• As part of the relaunch of Skullheart, ALL previous threads have been archived. You can find them at the bottom of the forum in the Archives (2021) section. The archives are locked, so please use the new forum sections to create new discussion threads.

Painwheel MDE Combo Thread (Page 3 Onwards)

Death crawl is prefered.
There's a combo that uses both.
You could end in sweep.

Death Crawl is your high damage option. When you're not installed, it will do more damage than Thresher at both min and max scaling.

Thresher I see more as the reversal option. It is a pretty damn good air super, and you can combo out of it.

I guess if I'm looking to use a full combo (no resets), I'll end in DC. That said, I rarely don't do a full combo unless I need to make a statement or kill a character.

Reactions: dMags
Death Crawl is your high damage option. When you're not installed, it will do more damage than Thresher at both min and max scaling.

Thresher I see more as the reversal option. It is a pretty damn good air super, and you can combo out of it.

Right, that makes sense. Gotta learn some resets.

And hi spence.

Reactions: Spencer
Oki is actually the one reason that I sometimes switch between the two. After max scaling, DC does more damage and now I end most of my combos in that. However, not too long ago, almost all of my BnBs ended in Thresher. Since you can fly immediately after, you can make the opponent guess a little on his tech, especially if you have a lockdown assist, like Cerecopter.

If you are running all the way to the end of a combo, then you are prioritizing damage thus the DC. If you are concerned about positioning after running all the way to the end of a combo... reset somewhere in the middle of it. Or that's how I view it anyway.

I feel there are a few little differences, though. A reset can be escaped in unpredictable ways sometimes, while oki at the end of a finished combo keeps an opponent somewhat honest because they still have to worry about their set tech options and stuff. However, the biggest thing is that oki involves a knockdown which clears all drama. A reset keeps your drama, so oftentimes, resetting won't actually let you perform a full combo unless you reset extremely early in your combo. Personally, I also find Thresher a lot easier to DHC out of, which is important since DHCs partially reset the damage scaling. A small little something else I need to test more extensively to confirm: I believe the specific moves (s.HK > j.MP > j.HP > Buer) that lead into Thresher gain a little more meter (31.1%) than the specific moves (s.HP > L Buer) that lead into DC (17.6%). So if you care about your meter gain, and you're trying to stretch to gain a little more while still dishing out a decent amount of damage at the end, finishing in Thresher could be a good option.

yes hello I don't play this character

J.HP armor OS lockdown oki too stronk and people try to mash too much online. I end all my stuff in resets and hope I get sweet CHs for more. The safety of being able to cancel into Thresher or DHC always wins over damage.

Reset. Reset. Reset. PW metergain is ass (does Buer/Throw 50% scaling effect metergain too?)

Reactions: ClarenceMage
I'm just in the lab making stupid things because I can. I have a combo with four jHPs and I'm trying to get more but then I got busy with sMP loops because lmfao
The quad jHP combo has a good burst bait point with jMK, I'll record it later when I'm not bad at it

EDIT:

I make the worst combos HUE

Last edited:
PW metergain is ass (does Buer/Throw 50% scaling effect metergain too?)

It should, right? Meter gain is based off of damage scaling directly, so anything that scales the damage should scale the meter, no?

Our meter gain will never be great (I remember the first time I saw meter gain from Rekka(x3)... holy shit), but we can stop it from being bad by resets like you pointed out. Really, the only issue is that we are dependent on multi-hit moves to jump-in (j.mp/j.hp/j.hk) cause so much scaling that it makes our damage ass and our meter-gain ass (and our meter-give too good).

If people reset into a j.mk almost immediately, then it fixes the problem almost immediately (and no one expects a reset after 2 hits).

It should, right? Meter gain is based off of damage scaling directly, so anything that scales the damage should scale the meter, no?

Our meter gain will never be great (I remember the first time I saw meter gain from Rekka(x3)... holy shit), but we can stop it from being bad by resets like you pointed out. Really, the only issue is that we are dependent on multi-hit moves to jump-in (j.mp/j.hp/j.hk) cause so much scaling that it makes our damage ass and our meter-gain ass (and our meter-give too good).

If people reset into a j.mk almost immediately, then it fixes the problem almost immediately (and no one expects a reset after 2 hits).

Finding a way around all of pws starters being highly scaled is something ive been needing to work on.

Having said that, cr.mk starter as a reset is now viable cause of low,and the new stinger cancel overhead reset isnt scaled either, so....

It seems paramount that those moves are looked towards as reset potential... For instance:

From st.hk x1 or 2 we have an actual left/right mixup of scaled j.hk crossup, or j.mk non crossup. And from st.lp we have stinger cancel into high or delay into cr.mk starter.

J.HP armor OS lockdown oki too stronk and people try to mash too much online.
Please forgive the annoyance but I'm trying to pick up on as many non-Smash FG terms as I can. What is "OS"?

Having said that, cr.mk starter as a reset is now viable cause of low,and the new stinger cancel overhead reset isnt scaled either, so....

It seems paramount that those moves are looked towards as reset potential... For instance:

From st.hk x1 or 2 we have an actual left/right mixup of scaled j.hk crossup, or j.mk non crossup. And from st.lp we have stinger cancel into high or delay into cr.mk starter.
Can you please go into detail on what this new stinger cancel overhead is? Is it beta-only right now? (O_o)

Please forgive the annoyance but I'm trying to pick up on as many non-Smash FG terms as I can. What is "OS"?
(O_o)
OS=option select.

its bascially a what if statement so say i'm filia in some OS inhabited world.

no if i do this in the corner.
s hp > j lp j lk > j mk > j hp > > s hp>Upback/rawtag.>j hp

if you put in upback with raw tag quickly it will do the following.

if the person takes the burst bait then a raw tag will be used.
if not then filia does a j hp and continue the burst bait.

now again this doesn't exist in SG
here's one

The easiest example is the crouch tech option select. If your holding downback in training room, press jab and light (the buttons used for throwing) , you will notice that cr light comes out, now if you do that in font of your opponent, they will get hit with it but if they try to throw you... you tech the throw.

In this game is plays a minor role. I use it for Squigly v Filia. I jump and hit j.mp > j.hp. If I hit with j.mp I get the j.hp and push her away. If I whiff with j.mp, the j.hp never comes out.

You also see it all the time in SFIV. Since they have crouch teching, you can hold down-back and mash lp+lk. If they try and throw you out of blockstring, you'll tech. If they try and do something like an overhead, you'll lk them out of it. (I actually despise SFIVs reliance on OS... it feels like a game that is made of faulty game designs).

Pw /squigly center stage assist, midscreen double snap combo:

Cr.lk,cr.mk,st.hp xx fly df jlk,cr.mk,st.hp plus assist xx snap, dash cr.mp (1hit) st.hk, (j.lp, j.lk, j.mp,st.lp,st.mp) repeat brackets till corner and transition to corner infinite.

-edit

MUCH EASIER STARTER:

Cr.lk,cr.mk,st.hp xx fly df jlk,cr.mk,st.hp xx lp stinger, dash st.lp,cr.lk,cr.mp,st.hp plus sing assist xx snap dash cr.lp,st.mp (whatever infinite you want)

Last edited:
OS=option select.

its bascially a what if statement so say i'm filia in some OS inhabited world.

no if i do this in the corner.
s hp > j lp j lk > j mk > j hp > > s hp>Upback/rawtag.>j hp

if you put in upback with raw tag quickly it will do the following.

if the person takes the burst bait then a raw tag will be used.
if not then filia does a j hp and continue the burst bait.

now again this doesn't exist in SG
here's one
Thanks for the detailed explanation. I did know what an 'option select' is, but I just didn't recognize the abbreviation off the top of my head. Thanks a lot, though, as there are probably a bunch of terms that I'm not familiar with. :)

Thanks for the detailed explanation. I did know what an 'option select' is, but I just didn't recognize the abbreviation off the top of my head. Thanks a lot, though, as there are probably a bunch of terms that I'm not familiar with. :)
don't worry about the Option select in this game cause it kinda doesn't exist.

there's only TRUE 50/50's or some crap like that and PW most certainly has plenty to beat mashed supers so in the end vs PW you must block correctly not mash and that messes up alot of people (like me)

Does the throw-tech option select also work in SG? :O

About those super reversals...how do we stop Double from mashing one out without blocking it? In the case of DC, we go through each other, but I think I was straight-up hit out of Thresher before (I may have gotten my supers mixed up in memory).

Does the throw-tech option select also work in SG? :O

About those super reversals...how do we stop Double from mashing one out without blocking it? In the case of DC, we go through each other, but I think I was straight-up hit out of Thresher before (I may have gotten my supers mixed up in memory).
from what i've seen you just call assist while doing charged moves.

also throw-tech OS does not exist in this game. Mike HATES OS's. the throw window is set up that you have to have your stick in neutral otherwise when you hold down and try to do throw tech. the tech window will shorten to a point where you can't tech.

Also i do not main PW i use other characters.

You can't crouch tech in this game, period.

Also, you can't really counter mash a Double car super. Just block it and punish it. Or, if you are in the air, fly straight up. It whiffs and she pops up beneath you ready for a full combo.

It depends on what state double is in. If double is blocking on the ground or simply just on the ground, then pw cant control doubles ability to mash out a car.

If however pw is comboing double, then all you need to do is launch double and the. Reset her before she hit the ground.

Barring level 5, double has no mashable invincible reversals in the air so she is super free to aerial resets, just like peacock, cerebella, parasoul, and squigly.

Reactions: Spencer

When you do a reset, leave the first few frames of neutral covered by j.HP armor. Cover this with an assist call and you can simply cancel into Thresher after absorbing the first hit of car (or, in some cases, the assist absorbs all the car hits). Watch out for DHCs.

Not sure if this is already known but Pw can get 7k off a throw and air throw in the corner against everyone except cerebella, double, and big band.

Notations
throw > lp (before they hit the ground) > c.mk > c.hp > H buer > fly cancel > air L buer > land > L buer > fly cancel > j.lp > land > mk > H buer > fly cancel > j.hp > land > lk > mk > H buer > fly cancel > j.mk > j.hp > land > lp > lk > mp > hp > L buer > death crawl

Not sure if this is already known but Pw can get 7k off a throw and air throw in the corner against everyone except cerebella, double, and big band.

Notations
throw > lp (before they hit the ground) > c.mk > c.hp > H buer > fly cancel > air L buer > land > L buer > fly cancel > j.lp > land > mk > H buer > fly cancel > j.hp > land > lk > mk > H buer > fly cancel > j.mk > j.hp > land > lp > lk > mp > hp > L buer > death crawl
she can do that on everyone actually, if you do a buer at the same time pw smashes the opponent on the ground it cancels the recovery of the grab and you can hit them with c.mk directly without the otg.

we call it "buer land canceling"

and thats my combo you posted there :D

@CaioLugon
I wasn't sure if it was and I didn't want to accidental give a shout out to the wrong person XD. I was attempting for a good while to get it to work on the heavy characters, maybe i just wasn't doing it fast enough. So anyway I have to ask, does no one think 7k off throw for one bar is op?

Last edited:
@CaioLugon
I wasn't sure if it was and I didn't want to accidental give a shout out to the wrong person XD. I was attempting for a good while to get it to work on the heavy characters, maybe i just wasn't doing it fast enough. So anyway I have to ask, does no one think 7k off throw for one bar is op?
I can get 8k with big band so...

yeah it's pretty op

@bubbaking
I can't remember the numbers exactly but I did test for good while to see how much I can get off a throw. I remember cerebella was higher than most and squigly I got like 5600 (guessing but I know it's around there) chargeless. I didn't test with charge though. The highest I got was with Pw (obviously) then Big band (no taunt), and Peacock who got like 6000.

Pw 8.4k damage, universal? Midscreen 1 meter cr.lk no ch combo:

Cr.lk,cr.mk,st.hp plus h brass assist, xx fly j.mk, lk buer xx fly df j.lp or f j.lk,st.mp j.mp,j.hp,j.hk land, cr.lk,cr.mk xx lp stinger dash st.lp,cr.lk,cr.mp,st.hp xx lk buer xx deathcrawl.

Note that this uses no otg so if you have a character that has a dhc that can be comboed out of, you can continue the combo by doing cr.lk,cr.mk xx buer xx dc xx dhc after the launcher combo and then get another string in for possibly more damage. In the case for BB you can dhc into ssj then hk overhead into another ssj i presume.

Last edited:
9k with H brass that I posted a while back:

c.lk, c.mk, s.hp, H brass, fly,
6j.mk,
s.hp, L buer, fly,
6j.lk, c.mk, L buer, fly
3j.lp,
c.mp, s.hp, L nails,
dash, s.lp, s.lk, c.mp, s.hp, L buer, super

Reactions: RAT__BABY and Dime
^^^OOOOOH i like that and does more damage to boot :)

Also, though its negligible, i improved upon it a bit: end with st.lp,st.lk,st.mk,f+Hk x 4, otg lk buer xx deathcrawl

"Improves" the combo by about 150 damage to around 9,150

Got the combo up to 9.3k..

Not confirmable, but safe on block GREAT for low resets that chain from st.lp

Just omit the first cr.lk. That pumps the damage up from 9150 to 9326

Next thing is to find a good throw combo that uses h brass assist as early as possible that is consistent.

Last edited:
ok so.. I've been out of the loop for a while and the PW combos I used to do don't work anymore :[
What are her optimal combos now? assist-less preferably. I'm scour the thread but I don't wanna put time into a combo if there's better ones out y'know?

ok so.. I've been out of the loop for a while and the PW combos I used to do don't work anymore :[
What are her optimal combos now? assist-less preferably. I'm scour the thread but I don't wanna put time into a combo if there's better ones out y'know?

I dont know all of them but I'll start you out and krack or whoever can finish. For universal midscreen no ch no assist combo, i think the 2 meter one i use is optimized:

Cr.lk cr.mk st.hp fly df jlk cr.mk st.hp lk buer fly df jlp
J.mk air mk buer xx thresher 5 j.lp otg cr.lk cr.mk lp stinger dash st.lp st.lk cr.mp st.hp lk buer deathcrawl.

It is "universal" except that its a total pain to hit parasoul or painwheel with the thresher super outside of the corner, so for that reason, i just leave out the air mk buer and do j.mk xx thresher against them at midscreen. Works fine in the corner. 8.8k damage

Caiolugon just posted an excellent assist combo that does 9-9.3k universal midscreen, a post or 2 above. Look to page 8 of this thread to see corner combos.

Someone should make a painwheel compendium

Or just put all of her combos on the first page like Nuuuance did with Squigly.

If we are gong to do it, it should be a community effort. But how many painwheels out there actually talk strategy and not just tactics? Besides spencer and i and extremely rarely, konkrete. No one really does. I cant remember the last time a painwheel had anything to say about strategies. Its almost always resets resets resets and combos combos combos... Lol

I would contribute but i aint doing it myself.

This is the combo thread though. Shouldn't we keep strategy and tactics on the general one?

I'm guessing caio was just saying we should get one in general (not necessarily in this thread).

It is hard to disagree. A lot of these seem to be a re asking and re answering of questions.

I'd gladly contribute is someone wants to get started on it, but I've zero interest in typing or compiling it all.