• As part of the relaunch of Skullheart, ALL previous threads have been archived. You can find them at the bottom of the forum in the Archives (2021) section. The archives are locked, so please use the new forum sections to create new discussion threads.

SG2 Ideas/Speculation (Lab Zero Please Ignore)

tbh we could do without the ahegao faces

Also, can't think of any lore reason for Filia's skirt to be that short.

Valentines over the top outfit is for due to her job and personality. I hate to say this but lore wins here
I don't even mind how mini a dress it is. The short skirts lead to panty shots because that's what happens when you fight in a short skirt, but Valentine's top seems glued on, especially obvious when she's one of the most movement-heavy characters.
Here's the reason I've observed.
latest

Every single girl in Maplecrest or Filia's ending has a miniskirt. Soul's and Victoria's are possibly shorter and definitely tighter. So as I said, it seems to be about societal norms, which makes perfect sense to me when I think about how real-world cultures have treated sexuality across different eras and nations, and isn't that far removed from modern norms.

Filia's clothes dont fit her because she's borrowing from other people because she's homeless and couch surfing.

I think in sg2 each character should have three moons so the cast size effectively becomes 42 characters.

and then I want grooves.

Reactions: Fumako and Magma442
I think the aghego faces are funny, besides every character has them even BB and beowulf.

Filia's clothes dont fit her because she's borrowing from other people because she's homeless and couch surfing.
But she's wearing her school uniform. Which is from Maplecrest, which Samson should be avoiding.

Oh, and if the other Maplecrest girls in her school didn't have short skirts, my explanation would be "the old Filia decided on it."
I think in sg2 each character should have three moons so the cast size effectively becomes 42 characters.
Why tho.

I guess they could do this for Sword Filia. Keep "old Filia," modified as necessary, to utilize as many old assets as possible and be the rushdown shoto, and then Filia using hairpin swords with more of a mid-range fighting style. They could even use both in story mode where either she loses the swords at some point, or starts without them trying to find Delilah's swords (or something along those lines).

Here's the reason I've observed.
So... they have short skirts that show their underwear because they have short skirts that show their underwear? I don't feel like that's enough to defend it, but sure. However, if we accept that this society doesn't censor sexuality (and that that dictates the length of school skirts) then it feels like Val and Bella's reasons for having a lot of T&A feels less valid. What's the point in "showing it off to distract your opponents" if you see it's literally everywhere?

Doesn't really make sense to me however you explain it.
I think the aghego faces are funny, besides every character has them even BB and beowulf.
BB doesn't really, not the same as everyone else. I didn't say they weren't funny or you couldn't like them, just that their a little much sometimes. Bella does kinda drools on her boobs.

So... they have short skirts that show their underwear because they have short skirts that show their underwear? I don't feel like that's enough to defend it, but sure. However, if we accept that this society doesn't censor sexuality (and that that dictates the length of school skirts) then it feels like Val and Bella's reasons for having a lot of T&A feels less valid. What's the point in "showing it off to distract your opponents" if you see it's literally everywhere?
Well, the characters that show cleavage are the more showy ones. Filia, Parasoul and Mrs. Victoria don't.

Actually it is pretty creepy for a girl who was 14 at the time to be showing cleavage like Squigly... but it's also pretty weird to think Squigly is supposed to be 14 years old physically, she doesn't look any younger than Filia.

My two cents:

Fighting games are intrinsically aggravating because one party is encouraged to keep the other from doing anything. Players keeping gameplay away from other players is built into competing. Hence a lot of new players' frustration with Skullgirls really fast gameplay. It feels like you can't do anything, even though there are resets and mixups and such on the high-level. I don't see this going away because the competitive scene seems really into this and Mike's really into the competitive scene. From what I've seen, he likes "mean" things with Juggernaut or Potemkin.

Hence why I hope for more single player content. Fighting games do characterization through gameplay and animation really, really well. This is part of the appeal behind crossover games. I don't so much like to play Marvel as I like to play Dr. Doom and Hulk. Arcade mode is basically a 1v1 beat 'em up, and can be really fun until you get to the really frustrating final boss. Nobody likes to feel helpless.

Also, I like the fanservice. "We don't care we're sexy" is really cool to me. Adds a kind of a burlesque feel to it, especially Cerebella. If you don't like it for lore reasons, just blame Eliza for subtly manipulating humanity in a vaguely Art Deco direction. If I recall, Alex said she's responsible for pretty much every messed up thing in Skullgirls.

My two cents:

Fighting games are intrinsically aggravating because one party is encouraged to keep the other from doing anything. Players keeping gameplay away from other players is built into competing. Hence a lot of new players' frustration with Skullgirls really fast gameplay. It feels like you can't do anything, even though there are resets and mixups and such on the high-level. I don't see this going away because the competitive scene seems really into this and Mike's really into the competitive scene. From what I've seen, he likes "mean" things with Juggernaut or Potemkin.
Heh, yeahh, he did set out to make an accessible fighting game, but he also believes in "easy momentum, difficult turnarounds."

"Easy combos, hard reversals" was his exact wording.
If you don't like it for lore reasons, just blame Eliza for subtly manipulating humanity in a vaguely Art Deco direction. If I recall, Alex said she's responsible for pretty much every messed up thing in Skullgirls.
Eliza is responsible for Double, but not so much directly responsible for things. :P Apparently the Skullheart already existed too, but was probably different. ???

Eliza is responsible for Double, but not so much directly responsible for things. :P Apparently the Skullheart already existed too, but was probably different. ???
She probably severely pissed off an otherwise neutral Skullheart with the whole "betrayal and child murder" thing. "Only you shall never be forgiven."

More, I think she's responsible for more subtle aspects of society. "Eliza" has been an ongoing idol for hundreds of years; mortals think its a different actress each generation due to a change of hair style. Fashion, architecture, reliance on violence, prestige, and threats to solve problems- these, at least, are partly her fault. Hell, I wouldn't be surprised if the Medicis are remnants of her old army. Art Deco has many Egyptian influences. Likewise, it makes sense that women would be more comfortable flaunting what they've got when they grew up with this:
latest

Reactions: HiroProtagonest
I would like to see mini games like in Injustice's Star labs missions

I mean that's sorta a thing with the trials however some minigames like the way MK and injustice does them would be fun.

She probably severely pissed off an otherwise neutral Skullheart with the whole "betrayal and child murder" thing. "Only you shall never be forgiven."

More, I think she's responsible for more subtle aspects of society. "Eliza" has been an ongoing idol for hundreds of years; mortals think its a different actress each generation due to a change of hair style. Fashion, architecture, reliance on violence, prestige, and threats to solve problems- these, at least, are partly her fault. Hell, I wouldn't be surprised if the Medicis are remnants of her old army. Art Deco has many Egyptian influences. Likewise, it makes sense that women would be more comfortable flaunting what they've got when they grew up with this:
latest
Hm... eh, it's really hard to tell what kind of influence that would have over centuries, since mass-broadcasting has made for similar influences in the last couple decades, but not even close to the same timespan. Which is another thing, they do have color TV currently in Skullgirls, but how much influence could she have had in her showiness before that?
I mean that's sorta a thing with the trials however some minigames like the way MK and injustice does them would be fun.
Mike has stated in the Indivisible thread that he is really against developing minigames.

Buuut... that MvC giant thing with Gigans.

"Eliza" has been an ongoing idol for hundreds of years; mortals think its a different actress each generation due to a change of hair style.

You're thinking of Annie.

Oh yeah, the hairstyle thing is specifically Annie. Eliza should be doing the same, though. She takes on different names, but Samson and Leviathan instantly recognized her as Neferu.

I thought they both pulled the hair trick? Time to dig up the canon info thread...

Ah, here we are!

Word of Alex said:
2. How long has Annie's show been on TV? Do people know that she is immortal because of a Skullheart wish?
* She hides by getting different hairstyle. Eliza doing a similar trick

Which is another thing, they do have color TV currently in Skullgirls, but how much influence could she have had in her showiness before that?
Given the popularity of fashion idols pre-TV, pretty likely. Though now I imagine Eliza in jittery black and white experimental footage during film's invention. You know, like the old Edison test footage?

latest

Ehhh, I think out of the three known immortals (Eliza, Annie, Double) Eliza actually had the least influence. And admittedly, Art Deco is also hellva inspired by greek and roman influences too. Plus, I always thought the fanservice was, in a way, a highly exaggerate reflection of the generational gap of the 1910s through 1920s. WW1 might have had a role in the change too.
for reference:

1910s fashion

dress-timeline-191-to-1919.jpg

1920s:

4f663e35794e9a5b8cf18a51744a3a97.jpg

that said, Its hard to tell what Eliza has done given we know very little about her time between the death of the trinity and the events of Skullgirls

Staying on topic, All I want for SG 2 is a playable Marie. And true story mode

Reactions: ArgonBern
Staying on topic, All I want for SG 2 is a playable Marie. And true story mode
The implication that SG2's story will still be the same one is... well, wrong, considering they've already said Eliza will be the antagonist, implying it will be in the future (I doubt it's in the past when they're also holding on to every fighter for dear life).

The true story is also... kind of an obvious idea. That's pretty much the first thing they have to tackle for a sequel.

Playable Marie being important is also the only reason I'm not against that idea, but that's my own thing. HOW'S ANNIE

Last edited:
If Eliza is the next antagonist, I hope the end credits ends with her singing a song - just like how In a Moment's Time was from the Skull-Heart's perspective.

Though, her as the big villain intrigues me. Will she maintain her glamorous lounge-singer personality? Or rule the world in the guise of that huge blood monster? It would be a huge waste to rob her of her personality and make her just a gigantic monster. But, on that train of thought, how would Eliza taking over the world change things? Would everything still be so 1920s inspired? Or more like a WW2 war theme, with propaganda everywhere?

If Eliza is the next antagonist, I hope the end credits ends with her singing a song - just like how In a Moment's Time was from the Skull-Heart's perspective.

Though, her as the big villain intrigues me. Will she maintain her glamorous lounge-singer personality? Or rule the world in the guise of that huge blood monster? It would be a huge waste to rob her of her personality and make her just a gigantic monster. But, on that train of thought, how would Eliza taking over the world change things? Would everything still be so 1920s inspired? Or more like a WW2 war theme, with propaganda everywhere?
IIRC, she's kind of based on Dr. Doom and Apocalypse, who were also final bosses in the Versus games. So, probably maintain a lot of her current personality, but remaking everything in her image. Paint the town red...

As for breaking into song, what villain doesn't have the occasional musical number? Even Doom toots his own horn.
1818bf9e8c7113cff033165e17c5a87a.jpg

Reactions: Commodus
So, I had an idea that might be relevant here: an all-grappler fighting game

Scrubs like myself don't like being comboed reset for eternity. One of the things that makes Cerebella a good starter character is that her grabs teach spacing and observation. People have speculated about a footsies-heavy game since Divekick. Plus, this would be a very clear way to be "not Skullgirls" while reusing many of the same assets. As long as the grabs aren't too long (more Diamond Drop, less Spinning Piledriver), you can be grappled without feeling helpless. Other moves could involve mobility and maybe placing traps.

Thoughts? Examples of how this has been done already?

Reactions: Undeadtoon
So, I had an idea that might be relevant here: an all-grappler fighting game
I refuse to let Mike anywhere near this idea. The horror...
Scrubs like myself don't like being comboed reset for eternity. One of the things that makes Cerebella a good starter character is that her grabs teach spacing and observation. People have speculated about a footsies-heavy game since Divekick. Plus, this would be a very clear way to be "not Skullgirls" while reusing many of the same assets. As long as the grabs aren't too long (more Diamond Drop, less Spinning Piledriver), you can be grappled without feeling helpless. Other moves could involve mobility and maybe placing traps.

Thoughts? Examples of how this has been done already?
I'm all for a footsies fighting game in this day and age where the best recent fighters are "anime fighters," but I don't think Skullgirls should be it. Like you said, this is "not Skullgirls" with much of the same art. Huge reason I like this game is because I can just go into training mode and figuring out which parts of a combo can be reset. And then that's half the actual match. The other half is that intense yomi going on with resets. I really like combos because they're a sort of breather, yet you can drop it for a reset at enough points that it's not just "three more seconds until I put my hand back on the controller." Plus dropping combos under pressure means there is some skill, it's not just a cutscene for BOTH players.

Mike also likes combos. He's said on Twitter that his philosophy is "easy combos, hard reversals."

Maybe Punch Planet will be a good footsies game.

---

I've also thought some more about the sexiness and outfits in Skullgirls. I'll put my (definitely not professional) thoughts in a spoiler.
I've bounced back and forth between Skullgirls being fine as it is and that I feel - as I once told a friend - "there's a certain level I just have to accept with Skullgirls". Skullgirls is not unique for having sexy fighters. Street Fighter, King of Fighters, Guilty Gear, BlazBlue, all of them have lots of sexy women wearing sexy outfits. Hell, the only meaningful difference between Filia and Sakura is that Sakura's kicks are staged away from the camera so it doesn't catch the panty shots, and Sakura is one of the designs I like more (SF Makoto's still the best). And Valentine is very clearly based on Mai.

For this reason, toning this down doesn't ruin the "uniqueness" of this game. I feel like we can keep the outfits with only some modifications. I will NOT change the bodies of the characters. The characters can be sexy, just less sexualized, but only for those who don't have the personality for it ("sexualized" is still not "objectified" and this is the difference. I've heard the argument "you can't objectify fictional characters," but dissonance between personality and how they treat their appearance is bad). The outfits are still close to what I want.

Actual suggestions in bold. Rest is explanation.

Filia:
Longer skirt, still above her knees.
At least down to the point where her stockings currently reach. If you still want that zettai ryuoiki, then shorter stockings. She may still have panty shots on her highest kicks, but less often. Maybe button up the bottom of her shirt? Depends on the reasoning for bare-belly in the first place (has to be in-universe, not meta, because like I said, these are based on their personalities. Of course, “the button broke and she’s a hobo” is good enough).

Personally I’d add bike shorts like Ajna’s, but that seems like a distinctly Skullgirls 2 thing for a more mature and athletic Filia. Also this is "personally," important word there.

Parasoul:
I don’t think a loose skirt would suit her, and I think a longer tight skirt would ruin whatever suspension of disbelief there is with her being able to fight in that thing. Pants are right out, she is a lady. Just give her tights, like she already has in a bunch of her palettes.

Have to decide what colors to use, though… I think adding black tights would veer too much towards looking like the Baroness from G.I. Joe. On the other hand, Parasoul is the “bad guy symbolism that's actually not” character in the first place, so if you want that, go for it. But maybe change the color of her turtleneck or skirt (I don’t think it would look good to have different-color tights on her current design, but I’m not the best at visualizing).

Ms. Fortune:
TURN HER LEG THINGS INTO REAL PANTS. Or capri pants. Capri pants would still show the knee scars. There’s already those bits of cloth on her legs which seem to defy gravity, in addition to basically giving panty shots all the time right now.

Valentine:
She just needs a push-up bra of some description. She kinda has this as an option on her color map, but it looks pretty... weak. Her extremely low-cut top looks like it should lead to so many nip-slips. I think a slightly visible bra would be sexier than just moving the top up. It would be one thing if she was a glacier like Parasoul, but Val is incredibly mobile.

EDIT: It might just be kept on by those... things? that show up during her counter.
Ea6uejv.png

Quick note on Cerebella, Eliza:
The physics of their outfits seem better than Val’s to my untrained eye (also Eliza’s clothes are made entirely out of blood so they never slip), and it suits how they act. No changes.

Male designs:
No tl;dr here, kinda rambley and half-baked.
Nothing against the guys that already exist, but there’s some distinct differences compared to the girls. Of course there’s going to be some differences, but I feel like there’s too much of a gap here. The solution is not bulges, that's equivalent of cameltoe, not boobs. Indivisible has a great variety of men (although most of them have big noses) along with the variety of women, and the team’s art experience has only grown with time, so I have faith that Lab Zero’s artists can do this.

Last edited:
Reactions: Undeadtoon