• As part of the relaunch of Skullheart, ALL previous threads have been archived. You can find them at the bottom of the forum in the Archives (2021) section. The archives are locked, so please use the new forum sections to create new discussion threads.

Puella Magi Madoka Magica

Jutsei

Unwavering Hype
Reaction score
Website
jutsei.deviantart.com
Steam
Jutsei
PSN
Animeking194
Peacock Painwheel Unknown
Since I didn't wanna clutter up the anime thread about how much I fucking love Madoka, I decided to just make a thread.

What is Madoka Magica, you might ask?
On paper, it's a deconstruction of the magical girl genre. What's a deconstruction? Showing what's wrong with a genre and showing all the bad things that would happen to it if it was played in a darker way.
But it's much deeper than that, it's a very pretty (And very short, at 12 episodes) story that really gets a message across in a wonderful way. There's not much I can say without giving out the plot, but it's wonderful.

And like any good franchise, there's numerous spin-offs and retellings.
There's manga recapping the anime, showing another timeline, another set of magical girls, one based on the movie, and of course. There's a set of movies.
The first two movies are two retellings of the entire series in the form of 1 and a half hour long movies that condense it but allegedly make it better...

And then, this month, there's a THIRD movie that wraps up the Madoka Magica story. Due October 26th.

So basically, if it's anything Madoka or Spin-off related, talk about it in here.

Due to the fact the series finished it's anime run about 3 years ago, tagging spoilers isn't NECESSARY, but if you believe it's big enough (Or is related to the third movie), tag it!

I just finished watching it a week or two ago. Great series imo. Great artstyle, animation, OST, VA (Sarah and Cristina <3), great antagonist (if you can call him that), and the story certainly has more than one message, although at it's core it experiments with the age old "Deal With The Devil". My one complaint is that i could have been a few episodes longer, possibly rounded out to a 20 episode series, as i feel like the somewhat vague interpretations of characters and their motivations was caused by such shortness, although the movies and supplemental materiel make up for it.

9/10 would re-watch.

The movies are, again, condensed versions that basically cut the fat and get right to things. I've heard the music, voice acting, and of course, animation is MUCH better too.

The first manga is basically a remake of the anime too, but this time going off more the original storyboards...with some things different, mostly at the end
The manga has more violence, showing Charlotte eating Mami like a wild animal, but at the end...
If you recall right, Walpurgisnacht had familiars that looked like little girls. These are actually dead magical girls.
In the manga, Kyouko, Mami, and Sayaka are amongst the familiars as well.
And at the very very end, it shows a page of Homura in a white void with her braids and glasses being greeted by Madoka, implying that she's dead and has entered Madoka's heaven

Ah yes, Madoka, the Evangelion-type deconstruction of the Magical Girl genre to Nanoha's Gurren Lagann.

Watched the anime, apparently there's manga about other magical girls too (?) so I might read that if it's any good.

Watched the anime, apparently there's manga about other magical girls too (?) so I might read that if it's any good.
Oriko Magica is about another timeline that introduces three other characters, including one that royally fucks up it up, and Kazumi Magica is about another set of magical girls entirely
I heard this one looks more into Witches and people trying to find a way to revert them into Magical Girls.

And then there's The Other Story.
Which is all about Mami and Kyouko.
I heard it's very very depressing.

Oriko Magica is about another timeline that introduces three other characters, including one that royally fucks up it up, and Kazumi Magica is about another set of magical girls entirely
I heard this one looks more into Witches and people trying to find a way to revert them into Magical Girls.

And then there's The Other Story.
Which is all about Mami and Kyouko.
I heard it's very very depressing.
Well that was quick.
Yeah, I'll put those on my to-read list. I loved the original anime.
Here, have a prize: (Spoilers, don't know if I need to mark them in this thread or what but I'm playing it safe.)

Reactions: Jutsei
Well It's kinda my job to keep on top of things with Madoka.
I'm still waiting for them to make a anime about Cleopatra as a Magical Girl.
Don't tell me you wouldn't watch that shit

Is this series available on BLu-Ray at a reasonable price yet? I seem to recall it being broken up into small pieces and sold at ridiculous prices by whatever company first got the rights.

Edit: A cursory Google search makes it look like that's a "no."

I like The Blue Madoka. Kyoko and Mami are nice, too.

Reactions: DARKNESSxEAGLE
Well It's kinda my job to keep on top of things with Madoka.
I'm still waiting for them to make a anime about Cleopatra as a Magical Girl.
Don't tell me you wouldn't watch that shit
Joan of Arc, man.
Joan of Arc.

Is this series available on BLu-Ray at a reasonable price yet? I seem to recall it being broken up into small pieces and sold at ridiculous prices by whatever company first got the rights.

Edit: A cursory Google search makes it look like that's a "no."
You can watch it FOR FREE in HD Quality on Hulu with subtitles!

Joan of Arc, man.
Joan of Arc.
Her too

You can watch it FOR FREE in HD Quality on Hulu with subtitles!...
I'd like the option to own it for a reasonable price someday.

Hameru is my favorite. Mostly because Moemura.

If you don't like Moemura you're simply not human.

I think I'm so distressed over the third movie because I desperately want Homura to have a happy ending after everything she's been through
Someone did math, and allegedly Homura's been through at least 10 years of timelines
And it doesn't look like that's gonna happen.

I decided to check it out on recommendation a while back, and I ended up spending the whole night watching it from start to finish.

I really love the designs of the witches. They're not just bizarre and fascinating - they're all uniquely bizarre and fascinating. What really kept me glued to the screen wasn't necessarily the plot (though it's awesome, too), but my desire to see what the next witch looked like.

My favorite is Elsa Maria, but Oktavia has the coolest house.

The Witches are very good because the animators do a great job of making them feel like Eldritch Abominations, and each barrier looks different, so it works well.

And like any good franchise, there's numerous spin-offs and retellings.
There's manga recapping the anime, showing another timeline, another set of magical girls, one based on the movie, and of course. There's a set of movies.
The first two movies are two retellings of the entire series in the form of 1 and a half hour long movies that condense it but allegedly make it better...

And then, this month, there's a THIRD movie that wraps up the Madoka Magica story. Due October 26th.

So basically, if it's anything Madoka or Spin-off related, talk about it in here.

Due to the fact the series finished it's anime run about 3 years ago, tagging spoilers isn't NECESSARY, but if you believe it's big enough (Or is related to the third movie), tag it!
Was just about to ask what the 2nd and 3rd movies were about. Thank goodness I just have to watch the third movie.
Wonderful. Now I can cry again T_T

Nagisa with that all-too obvious fate, by this point.

There was a Madoka Magica thread and i haven't commented yet, i am dissapoint with myself. Anyways great series it is in my top ten best Anime and Manga list, but it's just a personal list nothing too major.

Well this could be interesting...

tumblr_mv75nutWWY1sfxaudo1_500.jpg

Trailer for the PS Vita game is up
Looks pretty great, but I noticed some frame rate issues during some of the attacks.
Hopefully that'll be fixed before the game's release.

So.
The third Madoka Movie's out, and since almost no one speaks rune moons, we can't vouch for what happens.
But, from what people have said...
Everyone lives at the end. Except Homura becomes LUCIFER and deGods Madoka. Also she might be evil now, and Madokami's wish has been rendered null.
[/media]

Last edited:
Homura really needs to learn how to control her Madoka-based ladyboner.

So.
The third Madoka Movie's out, and since almost no one speaks rune moons, we can't vouch for what happens.
But, from what people have said...
Everyone lives at the end. Except Homura becomes LUCIFER and deGods Madoka. Also she might be evil now, and Madokami's wish has been rendered null.
xV8YtvO.png

But seriously, did they just kill off what was a great ending to the anime?!

... ALL HAIL OUR NEW LORD HOMUCIFER

The way I see it, they're setting it up for ONE more sequel, or ONE more season.
THEY then close off the story for good and move onto something good.
There's no fucking way they can end the story on this kind of note.
There's gotta be more...
I CAN'T ACCEPT THIS AS THE FINAL ENDING FOR MADOKA!
I mean it's cool but THERE'S GOTTA BE MORE!

Reactions: TailsWorld1
I know this series is dark, but you can't end it on that! There better be at least another movie because I can't justify how fans will enjoy this.

Pretty much my way of thinking.
Also guys, you know what I realized?
Homura became a new God by wishing. It may or may not have been a wish to help Madoka.
And she may or may not have become evil due to it.
Guys.
Homura basically became The Skullgirl.

Incoming Marie x Homura crossovers (well once people see the similarities)

Reactions: Jutsei
ALRIGHT ALRIGH, guys!
Worried about the ending?
Don't worry, it's NOT THE CONCLUSION.
It was set to be, but Studio SHAFT and another producer wanted to change it in such a way that it'd be an open ended ending, with the possibility for sequels.
And it is pretty wide open for a sequel. There is no possible way they'd leave us hanging with an ending like this.
Everything will be made right in time!

JsCqtJ9.jpg
But why not end the story in this movie instead of wanting to make more?

Because again, Urobatchi WANTED it to be a definitive end, but SHAFT and the producers wanted it to be open ended for more sequels, anime, and merchandise.
It ended better than most executive meddling, since Gen and the Producer made up an open ended ending that they were both satisfied with.

I hate business