• As part of the relaunch of Skullheart, ALL previous threads have been archived. You can find them at the bottom of the forum in the Archives (2021) section. The archives are locked, so please use the new forum sections to create new discussion threads.

PC version lag that won't go away (SOLVED)

@gluemchen
How do I get to those screens where I can change the ports? Sorry for being a computer dumb.

I also highly suggest running malwarebytes or spybot and check if you have any sort of maleware installed. If your unlucky you might have something running in the background that can immensivly reduce performance/playability.

These would be my port range rules.
screen_3e16ff140c5f6dc3cfbf78f743b8d925

what is RTMP/E and RTMFP?

@Dime_x If your internet connection does not go through a router. You need to set this under windows. Otherwise if you do have a router, it is hardware specific. You need to search for your hardware brand and model type on the internet and search which local ip is set up on the router to access the userinterface. Most of the time it is web browser based. If you have a manual for your router it should be in there.

@BrandX+ My bad those two protocols have nothing to do with steam or ggpo. I added those to test some things concerning streaming on twitch.
Ignore the last two.

I get brutal lag independent of ping (I've run cmd-ping probably 1000 times to find a correlation).

My hardware is incredibly capable of handling this game, and it is almost exclusive to this game ie I don't get it in other games.

Due to this, I am under the impression it is my opponents' connections.

Is this possibly caused by people not port forwarding since it is locally hosted?

It is becoming unplayable.

Reactions: gluemchen
I get brutal lag independent of ping (I've run cmd-ping probably 1000 times to find a correlation).

My hardware is incredibly capable of handling this game, and it is almost exclusive to this game ie I don't get it in other games.

Due to this, I am under the impression it is my opponents' connections.

Is this possibly caused by people not port forwarding since it is locally hosted?

It is becoming unplayable.

I'm having the same vibe here it being locally hosted. The game does not seem to take the necassary ports into account.

So for a long while, I had been suffering at the hands of PC lag for SkullGirls. Originally I was on wireless due to some circumstances, so yeah I assume lag was going to happen.

Recently I had picked up a 200mbps powerlan adapter, and now I'm am fully connected with a wired connection. Here is the speedtest.net evalutation of my web:

http://www.speedtest.net/my-result/2991832233

The highest the download speed is about 31mbps is what I get with 8mbps upload. This is extremely better than what I had. I have even opened up all the ports for both steam and GGPO.

But even so, with green ping, I still get matches that are laggy and rollbacking (Not as bad as before, but still there and screwing me up).

People have asked if it's maybe my computer, but I doubt it because the game runs perfectly fine in offline mode. Both on Arcade and Training.

So I'm not sure what is going on, can someone help me?

I think then problem may be in game server.You can try playing another online game.If the same problem occurs.Reset the Modem ....Un plug the connections,then plugin.You can check the ping using the methods below before playing the game and while playing the game...sure you can find is the problem in connection or in the website.You can check the Ping of the Internet Connection easily...To check Local LAN Connection Ping by using the Following method
GO to start->run->cmd->Ping ip-address
or you need to check Ping for website from your computer means you can reach here Whoisxy.com and do the Ping test for yahoo,Google etc...

So long time ago, I brought up the problem of Frame Skipping, Rollback and lag. This is video evidence of what keeps happening to me everytime I play someone, regardless of Ping or connection:

Reactions: ClarenceMage
I'm at wit's end here.

I'm on wireless, but when I ping there is little to no problem. The occasional ping spike here and there... whatever, no biggie.

I boot up Skullgirls (and possibly other games), my ping spikes huge. 600ms, 1000ms, occasionally 2000+ms. This obviously makes a fighting game 100% unplayable, and it doesn't help for other games either.

Any idea why booting up a game can cause my internet to start to suck?

My GPU definitely needs replaced (I think I've got a few more months until it shits itself completely), but as far as I know, that has zero to do with internet speeds. Aside from that, my rig is pretty solid.

I complained about my FPS slowdown problems months ago, but now I seem to have stable Lobby matches after buying a 20 EUR Laptop Cooler. My FPS slowdowns were from the laptop overheating.

So long time ago, I brought up the problem of Frame Skipping, Rollback and lag. This is video evidence of what keeps happening to me every time I play someone, regardless of Ping or connection:

Was the source of this lag ever found? I get lag in the similar vein as this video. I don't get it every game. I could play the same person 10x in a row and probably 60% of the games would be unplayable, and the others are as perfect as GGPO will ever get. Its nearly always bad when there is a spec. The state of my network didn't change. Also, its either a playable game, from the start of the game to the end, or teleports from start to finish.

Also, its not uncommon for one player to have a completely unplayable experience, and the other player gets no teleports whatsoever.

How do I fix this? Is the netcode just broken?

It's a long shot, but I noticed that both of the people that provided specs are running a 64-bit OS. Dime didn't give that info but from the toher specs it seems likely that he's running the same. If so, it could be one of those situations where things that should work just as well on x64 just don't because of some tiny wrinkle in the OS design.

Another thought, though it's probably outdated, is that the x64 stuff could be why Brand was getting incompatible OS errors.

I've been encountering similar online problems recently too, on a 64 bit OS as well. Windows 8 64 bit.

It was fine a while ago though and it isn't ALL connections, however some of the best connections, around 40 ping that I used to have are causing this problem now.

I couldn't say for sure but I'd guess it would be 3/4 weeks its been happening for now.

Are you all port forwarded? I'm half convinced that this game (well... GGPO) requires port forwarding (despite most games not needing it).

Port forwarded a LONG time ago, still really awful at times.

I'm at wit's end here.

I'm on wireless, but when I ping there is little to no problem. The occasional ping spike here and there... whatever, no biggie.

I boot up Skullgirls (and possibly other games), my ping spikes huge. 600ms, 1000ms, occasionally 2000+ms. This obviously makes a fighting game 100% unplayable, and it doesn't help for other games either.

Any idea why booting up a game can cause my internet to start to suck?

My GPU definitely needs replaced (I think I've got a few more months until it shits itself completely), but as far as I know, that has zero to do with internet speeds. Aside from that, my rig is pretty solid.

Get a wired connection is the first step.

I don't know if it's an internet connection problem. I've done speedtest and pingtest and both say my internet is fine. Idk what causes this unplayable lag in most of my SG PC games. I'm wired too. I'm not losing packets. It randomly sometimes wants to work in some matches and the other times it doesn't.

Are you all port forwarded? I'm half convinced that this game (well... GGPO) requires port forwarding (despite most games not needing it).
That's something I probably should have mentioned, but yes I am. I can play other GGPO games with no worries whatsoever.

Reactions: No longer exist
Get a wired connection is the first step.

Sadly my money tree is drying up and apartment living isn't the dream people make it out to be.

Though I have just moved to a powerline adapter and so far, so good. Time will tell.

Sadly my money tree is drying up and apartment living isn't the dream people make it out to be.

Though I have just moved to a powerline adapter and so far, so good. Time will tell.

I've been using a powerline adapter, but I still have this problem...

I've been using a powerline adapter, but I still have this problem...

Mine seemed to be a packetloss issue associated with the wireless. The powerline gave me quite a few games of lag free Skullgirls which is unheard of.

That said, I think there is something wrong with SG/GGPO/something. I was playing a few games last night and I or the other person (occasionally both of us) would get lag but DOTA ran flawlessly. Though I'm still a few days/weeks out from declaring my LAN error free, but if yesterday was any indication my issue now seems to be with Skullgirls almost exclusively.

@Vadsamoht , I am also running x64 (Win7 to be exact), so you may be on to something.

@Mike_Z , not expecting a magic solution or anything, but is it possible that we're on the right track with this x64 thing?

My development machine (the toaster and this one) is Win7 64-bit so I doubt that's a thing.

I have one single idea to try, but a question first:
Do the people playing getting lag have really GOOD computers? As in, can run with zero lag while doing 3x DHCs on both sides etc. It maaaaay be that there is a bug if your computer is significantly BETTER than your opponent's, but this needs to get tested.

Things to keep in mind:
- Ping has basically nothing to do with variation in game quality, that's determined by the jitter of your connection. Which IS made 100x worse by using any wireless connection, you or the opponent, due to how wireless sends data. So playing on wireless and complaining = not getting listened to because wireless is your first problem regardless of how much you insist it isn't.
- Saying "SG works poop but other game vs same opponent works great" is also completely meaningless. They are making separate socket connections - which could theoretically even follow completely different routes - or they could use different methods of bundling up data to send, SG could have a slightly higher or lower bandwidth requirement than the other game, and they could be using different methods of hiding lag. (DOTA certainly does, because in any game that's got a thing like a bullet or a spell in between you and your opponent, you can hide lag much more effectively than games which are required to support fast direct character-to-character interaction.) Comparing SG to other games using GGPO (ST, etc) is about as close as you can come to a valid comparison, but still not hugely valid.
- It could also just be that your ISP bunches up data much the same way that wireless does, which will contribute to crap gameplay.

Actually, you guys, do something for me.

Run the beta with -log enabled.
Make sure you delete the log (in MyDocs/Skullgirls I think) before you run the game, and PLEASE make it so that run game -> have bad rollbacky game online -> quit are the only things you do.
Post up the log on pastebin and link it here, I want to see if you're getting lots of GGPO_EVENTCODE_TIMESYNC's.

If it helps any, I can confirm that the recent lag I've encountered tends to be worse with opponents very close to me; any sub-50 ping guys regardless of whether we use 0 or 1 delay. Part of why it's so aggravating/counter-intuitive, since our connections used to be golden.

I'll test and log it with Satan/FecalFeast tonight since we can reproduce it pretty consistently.

Actually, you guys, do something for me.

Run the beta with -log enabled.
Make sure you delete the log (in MyDocs/Skullgirls I think) before you run the game, and PLEASE make it so that run game -> have bad rollbacky game online -> quit are the only things you do.
Post up the log on pastebin and link it here, I want to see if you're getting lots of GGPO_EVENTCODE_TIMESYNC's.

243 of them over the course of five or so matches?
Link; my log file was too big for pastebin.

From the latest patch notes:
Added
-ggpotimingfix
option, maybe it fixes online. If you are having lag issues, please add -ggpotimingfix (including the hyphen) to your Launch Options and see if it helps! (When it is enabled there is a blue box at the top of the screen. That's temp, so you can KNOW it's on.)

EDIT: DAMN IT, MIKE.

Reactions: Hilary
What exactly does the fix do? I didn't use it because I didn't have this one sided lag problem however I just fought against someone that was using it and I was having slightly choppy gameplay. No ggpo teleports but it wasn't as good as it used to be. Maybe it was just my internet however it's midnight here so I doubt it.

Regardless if I'll just use the fix from next time on and see if it helps.

I also feel the GGPO implementation on SG is weaker than the GGPO client used to play those arcade games like 3rd Strike and KoF98, rarely does it get really choppy on that unless there really are problems.

So, I just had a couple of games against DDB with the -ggpotimingfix, here are the results. FYI - we're both east coast NA players and our ping is about 120.

Previously we had very inconsistent matches. Some were perfectly stable, others were constant rollback hell.

GGPO Fix on for both players - The game feels fine on my end, very stable. DDB says the game is giving him slowdown and messing with his inputs (could have just been the slowdown messing with his execution), but very few rollbacks.

GGPO Fix on for just myself - The game still feels fine on my end. DDB says the game is giving him a lot of rollbacks. We later tested our FPS, while playing online my Fraps said 57fps for the first second or two of the match, and then was rock solid at 60 for the rest of the game. DDB got several FPS drops, down as low as 30fps in some cases. It seemed like in matches where his FPS dropped more, the rollbacks were worse.

DDB indicated to me that his PC is a toaster.
My PC is more than qualified to run SG.

That's the results we got for maybe 10 matches so take the 'data' with a grain of salt.

My results so far.

Against @Night Phyre, using ggpotimingfix on myself, resulted in the lag completely disappearing. There is occasional jittering and input delay, but it rarely happens and doesn't last long. Games are 97% better now. Same with @Uzumakihero too.

Before without -ggpotimingfix, the games lagged horribly on my side.

Reactions: Uzumakihero and Kai
Some explanation:
On PC there is frameskip, so if your game takes longer than 1/60th of a second to render the frame, it will skip rendering the next one so the game continues to run at 60fps. (That's not QUITE how it works but whatever, short explanation.)
GGPO itself during matches occasionally detects that your computer is ahead of the other computer, and will make the game wait for a small period of time so they can catch up.
These two things are incompatible when they don't know about each other - if GGPO says "wait!" then the frameskip code says "that frame took a long time!" and the fact that GGPO had you wait simply results in a skipped frame or two, which eliminates the time just spent waiting and preserves the computers being out of sync...which makes GGPO wait even more later, etc.

This option makes it so that if GGPO says "wait!" the frameskip code knows about it, and will ignore that wait time in the calculation of whether it's running at 60 or not, so if GGPO makes you wait, you really wait. (This WILL result in a framerate less than 60 if your computer is ahead, since it will foreals wait. In this case, that's correct behavior.)
It stands to reason that this is more of a problem with people who have good computers since they end up "wait!"ing much more frequently than the people with toasters.

Problem is, it needs to apply to EVERYONE because the conditions on both sides HAVE to be the same. So testing with one side on and one off isn't a good thing, test with BOTH ON please!
[edit] Please test with both sides on, but the reason it's an option is so that it CAN be tested, rather than forcing everyone to use something that might have been busted. :^)

I won't be home for another day or so, but mikes explanation makes perfect sense. I don't own a top of the line computer anymore... But my specs are still quite good with the only suspect piece being my graphics card.... Having said that, I won't be home to test this for a day or 2 so pls wait and gather lots of evidence... I've had it to my wits end with stuff warping around and my opponents almost unanimously saying they don't have the problem... With the exception being Clarence Mage. Who may just have the best computer...anywho if I'm reading this right the hypothesis is that people with the lower lever computers will stutter/warp around less than there opponents with better computers since the better computers are constantly waiting for the lesser computers to catch up.

I did the ggpo fix. It seems to have worked, but I was only able to get maybe 5 or so games in (between work and school, I'm lucky to get any), so it is far from conclusive.

I'll keep at it though.

Thanks for the response.

I tried the ggpo fix, and haven't seen a single slideshow match since (previously, they were probably about 1/4th of my matches). Two thumbs up, would choose that setting again!

Reactions: Tomo009
I haven't played Skullgirls for the past month, due to 4/5 of my matches being unplayably laggy. I played for a few hours today with -ggpotimingfix and every match ran great at 0 delay.

Reactions: Tomo009
Played earlier today with the -ggpotimingfix and it was pretty much perfect

Played without it first, cause I didn't know there was a problem. Tons of lag. Put in the fix, works perfect again.