• As part of the relaunch of Skullheart, ALL previous threads have been archived. You can find them at the bottom of the forum in the Archives (2021) section. The archives are locked, so please use the new forum sections to create new discussion threads.

POLL: Keep Fukua in the game?

Should Fukua stay in the game?

• Yes!

Votes: 383 88.7%
  • Hell no!

Votes: 50 11.6%

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.
Fukua has all 3 of the character qualities you've mentioned (have we ever seen a Samsonless Filia j.LP before Fukua got one? I doubt it).
I think double does it.

EDIT: didn't notice the j. part.

I disagree how a mimic archetype fighting character from the core matches up to the quality of the pioneers the mimic borrowed from to form a "remix". I can go on, but this isn't the thread to argue about the philosophy of mimics.

Robo Fortune being playable is also going to be a thing. No denying that. She was already described of being a reminiscent of Robo Ky from the GG series. Recycled animations, but will play like her own character similar to Fukua who was stated to be a test for this. That is why she will be cheaper to make. Her character quality would go down, but she would play different enough from the original which is what really matters when your trying to expand a character roster. If you want clone characters done badly look at TTT2 with Bob/Slim Bob or Lee/Violet that look the same and play 98% similar .

You forgot one important fact; neither Double or Robo Fortune will be slapped together in less than 3 days without playtesting.

I think double does it.

EDIT: didn't notice the j. part.
That's for standing and crouching. Double's jumping LP reuses Fortune's jumping LP animation.

The main reason for the "Yes" votes I can see is "Huehue much Filia very joke funny meme so April's fools", and yeah this doesn't cut it.

She's the best Joke of all time, and not only would the Joke itself get ruined by making her a real character, you'd also be blatantly stating that a character that was tossed together in 3 days for free is good enough to stand next to the rest of the SG chars. What the shit is L0 even working so hard for, and why did we donate $829829? With that money, they could make 50 Fukuas instead of 5 new characters.

Pretty sure Robo-Fortune won't just copy 80% of Fortune's normals with their hitboxes.
On the note of Fortune, patching her was more work than creating Fukua (had to create and fully animate the new headon s.HK)

To be honest, I would vote yes because she was fun and I liked the grappling gameplay. The auto-armor throw was genuinely fun and reminded me of a better balanced version of Kanji's P4A throw - which also comes in fast and delayed/invincible (in his case) variants despite you calling the moves too similar to each other. Her grappling style is literally his so apparently it was good enough for an Arcsys fighter. :P

She's a bit choppy and I hope that bugs can be cleaned up in beta, though I agree don't keep her in retail until she's better tested.

Not to say I have no mixed feelings because she's very silly and feels odd on the character select, but she was also pretty fun to mess around with and I liked the feel of her gameplay. Given how rarely Cerebella actually feels like a grappler to me, I enjoyed playing Fukua today. That's the main reason I'd vote to keep her, but obviously that depends on more playtesting, which is why I declined to vote for now. Day one is too much of an impulse-vote for me.

Though the backlash on her is sorta fascinating given she was a test-run for what they're going to do with Robo Fortune, more or less.

It bothers me how heated people are getting over this(except goodbye. you keep that up.), and that people are trying to get rid of Fukua before giving L0 even a chance to improve upon her in any way. >3 Days from mike was enough to make that, and the rest of the team signed off on it, right? It could turn into an actual team side project if you let it, but if you bomb it now it won't come back.
But I do think Fukua shouldn't have her own character select slot. maybe a button code or a start+select character type of deal.

But I do think Fukua shouldn't have her own character select slot. maybe a button code or a start+select character type of deal.
Oddly I agree with this part.

I'd laugh more than a little if she had a Marvel vs. Street Fighter style code like Armored Spiderman or Shadow Lady/Nash ending on Filia's slot. :P

Fukua=best April fools gift ever. I don't mind if she is a clone, she is different enough to be unique.

Reactions: musica
people are trying to get rid of Fukua before giving L0 even a chance to improve upon her in any way. [..] It could turn into an actual team side project if you let it
The first thing I asked in the IRC after a minute of playing around with her and reading people "I want her to stay in" was "If she were to stay in, would her animations get touched up?". Mike's answer was "No fixing of frames, you can all stop asking that now".

I don't think that should be the case; she's very different from Filia and that would serve no purpose other than to confuse players who wish to play as her. Maybe when EX characters become a thing beyond just her, she could be moved to a special menu, but that isn't the case yet.

The first thing I asked in the IRC after a minute of playing around with her and reading people "I want her to stay in" was "If she were to stay in, would her animations get touched up?". Mike's answer was "No fixing of frames, you can all stop asking that now".

Here's my one concern about that.

Now, feel free to tell me I'm misguided or wrong (I'm not ruling out either), but my understanding is that aside from tweaking her frames to make her look like Robo-Fortune, they're probably not going to be doing a ton more animation effort using Indiegogo money than they did remixing Fukua here, especially if Fukua was the practice run.

So assuming Robo-Fortune is also kinda choppy frame-wise, are you going to object to her too? Because that feels distinctively possible, especially if she's like Robo-Ky who wasn't exactly the paragon of natural and fluid movement.

It's funny (or sad?) how many people vote 'Yes'.

etc. etc.
There are two senses of leaving her 'in' the game. The first is in her current form, as an easily-accessible character with an icon on the character select screen and acknowledged in the game itself, and the other would be to require some sort of code input and make it pretty clear that she's not a standalone character. In the former case I'd agree completely with your points but if you're talking about the latter then I wouldn't really mind as much.

MikeZ said it himself. @Vadsamoht posted the IRC log somewhere (I forget) about it.
In a spoiler in the "Fukua General Discussion" thread.

Reactions: RetroStation
upload_2014-4-1_21-11-6.png

I haven't seen this many people since Skullgirls Encore released on PS3!

I think all Fukua needs it a bit less hit armor on that 120f grab. Then she's totally balanced!

Wow way to put all sorts of words in people's mouths

Maybe they like the character because she's fun to play
What in the world? What words did I put in your mouth? I specifically quoted your post correctly, and here you are taking my post and changing it to something completely different while not even addressing my response to you. Seriously dude.

What in the world? What words did I put in your mouth? I specifically quoted your post correctly, and here you are taking my post and changing it to something completely different while not even addressing my response to you. Seriously dude.
Icky, he misquoted you. Vulpes was the one who said what he responded to.

Icky, he misquoted you. Vulpes was the one who said what he responded to.
Thought it was some stab at me for misinterpreting what he said or something.

Thought it was some stab at me for misinterpreting what he said or something.
Nah, I double-checked a page ago. That's part of Isa's post.

She probably could use rebalancing. (I guess.) She's very fun to play. She would still be fun if she got nerfed damage wise and maybe even comboability wise.

I'm someone who was actually happy about Decapre because I like playing chargers, and I wanted to play Cammy, but I'm really bad at Cammy. So Decapre gives me hope.

I'm really bad at Filia. I seem to understand Fukua because I don't have to deal with the air dashing that Filia has. She has a double jump and her dash is acceptable for me. Dash jumping, going for crossups and crossunders into low/throw resets, some zoning and fun tricks. It's fun.

Decapre is losing her ground drillkick thing or something right? And Painwheel lost pinion dash. So things like that happen.

I'm sad more frames won't be added but I knew that before anyone had to ask because why would any of you think there was time/money for extra frames? Though we never know with these peeps, do we? (Lab Zero/Mike/etc) I mean I think her hairball projectile looks kinda ghetto. 3 days though. Can I really complain? + Free

I'd be okay if she was banned from tournaments or restricted to beta only. That doesn't hurt my feelings.
I would like to see her in retail down the road and I like that she would fill the blank roster spot.

I love joke characters and when I subject myself to SFIV (my laptop hates it and I'm bad at it) I'm a Dan player, who is legitimately less jokey these days... right? Whatever, I win matches with him and everyone thinks he's bad! And he's fun. He's very fun. I've wanted a Dan Hibiki of Skullgirls. This is my Dan.

I voted yes.

He somehow managed to merge my post with your quote tags. I said that.

So assuming Robo-Fortune is also kinda choppy frame-wise, are you going to object to her too?
If Robo-Fortune gets zero new animations, copies the same animation for four different moves, looks very choppy overall, and 1:1 copies 90% of Fortune normals, then yes I'm gonna object to her too.

and the other would be to require some sort of code input and make it pretty clear that she's not a standalone character.
If she stays in as an extended joke that's not allowed to be played in tournaments etc and can't be picked in a standard way, or just gets delegated to Endless Beta tier, I'm gonna shrug hard, keep her if you wanna do that idc~

I was just looking at some MvC2 videos and I just realized that Fukua is playing the way Mike Z would play Filia if she was in MvC2!

I think that No, Fukua should not be kept as a character. Why? Simply because everyone that buys the game after today, will think she's a legit character and that the developers are lazy for simply cloning Filia. We're the only ones that know its a joke, and unless we slap a disclaimer whenever you select her ("Warning: This is an April Fools character!") she'll just confuse new players.

If they decide to keep her, i'd say: Keep her then as a hidden character, only available for Arcade after you input a secret command. New players would then think that maybe she's an "alternate" Fillia, and could end up researching who she was before judging. Or alternatively, keep her away from the game and only in the Beta version if anyone misses her.

TL;DR: No. Everyone that didn't play Skullgirls today will think she's a real character and assume that devs are lazy.

Fukua has all 3 of the character qualities you've mentioned (have we ever seen a Samsonless Filia j.LP before Fukua got one? I doubt it).

You look at Fukua, and compare her animations to the rest of the cast.

Tell me, TELL ME that her current state is acceptable.

I think that No, Fukua should not be kept as a character. Why? Simply because everyone that buys the game after today, will think she's a legit character and that the developers are lazy for simply cloning Filia. We're the only ones that know its a joke, and unless we slap a disclaimer whenever you select her ("Warning: This is an April Fools character!") she'll just confuse new players.

If they decide to keep her, i'd say: Keep her then as a hidden character, only available for Arcade after you input a secret command. New players would then think that maybe she's an "alternate" Fillia, and could end up researching who she was before judging. Or alternatively, keep her away from the game and only in the Beta version if anyone misses her.

TL;DR: No. Everyone that didn't play Skullgirls today will think she's a real character and assume that devs are lazy.
That's why that Mortal Kombat with what, 4-5 different colored ninjas with the same model will never be popular, right? Right....?

Just move her in to the Beta until she is fulled finished/ tested / fixed, its not like every playable char gonna get a Ex/Shadow version, if the SG community wants to stay in to the game, why not?

That's why that Mortal Kombat with what, 4-5 different colored ninjas with the same model will never be popular, right? Right....?

The ninja recolors were done to save memory space due to limited technology.

Also what was once done in the past does not justify for it to be acceptable in the future.

Reactions: AlexOfspades
The ninja recolors were done to save memory space due to limited technology.

Also what was once done in the past does not justify for it to be acceptable in the future.

Have you played MK9 we still have recolored ninjas because of the jokes

we have freaking ermac lmao

that kills me

- Keeping her in ruins the entire joke in favour of showing Capcom that Decapre is actually hype and a good thing
1. the only thing wrong with Decapre was the amount of time they took to announce her. nothing else is wrong with her
2. she can still be a joke character as well as a serious character.

Reactions: Pfantzypantz
Have you played MK9 we still have recolored ninjas because of the jokes

we have freaking ermac lmao

that kills me

I haven't played MK9. That sucks, man.

Mortal Kombat kept recolors and joke characters as real characters. Turns out: People think they're lazy. Exactly like i said. Because it is lazy design. I can't blame Lab Zero for not making a completely new character - i mean, she's a joke character, i know. What we got was already amazing. But she's nowhere near the level of quality of the other characters - you can't expect that from a joke character, but you have to expect that from a real one.

Keeping her will just confuse new players. Lab Zero is not Midway.

I dunno, after playing her for a bit, she seems really fun. Very roughly done, but fun none-the-less! I can understand the distaste for it, as the whole clone thing puts a sour taste in my mouth, even as a joke, but I'd love to see her as her own character. My biggest issue with her looking the same is how much it sorta ruins how every single character in Skullgirls is unique. Substantially unique, I mean. Even if Filia herself is a boring character, she doesn't look like anyone else in the roster. I understand new art takes new money-- Money that isn't exactly available, but it would help make her an actual character a lot, keeping the roster special. In turn, though, this would also ruin the joke.

In conclusion-- I'd add her to my main team, but she needs some work done before that.

But that palette six... Oh, man, that palette six... <3
7SNS5.jpg

Maybe they can keep her in the beta for some time...and if they have any resources left after Robo-Fortune, they could put some resources into beefing up Fukua.

Status
Not open for further replies.