• As part of the relaunch of Skullheart, ALL previous threads have been archived. You can find them at the bottom of the forum in the Archives (2021) section. The archives are locked, so please use the new forum sections to create new discussion threads.

POLL: Keep Fukua in the game?

Should Fukua stay in the game?

• Yes!

Votes: 383 88.7%
  • Hell no!

Votes: 50 11.6%

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.
yes she should stay, but only if it doesnt open the floodgates for people demanding "slightly annoyed bella" or "reverse psychology peacock" or whatever, (which im sure wont happen)

1 clone is fine i think but any more than that and its not really a joke anymore tbh.

People don't really idle that much in this game. They're always jumping around doing stuff.
Fukua can't airdash, so there's that. And you won't have to worry about DPs at all with her. Finally, you can actually zone with Fukua's fireball.

Holding my vote until I have some time to actually sit down and work with her but from the streams I was watching she looks like a viable character that just needs a thorough spitshine. I like the look of some of her new moves and her flash-step super seems really cool to use. I can't think of any reason not to keep her in aside from the fact that I don't play Filia and if Fukua's not going to be too divergent I won't have much incentive to play her either.

Time will tell. Either way it was a funny idea by L0.

I'm still extremely neutral on the whole matter.
But on the whole I think the whole trolling with the Decapre shots have earned her a spot based on that alone.
Especially given the behavior about Decapre given by a certain user that shall not be named.

Plus, in all honesty I do like how this is another joke that was given extreme life, later on it could become a very fun/interesting concept when it's seriously worked on storywise, if at all.

I think her staying in as a vote is perfect. And though i dont really like joke characters just for the jokes themselves... A joke character that is actually good and pokes fun by laughing at capcoms decapre AS WELL AS being an awesome homage to dan himself (who was designed to poke fun at snk ripoff characters such as ryo) this is actually perfect.

The ONLY problem i have with this is that i want lab zero spending their time and our money making Eliza and Beowulf... Not making fukua and releasing trailers for her.

But its neither here nor there as long as Eliza through fortune come through. I'm just thinking about resources dedicated to balancing and designing fukuas move list being better spent on getting Eliza to us ASAP... Afterall she is the first vote poll character that WE picked, and she represents the first post vanilla character that i actually want to play (not that I'm being selfish or anything). :)

Fukua looks interesting though, and so if it doesnt squeeze resources to put her in the game, BALANCED, i see no reason why she cant be included... The dan/decapre joke will run out over time but it will have history to it and its the perfect way for labzero to get away with a clone character... Even her story of being a clone made by braindrain is perfect.

So i of course voted yes.

-edit

OH WOW... I DIDNT REALIZE SHE WAS ALREADY IN.... OF COURSE SHE SHOULD BE KEPT. DONT GIVE AND THEN TAKE AWAY. Balance will come and Eliza isnt even in beta stages right now so that should free up time for mike to balance her.

Best.april.fools.ever.

Last edited:
Holding my vote until I have some time to actually sit down and work with her but from the streams I was watching she looks like a viable character that just needs a thorough spitshine. I like the look of some of her new moves and her flash-step super seems really cool to use. I can't think of any reason not to keep her in aside from the fact that I don't play Filia and if Fukua's not going to be too divergent I won't have much incentive to play her either.

Time will tell. Either way it was a funny idea by L0.
Fukua appears to be a partial grappler. Make of that what you will.

Too fun lol. She doesn't need a story mode if it's not needed, but can make her a hidden Boss and have her trailer music play (love it) while fighting her and maybe an aura around her just to better see her when Filia has her as an assist (similar to Dark Talbain). And if she did have something story related can always say she got released when Valentine went to destroy Lab 8 or whatever. L0 is creative so they can come up with something better I'm sure >w<

Anyway, love the joke X3

Fukua appears to be a partial grappler. Make of that what you will.
Pretty much. She has a regular QCF cmd grab, armored QCB grab, and a Grab Lv5 that apparently inverts damage scaling. You can play her like Filia, if you want. Just adjust to the fact that you don't have an air dash, and you can zone properly now.

I'm really looking forward to seeing how Fukua develops in the long run.

The ONLY problem i have with this is that i want lab zero spending their time and our money making Eliza and Beowulf... Not making fukua and releasing trailers for her.

But its neither here nor there as long as Eliza through fortune come through. I'm just thinking about resources dedicated to balancing and designing fukuas move list being better spent on getting Eliza to us ASAP... Afterall she is the first vote poll character that WE picked, and she represents the first post vanilla character that i actually want to play (not that I'm being selfish or anything). :)
Well, problem with their time being spent or not, Mike already did it, so that isn't even an issue anymore. that's in the past. she's HERE.

I understand you want Eliza ASAP, but last i've heard, Eliza is stil having just her rough sketches drawn. If i'm thinking right, Mike can't do anything with Eliza until at least those are done, for the most part.

I voted no. It's a fun joke. But I think we should leave it at that. My following reasons:

1. Overall aesthetics are bad looking.

All of Fukua's moves are simply recycled assets of Filia with different mechanics, that's the joke. I know but that's why we should leave it as be. A lot of her animations are choppy and lacks consistent flow unlike Double whose animations are unique to her/it/whatever despite some moves being recycled. Now that I think about it, a lot of Double's moves are unique that no other character has. Like Luger Replica or Hornet Bomber. Granted Double inherited these animations but none of them seem tacked on or lack any sort of weight or believable thought that these are Double's moves and not just moves that didn't make the cut for the original characters. (Even though they are) Fukua is just too obvious of a copy and paste job that I feel she hurts the quality of the entire game. An extreme opinion? Maybe... maybe.

2. Clone characters suck. End of story.

I love the fact how every character in Skullgirls is completely unique. You may say something like "But Chicken Boo! She's a new character! People who criticize the game say that the game does not have enough characters!" And then I would say something like "Quantity is not the same as Quality" there's nothing wrong with a small character rosters. And games that have 40+ characters, well you only see about 8 of them ever used seriously anyway. When was the last time you saw Jill in a MvC3 major? Or a minor? Or in casual play? Or did you even know she was in the game in the first place?

3. Balancing and touch ups might take away from development resources

Fukua was not meant to be a serious character, if permanently added she'll have to be rebalanced and will DEFINITELY need some animation touch ups so she doesn't look so ugly and be given some visuals to look distinctive from Filia. Which might consume sweet precious development resources. Keep in mind, the Console players would want Fukua too and we all know how painless it was to get Squiggly on the console versions. All this work will most likely delay progress on other characters (as they'll have to be balanced with all the characters +Fukua) which is not worth it in my opinion.

Those are my feelings on the matter, =p

Last edited:
Fukua is fun! You caN't spell FukUa without fun... o.O'

I agree, Fukua should get like a hatred install glow. That would actually be pretty fucking badass.
And the aura could be palettized. FUCK YEAH.

And @Dime_x, Mike said it took him less than a week to pull this off. Don't really see what the problem with Fukua is, considering she was pieced together from existing assets. It's not like they gave her anything new from scratch; that's part of her charm.

Reactions: Lunerstep
I'm totally pro-Fukua. I was never really fond of Filia's playstyle in the first place, and frankly, while I understand that straight-up clones are generally bad, palette swaps (with unique moves) never really had the same effect on me. Maybe it's because of all that Mortal Kombat I played as a kid.

Right now, I think Fukua needs a bit of work, but for what we got she is friggin amazing. Just give her some visual tweaks and she'll be good to go.

Reactions: Lunerstep
Put her as a secret character and I'm all for keeping her. I don't want to see her being played in tournament though, but its not like typing of the skullgirls is a tournament mode.

47994766.jpg

I think her fireballs need something, just anything, subtle design wise as well. I dunno, they seem very placeholder-y.
I like the mini-hairballs. And I think the placeholder-y feeling adds to the lulzy charm. If we gave her anything legitimately new (from scratch), it'd take away from her "take jabs at Capcom" vibe.

I don't want to see her being played in tournament though.
I'm interesting to see how she works out in a tournament setting. As I said earlier, I'd love to see some Fukua on Rebel Up this weekend.

It would be amazing.

I like the mini-hairballs. And I think the placeholder-y feeling adds to the lulzy charm.
Can they be reshaped a bit? They look a bit squished at the moment.

Reactions: RetroStation
To be honest, I am netural on the matter. I think it's a bit silly that she's going to be a thing, but that doesn't mean I don't want her in the game. I like her playstyle, but she does need a bit of balancing. Overall, I don't care whether she makes it into the game or not. If she does, good for you. If she doesn't, oh well.

Put her as a secret character and I'm all for keeping her. I don't want to see her being played in tournament though, but its not like typing of the skullgirls is a tournament mode.
This actually brings up a great compromise:

Keep her, but only on Typing of the Skullgirls.

This actually brings up a great compromise:

Keep her, but only on Typing of the Skullgirls.
I'd rather she'd be a balanced character that everyone could play without some kind of secret, unless she was unlockable after beating everyone's story lines.

Well, I already spent a lot of time with her in training mode.... so please Mike-Zenpai don't take her out.
(but that jHK is way too ambiguous, lands in the front or in the back randomly, that needs to leave)

Why should Fukua be banned from tourney and/or reverted to secret character status? Outside of the homage appeal, it's an unnecessary hassle to input some secret code input every time you want to pick her.

The type mode is one thing because it's a side attraction that you don't really need to play to experience the main fighting game. An actual playable character is a different thing that shouldn't be shrouded in mystery for the sake of nostalgia.

Two reasons though for a legitimate tourney ban

1. The obvious reason being that she is plain broken gameplay balance wise. By "broken" I mean Turbo Akuma or Meta Knight status. That remains to be seen for day 1 stuff. Honestly feels regular Filia is still more reliable anyway. She still needs more polish though from aesthetics to gameplay attributes.

2. Temporary ban (kind of like with Big Band currently) because she came out too suddenly /not available on consoles/a tourney is close by. This is more an understandable reason because 1. She is not available to console players yet (big reason why BB is getting delayed for main PC release) and 2. Not enough prep time has passed for optimized play when you are playing and/or fighting her. However, after the above two conditions have been passed she should remain tourney legal like the other characters.

Why should Fukua be banned from tourney and/or reverted to secret character status? Outside of the homage appeal, it's an unnecessary hassle to input some secret code input every time you want to pick her.

The type mode is one thing because it's a side attraction that you don't really need to play to experience the main fighting game. An actual playable character is a different thing that shouldn't be shrouded in mystery for the sake of nostalgia.

Two reasons though for a legitimate tourney ban

1. The obvious reason being that she is plain broken gameplay balance wise. By "broken" I mean Turbo Akuma or Meta Knight status. That remains to be seen for day 1 stuff. Honestly feels regular Filia is still more reliable anyway. She still needs more polish though from aesthetics to gameplay attributes.

2. Temporary ban (kind of like with Big Band currently) because she came out too suddenly /not available on consoles/a tourney is close by. This is more an understandable reason because 1. She is not available to console players yet and 2. Not enough prep time has passed for optimized play when you are playing and/or fighting her. However, after the above two conditions have been passed she should remain tourney legal like the other characters.

There's also the fact that MikeZ put this character together in about a week (in a cave with a box of scraps). Don't get me wrong, the man knows fighting games, but I'm pretty positive that he didn't intend for Fukua to be a serious playable character. Any attempts to make her a serious playable character would require development resources and I literally just typed all this in a previous post, why am I doing it again? D=

Well, I already spent a lot of time with her in training mode.... so please Mike-Zenpai don't take her out.
(but that jHK is way too ambiguous, lands in the front or in the back randomly, that needs to leave)

Actually in a combo, you can jump upwards and hit them with it and it stops that problem. For some reason, jumping towards them and comboing with j.hk causes that weird cross up.

Also I find it silly that she would not be used for competitive play. She has all the assets, all the things, she can be a competitive character. Just fix a few things here and there.

Fukua is cool and I she plays a lot differently than Filia. I think she should stay, but only in the beta(for now) until she is properly balanced.

Reactions: blufang
Chicken Boo's and Muro's post explain my feelings towards this matter pretty well, I like Fukua in the context of the joke, but i dont want some half assed rushed aprils fools clone to be a main stay in this game, it would be disrespectfull towards Lab 0 that are spending so much time and resources (they are working for mininal pay ffs) producing these high quality characters for us, just so we shit on them by aproving this kind of crap in our roster, making all of Lab 0s work seem worthless when all we seem to care about is playing Mugen on the Z engine.

I'd be fine with her being banned from tournament play for balance reasons but kept in the game for the lulz.

Chicken Boo's and Muro's post explain my feelings towards this matter pretty well, I like Fukua in the context of the joke, but i dont want some half assed rushed aprils fools clone to be a main stay in this game, it would be disrespectfull towards Lab 0 that are spending so much time and resources (they are working for mininal pay ffs) producing these high quality characters for us, just so we shit on them by aproving this kind of crap in our roster, making all of Lab 0s work seem worthless when all we seem to care about is playing Mugen on the Z engine.
Except that L0 has pretty much OK'd this endeavor, and Mike has no plans of removing her. Just because Mike worked on Fukua doesn't mean time was taken away from the important stuff. This just seems like something Mike put together for shits and giggles, and it's been received well, for the most part. I'd love to see her stay because L0 has outdone every single April Fool's trailer by the rest of the FG market by actually making her PLAYABLE. Fukua is akin to TotSG in a sense that Mike did this in his own time for the lulz, while not taking away from priorities.

So, how is it disrespectful to Lab Zero if they approved this to begin with?

Let her stew in the beta for awhile. She's got some pretty powerful stuff, but after some polishing, she'll fit in just fine.

Let her rock.

Reactions: RetroStation
Did Lab 0 Really approve this? Or are they pulling the joke even further by trolling us all about her staying?

Did Lab 0 Really approve this? Or are they pulling the joke even further by trolling us all about her staying?
MikeZ said it himself. @Vadsamoht posted the IRC log somewhere (I forget) about it.

Im sorry but i cant take anything Mike Z says for granted right now, It IS Aprils Fools today after all!

Status
Not open for further replies.