• As part of the relaunch of Skullheart, ALL previous threads have been archived. You can find them at the bottom of the forum in the Archives (2021) section. The archives are locked, so please use the new forum sections to create new discussion threads.

Skullgirls Beta Aug 5th Patch Discussion

On the subject of M egret i think at least letting it stop full screen ground scalpels would be good (as much as I enjoy it when they M egret on reaction and still get hit)

As soon as I input tag IPS goes to 5, but then the zoom hit also counts as part of the level 5 chain and adds 30 undizzy
Tag always sets the Combo Stage to 5, because tag combos were really, really stupid.
Even if it didn't, I'm pretty sure [Zoom > Painwheel Tag > Ground Chain] would make the combo stage travel through stage 3 and directly into 5 anyway.
Also.. how do people feel about Sing assist these days?
Don't tempt me to run my MDE team again

I don't see why corner carry into a double snap is a concern.
It's less that than the IPS-triggered snap. I think I'll just try making that burstable.

his only argument is "There's no reason for it to not fire when the timer runs out. It's extremely stupid that it doesn't, and must be fixed immediately".
I mean, that's a decent argument in this case. Sure, I'm fine changing that.

Can someone tell me how busted Double getting Val sHP (or any other move that would allow for backwards kara) and Fugazi on 6HP would be?
Doesn't matter, not happening. :^P

Basically what I'm trying in the potato vid is zoom to PW tag so headless to PW bonkers damage happens. As soon as I input tag IPS goes to 5, but then the zoom hit also counts as part of the level 5 chain and adds 30 undizzy, and the tag adds 20, so I end up starting that combo with 50 undizzy already spent instead of 20 as a standard level 2 starter to tag combo would.
This isn't easily fixable, because tags HAVE to set it to Stage 5 for a variety of reasons, and it can't be just "set it on hit" because there are tag-whiff combos. Sorry.

Is this ok? I don't understand the context for what makes a midscreen snap ok, if ever, aside from Squigly can do it with sing so that is intentional and okay, but this is just free it seems.
I'm...not actually sure why that happens. Wanna give me a replay file of it happening?
Did you ever see this or fix it? (2015)
Known you can do that since before the game came out, don't care, it's minus on block.

napalm bug
Yeah, I know.

I'm...not actually sure why that happens. Wanna give me a replay file of it happening?
Can you get a replay of a training mode situation? I guess I can try to have someone help me recreate it online if that can do it. (This is in reference to the Squig/Beat Extend issue.)

Known you can do that since before the game came out, don't care, it's minus on block.
If you mean DoA crossup, training mode says its +7 on stand block. Is it free to chicken block or am I misunderstanding the situation?

Yeah, I know.
Cool. Just checking. I dunno what people show you sometimes. I just see things.

If you mean DoA crossup, training mode says its +7 on stand block. Is it free to chicken block or am I misunderstanding the situation?

I mean, you have to use level 3 to do it and you have to get the level 3 to hit first with a specific setup. You are giving up guaranteed damage for a gimmick reset that will just reset the scaling if it hits.

I mean, you have to use level 3 to do it and you have to get the level 3 to hit first with a specific setup. You are giving up guaranteed damage for a gimmick reset that will just reset the scaling if it hits.

That is +7 on block and deals a whopper of damage on hit, especially with elevated levels of poison, which I have Excella for.
I hit people with this all the time and when I don't hit someone with it, I get away for free.
It also beats an extensive list of things you can mash (but not everything. Fortune headroll even escapes.)

IDK I'm just mostly worried about it being plus on block (as I perceived it) I could care less about anything else.
Mike says its negative. Just want it double checked you know?

That's all.

Isn't valentine's lvl1 green vial supposed to subtract 50 undizzy? its not doing it at all. lvl 2 and lvl 3 are subtracting normally.

Isn't valentine's lvl1 green vial supposed to subtract 50 undizzy? its not doing it at all. lvl 2 and lvl 3 are subtracting normally.
Level 1 is 25 is it not?

Reactions: Receita Federal
Cool beans! Thanks. I feel better about it being negative all things considered.

@Mike_Z

I think I discovered a bug with Beowulf's Level 3 Command Grab, Wulfamania, when you have any amount of hype. Sometimes, if the opponent can be killed by any single throw in it, if you don't press anything and let Beowulf do Press Slam automatically in the end, it will not kill. It has happened in both the Beta and Retail versions. Thank you.

Last edited:
^ adding onto this (I didn't know about this bug or anything before rabble posted I was just testing because i was curious), from my tests its pretty reliably: if you do level 3 command throw and the opponent will die from any throw, if you have any levels of hype and you do not use all your throw actions the "default" ending throw will not kill. Tested in local vs too, its not a training mode bug.

Last edited:
@Mike_Z im not sure if this is intentional or what, but on live and beta Eliza's IAD j.LK doesn't hit a Ms. Fortune, Filia, Fukua, or Squigly crouching in the corner just completely whiffs and goes over the back of their head leaving Eliza wide open looking like a fool. Please fix it if it's a bug. Been like this forever but I figured since we're updating might as well fix it now?

@Mike_Z im not sure if this is intentional or what, but on live and beta Eliza's IAD j.LK doesn't hit a Ms. Fortune, Filia, Fukua, or Squigly crouching in the corner just completely whiffs and goes over the back of their head leaving Eliza wide open looking like a fool. Please fix it if it's a bug. Been like this forever but I figured since we're updating might as well fix it now?
As noted, instant airdash backward j.LK->j.HP (land, c.MK etc) works on everyone in the corner, as does jump back LK airdash LK->HP, although in that case it's not an overhead. Cerebella has to jump backward to hit some people with j.HP, etc. It was more of an issue because several characters didn't have ANY option that worked, whereas Eliza does. I don't want to mess with crouching height any more than I have to.

Well, found a new issue, though at least it's not a fatal crash this time. Every lobby I see is titled "Casual Matches - Beginner",
it have already fixed?

@Mike_Z Regarding Painwheel's air M buer change, it still occasionally whiffs on Squigly when I do the following -> shp ground l buer, fc xx jlk call assist (in this instance m bomber) air m buer.
Is this a problem with Squigly's hurtboxes as a whole?
It happens occasionally on most assists that PW uses for this specific corner combo (copter, spiral) so I don't think it's on Painwheel's side of error.
Also thank you for the m buer death crawl change on double, now my patented combo won't drop on her :^)

There wasn't one, I fixed the ground one.
I GUESS I can do the same for the air M and H...
Oh I just re-read the patch and it says you fixed the air m buer reaper to "fix a rare drop on Squigly"; I must have misread things.
If you can fix this though that'd be great!

Last edited:
@Mike_Z before i try asking for something that might never ever happened i need you to tell me.

When is the best time to use lk teleport. I mean jumping is better against projectiles isnt it?

Mike and everyone else at l0, thank you so much for your dedication to SG.

Loving the airthrow change for Val. Gives me a meterless conversion off airthrow in the corner on the entire cast and makes high airthrow resets midscreen a lot more threatening. And the more I'm using it, the more I'm digging the ground backdash->forward dash change. Thinking about trying to use it on approach to get over lows and using some low to the ground air buttons to get in.

And oh man, the offscreen player indicators! So cool that's finally fixed.

I have a couple of ideas for Val that I've been wanting to put out there, and it seems like this might be the place to do it:

Quality of life change - adding a buffer after hit air bypass for jump (possibly after vial toss, too) to make Val's hardest corner combos a bit easier

Buff to Counter - extending the frames counter is active. Not sure the exact number, but it feels like it's just a bit too short right now. What would be really neat is if you could control the length it's active by holding in the K+K

Again, thanks for all the hard work!

Edit: typo, phrasing

Last edited:
@Mike_Z before i try asking for something that might never ever happened i need you to tell me.
When is the best time to use lk teleport. I mean jumping is better against projectiles isnt it?
You need me to tell you how to play the game before you make a suggestion? Why would you think I know what you're looking for? Just suggest whatever it is.

Quality of life change - adding a buffer after hit air bypass for jump (possibly after vial toss, too) to make Val's hardest corner combos a bit easier
I don't mind this.

Buff to Counter - extending the frames counter is active. Not sure the exact number, but it feels like it's just a bit too short right now.
I'd consider like 3-5f, but that's it.

What would be really neat is if you could control the length it's active by holding in the K+K
Nope, that makes non-throw punishes kinda impossible.

Completely uneducated observation following my third day of learning Beowulf.

Something, something, L Chair Toss, dash J.MP works against everyone in the game EXCEPT Double. Can it also work on Double that would be sooooooo swell.

(Ifnotitsokaymyloveforyouwillneverchange)

Something, something, L Chair Toss, dash J.MP works against everyone in the game EXCEPT Double. Can it also work on Double that would be sooooooo swell.
What the hell, that's supposed to be universal. Wow...it really doesn't work. HOW?!
Yeah, I'll fix that.

he is a wonderful human being
SO MUCH THAT I'\
1464996341.sonicfox5000_bestfriends.jpg

Are happy birthday combos supposed to double pushback on attacks?

It was usually negligible because most moves don't really cause much pushback but with robo's 5HP she gets sent back pretty far after 5HP in a happy birthday combo.
If I were to snap it'd be okay her snap is gigantic but if I were to go for a full combo to just kill both characters because I have the meter H danger can miss after a full 5HP (and then robo gets HCH and I cry).

And I know I can end 5HP early so that H danger works or just beam super after 5HP so if it's intended to do that then I'll just make sure to do those.

This is probably a really dumb and broken idea. But I was curious about how people would think about being able to choose a character twice to be able to get 2 assist options but you play as a Dou with Trio Health and Damage output. Now Im really curious as to the broken possibilities with this. Also to clarify there is only One Big Band not two on the team. This would be interesting as well as say you see this and think "Time to snap that bugger in and kill his assist options."

For example:

Squig - C.HP Cremation
Big Band x2 - H Brass and Beat Extend

Team would have trio hp and damage output and the assist data would be the same except you just get 2 assist options out of 1 character instead of one. And in case it isn't the case with assists already but only one assist is allowed to be active on screen obviously.

Last edited:
To elaborate on the Beowulf universal combo:
I also can't make that combo on Big Band in the corner; mid-screen is fine, but can't do it in corner
(A side note:
That link works on Double now, but only at a very specific distance so that the chair combos but also hit late enough
If you do OTG with cLK --> cMP --> L.Chair --> instant dash MP, that work on Double as well as Big Band pretty consistently)

Suggestion: Now that Big Band's H Giant Step has armor, is it possible to add some visuals to differ from L and M Step?
it's really going to help if I can tell if I'm going to hit Big Band or hit his armor.

Question: A lot of time when Val does her air scalpel, I get grabbed right between super flash and scalpel hits.
The scalpel still comes out but will just whiff since I'm getting grabbed.
Is that supposed to happen? It gets me extra salty to see scalpel come out and just go right through
Edit: To answer my own question, unlike ground scalpel where invul frame ends at the 1st active frame, air scalpel's invul frame ends 1 frame earlier...sad

Last edited:
Yea, doing the L Chair > Dash j.MP > s.HK on Double will only work at a specific distance, and obviously never in the corner. It WILL work on Big Band midscreen, but like Double, never in the corner.

It feels way harder to beat Big Band as Peacock now that H Giant Step has one hit of armor. But I guess that was the idea.

@Mike_Z Can we please get a change to some of Val's supers? Her Acquistive Prescription is a lost cause, but there is hope for her Forbidden Procedure: Rebirth Ex Machina. If she could fully revive a teammate that would fix it, but that would be overpowered of course so as a penalty the revived teammate would get a flat damage decrease or the super meter would regen half as fast for the rest of the game or even no meter until the game is over. This would create a lot of Val anchors, but I think it would be awesome considering that she only has two viable blockbusters (Dead on Arrival isn't that bad, but it has very limited usage). If Parasoul could get a extra frame or two of hitstun on most of her attacks that would be great or maybe I'm just bad with her xD I dunno, but I drop A LOT of her combos.

@Mike_Z Can we please get a change to some of Val's supers? Her Acquistive Prescription is a lost cause, but there is hope for her Forbidden Procedure: Rebirth Ex Machina. If she could fully revive a teammate that would fix it
Reflex reaction was to stop reading here. Just because you're not good at using something doesn't mean it's a lost cause? And just because you don't realize how amazingly good another chance to use assists and heal red life is good doesn't mean it needs buffs?

Okay, continuing...

If Parasoul could get a extra frame or two of hitstun on most of her attacks that would be great
Right, so. There are so many assumptions in that post about the fact that your playstyle and skill level is the only possible one that I'm not even sure where to begin.
Instead, I'm gonna move on. :^P If someone else wants to explain, feel free.

Are happy birthday combos supposed to double pushback on attacks?
"Supposed to" is a strong sentiment, but it is the 'correct' behavior yes in that it is how it already works. :^P

Question: A lot of time when Val does her air scalpel, I get grabbed right between super flash and scalpel hits.
The scalpel still comes out but will just whiff since I'm getting grabbed.
Is that supposed to happen? It gets me extra salty to see scalpel come out and just go right through
Edit: To answer my own question, unlike ground scalpel where invul frame ends at the 1st active frame, air scalpel's invul frame ends 1 frame earlier...sad
Ground scalpels up close is -31. Air scalpels up close can be as little as -6. I hope that answers your question as to why air scalpels aren't also fully invincible though startup. :^P

@Mike_Z If Parasoul could get a extra frame or two of hitstun on most of her attacks that would be great or maybe I'm just bad with her xD I dunno, but I drop A LOT of her combos.

You're going to have to work on your stuff simply put. :)

if this happens to be buffered, it would be cool that the buffer extends to airdashes too, because there are a lot of times i do the bypass in the corner, adc jmp after, and it happens to totally whiff and put me in the corner. it would be really neat having bypass - adc/jump combos more consistent on corner because those are val's most damaging options there

Last edited:
Reactions: Lex