• As part of the relaunch of Skullheart, ALL previous threads have been archived. You can find them at the bottom of the forum in the Archives (2021) section. The archives are locked, so please use the new forum sections to create new discussion threads.

PC version lag that won't go away (SOLVED)

No longer exist

Reaction score
Double
So for a long while, I had been suffering at the hands of PC lag for SkullGirls. Originally I was on wireless due to some circumstances, so yeah I assume lag was going to happen.

Recently I had picked up a 200mbps powerlan adapter, and now I'm am fully connected with a wired connection. Here is the speedtest.net evalutation of my web:

http://www.speedtest.net/my-result/2991832233

The highest the download speed is about 31mbps is what I get with 8mbps upload. This is extremely better than what I had. I have even opened up all the ports for both steam and GGPO.

But even so, with green ping, I still get matches that are laggy and rollbacking (Not as bad as before, but still there and screwing me up).

People have asked if it's maybe my computer, but I doubt it because the game runs perfectly fine in offline mode. Both on Arcade and Training.

So I'm not sure what is going on, can someone help me?

EDIT: Thanks to Mike Z, the lag has disapeared. Thank you so much bro!

Last edited:
Are you playing in fullscreen mode with 2d backgrounds?

ummm
Then I'm going to assume you've also tried playing with skype/your internet browser closed.

You could try going into your task manager and setting the priority to high on skullgirls when you play.

ummm
Then I'm going to assume you've also tried playing with skype/your internet browser closed.

You could try going into your task manager and setting the priority to high on skullgirls when you play.

Hm, I could try closing skype. That's the only one I didn't close.

But would setting the priority higher really make online better?

Nope it's still there. Idk what's causing it. Someone I play has 63 ping, green and recommending 1-2. The game suddenly becomes a jittery rollback mess near the end.

I play the game with a 6Mbps connection and it runs fine maybe your computer is weak, does it even have a graphics card? If you have a modern processor those integrated graphics are usually pretty okay but old processors have terrible integrated graphics.

That's sorta all I know and I'm not too sure about it.

I play the game with a 6Mbps connection and it runs fine maybe your computer is weak, does it even have a graphics card? If you have a modern processor those integrated graphics are usually pretty okay but old processors have terrible integrated graphics.

That's sorta all I know and I'm not too sure about it.

How does that effect online play though? Like I said, the game runs perfectly fine on Offline.

You don't have your computer processing the other persons moves and it isn't carried through an internet connection where it would have to processes that too when you are offline. I don't really know to be honest.

Online multiplayer is a little harder to run CPU-wise than offline play. That being said, a lot of Skullgirls multiplayer problems can be caused by port forwarding (or lack thereof). If you don't have these ports opened, it can cause serious issues:

Code:
UDP 6000-6009 (Incoming/Outgoing)
TCP 7000 (Outgoing)

These are the ports for GGPO, the networking library that Skullgirls was built on. The GGPO website says these ports ARE required for games that use it. I haven't seen this info in a lot of Skullgirls-related places, so hopefully it helps.

Edit: He said in the OP that his ports are open, I just made a derp.

Last edited:
A lot of Skullgirls multiplayer problems can be caused by port forwarding (or lack thereof). If you don't have these ports opened, it can cause serious issues:

Code:
UDP 6000-6009 (Incoming/Outgoing)
TCP 7000 (Outgoing)

These are the ports for GGPO, the networking library that Skullgirls was built on. The GGPO website says these ports ARE required for games that use it. I haven't seen this info in a lot of Skullgirls-related places, so hopefully it helps.

If this post does help you, please let me know. Or just like it, whatever.

So for a long while, I had been suffering at the hands of PC lag for SkullGirls. Originally I was on wireless due to some circumstances, so yeah I assume lag was going to happen.

Recently I had picked up a 200mbps powerlan adapter, and now I'm am fully connected with a wired connection. Here is the speedtest.net evalutation of my web:

http://www.speedtest.net/my-result/2991832233

The highest the download speed is about 31mbps is what I get with 8mbps upload. This is extremely better than what I had. I have even opened up all the ports for both steam and GGPO.

Don't forget he also mentioned that using the internet for the game also uses CPU. So it's possible that you don't have the processing power for it.
(Which is why I'd really like to know your computer's specifications.)

I'm sure someone who is actually knowledgeable in this will answer someday.

Don't forget he also mentioned that using the internet for the game also uses CPU. So it's possible that you don't have the processing power for it.

I'm sure someone how is actually knowledgeable in this will answer someday.

Oh I just saw that he added that.

Oh, I missed that you had the ports opened already. Derp. I help a lot of people out with stuff like this, and you'd be surprised how many people don't know what port forwarding is. (Or maybe not, since you're familiar with it yourself.)

Yeah, I edited that in, but not fast enough since it doesn't appear where he quoted me. CPU could definitely be an issue. What processor are you running the game on? (Right click on "Computer" and click "Properties" to see.)

That's not a terrible CPU. I see no reason why it would have trouble with Skullgirls. What graphics hardware are you running? (You can see that in Device manager, which can be found by searching for it in the Start Menu. Graphics hardware should be listed under "Display Adapters".)

Have you tried updating your graphics drivers? I know it isn't an intuitive solution, but in my experience, outdated drivers can cause weird bottlenecks sometimes. You can get them here if you need them.

Have you tried updating your graphics drivers? I know it isn't an intuitive solution, but in my experience, outdated drivers can cause weird bottlenecks sometimes. You can get them here if you need them.

I'm trying to update it, but it says my computer doesn't have the minimum requirements to update.

This is a laptop, right? Do you know what the model number is? It's probably on a sticker on the bottom.

Knowing the brand would also be helpful to me.

This is a laptop, right? Do you know what the model number is? It's probably on a sticker on the bottom.

Knowing the brand would also be helpful to me.

It is a desktop....

Studio Slim 540s

My FPS is fine in Quick Matches, but I get random FPS drops in Lobby matches. I'll post my specs here:

Laptop: eMachines g730ZG
Graphics Card: ATI Mobility Radeon HD 5470
CPU: Intel(R) Pentium(R) CPU P6100 @ 2.00GHz
Windows 7 64bit

Last edited:
It is a desktop....

Studio Slim 540s
That error can be caused by your OEM drivers rejecting the vanilla Intel drivers. I went onto the Dell website and fetched the current OEM driver. Try going to this page and downloading the third driver listed under "Video".

http://www.dell.com/support/drivers/us/en/22/Product/studio-slim#

It should be called "Intel Q43/Q45/G43/G45 (Eaglelake) Graphics Controller, v.15.9.9.1527, A02"

That error can be caused by your OEM drivers rejecting the vanilla Intel drivers. I went onto the Dell website and fetched the current OEM driver. Try going to this page and downloading the third driver listed under "Video".

http://www.dell.com/support/drivers/us/en/22/Product/studio-slim#

It should be called "Intel Q43/Q45/G43/G45 (Eaglelake) Graphics Controller, v.15.9.9.1527, A02"

I tried........it says operating system not supported.

Maybe your BIOS needs an update too?

Well at least you got Jim there.

Edit: oh wait no that's probably an OS thing (there's probably an older driver around for whatever you're running)

Maybe your BIOS needs an update too?

Well at least you got Jim there.

Hopefully, that won't be necessary. We should try the "have disk" method first. What version of Windows are you using? And, for the record, is it 32 bit or 64 bit? (visible in Computer Properties)

Hopefully, that won't be necessary. We should try the "have disk" method first. What version of Windows are you using? And, for the record, is it 32 bit or 64 bit? (visible in Computer Properties)

Windows 7 Ultimate 64-bit

Where do I find the drivers files?
Wherever you unpacked them. Most browsers put downloads in the [Your Name]/Downloads folder. If you still can't find the driver, just redownload it and extract it directly into your C: drive.

Wherever you unpacked them. Most browsers put downloads in the [Your Name]/Downloads folder. If you still can't find the driver, just redownload it and extract it directly into your C: drive.

Well when I tried extracting the exe, it didn't because of the not having minimum requirements thing

Okay this is a long shot, but do you have any....."less than legitimate" software on your system (OS / games / programs / anything)? Sometimes those types of software will do stuff which slow things down, in a covert level.

You don't have to answer that question btw.... I'm just throwing this out there.

Oh so you got the powerline adapter? Awesome

I'm glad it helped with everything... except Skullgirls. At least you aren't the only one feeling the pain. I get the same issue playing wireless. It's random, but it happens too often with perfectly green pings.

Powerline is pretty good but it is susceptible to interference. Also it works like a hub so the more PC's you connected they will rapidly degrade the network performance because of collisions.

I have a Q6600 2.4Ghz rev G0 myself and OC@3.2Ghz running with W7 x64 Works fine for me. Maybe it is the GPU. I use a Gainward Phantom 2 Geforce 560 TI 2048 DDR5. Also big tip turn off aero and also windows auto updates. These are things that take up loads of resources and also run permanantly in the backgroud. Turn your AV either off or to Gaming mode if you have that available. You could also preferably add skullgirls as an application to the av list of things to filter out.(Pretty sure it won`t help much though) Also Borderless Fullscreen has a huge performance boost in comparison to normal Fullscreen. Maybe i can help you figure out what the issue might be. You can ask away on irc maybe we can dwindle down the problems and get to the root of the issue and figure out a soloution. Just let me know. I`d gladly help out.

I'm also having problems and I don't know what to do cause I'm stupid when it comes to computers... My specs:
Windows 7
Intel (R) core (TM) i7 cpu q740 @1.73 ghz

6.00 gb ram
750gb harddrive
64 bit os
Nvidia GeForce GT 425M version 296.10

So... Yeah when I got off work about 2 weeks ago and started playing online, it had some lag, as to be expected, but lately.... Just after the spectator patch went live on the beat... I've had unplayable lag in the form of characters warping all over the screen.

Now I know my computer is no longer top of the line, and I know my internet connection is only passable on good days. But the warping and stuff is as if I'm playing 180-200 ping games on console,but my opponents generally have between 80-120 ping depending on who I play.
And it's just warping around. I've set my ggpo delay all the way up to 4 delay on 120 ping games and nothing happens... Still a choppy unplayable mess, and the rollbacks on PC are quite jarring cause instead of actual rollbacks like in hd remix... On PC for me, characters are literally just telewarping all over the place...it's like trying to fight x men's night crawler... And it's just horrible. It seems to have gotten worse and worse with the release of every subsequent patch.

So... I'm using wired. It's not helping. I do. To have my ports forwarded as far as my on my computer goes (cause I don't know how to forward them) but I do have my ports forwarded on my router.

I just don't know what to do, it's always an unplayable laggy jittery mess nowadays online but it plays perfectly offline. I have it running fullscreen with 2d backgrounds on though it would run fine with 3d backgrounds. Windows update is off.my opponents say that the matches are smooth for them so it's a me problem...

Is there anything I can do? And if so could somebody walk my dumb ass through it? Would totally be appreciated... I'm getting withdrawals cause I refuse to play in such terrible conditions I can t finish my combos at all nor can I really even track my opponents characters well.

And once again... It wasn't like this before the patches. It used to work fine. But now... Nope it's shit.

Pls pls pls help

An update on my situation: So I can run the game 60fps perfect offline and certain people I can play perfectly 60FPS online. Doing Fullscreen instead of borderless fullscreen also helped a bit.

I also highly suggest running malwarebytes or spybot and check if you have any sort of maleware installed. If you're unlucky you might have something running in the background that can immensivly reduce performance/playability.

These would be my port range rules.
screen_3e16ff140c5f6dc3cfbf78f743b8d925

Last edited by a moderator: