• As part of the relaunch of Skullheart, ALL previous threads have been archived. You can find them at the bottom of the forum in the Archives (2021) section. The archives are locked, so please use the new forum sections to create new discussion threads.

Poll: Are the Beta changes ready for prime-time?

Should the Beta IPS/undizzy/counterhit changes be implemented into the Real Game?

• Yes! RIGHT NOW.

Votes: 112 34.6%
  • Yes, but wait and put them in with Big Band.

Votes: 54 16.7%
  • No. I don't like them / they need further work.

Votes: 116 35.8%
  • I don't care. I will continue playing/avoiding the game the same amount either way.

Votes: 42 13.0%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
Status
Not open for further replies.
I can't help but look at this thread and wonder how some of you managed to put up with vanilla and SDE.
I had severe health problems that prevented me from competing back then.

Probably the easiest way to settle this is just have @Broken Loose play a set with @Shin ATproof and whoever wins, @Mike_Z puts that player's preferred changes into the game.
First-to-five may not be a very good way to make design decisions, but I do think that's totally how we should settle 15-page arguments on Skullheart.

I can't help but look at this thread and wonder how some of you managed to put up with vanilla and SDE.
Unlike Marvel 3 which is a near lost cause for any future patches, Skullgirls always seemed a likely possibility for future patches since release to amend any "issues" that may arise so there is always that optimistic attitude in the air that if they stuck around long enough the game might evolve to something closer to their ideal version of Skullgirls.

That and some people also enjoy the characters, art style, story, etc enough for them to keep coming back despite a questionable game mechanics that they don't personally agree with.

Well Squigly edition was the first version I played.

2. If Shin is supposed to be Skullgirl's savior, god help us all.

I try to be as much of an asshole as possible as to start beefs and rivalries. I suggest everyone adopt this philosophy. Let's be the first community that has fist fights regularly after each set on stream.

I try to be as much of an asshole as possible as to start beefs and rivalries. I suggest everyone adopt this philosophy. Let's be the first community that has fist fights regularly after each set on stream.
First?

Reactions: POS Industries
We will never be on the same level as MvC2 when some player got banned for threatening a player with a knife. And I think I would rather have it stay that way.

Dime is Aus actually
We're only going to be able to afford the cheapest expedia rates, so Dime's going to have a layover in Germany. It will take him roughly 3 weeks to get to the US, but at least we'll save a hundred bucks.

Reactions: blufang
Real talk? Your rushdown is so fucking bad that Mike Z patched rounds out of the game. You managed to make a 1v1 set take so long that it caused SF4 players to bitch about the length of a Skullgirls tournament. Other commentators on later streams were talking shit about how long your set was taking. If you had any clue what momentum really was, it was limited to only the words out of your mouth and not your actual play, because god damn you managed to make the most momentum-based character in the game look like she was in P4A.

You heard it here folks! According to Broken Loose, if you play passively, you don't understand pressure.

Real rap, son, that Skullgirls tournament was long in general. 3 man teams, best of 3 matches and double elimination. We were also at a venue where people thought SG is a joke. And you say my set with KidPanda is the sole reason people complained about the length of the entire tournament? LOL try harder with the insults, kid and I make no apologies in my play that night. I work hard to have a better neutral and defense than many Skullgirls players and with what a lot of people consider the worst character to play as solo. Simply because I don't play like people such as yourself who just run in and push buttons riding on your assists doesn't mean I don't understand pressure game. AFAIK having downs rather than individual rounds was something Mike wanted all along since he also likes Vampire Savior and Killer Instinct and they have influenced this game as much as MvC2. The reason why we're seeing continuous rounds now is he has been long trying to figure out to program it into the game.

If anything, if my match was the reason for Mike now making a great change to the game, then I can confidently say I've had far more positive impact and influence in this game than some shit talking online warrior nobody like you.

Gettin a little personal in here.

Probably the easiest way to settle this is just have @Broken Loose play a set with @Shin ATproof and whoever wins, @Mike_Z puts that player's preferred changes into the game.

LOL I genuinely laughed at this. I can envision Mike just laughing going "this isn't going to change anything, btw since you're both terrible at this game :^)"

Reactions: Viro Veteruscy
Fedora fisticuffs. Fedoracuffs.
Man I almost want to say that we are hella off-topic but the poll is basically done so....

Reactions: DARKNESSxEAGLE
As much as I'm not the biggest fan of the changes, Mike is going to have to try a lot harder for me to drop the game. Even beta SG is way better than every other fighting game out there for me. That being said, if these changes do end up happening can we please not change the game until all the DLC characters are out? I remember Mike saying that he didn't want to patch this game too much, and to let the game grow and develop itself. The result of that were SDE and MDE patches. Now I'm not going to say something as retarded as Vanilla was amazing and it should've stayed like that, but I personally think the rate that we should be getting patches should be much slower than the current rate. Basically what this means is outside of GAMEBREAKING GLITCHES, anything considered too good, too unbalanced, cheap, "broken", or whatever word you use to describe strong tactics just simply have to be dealt with. As in everyone is fine, no one needs buffs, the mechanics in the game is fine, and this entire game is fine. Nothing needs to be changed, nothing needs to be tweaked, no one is overpowered, so no one needs nerfs. As in if the combos are too short for you, deal with it, and if the combos are too long still, deal with it.

For those who want a summary to avoid reading the paragraph above, regardless of what happens with this next patch, please never change the game again. I'd rather not play something i know is going to drastically change in 6-9 months.

Actually its the complete opposite people look at this game and see really bad play. There are very few well played matches and most matches you see are just to inexperienced players going at it, not very hype. Im not trying to call people out but this is a fact not my opinion.

The poorly played matches are often more interesting.

Watching the highest level of play is super turtle into updo into confirm into huge combo, repeat.

Snip

In most cases, character balance patches are going to be inevitable the moment another character gets thrown into the equation. Can shake up the established previous 'balance' like a chemical reaction gone wrong when a sudden element is thrown into the mix.

Ideally it would be great if there were less changes so often, but the DLC characters are being added in steady pace of 'one-by-one' instead of an 'all-at-once' format. Each added character most likely going to have follow-up changes after release since the developer can't be 100% sure if initial version of X is balanced or not after extended live play.

This could also potentially result in other characters getting balance changes as a response of other changes happening via a domino effect (Example: Assist Scaling addition resulted into slight Solo Ratio Damage/Health Nerf). I doubt the semi-often gameplay tweaking will stop until at least all of the IGG DLC characters are added before things calm down again.

Good news though is any potential changes most likely will be isolated in the beta first until it would be deemed 'ready' or not for real version.

Watching the highest level of play is super turtle into updo into confirm into huge combo, repeat.

Wait are you saying that the neutral game is boring?
I thought we wanted more neutral game.
More neutral game is interesting and good for new players/spectators isn't it?

Poorly played matches are often more interesting wut

snip
I feel one of the things NRS does right is staying on the ball about balance tweaks, although it tends to be more necessary for them given how much trouble they have balancing their characters from the outset. But then I also feel that's balancing for different reasons than something that would greatly change the landscape of the game for the whole roster like a general combo mechanic change like is being discussed here, obviously. Character balance is always going to need poked around with, but I do agree that such a massive overhaul like this should only be done rarely.

I'm in favor of the changes, but I'm with you on the fact that I won't be dropping the game or anything regardless of what IPS we end up with and when. But if it gets done, it either needs to be now or after Evo because anything in between is going to cause more problems for tournaments until the current tourney season is over.

Reactions: Broseidon Rex

I think I also said "into updo into confirm into huge combo", no? Don't nit-pick quotes.

Yes, I think more neutral is better and will benefit the game more than less neutral.

That doesn't stop invuln assists being so strong that the game is turtle-y as fuck until one confirms.

You could legitimately fix one issue and still have the other issue be... an issue.

snip
I must say, whether or not this patch gets in it would be nice for it to stay the same for a long time, when even the higher level players are saying the players (themselves included) are generally bad/not amazing at the game and people are striving to improve the changes really don't help that, it's like having to go over the first year of trying to grab people all over again and it hinders the internal community too.

I don't like the way you Bella. MM me at NEC!
I second this, I want to see Zidiane money match Winnie. Or at the very least play a set against him

Disagree, watching crappy players isn't interesting at all; watching good players is actually when you see the neutral game played well. And playing behind your assists will always be strong at the highest level of play because this is a team game, there's something called assist punishing that allows you to blow up the opponent's attempted up-do confirms.

Last edited:
I just want to let you know I don't care too much about SG's neutral game cause that is not its focus. You can't have it all, and I feel the other aspects of SG allow the lack of neutral game. A friend of mine says he thought SG had the worst neutral game in an FG ever, but he doesn't want the game to change because he feels that is not the point of SG and what makes it fun. He likes the high stakes gameplay.

Reactions: Icky, NOX and Dime
Neutral game is actually more important than you'd think it would be.
It's the reason chris g could beat the majority of people in that teams tournament without even playing the game.

Not necessarily saying it was great but he sure wasn't going in and doing long combos on people to win.

No characters are the same, but all of them sans Peacock try to rush in and do a TOD combo usually behind a safe assist. More neutral would allow the differences in character types to come through much more.
This is pretty old, but I've got to say, the game really doesn't play out like that at all. The characters in this game are all VERY different.

Reactions: Icky and View619
Im going to bring up a topic that has not been discussed yet and most of you don't care about because you have a pc. Is this change going to affect the release of the console patch. Im afraid that the console patch will be delayed further if we implement any new changes now. Im getting tired of waiting and just want to play MDE on console. No changes to IPS, Undizzy, anything just the MDE that everyone else already has. I honestly don't care about any changes until I can play the game so just give me a console patch please.

This is all I want, no bullshit just something to play.

I don't mean to hawk down on you, but people who say this keep looking at just the assist calls and not what good players are doing to get around and deal with those assist calls. They don't pay attention to the counter calling, the lock outs, baiting calls, or the players who don't use Updo or Pillar and do perfectly fine (OmniSScythe). Like View said, of course assists are going to be a large part of neutral... it's a team game. Of course if one or both opponents are getting hit constantly by DP assists, then of course it'll turn into "call Updo and confirm". What about those matches where both sides actually know how to deal with assists, though?

Im going to bring up a topic that has not been discussed yet and most of you don't care about because you have a pc. Is this change going to affect the release of the console patch. Im afraid that the console patch will be delayed further if we implement any new changes now. Im getting tired of waiting and just want to play MDE on console. No changes to IPS, Undizzy, anything just the MDE that everyone else already has. I honestly don't care about any changes until I can play the game so just give me a console patch please.

This is all I want, no bullshit just something to play.
It likely won't affect how soon the patch comes, but if people apparently want the change to come out with Big Band it'll divide the community again for a few months.

Since a change in general is likely, I'd rather it happen to both versions simultaneously and as soon as possible.

I don't mean to hawk down on you, but people who say this keep looking at just the assist calls and not what good players are doing to get around and deal with those assist calls. They don't pay attention to the counter calling, the lock outs, baiting calls, or the players who don't use Updo or Pillar and do perfectly fine (OmniSScythe). Like View said, of course assists are going to be a large part of neutral... it's a team game. Of course if one or both opponents are getting hit constantly by DP assists, then of course it'll turn into "call Updo and confirm". What about those matches where both sides actually know how to deal with assists, though?
Finally a good player says this, my word isn't trusted by anyone but I've been wanting this to get through a bunch of people's heads for a while.

Finally a good player says this, my word isn't trusted by anyone but I've been wanting this to get through a bunch of people's heads for a while.
I'm not even good, I just know how to play patiently, not to face check DP assists, throw people who downback + mash DP all day, and I actually play the game often (WHEN I HAD MY STICK ANYWAYS) and adapt instead of worrying about how strong/how long something is. Fuck pre-MDE catheads, though.
That, and very few people know how to play against Fortune. :D

Last edited:
That, and very few people know how to play against Fortune. :D
That's true. People would rather just bitch about Fortune and hope that she gets nerfed, yet I don't see Fortune players very often and see a lot of Filias.

What Khaos said, times a million, people need to go beyond what is just "jump block + call assist" and the real MVC2-esque play that needs to happen around those tactics, look at the characters and not just the assists.

Last edited:

I trust you Icky. ;_; honestly you have arguably made some of the simplest and best points in this entire thread.

But yeah I'm sorry but please enlighten on how to play Fortune, cause watching matches and playing against her myself I don't see it. She just seems slightly, ever so slightly, OP. *ducks in cover*

Reactions: Uzumakihero
I trust you Icky. ;_; honestly you have arguably made some of the simplest and best points in this entire thread.

But yeah I'm sorry but please enlighten on how to play Fortune, cause watching matches and playing against her myself I don't see it. She just seems slightly, ever so slightly, OP. *ducks in cover*
A wise man once gave me advice that let me play any character and win against any character, hit them, and don't get hit yourself. Godspeed my friend.

Reactions: KhaosMuffins
1. As far as how often this game should get patched, I think once MikeZ hits what he believes is closest to his initial vision then he should let that version play out for a long while. He's patching so often cause the game isn't what he wants it to be, not necessarily just cause of bugs or balance issues. Since he has to patch everytime a new DLC character is added, he probably figures this is an opportune time to experiment.

2. If Fortune is overpowered why isn't she played more? Why is Filia and Double played by near everyone including most high level players? I'd figure tournament players would all jump aboard Fortune if she was so overpowered.

2. If Fortune is overpowered why isn't she played more? Why is Filia and Double played by near everyone including most high level players? I'd figure tournament players would all jump aboard Fortune if she was so overpowered.
This is off topic but, people don't just play characters for power.

Status
Not open for further replies.