• As part of the relaunch of Skullheart, ALL previous threads have been archived. You can find them at the bottom of the forum in the Archives (2021) section. The archives are locked, so please use the new forum sections to create new discussion threads.

Shantae Series

If I was there I would play it, play Mighty Switch Force 2, hang out with Matt and his crew, and buy that Mighty Switch Force 2 poster off of them.
Is there a Mighty Switch Force 2 HD yet? I want to play that more than Mighty Switch Force 1 HD.

Is there a Mighty Switch Force 2 HD yet? I want to play that more than Mighty Switch Force 1 HD.

Nope, but they have thought about it in the past.

Reactions: Denizen
Firefighters need representation too...

I await for Mighty Switch Force 3 where she's a doctor and has a gun that shoots needles. Also, the hooligan sisters should be her nurses.

Scratch that. They actually are remaking it in HD but with a different art style.

Hooray! Shantae has been funded! Victory Dance!

ddd766b3a689015871f3e867bca1753c.gif

Reactions: Broseidon Rex
COMMENCE THE CELEBRATION MUSIC OF THE PLATFORMERS!

Hooray! Shantae has been funded! Victory Dance!

View attachment 275
AWESOOOOOME, FROM HERE ON OUT IT'S ALL GRAVY.
orig-21025787.jpg

But eeeww, I'm not a fan of that GIF.

Last edited:
Shantae is FULLY FUNDED

THANK YOU!!!! Your support and endless enthusiasm just made Half-Genie Hero a reality!!

We're fully funded and WayForward's staff is running around and high-fiving like there's no tomorrow! Thank you for your support and fan art, all of the noise you've been making on Facebook and Twitter and every kind of social media. We've got fans posting artwork at their local game stores, uploading images to Crunchyroll, and even stopping by in person at the Giant Robot event to push this game forward. Thanks to all of you!

We'd also like to recognize the Mighty No. 9 Team: Mr. Inafune, Inti Creates, 8-4, and Comcept for their help in promoting this project. Various press, publishers, and other developers have been showing their support as well, and we're so thankful to all of you. Whether you pledged a single dollar or tweeted a friend, this is your game! Here's us freaking out when the number hit $400K:

What's next? Now that this game is REALLY happening, we want it to be everything it can be. We'll make a great game at $400k. However, any additional pledges will raise the potential of this product even higher. If you want to see additional game features now's your time to make it happen. We're revealing 2 more Stretch Goals today: Playable Heroes and a new chapter! Check it out. And thank you once more for your kindness and generosity.

c04f697ac3164642d46f29ade5bf6a45_large.png

3252b9e3f8494f6dea742a6b26fb247b_large.png

Excuse me a minute.... AHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHH!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Last edited:
Hahaha the purple wig and the hair whipping was great. I almost expected him to take his shirt off and start dancing.
Time to be serious, I have a confession to make, I haven't donated yet. I have however downloaded Risky's Revenge in such a way that I actually payed for it. Turns out that if you download the Demo, then download the full version through the demo, you still get charged for it. I'm fine with that though, I like to support games I like and the demo icon is nicer. I just wanted everyone else to know just in case.
I haven't played Risky's Revenge yet because I'm working my way through the original game first. Damn, old platformers are hard, especially on a Kindle.

Reactions: Broseidon Rex
playable rottytops please thank you good bye

Reactions: Zeriam
playable rottytops please thank you good bye

I want this and Nega-Shantae so bad. It'll literally give me a nostalgia vibe of Darkwing Duck.

New Reward Tier Revealed! Let's Dance!

New Reward Tier: Backer-Exclusive Tinkerbat Transformation!

Remember how in the Game Boy Color original you could stick the cartridge into a Game Boy Advance and unlock the Tinkerbat? No? Well, believe you us it was the ultimate transformation, now known only to those who still own a physical copy of the game.

iJT5FK6.png

This new Backer Reward will be equally exclusive! Starting today, you can get this Kickstarter-only transformation by backing at the Tinkerbat Tier and above. Up your pledge and get a transformation you won’t find anywhere else! If you’ve already pledged above this tier, congratulations, you just got more cool stuff!

Let's Dance!
Magical Belly Dancing plays a big role in this game! As you explore, you’ll find Dance Tokens dropped by enemies, or hidden around the levels. Dance Tokens come in 3 flavors: Transformations, Boosts, and Summons. Once you discover a Dance Token, that dance is yours for keeps!

k1PIVCU.png

Using these magical abilities drains your Magic Meter. Refill it by collecting magic, which is dropped as you slaughter FOES and destroy JUGS.

How to perform a Belly Dance:

When the Dance Button is held, Shantae begins to groove to dance music. She will cycle through 3 dance poses. When she strikes a pose, this is your cue to release the button. She will activate whichever magic is associated with that pose!

GadxhLF.png

Dance Tokens from your collection are used to design a Custom Dance based on your personal preferences. You can “slot in” these tokens at any time on the Subscreen (or on the Wii U GamePad) by selecting (or tapping) them. You can even create multiple dances and assign them to a Hot Key (L2 or R2). Will you create a stat-boosting Boss Killer dance? Or an all-in-one animal transformation dance?​

GadxhLF.png
See, that right there, that's what I'm talking about. That's the Shantae I know and love. I'm really glad they're not changing her personality in this game. I can see just from these dance sketches that she's still the same girl.

Also I've decided to play Shantae on my laptop. I just can't play a reaction heavy game on a tablet, especially when it wasn't made for them.

PayPal is Ret-2-Go!

paypal-logo.png

Hey Gang! Now that we're fully funded, as promised we are opening our shiny new PayPal store for everyone that hasn't been able to join in the fun yet!

Shantae: Half-Genie Hero Paypal Store

It has all of the unlimited reward tiers ($5-$200, no $12 rewards are left) with both US and International shipping options. Once the Kickstarter campaign ends we will add the remaining limited reward tiers ($350-$10,000) as well.

We are currently planning on keeping the PayPal store open for several months after the Kickstarter campaign ends and all PayPal pledges will count toward the STRETCH GOALS! We'll update the main Kickstarter page with our PayPal total regularly so that everyone can see our continued progress ^_^

Wayforward finds a loophole!​

Last edited:
Wait wait! I'm getting a reading from the future!
December 5 2013 - Game developer Wayforward reports that Paypal are refusing to release funds raised for its Kickstarter project, Shantae: Half-Genie Hero. PayPal will release "up to 50 percent" of the game's funds prior to its completion, with the rest of the money to be released closer to the game's estimated launch date. Paypal President David Marcus explains, "We wanted to prevent this from happening for the 100th time, but then we realized that we didn't actually care."

Last edited:
Reactions: SpaceCadetKeon
3D Team Interview:
Say hello to WayForward’s 3D department! This in-depth interview will shine some light on this incredible process of taking a 2D image and crafting it into a fully developed 3D world. In this video you’ll hear first-hand from:

Damon Dubois: 3D Art Director. A 20 year industry veteran, Damon has worked on wide range of games across all major consoles. Damon has taken a lead role at Paradox Development (X-Men Mutant Academy 2, X-Men: Next Dimension), Midway Games (Mortal Kombat: Shaolin Monks, TNA iMPACT!, Mortal Kombat vs DC Universe), and WayForward (Batman: The Brave and the Bold, Silent Hill: Book of memories, and DuckTales: Remastered) Damon is a true master of the third dimension!

Ranko Prozo: Lead Environment Artist. Ranko has over 5 years of game industry experience having worked at Meteor games (Twin Skies and other various projects) and WayForward (Batman Brave and the Bold,Happy Feet 2,Centipede,Silent Hill Book of Memories, DuckTales: Remastered).

Tim Curry: Lead Technical Artist. Tim worked as a 3D artist at Arkadia Studios in Singapore on Entropia Universe MMO before coming to WayForward where he played a major role on DuckTales: Remastered. Tim is currently working on our newest round of WayForward tech, and enjoys teaching classes on game development from time to time.

Stretch Goal Reveal: Voices!

3511315b73a04765f9dad23108d4ab8d_large.png

We’re also revealing the next Stretch Goal today: Voices! We will be auditioning top industry talent to provide voice over for the entire cast of characters. Recordings will be in English, with translated subtitles for each additional language. WayForward has worked with some of the top voice talent in the world – from the cast of DuckTales all the way back to Kermit, Fozzie, and Gonzo in the mid-90’s. From Spongebob to Daffy Duck, we know how to write for, audition, coach, and record professional voice over. Let’s make this happen and really bring Shantae and friends to life!​

The fact that will never fucking ever happen just hurts so much more.

Did you read the Paypal update? This takes care of the stretch goal issue. I'll be able to save more now for this.

The fact that will never fucking ever happen just hurts so much more.
Another defeatist. Destroy him.

The weeds of doubt must not touch the flowers of hope.

Last edited:
Did you read the Paypal update? This takes care of the stretch goal issue. I'll be able to save more now for this.
Goddamn you Zeriam, you AND your disposable money!

Goddamn you Zeriam, you AND your disposable money!

Okay. I'll stop giving if you think I should. Everyone I enjoyed it while it lasted.

Zerian, you deserve to be a char in this F***ing game!

AS a playable character.
His ranged attack would be throwing money at people, hitting people with his wallet would be his melee attack, and finally, his super mode would just be dropping a giant paycheck on his enemies.

That's great but he has to drop two paychecks for his super.

You know, 'cause he has two jobs.

Reactions: Clawsome Bombs

I appreciate that, but I doubt Matt and them would do it unless there was a lot of fan feedback.

AS a playable character.
His ranged attack would be throwing money at people, hitting people with his wallet would be his melee attack, and finally, his super mode would just be dropping a giant paycheck on his enemies.

I actually have a moveset based on my character. Only problem is I need to animate some designs on it.

Maybe the Annie fans could help you zerian. in the fangame team there's a damn good 8-bit style spriter.

Maybe the Annie fans could help you zerian. in the fangame team there's a damn good 8-bit style spriter.

I don't know about that now. I think they have more important things to do than worry about this.

Last edited:
Reactions: SanoBaron
Stretch Goal: Risky Boots Mode

We’re at the halfway point between our initial funding goal, and the Risky Boots Stretch Goal! Today we’re taking a closer look at exactly what it will be like to play the part of the bodacious buccaneer.

bGBc4yr.png

Opening Cinematic:
At the start of our tale, Shantae wakes in the night and is drawn trance-like through the dark forest and into a secret cavern. She is transported to the Genie Realm, but returns a few moments later having witnessed a power beyond anything imaginable. Shantae leaves to embark on a grand adventure – but fails to notice the Tinkerbat spying from within the shadows… the tiny pirate minion skitters off to report this to its master.

Kickoff: Risky Mode begins with the above cinematic. From there, we descend on Risky’s pirate ship, and cut to her captain’s quarters; a large office dominated by a luxurious bathtub in which the Queen of the Seven Seas simmers and stews. The Tinkerbat minion reports, and within moments Risky Boots hatches a plan.

Goal: As Risky, your job is to raid, pillage, and plunder Sequin Land in search of items that will allow entry into the Genie Realm. After all, the ultimate power is there for the taking, and only one scrawny Half-Genie brat stands in the way. Like any door, this magical portal to the Genie Realm must have a key. To Risky’s logic, there’s no better starting point than the old man. Players will soon find that Uncle Mimic (Relic Hunter, living fossil, inventor, and Shantae’s only family member) is at large, and in his hasty exit he’s dropped a literal paper trail of blueprints. With the right parts, Risky’s Tinkerbats could construct some of these devices. With each blueprint she finds, Risky gains a new Tinker-Tool that will help her take down the old man and the brat, and finally gain entry to the fabled Genie Ream! Heave ho men!

lLD4Ve2.png

Gameplay:
Risky Mode uses the same overall location of the main Shantae storyline, with key story elements swapped, and the order of progression shuffled. As Risky gains Tinker-Tools, (Pistol upgrades, Grappling Hook, Shoulder Cannon) she will gain abilities that in some ways mirror Shantae’s “Dance Transformations”. But these moves are found in a different order, in unique locations meaning that even if you know Shantae’s Story, Risky Mode will be a completely new experience. Risky’s pirate-themed abilities could be aptly compared to the special moves seen in “Shantae and the Pirate’s Curse” for Nintendo 3DS. More examples:

-Shantae can whip, but Risky can slice with her scimitar!

-Shantae can become a flying creature, but Risky can use a grappling hook!

-Shantae can cast a fireball, but Risky has a pistol that fire various types of ammo!

-Shantae can become a small creature and enter a narrow space, but Risky can send a Tinkerbat in to do her bidding!

RHPlEE2.png

Let’s make this Stretch Goal happen
so we can double the fun! Remember too, that every additional Stretch Goal will expand the game’s features overall, giving both Shantae & Risky Boots more to do!​

Vote for your favorite Dance Transformation!

WQsjNZT.png

In each Chapter of the game, Shantae will defeat a boss and gain a Dance Transformation. When she dances, she can change into a new creature form with new abilities! Past games have seen Shantae changing into a wall-climbing Monkey, a boulder bashing Elephant, a web-climbing Spider, a deep-diving Mermaid, and even a Tinkerbat or Harpy. We have a few transformations planned that are vital to Shantae’s mobility. But the others will be decided by YOU, the VOTERS!

cj3OzHv.png

If you’ve pledged at the Contributor Reward Tier (and above), you’ll be voting for your favorites, and the winners will be put into the game. The number of total transformations is not set at this time, since our number of Chapters isn’t locked down yet (the more Chapter-based Stretch Goals we meet, the more transformations there will be).

ZKVD2xu.png

The new Custom Dance design allows us to be more flexible with the number of dances and transformations than before, so a “minor transformation” could simply be used to rocket into the sky, torch a thorn patch, or emit a screeching sound. Not all transformations need to have full mobility either (like say, a Tree-like Dryad that drops life-restoring fruit). We have tons of ideas and we bet you do too! Let’s earn that CONTRIBUTOR CREDIT and make this game burst with fresh ideas! Voting will occur during the game’s development, but ANYONE can throw ideas at us on the “Comments” message board.​