• As part of the relaunch of Skullheart, ALL previous threads have been archived. You can find them at the bottom of the forum in the Archives (2021) section. The archives are locked, so please use the new forum sections to create new discussion threads.

Realistically what do you think Skullgirls' life span is after the last DLC?

Of course the "grass is always greener".... do you even play GG?
GG has been out for a loong time. Xrd is basically the same as old GG's with YRC in there instead of FRC's. And i guarantee if you play GG you will complain about dumb stuff too. Play my eddie in +R and you'll see, he is stupid. Play a good Milia or I-No, or zappa and you will cry.
I used to play it; had to quit in 2008, since I've never owned a console more advanced than an SNES, and 2008 is when I graduated from college (and thus wasn't living 5 feet away from my friends who also played the game and did own a console).

Xrd is basically old GG... man, why didn't anyone tell me that Ky could Split Cell/Durendal Call in XX? Why didn't anyone tell me that Sol had a divekick? Why didn't anyone tell me that Venom's Dubious Curve setups were all a figment of my imagination? Why didn't anyone tell me Chipp could cling to the walls?

I don't think that there's anyone that enjoys fighting Milia in XX (hell, the commentators even mentioned this in the 2012 Evo side tournament), or Eddie, or I-No, or Jam, but they are a small minority of the characters that have insane lockdown, not "10/12ths of the cast has a completely 1-dimensional gameplan revolving around nothing but jump-ins."

Xrd is basically old GG... man, why didn't anyone tell me that Ky could Split Cell/Durendal Call in XX? Why didn't anyone tell me that Sol had a divekick? Why didn't anyone tell me that Venom's Dubious Curve setups were all a figment of my imagination? Why didn't anyone tell me Chipp could cling to the walls?

I don't think that there's anyone that enjoys fighting Milia in XX (hell, the commentators even mentioned this in the 2012 Evo side tournament), or Eddie, or I-No, or Jam, but they are a small minority of the characters that have insane lockdown, not "10/12ths of the cast has a completely 1-dimensional gameplan revolving around nothing but jump-ins."

Not having to deal with unblockables or "guess the block" situations in SG compared to GG is pretty great.

Also @Dagwood is correct in that Xrd is based off of an older GG, #Reload to be more precise. Yes, characters have some new moves but Xrd at its core was designed to be #Reload only slower, with added hitstop, YRCs instead of FRCs and dumb ass gimmicks like Danger Time and a stupid comeback mechanic, Hellfire mode. All that shit was designed to wow newcomers and full of shit hipsters that go "I love Guilty Gear" but continually show they know fuckall about the game because they've never played it competitively or at a level to grasp the meta of the game both of which refuse to play a more quality version of the series such as Accent Core or Plus R.

Xrd is ass and people that could truly make that game frightening like Ogawa don't play the game seriously even though everyone agrees Eddie is good and still has his triple unblockables again. The competition in that game is ass because FAB uses his oldman powers of experience to peace out people with the worst character in the game.

Seriously, stop trying to talk like you're any sort of authority on Guilty Gear and comparing it to Skullgirls.

Last edited:
@Cynical

If SG's neutral was really only based off of jump-ins every match should be ridiculously predictable to you and you should be winning all of them, but i'm guessing that's not the case and that's why you're here complaining and blaming the game.

Each character has vastly different ways of playing neutral and all them can destroy reckless jump-ins.

There is a bit from this article from iplaywinner that made me think of this topic:

The only thing that needs to change is the defeatist attitudes espoused by many in the scene who walk away whenever their game doesn't get more than 30 entrants at every event. By now, every airdash player should realize that none of the games currently offered will ever be as big as Street Fighter IV or Marvel vs. Capcom 3, so why should they worry? Games like Super Turbo have survived 20 years and multiple sequels with a proven, albeit small, playerbase on the strength of interest and dedication alone. Maybe an airdash game or two can do the same.

This is basically how I feel as well. The Super Turbo comment especially proves a point to me since it's one of the few scenes I really care about and it's certainly very small and disorganized yet resources from their community like ST Revival do a lot to keep itself going. It eventually got the spotlight like the Tournament of Legends at EVO 2012 and came back with Xmania/ToL2 in 2014 (it did have a legacy to help, but it's just an example here). Full stop, SG will never get to SF4 or Marvel numbers without loads more advertising to fuel the scene, but it's also true that it will never get EVO recognition when people drop the game and stop supporting it, and the way to get into EVO can only come from people keeping a solid base for the game and being smart about support.

Not having to deal with unblockables or "guess the block" situations in SG compared to GG is pretty great.

Also @Dagwood is correct in that Xrd is based off of an older GG, #Reload to be more precise. Yes, characters have some new moves but Xrd at its core was designed to be #Reload only slower, with added hitstop, YRCs instead of FRCs and dumb ass gimmicks like Danger Time and a stupid comeback mechanic, Hellfire mode. All that shit was designed to wow newcomers and full of shit hipsters that go "I love Guilty Gear" but continually show they know fuckall about the game because they've never played it competitively or at a level to grasp the meta of the game both of which refuse to play a more quality version of the series such as Accent Core or Plus R.

Xrd is ass and people that could truly make that game frightening like Ogawa don't play the game seriously even though everyone agrees Eddie is good and still has his triple unblockables again. The competition in that game is ass because FAB uses his oldman powers of experience to peace out people with the worst character in the game.

Seriously, stop trying to talk like you're any sort of authority on Guilty Gear and comparing it to Skullgirls.
Man, excessively using profanity does make you seem intelligent and helps prove your point.

But Danger Time being a dumb-ass gimmick is proven, indisputable scientific fact.

To be perfectly fair I don't know of anybody who thinks it was actually a good idea.

Last edited:
As someone who isn't familiar with the P4A tournament in question, what exactly are "questionable means" and "fraudulent mechanics"?
Spam two-button DPs, and when those whiffed, spam supers. Basically, mash and spam shit all day.

Spam two-button DPs, and when those whiffed, spam supers. Basically, mash and spam shit all day.
Assuming those supers aren't safe, couldn't you just bait both in a row.
Also assuming meter isn't like, free, that can't be done forever.
Also aren't there armor moves or invincible moves to absorb and read and bait DP's and Supers?

I only played a bit of P4A but I remember supers being unsafe without lots of meter to One More Cancel.

Not only that, but the 2-button DPs cost life to perform.

Man, excessively using profanity does make you seem intelligent and helps prove your point.

Saying "shit" twice and "fuck" once in a 220 word response is considered excessive to you? And you feel pointing that out is somehow a clever enough riposte to undermine any of my points about Xrd or the fact Cynical doesn't know as much about Guilty Gear or Skullgirls as s/he's letting on when comparing the two?

Reactions: mcpeanuts
Saying "shit" twice and "fuck" once in a 220 word response is considered excessive to you? And you feel pointing that out is somehow a clever enough riposte to undermine any of my points about Xrd or the fact Cynical doesn't know as much about Guilty Gear or Skullgirls as s/he's letting on when comparing the two?
i'm just saying you could have made your point without having to go off like that, whether or not the new mechanics and design choices is beneficial to the game in the long run.

i'm just saying you could have made your point without having to go off like that, whether or not the new mechanics and design choices is beneficial to the game in the long run.
if saying 3 or 4 swears in one rant is going off. I hate to see you react to 10 or more swears in a single rant.

"10/12ths of the cast has a completely 1-dimensional gameplan revolving around nothing but jump-ins."

A while back, I heard this same exact complaint from someone else.

Another intermediate Parasoul main.

Such strange coincidences, I tell you.

On a side note, the BEST Parasoul players I've seen almost never need jump ins to get hit confirms or damage in general.

Last edited:
if saying 3 or 4 swears in one rant is going off. I hate to see you react to 10 or more swears in a single rant.
I'm sure you'd like to see that. But I don't want to derail this thread any further.

Oh don't back down from your pusillanimous backhanded statement about me using "profanity", child. Nobody gives a rat's ass what you think of my choice of words. If you object to the statements I made regarding Xrd then provide a counterpoint; don't just sit there with some bullshit snarky tone and contribute nothing of merit to the discussion.

Okay, okay it looks like we'll have to bring this back on topic. Enough shitting on other games (at least in this thread), because you know what? One of the things this thread made me do is realize that one game really can't kill another game by existing. The FGC is big enough now that all games can have a fanbase that can keep them alive. Yeah, it was mainly the iplaywinner article that @fenster linked that made me realize that. Thanks to this thread for pointing me toward that article.

Btw, if people are shitting on other games, can we make another thread to do that, or can someone point me in that direction? I would REALLY like to read about how bad other games are!

Let me state for the record that my point hasn't been to say "Xrd is crap" (although that is what I feel and am able to expound on that), my point is to call out people going "Xrd does _______ better than Skullgirls" when the subject is an incorrect bullshit uninformed opinion and not fact.

Reactions: EA575
That was the impression I initially got, instead of calling out on the comparison between the two games.
Oh don't back down from your pusillanimous backhanded statement about me using "profanity", child. Nobody gives a rat's ass what you think of my choice of words. If you object to the statements I made regarding Xrd then provide a counterpoint; don't just sit there with some bullshit snarky tone and contribute nothing of merit to the discussion.
I can't provide a counterpoint on how "Xrd does ____ better than SG" (which I thought was your argument on why Xrd was crap) because the only GG I've played at all is #Reload, and that's just for a total of a few hours, and I really want to get into the series with the latest one. I got upset because I thought you were dissing Xrd solely based on what you've seen of the game (I'm not sure if you've played Xrd or not) and your post made it seem like you were just bitter on how much they've changed the game.

As the LAST offtopic thing, I will 100% echo that the changes they made to GG Xrd basically make it SF4-ized option-select city and incredibly dumb to play compared to AC or even AC+R. From having played it, not from videos.

Now, please get back on topic, I summon the @worldjem to make it the case.

Full stop, SG will never get to SF4 or Marvel numbers without loads more advertising to fuel the scene, but it's also true that it will never get EVO recognition when people drop the game and stop supporting it, and the way to get into EVO can only come from people keeping a solid base for the game and being smart about support.

lmfao if you seriously think SGE can get EVO recognition via "legitimate" means of any kind

bPeGFTkl.png

This thread needs to stop getting revived...

This thread is so depressing. Why is it still active? Why do people keep talking to the guy named cynical? Why did earlier @dapurplesharpie who was promoting the fact that she streams the game all the time and will keep streaming and having fun get told to shut up and talk about when the game was gonna die?

Because it was like a guy waking up, banging on the coffin and screaming he's still alive when gravediggers are already in the middle of burying him.

It's very rude to interrupt a ceremony and disrespect other people's hard work like that.

This thread is so depressing. Why is it still active? Why do people keep talking to the guy named cynical?
One, its active because people like you and other people who are interested in the topic of discussion want to talk about it
Secondly, if the thread bothers you just ignore it! Its not that hard to do.

I can't ignore its name popping up in recent threads so often. Which reminds me people are sitting here talking about its death. Which is upsetting me even though I try my best to ignore it.

But, alright. I guess I'll do my best to not post again. Wouldn't want anyone else who feels uncomfortable at the thought of the thread to see it in the recent threads any more than necessary.

Edit: Sorry, @IsaVulpes, I didn't proof read my thing. I was in a hurry to get out of here.

Last edited:
Considering that Skullgirls Encore was released this year, can you guys imagine if the game came up in the VGA as Best Fighting Game of 2014?

hay gente de fe

The better question is, will the game last to you? Personally, its not like the game was making the biggest of impact in the fgc or tournaments. Just have with the game

Honestly if this game dies out after the last dlc I'll keep playing everyday as long as my online friends do the same

Considering that Skullgirls Encore was released this year, can you guys imagine if the game came up in the VGA as Best Fighting Game of 2014?

as much as I hate to say it skullgirls isnt going to win best fighting its going to be sf4 again.
man fuck sf4.

as much as I hate to say it skullgirls isnt going to win best fighting its going to be sf4 again.
man fuck sf4.

SF4 is a looooooong shot this time. Ultra's been a buggy mess with poor netcode... any reason why KI3 can't be fighting game of 2014 to an American audience?

Also, it really doesn't matter if Skullgirls gets a game of the year award. It got SRK's fighting game of the year award when Encore launched at that really didn't do as much as I thought to make the scene take off.

There's always the chance of wave 2 DLC now b4 you guys say. "They don't want to do another crowd funding". We won't do crowd funding lab zero could just make DLC characters after Robo fortune. I mean I don't think Eliza or Beowulf were supposed to get story modes but they did.

No all were supposed to get stories