• As part of the relaunch of Skullheart, ALL previous threads have been archived. You can find them at the bottom of the forum in the Archives (2021) section. The archives are locked, so please use the new forum sections to create new discussion threads.

Mr Peck's Comical Character Crisis

I played awful at the Combo Breaker tournament itself, but I'm not too unhappy with how I was playing during casuals. The first change I'm going to make is to try and get used to playing under pressure, by streaming much more and challenging people to sets/MMs and entering as many tournaments as I can and so on. It's a pretty important skill to have and I clearly don't have it yet.

Also, even after putting a huge amount of time into Filia and Cerebella it's clear that they don't suit me anywhere near as much as Peacock does. Mike Z recommended that I pick up Ms Fortune (mainly headless) and Parasoul (with L shot assist) and they have both already been suggested to me by several other people, so I'm going to give them another try.

I'm 2 days into learning Parasoul and I have no idea what the hell I'm supposed to be trying to do in neutral. Hopefully that will change soon!

Edit: And regarding my Peacock, I'm now happy to play her as an anchor if it's the best option for my team. Her defence and damage are so much better than I expected if she comes in with enough meter.

Last edited:
Reactions: Muro, gllt and Kai
I'd rather use the sort of character who has to make space and set up a projectile or two and use that to their advantage when they go in.

I think Fukua or Squigly would be good characters to try. Squigly doesn't use a projectile, but she does have that option to back off, charge up and then use that charge to get an advantage when going in. Both characters transition from playing far out to rushing down pretty well.

I'm going to put a lot of time into Ms Fortune and Parasoul first. I'll consider Squigly and Robo Fortune and Eliza and maybe even Fukua if I really can't get on with those two characters at all, but I'm months away from that.

MF/Peacock/Parasoul? Welp, my time on this planet is done, goodbye woooorlllllllddddddddddd!!!! Jokes aside good luck.

MF/Peacock/Parasoul? Welp, my time on this planet is done, goodbye woooorlllllllddddddddddd!!!! Jokes aside good luck.
I don't know how to use Parasoul yet but her DHCs into Peacock are disgusting. Sniper > Lenny, charge item, argus, release level 3 item, teleport, easy OTG conversion. Or just combo/reset using the charged item and Lenny instead of calling argus.

Last edited:
Reactions: Lawnalog
I don't know how to use Parasoul yet but her DHCs into Peacock are disgusting. Sniper > Lenny, charge item, argus, release level 3 item, teleport, easy OTG conversion. Or just combo/reset using the charged item and Lenny instead of calling argus.
Parasoul with item drop (M) as an assist is pretty sick too you should try it out maybe.

I've seen you use it! I'll figure out which assist to use once I have any idea whatsoever about how I want to play Parasoul. Seriously, I'm clueless at the moment.

I'm still not getting rushdown Parasoul. I was kinda hoping for rushdown Peacock 2.0 but from watching match footage she just seems like a standard rushdown character with long pokes and low air mobility. I'm seeing people go entire rounds without shooting a single projectile, or only using them to tack on a bit of chip damage after a blocked lockdown assist. I don't really understand why this character would suit me more than, say, Filia or Painwheel, but I'll keep at it!

Last edited:
I assume that refers to Woofly because I am the last one anyone should go to for Parasoul rushdown

Reactions: Mr Peck
14:26 - Wooflypies: Parasoul
14:26 - Wooflypies: isnt
14:26 - Wooflypies: your style man
14:26 - Wooflypies: Please
14:26 - Wooflypies: accept this
14:26 - Wooflypies: PLEASE
14:26 - Wooflypies: What you see is what you get with her
14:26 - Wooflypies: (IMO)

Stop trying to psyche me out im trying to learn a character here ;_;

Reactions: Dime and Pickles
Ok gonna be that guy hi.

Ever considered.

Fortune peacock filia?

Filia being hairball and peacock being w.e?

Headless with hairballl does a good amount of chip in the corner and her ground game is excellent

I love Filia and if I thought she suited my playstyle I would keep using her. Unfortunately she doesn't. That's a really fun shell for Peacock too.

What do you consider "your sytle"?

Setups and projectile pressure and things like that. Not fast, reactive characters like Filia/Beo/Cerebella. I already knew I struggled hard to improve with those characters, but Mike Z did a good job of explaining it to me when I was at Combo Breaker.

I'm seeing people go entire rounds without shooting a single projectile, or only using them to tack on a bit of chip damage after a blocked lockdown assist.
L Shot is +2 on block though.

L Shot is +2 on block though.
That's right. I watched more sets since then and found some better ones that made her look like she could be fun! I think I just had bad luck with the first matches that I happened to find.

Skarmand has also been ridiculously helpful and patient with all my questions, so thank you Skarmand!

Reactions: skull person
Well that fits peacock pretty well. It all comes down to if you want her to be the main focus and have the other characters strictly support her in this regard or if you want to strictly use only character you are comfortable with.

Most armored/lockdown assists will help you with that game plan. You have stuff like copter, LnL, Butcher's Blade, Hairball, maybe beowulf's chairless c.HP that you can look at.

Other characters that I think do pretty well in terms of setups are Beowulf, Eliza, and a bit of Fukua. Beowulf and Eliza can both setup hard knockdowns of pretty much any hit and can be extremely hard to deal with if you couple them with an armored or low hitting assist once they do land that hit. Fukua's zoning is pretty decent coupled with an assist and can setup some nasty oki situations in the corner on her own.

I personally feel like parasoul focuses more on her good range and spacing more than anything else, and I don't know if I'd really recommend her to you given your response. Not to discourage you from using her, I think it's always a good idea to do some trial and error with a little lab work with every character.

I'm going to put a lot of time into Ms Fortune and Parasoul first. I'll consider other characters if I really can't get on with those two at all, but I'm months away from that.

I'm burning myself out way too hard trying to learn both of these characters right after Combo Breaker, so I think I'm going to slow down for a while. Especially because Real Life Stuff is kinda bringing me down and making it hard for me to concentrate. I'm not going to stop playing the game or anything, but spending several hours a day on characters that I can barely even use is just going to make me frustrated.

Also, I'm considering moving to more of a zoning team instead of rushdown. The main thing I loved about rushdown in the first place was Magneto-style craziness, so if I'm losing that by dropping Filia I'm much more open to changing my style completely if it will suit my strengths as a player.

Last edited:
Also, I'm considering moving to more of a zoning team instead of rushdown. The main thing I loved about rushdown in the first place was Magneto-style craziness, so if I'm losing that by dropping Filia I'm much more open to changing my style completely if it will suit my strengths as a player.
I think the real charm of your play is the creativity of your rushdown, so I'd hate to see that lost in the transition to zoning. People can feel free to disagree (and I'm sure they will), but I've always felt ranged play doesn't leave much room for a player to have a, "style," or, "personality."

It is if you weave in and out or set up traps instead of doing pure zoning.

Also, having a playstyle with charm and personality doesn't do much aside from getting the crowd on your side. And the crowd will never be on my side when I'm playing against a US player anyway, so it's kinda irrelevant.

I'll always be on your side, peck :'(

*insert corny love song*

I'd disagree about zoning not leaving room for style though, Arturo right now is the hypest SF4 player to watch IMO when he's trying to zone and keep space with Dhalsim. Really, anything gets hype when you're just rooting for the guy you like.

I've always felt ranged play doesn't leave much room for a player to have a, "style," or, "personality."
QFScrub. :^)

Duc playing Team Duc
vs
some other guy playing Team Duc

Completely different style/personality zoning, even with the same TEAM.

QFScrub. :^)

Completely different style/personality zoning, even with the same TEAM.
I am nowhere near familiar enough with MvC2 to agree or disagree with this, but you are, so I'll take your word for it. I'll be more specific: Peacock zoning has struck me, in the last 3 years, as samey.

To me, it's the same as when I was fighting in the gym. A million guys with the same MT+BJJ training and tools, but of different height and weight. Even though that makes things different, that's not a difference of style. LnL, Brass, or Bomber? Same purpose, same style, just different heights and weights. If your gameplan is to always move backwards, fire high success patterns, and call assists, that's the same. Zoning doesn't bother me at all, but I'm hard pressed to spot major differences between Peacock zoners. 09'er scrub or whatever, that's how I see it.

Right now Peck has a really fun and recognizable style, imo. If he went zoner, I think it'd be a lot harder to pick him out of a crowd of Peacocks. That's all I'm saying.

I am nowhere near familiar enough with MvC2 to agree or disagree with this, but you are, so I'll take your word for it. I'll be more specific: Peacock zoning has struck me, in the last 3 years, as samey.
Maybe it's the fact that I've played Peacock for those same three years that helps me recognize the different styles between players like TJ, Peanuts, worldjem, and Cisco in how they run their ranged games. The overall gameplan is the same, but to say how any of them do it is particularly homogenized would be incorrect.

Maybe it's the fact that I've played Peacock for those same three years that helps me recognize the different styles between players like TJ, Peanuts, worldjem, and Cisco in how they run their ranged games. The overall gameplan is the same, but to say how any of them do it is particularly homogenized would be incorrect.
Maybe it's just my FGC version of the cross-race effect, then ¯\_(ツ)_/¯

Reactions: fenster and Mr Peck
Maybe it's just my FGC version of the cross-race effect, then ¯\_(ツ)_/¯
FWIW Every Filia looks the same to me but I know that's just me not having much of a head for rushdown, so I feel ya.

That said, I do agree that Peck has a unique style overall that I'd hate to see him abandon in any way, but I don't think further honing his zoning tech will detract from what he already has so much as enhance it.

Also, having a playstyle with charm and personality doesn't do much aside from getting the crowd on your side. And the crowd will never be on my side when I'm playing against a US player anyway, so it's kinda irrelevant.
Hey, I'll root for you, bruv.

Have you played with robo yet peck? Honestly from our sets at CB (I don't know about before because I wasn't as into the skullgirls "scene" back when you played basically pure rushdown peacock, you've gotten "zonier" since then I've heard) I would best describe your style of play as "agressive zoning", not really rushing the opponent down but controlling space at midrange, which robo seems to do really well. As mike has said before, robo's style of zoning is less "keep the opponent at the other side of the screen" but rather "restrict your opponents options by limiting their available space" which seems to be more up your alley. Maybe you won't like her, maybe you will, but if you haven't tried her recently maybe it's worth a shot?

I think since Mr. Peck already plays Peacock as semi-rushdown, he'll do fine doing that with other zoners. :^)

Have you played with robo yet peck? Honestly from our sets at CB (I don't know about before because I wasn't as into the skullgirls "scene" back when you played basically pure rushdown peacock, you've gotten "zonier" since then I've heard) I would best describe your style of play as "agressive zoning", not really rushing the opponent down but controlling space at midrange, which robo seems to do really well. As mike has said before, robo's style of zoning is less "keep the opponent at the other side of the screen" but rather "restrict your opponents options by limiting their available space" which seems to be more up your alley. Maybe you won't like her, maybe you will, but if you haven't tried her recently maybe it's worth a shot?
I haven't tried her since she had an airdash and no specials, but she's on my list. I'll give her a go as soon as I get the basics of Parasoul and Ms Fortune down.

14:26 - Wooflypies: Parasoul
14:26 - Wooflypies: isnt
14:26 - Wooflypies: your style man
14:26 - Wooflypies: Please
14:26 - Wooflypies: accept this
14:26 - Wooflypies: PLEASE
14:26 - Wooflypies: What you see is what you get with her
14:26 - Wooflypies: (IMO)
He was right, unfortunately. It reached the point where the fact that I was using Parasoul was killing my motivation to even play the game, which isn't great. Maybe I'd like her more if I improved with her, but what I love about playing rushdown Peacock is darting about all over the place and keeping myself safe with projectiles and I couldn't figure out how to get anything like that going with Parasoul. I briefly talked to Sev and Skarmand about their playstyles too, and their gameplans don't sound remotely like how I want to play the game. So because of all that, I'm dropping her for now.

I don't understand headless Fortune yet but I have a feeling I'll like her so I'm sticking with her for now. I'm having fun with the basics of head-on too, despite having no clue how to approach Peacock with her yet.

As for other characters, I'm probably not going to enjoy Eliza or Squigly if I already find Parasoul to be too slow, and my first impressions of Robo Fortune aren't so great either. Valentine and Double are next on the list and they're both kinda interesting, so that's something. They both have the added benefit of having decent matchups against keepaway Peacock teams, which are always going to be the hardest matchup for my style of anchor Peacock.

Sorry about another boring post about trying to decide which characters to play but I figured I might as well keep this thread up to date. I feel like I'm getting closer to having a team that suits my playstyle!

you'll figure it out man. Your peacock is already great, you say you're going to stick it out with Fortune a little while longer and that's good. I'd say if you are going to pick another character it should be Double, mixing her weird pressure with a george assist should give some nasty mixups with a well timed flesh step.