• As part of the relaunch of Skullheart, ALL previous threads have been archived. You can find them at the bottom of the forum in the Archives (2021) section. The archives are locked, so please use the new forum sections to create new discussion threads.

Shin Megami Tensei and Persona

1/2 can't be remade like 3/4. They're "classic" JRPGs. No social link BS, no single dungeon location with endless random rooms. And all chars could use the velvet room, even swap personas between them.

It'd need many times the work to be done. Even if the plot and characters are way deeper and the plot itself more serious

a modern persona 2 remake would probably remove the Jun option for being too bold and progressive :V
instead Jun's sexuality would be made ambiguous for the sake of hilarious jokes at his expense ha ha ha

Naw, I can see them bring respectful about it.

1/2 can't be remade like 3/4. They're "classic" JRPGs. No social link BS, no single dungeon location with endless random rooms. And all chars could use the velvet room, even swap personas between them.

It'd need many times the work to be done. Even if the plot and characters are way deeper and the plot itself more serious
People probably said that when SMT made the jump to 3D as well. You can easily improve P1 with making a 3D model move around a 3D space instead of the first person. And getting rid of the grid would improve the game's combat immensely. Like, they removed it for both Persona 2's and it worked. All it would take is some care and attention.

Too add onto that, they could easily do Persona 1 and 2 like 4, with a base to explore or a number of areas to visit and then you select a dungeon from a menu and unlock more via story/side quest progression.

i still wish i had the power to spread horrible rumors to my own dis/advantage

I mean, SMT IV proved that you could easily do all the world exploration mechanics.

SMT IV also has a massive laundry list of other issues from balance to the way it handled resources like money and exp (as in giving you no money from fights unless you go full talking powers).

But yeah, the world exploration worked pretty decently.

Can I just say that most of the Ultimates for the Persona 5 cast are terrible?

Can I just say that most of the Ultimates for the Persona 5 cast are terrible?

Spoilers but

Yes they are utter ass. The only one I think is half-decent is Anne's. The rest are overly designed and ridiculous. ESPECIALLY Haru's and Futaba's.

Mexican skull candy mech thing and dubstep rave chain chomp.

I think Futaba's looks good. and it's not overly designed at all. it's basically a black ball with rainbow linework on it. and the fire effects add a little bonus to the name of her Ultimate.

you mean to tell me that persona designs have gone down the tube since they stopped being designed by Kaneko?
weird
Silence you contrarian sausage. This is a happy place }:U

Silence you contrarian sausage. This is a happy place }:U
Not my fault that Personas ain't beautiful fashion models anymore

instead we get
whatever the edgy trash in Persona 5 is

Too add onto that, they could easily do Persona 1 and 2 like 4, with a base to explore or a number of areas to visit and then you select a dungeon from a menu and unlock more via story/side quest progression.

I disagree again: Unlike Persona 3/4/5, you have no "home base" to go into multiple places. The map progression is constant, like Final Fantasy.

Spoilers but

Yes they are utter ass. The only one I think is half-decent is Anne's. The rest are overly designed and ridiculous. ESPECIALLY Haru's and Futaba's.

Mexican skull candy mech thing and dubstep rave chain chomp.
The MC's is cool.

Anne's is cool.

Morgana's is cool.

The rest suck.

The MC's is cool
if you think that's cool might i also recommend
Dirgeofcerberususbox.jpg

Reactions: PaperBag_Sniper
you mean to tell me that persona designs have gone down the tube since they stopped being designed by Kaneko?
weird
you say that but, Persona 4 has really great designs of personas throughout.
the only one I think is kinda meh is Chie's.
it's not even bad, just more of in the middle.

Last edited:
I wouldn't say Kaneko is a better artist, just more creative when it comes to demon designs.

In terms of persona, I'd say they're about even.

People probably said that when SMT made the jump to 3D as well.
We weren't completely wrong and the fact that (in my opinion) Strange Journey is a better example of a modern SMT game than IV says something.

Edit: Unless we're counting the Digital Devil games and Nocturne in which case those got it right but that's not what IV accomplished.

I remember talking about this maybe last year but the gameplay structure of 1/2 is so different especially with how they structure the group. There is a Main character (Tasuya/Maya) but the whole group feels important and this is demonstrated through the battles as well. The fact that anyone can use any persona means so much and I really do miss that aspect of the games (just like I miss how demons used to not level up).

you say that but, Persona 4 has really great designs of personas throughout.
I actually think that Persona 4 has the weakest designs in the franchise. Kaneko may have had more subdued designs by comparison but the amount of information that he packs into them, and how good he makes them look is definitely a grade above what was done in P4.

I think persona 3's are the weakest personally, because of stuff like Polydeuces have stupid tiny limbs just making it look cartoony

Kaneko's persona designs, in P2 especially, all have this really ethereal and uncanny feel to them, but also a very notable inspiration from weird high fashion. It's something that can't really be replicated and I think the series has lost something without his design sense. The designs these days just seem like they're trying to be hip with the kids and dont' really have some of the neat details that Kaneko would integrate

Kaneko is god tier, basically.

I like some of the character and persona art in 3-5 (though the p4a art and IIRC Golden art is a massive downgrade for 4), but Kaneko is untouchable.

Reactions: PaperBag_Sniper
It's a shame he can't draw faces and feet.

Like, in terms of human designs, I would say Doi is the best in terms of human design.

Last edited:
Gonna need to specify on citation of what? How Kaneko has same-face or how I like Doi's design?

Kaneko has anything but same-face syndrome. I can't think of a single protag who's face isn't distinctive.

well then you're definitely in the minority on that.

Like, if I were to take away the designs and just left the faces, they would look the same. Like, when I walked around and talked to people in DDS, it's very obvious that Kankeko rarely differenciates between eye shape, lips, and noses. Brows might change but not that drastic. That isn't to say that I think he is immensely creative in terms of his demon designs. Like, there's a reason they still are being used today. Although my favorite demon/persona design will always be Hell Biker.

Random npc's 3d models is kind of a bad example.

Compare Strange Journey "High cheekbones doomguy" to demifiend to Serph to Kazuma to aleph, etc. Don't need no costume to tell those dudes apart.

No, I mean the main crew the main character is with in the beginning of the game. Not some rando NPC. The beginning of DDS lets you talk with those same people that are featured in the opening.

And on the other side of the spectrum, if you were to take away Raidou's sideburns, and the green lines on Demi-Fiend's face, They're the same. Like, my experience with Kaneko's art is mostly the PS2/PS1 era, so things like strange journey where Kaneko had a lot of time to improve isn't really what I'm referring to.

And this thread will probably do the same song and dance about artists for another 10 times after this, so I just want to make a preface. I don't think ANY of the Atlus artists are bad. Period. They all have their strength and weaknesses. From same face to boob shelfs. I know I say I like Doi more because I just like Doi's designs in general. I don't think he's the best, just the one I like the most. Every artist in the company, in my honest opinion, has something to offer in terms of overall design and style.

I will after AWA. Hopefully there can be a patch to get English text in. Like, that shit is just a bad job in terms of Q&A.

My Amazon order is coming on Saturday, I'm pretty hyped for it. It's been doing really well with critics.

I'm about 7 hours in.

Smirk's so much more tolerable now.

I've got about 40 hours in (thanks local game store!) and honestly this might be one of my favorite games in the franchise, which says a lot considering I heavily disliked IV, but this is a major improvement in pretty much every department.

No, I mean the main crew the main character is with in the beginning of the game. Not some rando NPC. The beginning of DDS lets you talk with those same people that are featured in the opening.

And on the other side of the spectrum, if you were to take away Raidou's sideburns, and the green lines on Demi-Fiend's face, They're the same. Like, my experience with Kaneko's art is mostly the PS2/PS1 era, so things like strange journey where Kaneko had a lot of time to improve isn't really what I'm referring to.

And this thread will probably do the same song and dance about artists for another 10 times after this, so I just want to make a preface. I don't think ANY of the Atlus artists are bad. Period. They all have their strength and weaknesses. From same face to boob shelfs. I know I say I like Doi more because I just like Doi's designs in general. I don't think he's the best, just the one I like the most. Every artist in the company, in my honest opinion, has something to offer in terms of overall design and style.
Kaneko's style is meant to make humans look "plain". It gives them a bigger contrast to its demons. Compare the expression of a Nocturne human to takemikazuchi (an humanoid demon), for example. Yet, they gain more and more distinguishing features the more they cast away their humanity. Not only on their faces, but the "standard expression" and body language (poses and animations) also grow. Nocturne has perfect examples of this, but if you see how the Russian girl standard expression changes in Strange Journey on her big plot moment.

Also, the "porcelain doll" finish applied to his art is pretty charming

I get that's what Kaneko's style is meant to be, but the same-face is still there. I'm not saying he's a bad artist, just not perfect.

like, one reason I love Doi is because he's a perfect middle with his character designs. you can see similarities to Soejima and Kaneko in his art (ie, Soejima-like color scheme and some Kaneko-isms)

again, I feel all of the artists of Atlus RPGs have something to offer. Even Yasuda. say what you will about his anatomy, we've gone over it before on this thread, EXTENSIVELY, but in terms of character design, I'd say he's the best. just look at Yuzu. you could easily put her design in any of the games with any of the other artist's styles and she'd fit perfectly.

all the artists have their strengths and weaknesses.