• As part of the relaunch of Skullheart, ALL previous threads have been archived. You can find them at the bottom of the forum in the Archives (2021) section. The archives are locked, so please use the new forum sections to create new discussion threads.

Robo-Fortune: "Why Do I Feel Pain, Creator" edition!

Woulda been great to see her tail retract into her while she's taunting, to give it that old school "String Voicebox" flare that was kind of hinting at.

Reactions: Broseidon Rex
Some thoughts on robo fortune. Most of this will be obvious to many people but that is never a good reason to not say something, afterall not everyone knows what everyone else knows and some of this may help out robos that are uncomfortable attacking, and others that are uncomfortable playing keepaway.

Runaway:

Very simple, robo runs away/over her opponent using a variety of timings and trajectories. The main ones to run over them seem to be:

Instant j.9hk, then on the way down jmp or AA assist to protect robo.
Instant j.9hk, double jump 9hk, come down with an assist or j.mp/other falling normal

Though these 2 patterns look quite alike, they are very different as far as what robo can do from them. In the first pattern robo can jump cancel her falling j.mp into a left/right crossup

In the second pattern she can't do that, but she's runs much further away than in the first pattern. First rule of fighting games, keep em guessing.

The next 2 patterns are from super jump and are the same as the above patterns except with superjump in front of them. Why use the superjump patterns? The primary reason is even more range in your run away game along with the added ability to now fall with jhp that will turn around and face the enemy. A much higher priority move in general from this position, and also has the caveat of moving robo fortune further away from the opponent, facilitating the runaway even more. another thing to note is that superjumps move you higher quicker than regular jumps, so it's harder for the opponent to jump up and stop the superjump runaway than if you were to regular jump.

So why use the regular jump runaway at all? It is primarily as a way to call an assist on the way down, as well as it doesn't move robo to close to the OPPOSITE corner, where she is going to have to to runaway again.

So ok now we know how to runaway, but WHEN do we do it? The answer of course changes depending on matchup and opponent, but the flowchart answer is to do it immediately after hitting or making your opponent block a laser. This is the most likely time that the opponent will move forward with a dash jump or regular
Jump and so this is a great time for you to jump over their head.

So ok, I know how to runaway and when to runaway, but I still end up getting pressured on the way up/way down because my opponent knows what I'm going to do:

This is where you bring one more runaway trick to the fray: run under the opponent. If you are having trouble running away with jhk cause your opponent is reading you like a book and pre-emptively double jumping/super jumping and hitting your jhk, you can predict their prediction and run under them since they are covering the air so hard, you just go ground instead.

And if they didn't jump you can react and jump backwards out of your run call an AA assist on the way down then immediately superjump as you land.

When you can effectively mixup jhk runaway with run under runaway, your robo is 2/3 complete at neutral IMHO.

Which brings us to the last major component, attacking:

Imo robo isn't a full zoning character, BUT she DOES set up her game with keepaway. Once you've got some form of keepaway established such as laser spam and backdashing alot, that's when robo can use her opponents forward movement to go on the offensive. Robo doesn't really need to approach the other characters, they will approach her. On offense robo has some decent stuff and doesn't have to worry about pushblock so much because a pushblock just puts robo back in her most dangerous position, far away.

But offensively robo has cr.lk staggers to setup throws and lows and frame trap pushblocks. She also has j.mp which is really tricky to block and pushblock correctly when jump canceled well. And finally she has her st.hk which gives her a head on hit, does damage and can be made safe with an assist, can be used as a confirm with assists like beat extend as well. So a simple mixup like cr.lk,st.hk plus beat extend, or cr.lk, cr.lk,cr.mp,cr.hp can be very good if the opponent can't reactively block the st.hk.

Another great pattern with robo offensively is to crossup with j.mp and then double jump crossup back to the other side that she originated on. This fucks up people's blocking like stupid and can be mixed up with neutral jumping the jmp and staying on the other side, or simply landing into a low attack since the expected mixup is a crossup and a high, the low attack has a chance to work on 2 mixup fronts (non crossup, non high)

And at neutral robo has a good jump tactic for getting in when done unpredictably, jump backwards, double jump forward, j3hk it's kinda like a dive kick from high up. Be careful when using this because the jhk has no priority for beating out other attacks in most cases, but if your opponent isn't willing to commit or is unsuspecting, this is a very good offensive pattern when your opponent wanders to close for comfort.

So, robo is no slouch on offense either. Certainly not the best, her reoffense isn't the greatest, but she has the ranged game to not care.

Her jump attacks, how to use them:

Jhp:

Good on wiff to cancel into air laser. Protects robo from characters that want to run under the air laser. Call a projectile assist here and the coverage is even better.

Also nice as an upclose neutral jump instant jump attack if for some reason you want a little space between you or your opponent.

Instant superjump version has good priority when done early against regular jumps and lends itself towards higher mobility because robo can aerial recover into a double jump and do what she likes from there.

Jhk:

Good all around movement tool and great for tricky up close offense from double jumps. Great crossup.

J.mp:

Fire and forget offensive move when already close, this move is robos primary offense. Has a great abilty to stuff assists on startup because it's hits are so compacted together.

J.mk.

Computer robo loves to use this as a premptive air to air and chained into a jhk into a full confirm, so naturally I started doing this as well, and yeah it ain't bad in that way and robo can get great air to air conversions this way.

Also good as a general jumpin when coming down from runaway jumps on defense and offensive double jump stuff on offense.

J.lk: haven't found to much of a use for this yet. I suspect it would be much like parasouls jlk but without the range and hit box.

J.lp: great in double jump offensives to throw off an opponents pushblock, great as a falling normal during air to ground resets to hit the opponent before they hit you.

Overall:

Robo is a character that is far from being figured out, but my hypothesis for her is that she is a character that does best when mixing in offense and defense. Her defense helps her offense by making the other characters come to her. Her offense helps her defense by making the other character run away from her.

She is a character that needs to have a gameplan and needs to constantly mix her stuff up. But I feel like if she does do this she is a very good character.

Well at the very least a very fun and dynamic character :) happy hunting and I know none of this is groundbreaking in the least. This is just here to help out others that haven't figured a lot of her out or need a bit of help trying to formulate a cohesive gameplan.

I know it wasn't the whole point of your post, Dime, but you can't call assist while double jumping, remember.

You can get 3 heads in one combo with assist and 2 alone now as well as full screen positioning and still be + frames, I think this might be good for Robo to do. You do sacrifice a bit of damage or the reset opportunity, but you get a full set of heads to use which could last you through mroe than just 1 character.

I like this kind of resource based character, Robo is a lot of fun.

Last edited:
Reactions: Rabeye and Dime
I know it wasn't the whole point of your post, Dime, but you can't call assist while double jumping, remember.

You can get 3 heads in one combo now as well as full screen positioning and still be + frames, I think this might be good for Robo to do. You do sacrifice a bit of damage or the reset opportunity, but you get a full set of heads to use which could last you through mroe than just 1 character.

I like this kind of resource based character, Robo is a lot of fun.

I reread part of that and I don't see where I said to double jump and call assist...

Oh ok yeah the second pattern... Good catch!

I presume what I was doing was calling the assist right before the second jhk... I guess :)

I write these things mostly from memory and feel. I hope you took more away from that post than just that though!

Yeah I like robo a lot as well. Still don't have good feel on how to work her head attacks into my gameplay yet though. Getting heads is easy, using them is much harder I feel.

I mostly like Kamikaze. Pretty good fireball to chase down or to cover an angle while you beam another or even replace the head if you feel risky.

Mine is ok but I'm feeling it more as a pressure tool than anything else right now. Need to get more games in to see its defensive use, it does stop ground approaches, but is that really all that fantastic in SG.

Missiles I need to experiment with because so far I don't really have anything. They are a delayed hitbox that can make you trade well with basically anything, opponent has to keep it in mind for the whole time its off screen. Can combo break for you, even allowing you to completely momentum shift. It isn't hard to avoid but you can probably force people to move with it. Of course this all sounds great but it IS really expensive, which can't be ignored.

Reactions: PME and The Dave
Do we have any idea what the last palettes are?
I remember seeing some colors in her initial reveal that never saw the light of day.
I'm rooting for one of them, but I'll keep it to myself and just cry quietly if it doesnt make it in.

I'm hoping for Sektor and Cyrax palettes.

Reactions: dMags
Really hoping for that Mischief Makers palette.

Palettes 23 and 24 are done, just not in yet.

Who are the best robo fortunes out there right now to keep track of, and are there any good robo fortune vids out there yet?

The only decent robos I know of so fat are mpgame and mmds.

But I'm looking for a robo that is really starting to put the movement options together well.

idk... i don't play the robot in matches but for dumb combo ideas you could try to steal someones robo kitten combos. mmmhh.

Can't speak to his actual match play, but Zevak has come up with some rather creative stuff in the combo thread.

this is a total "cannot be unseen" thing for me, but does anybody else see Mr. Burns head ( from the Simpsons) flying across the screen when Robo does Headrone RAM ?

it's okay if you didn't make a Robo Trailer. You guys made a trailer for the whole release of 2nd Encore which I feel is a little bit more important to let people out there know that SG is still here and that it is improved.

@Mike_Z if I want to do Danger+assist I have to do 623+buttons (623+MK+HP for example) but I can't do 6236+MK+HP because that would give me a beam instead of Danger. Probably way too late to ask for this and probably can't be fixed without doing something bad to the button hierarchy, but is there a way you can fix this?

sounds like the fix is hit 3 and not 6

Except everywhere else in the game you can do sloppy DP's and still do fine...?

I mean, technically it's not a DP; no one said anything about sloppy quarter circles.

@Mike_Z if I want to do Danger+assist I have to do 623+buttons (623+MK+HP for example) but I can't do 6236+MK+HP because that would give me a beam instead of Danger. Probably way too late to ask for this and probably can't be fixed without doing something bad to the button hierarchy, but is there a way you can fix this?
Can be fixed pretty easily, except that if I fix it you WON'T be able to do beam+assist at ALL, you'll always get Danger. So I left it this way because at least if you do a correct DP you can choose which one to get...