• As part of the relaunch of Skullheart, ALL previous threads have been archived. You can find them at the bottom of the forum in the Archives (2021) section. The archives are locked, so please use the new forum sections to create new discussion threads.

Shin Megami Tensei and Persona

I kinda like Zen's story. he's gonna be so moe.

There's a game called Persona Q with a character named Zen with dark skin, a black cape, and a crossbow?
Wow it sure is nice of Atlus to put me in a video game.

I'm considering buying a PSVITA so I can play P3P and P4G, among other games. I think that would be a good Christmas gift for myself. Are Persona 1 & 2 even relevant or should I just ignore them?

Last edited:
Persona 1 you can pretty much skip. Persona 2 is good but the gameplay is dreadful.

Persona 1 you can pretty much skip. Persona 2 is good but the gameplay is dreadful.
dont let ddb and dukemagus know you said that or they'll cry.

because they don't wanna admit P3 and P4 are leaps and bounds better than the first 2.

pretty much no one wants to admit P3 and P4 are leaps and bounds better than the first 2.

Fixed by Old Man Daidara.

Really though, the least everyone can do is be aware of the first two. You don't see the Final Fantasy fanbase running around going "who's Firion?" while praising FF7 and 10 for their fantasticness.

Then again, the Theatrhythm and Dissidia lines of games included all the Final Fantasy characters and summaries about them so people COULD be aware but that's beside the point

Fixed by Old Man Daidara.

Really though, the least everyone can do is be aware of the first two. You don't see the Final Fantasy fanbase running around going "who's Firion?" while praising FF7 and 10 for their fantasticness.

Then again, the Theatrhythm and Dissidia lines of games included all the Final Fantasy characters and summaries about them so people COULD be aware but that's beside the point
I'll admit 3 and 4 are better than 2 and 1. at least in terms of gameplay. I prefer the more simple turn based mechanics over the weird positions and the ability to make personas no one in my part can use.

Even so, P3 is pretty good but the fact the AI are self aware makes for some needlessly difficult segments.
Which is why they added P4's mechanics onto P3P
yes. its also the main reason I prefer 4 over 3. that and I like how the story in P4 was more about growing up and less about death and the acceptance of it that 3 had.

Even so, P3 is pretty good but the fact the AI are self aware makes for some needlessly difficult segments.

I can't tell you how many times Junpei saved my ass with a random critical hit into an All Out Attack.

Nor can I tell you how many times Yukari screwed my ass over by not healing me (YOU KNOW THE GUY THAT IF HE DIES IT MEANS GAME OVER) and instead healing freaking Koro-chan.

*woof*

God I hate when people are like "just skip 1 and 2".

Nope, fuck you.

2 has the best story of the four by far, and 1 is STILL the only game in the series to be straight up 2 self contained stories in one game.

More plot info on Persona 4: Dancing All Night

Rise Kujikawa leaves Inaba and goes back to becoming an idol. However, a rumor spreads to the big city that if you open a site exactly at midnight a strange video will play. Whoever views this video goes into the "other side."

Someone from Rise’s idol group, Kanamin Kitchen, goes missing. Rise contacts Yu Narukami (the protagonist in Persona 4) and reaches out to the Investigation Team to help rescue the missing idols.

original.jpg

Release date is for Fall 2014 on Vita. Source at Siliconera.

Person 4 Golden for the PS Vita was revealed to ship over 700,000 units worldwide and won the Playstation User Choice award for the 2nd year in a row.

Also here is screenshot of the two mysterious new characters in the spin-off (non canon) title Persona Q: Shadow of the Labrynth for Nintendo DS.
8.jpg

Info and more screenshots here

Yeah what was up with that?
GUYS OUR LEADER IS DEAD!
Let's not use our revival items on him and accept defeat!

Sigh...hopefully Atlus takes a cue from FFXIII-2 and fixes that in P5. I doubt it though. Annnnnnnnnyway...

15:28

"Long Way" confirmed as a battle theme.

P2 had a wonderful story overall, but there's a reason the series didn't get mainstream popular until 3. 3 and 4 have cooler core team Persona designs and a wonderful social/battle system in comparison to 2. Even with a better translation, alot of the systems in P2 are very... quirky. Not in a good way, either.

That's not to say IS/EP aren't worth experiencing. Even if the fashion and Personae didn't age well, the characters/story certainly did. But P3/P4 are the exemplar for a reason.

If I have any complaint though, it's that I wish they'd bring back some older Persona users too. It feels like P3/P4 are too married to "only high schoolers can save the world". If they need to keep the school setting to make their Social Link/stat growth systems work (they don't, but if they feel they need to), it wouldn't be too hard to work in party member teachers or just slightly older playables. Not everyone has to be in your homeroom class.

If I have any complaint though, it's that I wish they'd bring back some older Persona users too. It feels like P3/P4 are too married to "only high schoolers can save the world". If they need to keep the school setting to make their Social Link/stat growth systems work (they don't, but if they feel they need to), it wouldn't be too hard to work in party member teachers or just slightly older playables. Not everyone has to be in your homeroom class.
They have brought some of the characters from 2 and 1 in terms of cameos. And I too agree that the mechanics in 1 and 2 did not age well. and I actually prefer the persona series to take place at that age of adolescence where you're deciding what to do with your future. Persona 4 helped put me on the right track to deciding I wanted to become a fantasy writer

God I hate when people are like "just skip 1 and 2".

Nope, fuck you.

2 has the best story of the four by far, and 1 is STILL the only game in the series to be straight up 2 self contained stories in one game.
I played 1 and hated it. If they want my recommendation I'll tell them to skip 1 cuz I didn't like it. you dont like me doing that? well, tough.

I adored both 1 and both 2s.

Some people don't like them because they're not different enough from SMT games.

I adored both 1 and both 2s.

Some people don't like them because they're not different enough from SMT games.
yeah, but I have so many problems with the first one. I hate having that stupid placement system because sometimes theres enemies where no one can reach. I hate how you have to buy so many different accessories because you have a weapon, and a gun, and ammunition for your weapon. I hate how you can make personas that for some reason everybody isn't strong enough to use. and I hated the talking mechanic. I despised it.

Real talk, demon negotiation is the most annoying thing in the SMT franchise. And there are a LOT of contenders for that dubious honor.

It makes sense in the mainline SMT games but for Persona? Never want that again ever.
Pretty much this.
Social Links are Persona's claim to fame and pretty much one major reason why Persona's so awesome.
I love getting demons in Persona's way other than negotiating. I mean that should definitely stay in SMT, yeah, that's it's thing. But in Persona it feels weird.

Pretty much this.
Social Links are Persona's claim to fame and pretty much one major reason why Persona's so awesome.
I love getting demons in Persona's way other than negotiating. I mean that should definitely stay in SMT, yeah, that's it's thing. But in Persona it feels weird.
and even a lot of SMT games branch out how to get demons in other ways, some of them being really fun. like the demon auctions in devil survivor. I LOOOOOOOVE the auctions in devil survivor.

Reactions: Jutsei
I hate having that stupid placement system because sometimes theres enemies where no one can reach.

Magical_Starsign.jpg

uggh

Actually this game was pretty good

All in all, just be aware of where this Persona hootenanny all started, ladies and gentlemen. You don't have to like P1 and P2 but at least respect them for starting out this kickass spin-off (that now has other spin-offs).

I mean, damn Persona, you all like

Reactions: Jutsei
Nor can I tell you how many times Yukari screwed my ass over by not healing me (YOU KNOW THE GUY THAT IF HE DIES IT MEANS GAME OVER) and instead healing freaking Koro-chan.
The game's way of saying that as far as it's concerned, you are less than a dog. Literally.

"Long Way" confirmed as a battle theme.
Nice! Always liked that one...still, a remix wouldn't hurt.
Speaking of which, I take it the new characters have their own themes, right?

Reactions: Clawsome Bombs
oh I am not saying they arent the reason we have the great persona games today. but compared to the mechanics of the current ones they are completely mundane and trivial in gameplay alone. as good as the stories get, the mechanics they have make me not care, AND I LOVE STORIES OVER GAMEPLAY! this makes me not care about the things I like most in games! they break me! they break me at my core!

Yeah, Junpei, Yukari, and Sho all have their own themes. I assume PerSHOna has his own theme too.

It's totally this

or maybe this

If you have a decent array of weapons, no real enemy is out of reach.

People are okay with holding a thousand different personas and having the MC be a Swiss Army Knife and playing elemental roulette when meeting a new enemy but not having a different array of weapons and a balanced team placement?

People are okay with fusing like madmen and doing social links they may not like just to get the persona they want but having Mark Dance Funky to get a demon over to your side is too much?

Persona 2 still has the best characters.

Reactions: DDB
If you have a decent array of weapons, no real enemy is out of reach.

People are okay with holding a thousand different personas and having the MC be a Swiss Army Knife and playing elemental roulette when meeting a new enemy but not having a different array of weapons and a balanced team placement?

People are okay with fusing like madmen and doing social links they may not like just to get the persona they want but having Mark Dance Funky to get a demon over to your side is too much?

persona_4_umad__by_mastakonz-d4dbp6s.jpg

well then

h254BF212.jpg

We all like Persona here, don't we? That's at least one thing we agree on.

Damn you fusing like a madman is awesome and having my Sunday talks with an old lady was totally important to me

It's all a matter of personal preferences. First Persona game gave me a terrible gaming experience and Persona 2 was a better experience (dat Hitler lol), but not at the heights of P3/P4.

Nah fuck that.

Niggas don't know about Ginko DA GAWD just because she's not in 3 or 4.

Homies aren't ready for Maya whooping demon's asses just because there's no anime of it?

You want your female protag, you already had one, and she was amazing.

Nanjo being boss tier and Eichiki doing his damnest to be sharp.

It's a quieter story than the others and at the same time louder, 3 and 4 are warping reality but 2 crosses dimensions.

1 still allows me to follow 2 distinctively different stories, it has the highest replay value.

Reactions: DDB
yes. I think it is too much. its mundane, and it really gets in the way of the mechanics it leads to. at least with the roulette its a fun little mini-game to get something cool or to get some bonuses for your battle. it works in strange journey because you're building a team AND getting ingredients. in persona 1 its a way to get ingredients that you cant use in battle because of a different species rule of demons cant fight as personas, or because the game has no idea what a level cap warning/limiter is.

and placing my characters on a grid just so I can hit a specific enemy that's weak to a spell only one character has is too much of a chore to make it worth it. I should attack my enemy because I can, not because I am in a specific spot!

I'm not saying p3 and p4 dont owe their existence to the first. but I am sure glad they abandonned the mechanics from the first one.

edit: just so everyone knows, I am only talking about my persona 1 experience. I recently got p2 and am going through it at a snail's pace though.

Niggas don't know about Ginko DA GAWD just because she's not in 3 or 4.

Who?

Homies aren't ready for Maya whooping demon's asses just because there's no anime of it?

Pretty much.

You want your female protag, you already had one, and she was amazing.

Okay yeah but could she Burn Her Dread then take the ashes and Wipe them All Out?

I'm not saying p3 and p4 don't owe their existence to the first. but I am sure glad they abandoned the mechanics from the first one.

[/end of disscussion now can we get back to this]

20132611084013.jpg

I still hope this game will also take place in a high school and the theme is freedom vs responsibility.

But you're totally okay with your whole team dying because you don't have that one elemental spell?
Grid placement is uncool even though you can have 3 different personas and have actual control over how those characters grow unlike 3 and 4?

"You can't use in battle"? How do you think you get your persona spell fusion cards, it's JUST AS MANDATORY as Shuffle time, Shufle isn't a fun little mini game, it's how you get your persona in 3/4.

I find getting the right character and approaching every persona a different way more rewarding than watching the game equivalent of a hustle game you saw near the side alley of CTF.

I still hope this game will also take place in a high school and the theme is freedom vs responsibility.

Although the tone will be more serious this time around. Which I think would be a nice change of pace from P4 (lol, they went to the beach and went sledding and shit while the world was in danger) just like the positive tone was a nice change from P3 to P4.

But you're totally okay with your whole team dying because you don't have that one elemental spell?
Grid placement is uncool even though you can have 3 different personas and have actual control over how those characters grow unlike 3 and 4?

"You can't use in battle"? How do you think you get your persona spell fusion cards, it's JUST AS MANDATORY as Shuffle time, Shufle isn't a fun little mini game, it's how you get your persona in 3/4.

I find getting the right character and approaching every persona a different way more rewarding than watching the game equivalent of a hustle game you saw near the side alley of CTF.
dude, just stop.

Although the tone will be more serious this time around. Which I think would be a nice change of pace from P4 (lol, they went to the beach and went sledding and shit while the world was in danger) just like the positive tone was a nice change from P3 to P4.

Oh, I'm not saying it cant have a serious tone, I just hope it still can have a focus on things teens growing into adults can relate to.

Shuffle Time was also sorta skill based instead of demon negotiation where you had to hope the random number god was on your side.

Not saying Shuffle Time isn't entirely luck-based (hi there double or nothing) but it's a lot less stressful.

Oh, I'm not saying it cant have a serious tone, I just hope it still can have a focus on things teens growing into adults can relate to.

I'm looking forward the always drunk party member and the one who's afraid to marry their girlfriend.

Teenage Vincent Brooks confirmed

Shuffle Time was also sorta skill based instead of demon negotiation where you had to hope the random number god was on your side.

Not saying Shuffle Time isn't entirely luck-based (hi there double or nothing) but it's a lot less stressful.
yeah. and I found it more fun than the trial and error mechanics of the negotiations.
with. every. character.