found where if you get hit while climbing up a box, you take damage and get temporary invulnerability but you wouldn't go into hitstun. Now that's fixed and you go into a LOT of hitstun, which negates a little timesaving trick I had found. There was another bug where if you dashed into the the right spot on a ledge you would clip to the the top of the ledge instead of hanging, now if you touch a ledge at all you always get that hanging animation. I guess I understand these things being changed but I don't really like it. On the other end the one bug I really wanted fixed, which was framerate loss in two specific parts of Water Works, is still present.

You're no longer obligated to learn how to play the game every time you boot it up! That's good!

Uh, there is a LOT more loading time now, dunno what's up with that, but it is REALLY noticeable any time you die. Not great.

The balance changes are mostly really subtle. It's every so often I was just like wait why's that guy there and I'd dash straight into an enemy or something. One change I really like is the little floor washing guys are gone from Power Plant. It used to be there would be one that would trap you in a small corridor and you would either have to fight it or get hit on purpose (I would always get hit). Now there's just one of the little worker guys and he's further from that corridor so you can just go right past him. The minibosses are another place it's noticeable, they take a few less hits to kill which is very welcome.

Look at this image:

http://i.imgur.com/NNr5R7I.jpg

You can stand here now. When the game first came out you could stand here, then it was changed so that you're weirdly hovering off the ground and would eventually fall into the spikes. Now you can stand here again. I guess when they changed it last time it was an accident (or changing it THIS time is an accident). In any case it makes getting this shortcut much easier.

There's a lot of other little changes but that's the stuff that stands out to me.

Reactions: KaboomKid
Over on the official Mighty No. 9 blog, Comcept and Inti Creates shared the game’s official English voice cast. The lineup in full is as follows:

Mighty No. 1 Pyrogen: Matt Mercer
Mighty No. 2 Cryosphere: Paige King
Mighty No. 3 Dynatron: Jan Johns
Mighty No. 4 Seismic: Fred Tatasciore
Mighty No. 5 Battalion: Brian. T. Delaney
Mighty No. 6 Aviator: Mick Wingert
Mighty No. 7 Brandish: JP Karliak
Mighty No. 8 Countershade: Steve Blum
Mighty No. 9 Beck: Yuri Lowenthal
Call: Julie Nathanson
Dr. White: Jason Spisak
Dr. Sanda: Dave Wittenberg
Seijiro Sanda: Dave Wittenberg
Mr. Graham: Scott Whyte
Dr. Blackwell: Bob Joles

ah SHIT that's a good cast
some names in there that I don't recognize but YEEEEAAAAAH for the most part

My only concern is that I haven't really heard of Cyrosphere or Dynatron's VAs. Hopefully they do a good job though.

I looked them up
They've done some voice acting in the past
but ultimately it's more up to the director to guide them well

Sooo yup, September. It was at the buzzer, but I'm glad they got the word out before May.

The good news is that Plague of Shadows will probably come out this summer, and Half-Genie Hero might come a bit later in the Fall/Winter, so ideally these Kickstarter buddies still won't have to compete for the spotlight during their releases.

The extra coat of polish will also hopefully mean a stronger release for M#9. With so much attention around this game, I was honestly kind of worried that if it got a lukewarm reception this month, it would cast a bit of a shadow over other Indie/KS projects this year. Now I know can at least enjoy this summer without worrying about "How Feminism Ruins Games" arguments popping up everywhere.

It should come out sooner so that I can play it without waiting IMHO

To be honest it still looks like it'll be a pretty decent game in the end.
I think so too, but we all know there's gonna be a hatewagon behind this game regardless of how it turns out. Now with the September release, at least some of that crap will eventually get drowned out by Smash Ballot news and FNAF4 theories, among other things. The added language options will also snuff the English VA complaints we'd have been flooded with by now. I think the delay was a pretty smart move all around.

Reactions: Shockdingo
Haters gonna hate

TBF I didn't think a whole lot about this game until I had a chance to play it

Hi there, I am mostly turned off of this game but there was something I found mildly amusing.

Shovel Knight and MN9 have a thing in common: They both had Kickstarter campaigns where one of the high-rung tiers was "We'll put your face in the game!"

Shovel Knight said:
Your face in the game! At least, a pixel version of you. You aren't gonna know what we do with you until you see it in game, but it's gonna be good.

Mighty No. 9 said:
We'll make a 2D representation of your face to use somewhere it will fit naturally into the game -- prominent enough for you to find it and show your friends, but innocuous enough not to bother other players.

Fast forward a few months, this is how Shovel Knight handled the situation:

shovelknight.jpg

And... this is how MN9 handled it.

mn9.png

... Yeah. To Comcept's credit they ended up listening to (largely negative) fan feedback and redid these as 2D drawings, but the fact that they ever considered this "naturally-fitting" and "innocuous" enough to show to the public makes me laugh. And cry.

look haters gonna hate but I have the beta and the flow of gameplay is top notch. It's like classic megaman but fast as hell cause of the dash function. It's a speed runners wet dream.

The community management was a shitshow though. If I was picking a community manager, I would pick one that had the most bland unopinionated personality possible. A community wont be healthy if the mods are totalitarian, and it's especially bad when the community manager actively bans paying customers and tells them their money isn't wanted. Politics aside it's not good business.

Personally, I'm fine with the delay and almost everything so far. Count me in for looking forward to this. At the end of the day, we may be waiting longer for the release, but we'll be getting more than we originally thought, so win-win for me.

I really hope that this is a great quality product in the end and becomes a franchise, that way, the kinks and growing pains for the first entry can be worked out for a smooth trip in the future.

Won't be a great quality product. the QA on it seems dysmal: map design, some models, backgrounds, a lot feels "lifeless".

Then again, i paid to have a mega man spiritual sucessor, and almost all Mega Man games were rated 6,5 to 8,5 by critics. As long as it's still in that margin and fun to play i'm getting what i paid for

dysmal: map design, some models, backgrounds, a lot feels "lifeless".

Sounds like the first mega man zero game. Man, that game was so bland compared to the later installments.

Curious what you mean by map design. I don't really care too much about models and backgrounds (it's a nice bonus if the game is fun), but level design (in terms of enemy placement, pacing, gameplay stuff, etc.) is very important.

Speak for yourself. The first MMZ had a DESOLATE look. almost post apocalyptic, not bland.

Speak for yourself. The first MMZ had a DESOLATE look. almost post apocalyptic, not bland.
I mostly wasn't talking about the aesthetic (though some of the backgrounds are a little too colorless, and the final stage basically being a bunch of purple coordioors was pretty lame).

I meant more that in terms of gameplay, the level design is very weak up until the final Neo Arcadia stages. Beforehand 3/4th of the stages are recycled twice, and most of the stage layouts themselves aren't what I'd call the best platforming/enemy placement in the series (desert is mostly flat, harpuia's broken highway feels annoying because the camera is a little too zoomed in, etc.).

If we're talking aesthetics, I'd argue that Z4 and the Zx games had the most gorgeous environmental artwork.

Was there something that happened with Mighty No. 9 that really gave it a negative backlash? I'm haven't followed it but I keep seeing people talking poorly about it over in the Castlevania thread.

Was there something that happened with Mighty No. 9 that really gave it a negative backlash? I'm haven't followed it but I keep seeing people talking poorly about it over in the Castlevania thread.

I think it was because Keiji asked for money a bunch of times even after the game was funded (second crowd funding etc) and put some of it into extraneous stuff like a cartoon and whatnot.

That and people have said the level design looks "bland" though I haven't been able to get an explanation from anybody on what that means, aside from the obvious 3d look that's extraneous to gameplay.

And there was that community manager who banned from backer-only forums and denied refunds to people who had opinions she didn't like.

That really painted the game negatively to some people.

Last edited:
Ironically, another thing completely unrelated to gameplay ^_^

Azure Striker Gunvolt had genuinely subpar level design IMO (in a gameplay sense). Too many cramped, featureless corridors with the same soldier dude or flying drone blocking your path over and over. I would condemn it and the team at Inti based on that, but the game is way better if you play it for speed (which was the intention behind the ranking/scoring system) and it's still better than Mega Man Zero 1's bland and constantly recycled stage layouts. I could see MN9 maybe ending up with the same issue, since as "first in the series" both Zero 1 and Azure had that problem, but the longer development cycle might result in a more polished product.

I'll reserve judgement on this till I play it.

Last edited:
The cartoon stuff wasn't even derived from the crowdfunding iirc
if I remember right, they said that the cartoon came from a different backer, unrelated to the crowdfunding money

Yeah, I'd say it was mostly community stuff, and the 2.5D style, that turned some folks off to MN9. The campaign also attracted a lot of people that were new to crowdfunding (and game dev in general), that simply weren't ready for the bumps that usually come with these sorts of projects.

Speaking of aesthetics, one old critique of the game's graphics that I agreed with, was that some people wanted the stages to have a bit more color saturation and contrast. Basically, helping the game resemble how colors were handled in classic Megaman/NES games. The mockups people posted looked pretty good, so I'm hoping some of those aspects might be tweaked in the final release.