I haven't had a lot of free time recently but that's starting to change, so I've been trying to improve as much as I can. I almost lost to Sanji in Skullbats top 8 last weekend so I put some training mode time into finding ways to deal with Beowulf's tools. I have lots of ideas for how I want to change my gameplan and approach the matchup in general, but this was just about finding ways to punish people who go nuts with his invincible/armored moves. Here are some things I found:
- Alpha counter into Napalm Pillar punishes Beowulf's Arm->Lenny DHC if (and only if) you alpha counter before the second super flash.
- You can call assists after the arm super flash, even from point blank. Your point character still gets hit while your assist is coming in so the assist will just stand there and taunt, but it blocks Beowulf's forward movement and stops him from getting a followup combo on your point character.
- Do air resets on Beowulf so you don't have to worry about arm in the first place. Just watch out for the inevitable Beat Extend alpha counter.
Beating H Chair Toss:
- It's obviously not throw-invincible, so if Beowulf is out of meter you can go for safe throw attempts and cover them with an assist. Just like Eliza, basically.
- Unlike Eliza's 15 frame DP, the startup is SLOW. 25 frames. So not only does this give you safejumps for days (and meaty throws, like I just mentioned), it gives both Peacock and Parasoul safe high/low mixups after a hard knockdown:
- Parasoul can do the burst bait j.HP pseudo-hard knockdown setup into meaty f+HP or c.LK then buffer downback c.MK plus an assist, and if Beowulf goes for chair toss the first move will whiff, c.MK won't come out, and the assist will come in while Parasoul is blocking the chair and counterhit him for a full combo followup.
- Peacock can throw out an L george after a midscreen throw, or charge item > M george after a corner throw, and go for a safe meaty c.MK or IAD j.LP. She gets a free combo from the george/item if Beowulf went for chair toss.
Beating Chairless Sweep
- You can punish this from miles away if you jump over it and start your punish combo with any jump in or an M item drop.
- Napalm Pillar assist's ground hitbox has huge horizontal range. You can block and call Pillar just before the sweep hits you to get a pillar>item>argus>teleport punish from a surprisingly long distance.
- Argus punishes it on block if you want to spend the meter
- The safe anti-chair toss oki setups I listed also work against chairless sweep, as long as Beowulf lets the whole move play out and doesn't cancel it into arm. This is because the long sweep startup combined with the hitstop from any absorbed hits gives you enough time to react and reversal through his sweep.
- Also: sweeps, throws, the usual anti-armor stuff.
- When you're in the corner and Beowulf air blitzers above you then tries to make it safe by blitzering diagonally downback away from you, it's just close enough that Peacock can punish it with microdash s.LP>c.MK into full combo. Don't even wait for the dash to start moving you forwards, just do f,f+LP so you get a tiny bit of momentum on the s.LP. I ended up in this blitzer situation often enough that it was worth learning this specific punish. Other characters can punish it much more easily, but at first it felt like Peacock didn't have a consistent punish option.
- Now I have multiple safe Peacock air resets on Beowulf. Ho ho ho.
- Not really Beowulf specific, but H bang (1 hit) + call Robo H beam assist is a good replacement for raw H bang (3 hits). The beam doesn't hit most crouchers but it's safe on block, it still beats armor just as well as H bang, and on hit it lets you charge an H item>argus into teleport for a 1 bar conversion. I need to start building this into my zoning patterns.