• As part of the relaunch of Skullheart, ALL previous threads have been archived. You can find them at the bottom of the forum in the Archives (2021) section. The archives are locked, so please use the new forum sections to create new discussion threads.

RWBY

Nice, I should get to building.

Ruby Rose (Mixel).png

Saw the first episode of the new season awhile ago which was a bit over 15 min long. Summary in tag. Don't open if you didn't watch episode yet and want the surprise. It might not be out to non sponsors quite yet.

Episode starts out with Ruby visiting her mom's grave saying what happened/going to happen before tournament. Kind of makes you feel like it's a Monty tribute too.

FzKau0r.png

Then suddenly cuts to tournament action on the giant floating structure with team RWBY of Beacon vs team ABRN of Haven. How the festival structure works is through the rounds it goes from the entire team, then duo, then single fights as you advance. The battlefield environmental structure sections is decided randomly from ice, forest, etc before fight begins. The areas also seems to have sources of Dust that can help with your weapons that hunters/huntresses can use to their advantage. Your eliminated from the fight either from having your aura level go too low from sustained damage [think it was below 15% or something] or go out of bounds. In the 4 vs 4 team fight the winner is decided when the entire opponent team is eliminated. Not surprisingly team RWBY wins flawlessly where Blake takes out one member via too much damage/ring out and Yang takes out the other three [with the help of Weiss who froze two of them in a giant snowball that was slowly heading to out of bounds which forced the last remaining member to stop it and Blake who gave Yang a momentum rubber-band boost] via ring out from a punch when the remaining three were bunched together.

O5kWyRr.jpg

After the match RWBY goes find a place to eat, but then Ruby is called by Emerald about Ruby "dropping" [Emerald likely pickpocket her as excuse to talk to her] her wallet and returned it to her. Emerald keeps up her innocent facade with Ruby and haves conversation. Conversation goes from Ruby asking how Emerald's team [Cinder's group of Cinder, Emerald, Mercury, and "mysterious" 4th member that are posing as Haven students] did which shows a brief flashback of their fight earlier dominating. Interesting moment was it showed the black hair pigtailed girl from the trailer being the 4th member and just as she sadistically walks over to a knocked down opponent her green eyes goes from this...
n9SOaPf.png

UaTSGOU.png

4zPNJuj.png

Nj7GsCQ.png

....to this just before she stomps on opponents head. So yeah disguised Neo is 4th member of that team. Conversation also goes to Emerald casually asking what duo has RWBY decided which the team said they decided via vote it would be Ruby and Weiss. Ruby invites Emerald to go eat with them, but politely declines making the excuse she has to to keep an eye on her 'socially awkward' teammates. When they separate Emerald ditches the facade as she meets up with Mercury and feels disgusted with how "happy" they are. Interesting to note Mercury got a new VA for this season which is Yuri Lowenthal. Mercury asks if she got the intel and said yes it's the "heiress" and the "bimbo" fighting in the duos.

RWBY finds a place to eat that is owned by that one old guy who seems to have a job everywhere. Yang/Ruby gets a big bowl of noodles, Weiss gets one too awkwardly, and Blake gets a bowl of fish. Being the rich girl she is, Weiss offers to pay for the meal for everyone with her credit card, but is surprised when it was declined.

aIqlSiA.png

Then team JNPR shows up with Pyrrha offering to pay and eats with RWBY. RWBY and JNPR are both full after the meal and talk about when JNPR is starting their match. JNPR's mood is mixed with Pyrrha being optimistic, Lie being Lie [now being voiced by Monty's brother], Jaune being pessimistic when Nora joked about his usefulness, and Nora going from excited to sad at the possibility of them losing and the exaggerated consequences [although it's interesting to note that she mentions that both her and Lie has no parents or a home to go to which I'm not sure she is joking about] that will follow. Announcement happens where JNPR needs to go to the arena for their upcoming fight and RWBY wishes them luck. [defeat flag?]

0gY98gO.png

JNPR fight is about to start as RWBY and Cinder's group prepare to watch as spectators. Apparently Cinder's group reflects that this fight might still be entertaining even if they know who will win [another lose flag?]. Either this means someone got sabotaged, they are confident on how much more skilled one team is over the other, or they are just that arrogant. I know last season Cinder's group got intel about Pyrrha so that might come into play? Either way the episode ends as JNPR's fight begins against some other team [don't remember name and which academy].
9uQercu.jpg

Then the new OP plays. No next episode preview of course.

All in all pretty good premier for the season. I didn't think there would be this much action right out the gate and there seems to be even more action soon. Had nice amount of comedy, action, and serious moments. Animation didn't seem to suffer. They used stills rather then models for a scene where it showed all those people watching the tournament on television, but besides that it's not S1 bad where it's shadows/silhouettes and more comparable to S2 improvements which is nice considering the stadium has a ton of spectators. Hopefully JNPR doesn't lose this early especially against a likely fodder team. Kind of want them to go at it against RWBY eventually since the food fight didn't really show how well they would go against each other.

Saw the first episode of the new season awhile ago which was a bit over 15 min long. Summary in tag. Don't open if you didn't watch episode yet and want the surprise. It might not be out to non sponsors quite yet.
Hyyyyyyyyyyype

Its actually Yang and Weiss they elected to fight in the second round.

Also the voice of Mercury is now done by Yuri Lowenthal.

Is it me or did Ruby's dad look really out of place right here? Like, his model doesn't look like the rest.
upload_2015-10-25_16-43-19.png

heck you don't even need account just go to the website

I also watched it the same day it was released, it just comes out a few hours later for non-sponsors

heck you don't even need account just go to the website

I also watched it the same day it was released, it just comes out a few hours later for non-sponsors
I remember volume 1 and 2 were only an hour difference between sponsors and non-sponsors, how much for this volume?

You can watch the day after if you have a non-sponsor Rooster Teeth account.
I can't load the website very well, and this laptop prob can't handle the stuff it runs on. That and with my super terrible bandwidth, I wouldn't be able to load the video.. Only way I could watch it is Youtube on a lower quality =\

So after getting to watch the first episode, I have to say, the acting really isn't that good. Everything seems kind of forced out, so much more with everyone that isn't Ruby.

EDIT: Alsoe ending cockblock

Last edited:
Um...can you list better examples? like who and when?

I really like Emerald here. And Mercury is now being voiced by the legendary Yuri Lowenthall, which is so bizarre and obvious at the same time because he is literally everyone and everywhere >.>

Um...can you list better examples? like who and when?
When the team is talking to Emerald. I can understand Emerald forcing it out because she hates them, but all the voice acting just seems kind of off.

It was pretty much a given Nora's Semblance would be electricity-based.
I did NOT predict Neptune's ironic fear, however.

And Scarlet is a pirate. Who got hit in the nuts with a nut.

Crow Bar. Where Qrow is getting drunk. Ha.

Finally got around watching the latest

Team JNPR wins. Jaune held on to his own well showing how much he improved and made numerous smart team directions as leader barring the whole team move name meeting during a match. Pyrrha unsurprisingly held her own well to the point where she handled two opponents on her own for a time. Norra was a good asset and her semblance was revealed which gives her affinity with electricity which gave her an advantage in the thunderstorm area. She also forced the sniper hiding in the trees out with her grenade launcher with splash damage/smoke aftermath forcing her out. Ren probably did the least and kind of was disappointing. I guess his main accomplishment besides repeatedly getting hit was taking advantage of his high movement speed to distract the sniper which thinking back is still useful. Anyway Norra hammered the entire team out and JNPR advances with no loss.

See a dude drinking in bar looking unimpressed with the fight then cuts to next fight

Team SSSN fights now with Sun, Neptune, Scarlet, and Sage. Forgot that Weiss had a thing with Neptune and when he flirted with the opponent team she was pretty mad. Arena was desert/ocean/mountain. Learned that Neptune ironically fears the water and goes up top on the mountain on the opponents end insisting the 'enemy wouldn't expect it' as the excuse which the other team confirms that. Sage get ringed out fast by a tornado type attack. Sun took out one opponent with numerous hits. Scarlet avoids being tornado out by grabbing on a mast. Scarlet holds his own and gets some damage in, but is eventually knocked out when Sun's own redirected coconuts hits him hard in a man's weakspot. Sun finds himself 1 on 3 and demands Neptune to start helping him who was still busy on the otherside of the arena at the high ground. After an argument Neptune finally starts helping and shoots one of the opponents for some damage . Other team happens to be in the ocean arena and Neptune takes them all out because his weapon has electricity affinity.

Same dude is drunk and is unimpressed. Then he notices a flying craft outside the bar and reluctantly has to leave. Weiss sees this same craft and seems happy about seeing it and this is episode end

So yeah even more fighting this time around with two matches being the majority of the episode. Next episode is likely gonna calm things down with more exposition.

buffering S3E1 right now on Youtube. I'm glad they put Monty's Signature in there.. really hits home...

edit: Watched E1. Dude, the animations have gotten better, I'm pleased. Plus the face animations have gotten a huge... er... Facelift.. in it's animation and rigging. I laughed too hard at Blake and her kitty personality XD

Hate being behind everyone by a week, but I'm excited for the next episode.

Last edited:
I am liking the new season/volume/thing. But the animation or framing or something of the shots are really weird and throwing me off

Spoilers about the two episodes are inside this block of spoilers. Enter at your own risk etc.
The fight between rwby and that other team in the first episode was really well done overall. The guy with the pink hair and the gun that was frozen seemed to be just standing around not really sure what he should be doing in general. Just felt...pointless.

The JNPR was really good really enjoyed seeing the team in action with a much more capable Jaune

The SSSN fight...some sequences were great others were just bad. Example would be the whole Whirlwind why the green haired guy stood still and watched it happen. I know its showing off but i feel like it could have been done faster and with a bit more reaction from the green hair guy. The neptune afraid of water shtick was old the moment it started. Then they won by electrical current in the water. I was thinking he announced it openly and the girls just stood in the water. To be honest i would have loved to see this mess of a team lose. Cause to me they feel like the comic relief and i rather see the other team advance tbh. Messssyyyy. These are my thoughts on it. I am enjoying the season overall despite being two episodes in

Yes/No Answer please:

Did they show Nora's Semblance in Episode 2? Pretty excited to catch it on youtube when it lands and was wondering.

7 min preview of Japanese Volume 1 RWBY posted by WB Anime

Most of the video shows the first half of the pilot episode while the end part shows off the other voiced characters in various scenes. Reminds me how basic volume 1 feels with the silhouettes and stuff.

Back