• As part of the relaunch of Skullheart, ALL previous threads have been archived. You can find them at the bottom of the forum in the Archives (2021) section. The archives are locked, so please use the new forum sections to create new discussion threads.

Skullgirls Beta Aug 5th Patch Discussion

Less damage on burstable hits. I have less reason to get burst baited yay. Better off just taking the hit.

The opponent can react to it. The napalm pillar in this video was input after the superflash ended, but I closed the game after recording it and there's no way I'm going to do another 100 level 3 item drops just to get another steamroller so I can turn on player 2 input display:

What I tried with the setup I had was squigly daisy pusher where she was doing the super correctly on normal level 3 item, but on Road Roller she wasn't doing the super and was caught in some standing frames. I guess the flash will mess with input timings you did before/during, but you can still react after I guess?

It's a tradeoff for sure, but I feel like I'm okay with it if this is the only way we're going to get a meterless non-preemptive conversion off Road Roller, which was just annoying before.

What sucks is that its Road Roller, so it's gonna be hard to give really good feedback on neutral/mixups for it since it's not gonna be super repeatable in matches :/

Yeah, you have to enter your inputs at the end of the flash, not the start. Same as reacting to any other super (e.g. 360ing Peacock after the superflash if she goes for point-blank argus).

IMO it just feels kind of awkward to have one super freeze, a very very brief unfreeze, and then a second pause right before Avery starts his thing. I guess you could take away the pause before Avery's animation, but it'd still be freeze-unfreeze-freeze.

I'm not sure if this is the right place to share my thoughts but ihave something to suggest that's not directly gameplay related... Is it possible to have the "cleaned up frames" in black and white( i know i might said something incorrect) as a palette? The nostalgia of seeing the some in-progress animations awakened a lot of memories i wish everyone can see and feel. So yeah. That's what i have to say about this last update.
Tbh i think Squigly's c.lp needs a taller hitbox to better stop crouching normals and things like Lblitzer cuz i mean it's kinda sad that it feels a very weak button to prevent or counter stuff and it's a 10f light but hey i'm happy with it anyways ao yeah i can keep this for myself.

uh oh @Mike_Z

just ran across this but if you have both players selecting for Cerebella's normal intro they will play at the same time and not out of sync like they are supposed to.

[correction: oh geeze they swap between being in sync and being out of sync. p1 is out of sync for a couple frames and then p2 catches up then p2 is out of sync for a couple frames and oh man. the difference of being in and out of sync is like 1-3 frames.]

Last edited:
I'm surprised I didn't remember to ask for this sooner; here goes:

Is there any way you could add an option on consoles to set up button binds for L3/R3/the right analog stick? I ask this because the main pad I use for FG's is a Fighting Commander 4, which I have set up as follows on PC (keeping in mind it has a switch that places L3 and R3 on the R1/R2 triggers, respectively):

L1: Pushblock Macro L3: Macro #2 (usually an extra assist button)
L2: Right Stick Up (Assist #1) R3: Right Stick Down (Assist #2)

Right now when switching over to PS4 for offline play, I have to usually go duo since I don't have room for both assist macros, and can't do piano inputs for the other assist well enough to make up for the missing assist button.

@Mike_Z
Would it be possible to add the option to have training mode block type “random” choose per hit like before? The old behavior allowed you to practice hit confirming set ups that require the opponent to switch their guard in order to block correctly.

I'm surprised I didn't remember to ask for this sooner; here goes:

Is there any way you could add an option on consoles to set up button binds for L3/R3/the right analog stick? I ask this because the main pad I use for FG's is a Fighting Commander 4, which I have set up as follows on PC (keeping in mind it has a switch that places L3 and R3 on the R1/R2 triggers, respectively):

L1: Pushblock Macro L3: Macro #2 (usually an extra assist button)
L2: Right Stick Up (Assist #1) R3: Right Stick Down (Assist #2)

Right now when switching over to PS4 for offline play, I have to usually go duo since I don't have room for both assist macros, and can't do piano inputs for the other assist well enough to make up for the missing assist button.

quoting mike's reply to when i asked this a few months ago

The issue is not hardware, the issue is button config.
Button config was written by someone who hasn't worked on the game in years, and it is a moderate-to-giant mess of code.

On PC, the button config is entirely different code, and it can accept "button #7" as whatever you want. Nothing knows what button is L3 or R3 or how many buttons exist on your input device.

On console, the button config automatically assigns Macro 1 and Macro 2 as whatever buttons are left over from the 8 possible choices, 4 face buttons + 4 shoulder buttons, because it can know exactly which buttons exist and all of them MUST be mapped at all times.
In order to add L3 and R3 as choices, the entire button config would have to be rewritten in code (and redesigned as a UI screen) in order to allow players to set macros by pressing unassigned buttons on the macro line.
Additionally, we don't have L3 and R3 in the font, which would mean redoing the font in a bunch of screens which is a giant PITA because Otter is a giant PITA.

We cannot bring the PC button config to console because the PC button config doesn't know anything about console buttons.

The amount of effort required to fix even just the console screen to add L3/R3 is larger than the effort required to add lobbies to a single console. It probably isn't happening, as a result.

tl;dr
No, because it's a prohibitive amount of work. Not for any technical reason, unfortunately.

@Mike_Z the decreased recovery on Robo's ground beams means that fullscreen as Cerebella I can't deflect her l beam without her being able to block. I can deflect m beam, but only if I do deflect early enough. If I do it too late she can block. I don't feel like this is intended?

Also, just noticed cause of that testing, but Bella's idle will occasionally completely avoid m beam. That probably shouldn't happen. Though idk how hard those are to fix? Peacock still will randomly avoid deflect during like item drop and Argus, so idk if these things are just being left alone.

Last edited:
@Mike_Z the decreased recovery on Robo's ground beams means that fullscreen as Cerebella I can't deflect her l beam without her being able to block. I can deflect m beam, but only if I do deflect early enough. If I do it too late she can block. I don't feel like this is intended?
Robo-Fortune has to use L beam to prevent herself from getting combo'd from fullscreen after getting hit by reflect.
If she does M or H and gets hit then you get a full screen confirm.

So if this change happens:

- If Robo does any laser and it's reflected, she gets hit from fullscreen.
- If Robo does any laser and you miss your timing and get counter-hit, you take a small amount of damage and nothing happens.
- If Robo does any laser and you block it, you take 350 chip and nothing happens.

Also the fullscreen distance you cover after reflect in addition to the corner carry from the full combo (which is only scaled to ~85% or something from reflect) is going to put her in the corner, and you can choose to not spend OTG for a hard knockdown..

I don't know if Bella needs this?
I think it's more stupid that reflecting M is so punishing than L being not punishing enough.
She's the slow powerful grappler so I don't know if she needs to be able to just guess on reflects from fullscreen until she gets a confirm.

So if this change happens:
I wasn't asking for a change. I pointed out a thing that doesn't seem like anyone would have obviously noticed, in case it wasn't intended.

To clarify, however: from absolute max screen it won't hit Robo. If I move forward slightly, it will. If I stand fullscreen and kara with s.hk, deflecting l beam will hit Robo.

- If Robo does any laser and it's reflected, she gets hit from fullscreen.
- If Robo does any laser and you miss your timing and get counter-hit, you take a small amount of damage and nothing happens.
- If Robo does any laser and you block it, you take 350 chip and nothing happens.
By "nothing happens", you mean Robo slowly gains an advantage/more of an advantage? It's not like they can stay like that forever. If Cerebella doesn't deflect, she's going to lose. Deflect can be punished by Robo with l beam on reaction, so guess deflecting is dangerous. If Robo sits a bit closer, she can punish a whiffed deflect with run up c.lk or whatever. It's by no means a tool to freely get out of Robo's intense projectile pressure.

Also the fullscreen distance you cover after reflect in addition to the corner carry from the full combo
In the situation I'm talking about, it's actually pretty hard to confirm. Bella by herself needs to do a tightly timed dash jump, glide clap to combo (she can barely reach with c.lk after clap). Not accounting for any assists that might make this easier, I'm not sure how many there are (bypass? Bomber? pinion dash? Uhhh?).

I don't know if Bella needs this?
I think it's more stupid that reflecting M is so punishing than L being not punishing enough.
She's the slow powerful grappler so I don't know if she needs to be able to just guess on reflects from fullscreen until she gets a confirm.
She has a deflector. It's only job is to punish predictable projectiles. It even completely lost its ability to physically hit people because its only job is to punish predictable projectiles. It got projectile invulnerable startup because she should be allowed to PBGC punish predictable projectiles (like mashed catheads on block). The range at which she currently cannot do this, in one matchup with one move, is off by the kara range of one s.hk, and a frame or two on another move, and I think maybe I should bring this up before the final patch is all settled.

I shouldn't have to defend myself here. I really, really shouldn't. The move that beats projectiles should beat projectiles, why do I have to defend this? At this point it almost sounds like you're arguing against her having deflector in the first place.

Reactions: softie
I'm saying she doesn't need fullscreen confirms against L Beam.

You say she can't confirm, but you can confirm fullscreen from reflector with Reflect > H Run and still have enough time that you can go straight into cHP. (This is at absolute max distance, it's easy, dont need glides or claps or whatever you were talking about.)

YOU said that she can do that against M Beam because you get the CH stagger.

And yes, by "nothing happens" I'm comparing it against the reward that Robo gets.
If Bella has to eat 5 beams before she gets a reflector and a full combo that's pretty lopsided?

You don't have to explain deflector, I know what it does.
I'm saying that it's completely fine it doesn't hit Robo before she can block from L.
Just because Bella doesn't get a combo off L doesn't mean that it doesn't "Beat the projectiles" which you say I'm questioning.
Forcing Robo to block is a good reward, that lets you approach.

I shouldn't have to defend myself here. I really, really shouldn't. The move that beats projectiles should beat projectiles, why do I have to defend this? At this point it almost sounds like you're arguing against her having deflector in the first place.

Like what the hell, when did I say reflector shouldn't reflect, why do you need to bring up it's invulnerable periods and its hitbox..?

By "nothing happens", you mean Robo slowly gains an advantage/more of an advantage? It's not like they can stay like that forever. If Cerebella doesn't deflect, she's going to lose. Deflect can be punished by Robo with l beam on reaction, so guess deflecting is dangerous. If Robo sits a bit closer, she can punish a whiffed deflect with run up c.lk or whatever. It's by no means a tool to freely get out of Robo's intense projectile pressure.
Dawg beams are -ve on hit lol.

You can
jump block them too.

After L/M Beam on hit you can super jump and avoid all ground beams.

Also from my 5 minutes of testing you CAN react reflector against beams so it's not about guessing. This is coming from a guy who has terrible reaction times, so if you're good you can do it.

Calling beam pressure "intense" is pretty hilarious.

Also as you noted it doesn't work literally when you're absolutely full screen.

As a side note, I think Bella vs Robo is tough for Bella but this is completely not the reason why.

As a side note, I think Bella vs Robo is tough for Bella but this is completely not the reason why.
I thought so too but after playing Mike so much I think she has more than enough tools to deal with Robo's zoning.
Up close I'm unfamiliar.

Everyone I played after the patch has 1 red bar as their connection even though there ping is low (under 60) and pre-patch was always green. Not sure if caused by beta change or if I should post in other thread

I thought so too but after playing Mike so much I think she has more than enough tools to deal with Robo's zoning.
Up close I'm unfamiliar.
I don't think she struggles with the zoning so much as she suffers from Robo's runaway. It's really really tough for Bella to catch a sj.HK other than trying to read jump startup and Excella'ing you out of it, and not even Beat Extend reaches that height so you're fairly safe against most assists Bella mains will pick (unless the Bella picks Horus assist or something similar). Stuff like mine, RAM, missiles is probably fairly manageable (I don't have much beta Robo vs Bella exp), or as manageable for Bella as it is for other characters, but purely movement wise I feel like Bella struggles to catch Robo. Robo also has different ways to vary her landing that are difficult for Bella to manage.

Bella's relatively short jump arc and slow dash give more credence to a more runaway and movement based zoning gameplan compared to just trying to put stuff on screen.

I mean I don't think this matchup is anywhere near as bad as retail Robo vs BB for example, but it's not particularly pleasant.

Reactions: ShakyFingers
Can this also happen?

painwheelsnapbackexceptgood.png

I just really can't see why this change can't or shouldn't happen because it's infuriating to know you have to snap early to minimize meter gain but your snap is so small you have to ensure you have both characters near the ground and for some reason her snap also thins out and I don't think it should.

I dunno if it doesn't change whatever but I have some serious gripes with only this character doing this. The hitbox doesn't have to be this big but could pw at the very least have the whole arm hitbox be even?

I'm saying she doesn't need fullscreen confirms against L Beam.
All I said that it didn't used to be the case and I want to bring it up, cause I didn't see any reasoning for the change improving Robo's ability to deal with deflctor.

You say she can't confirm, but you can confirm fullscreen from reflector with Reflect > H Run and still have enough time that you can go straight into cHP. (This is at absolute max distance, it's easy, dont need glides or claps or whatever you were talking about.)
I can't get this confirm. It's harder than the confirm I mentioned doing. If you charge too long, no combo. If you're too quick, you get s.hk. If you mistime runstop, you whiff or Robo recovers just in time to block. I actually can't manage to get it fast enough for anything other than c.lk to connect after runstop. It let's you in, but I don't see how this is easy.

As a Bella player, if I land fullscreen deflect, the next thing I go into is dash, dash Titan Knuckle. It's my best bet of hitting something before they recover.

If Bella has to eat 5 beams before she gets a reflector and a full combo that's pretty lopsided?
If Robo is doing the same beam pattern 5 times in a row, you don't think the character with the anti-projectile should punish her for it?

Forcing Robo to block is a good reward, that lets you approach.
Robo can pushblock to negate most of the forward momentum.

Like what the hell, when did I say reflector shouldn't reflect, why do you need to bring up it's invulnerable periods and its hitbox..?
You literally said "she's a grappler, she doesn't need fullscreen confirms", which is what Deflect gives her if she can land it against Robo. Sorry, it just sounds like you don't agree with Deflector working the way it's worked for years?

Actually, testing the game some more, deflector in beta can punish l beam fullscreen. There are just a couple frames that you can do it too early that'll make it not connect. The later you do deflector, the higher chance of hitting Robo. So, the opposite of how you need to deflect m beam, the later the better.

Reactions: softie and Ranger
I can't get this confirm. It's harder than the confirm I mentioned doing. If you charge too long, no combo. If you're too quick, you get s.hk. If you mistime runstop, you whiff or Robo recovers just in time to block. I actually can't manage to get it fast enough for anything other than c.lk to connect after runstop. It let's you in, but I don't see how this is easy.

As a Bella player, if I land fullscreen deflect, the next thing I go into is dash, dash Titan Knuckle. It's my best bet of hitting something before they recover.
Doesn't feel any harder than most of Parasoul's corner combo charge buffering stuff to me:

If you put a decent amount of time into trying to learn the c.HP version in that video and still can't do it, just stick with the c.LK one I guess? It's still going to do more damage than, say, 10 blocked beams, and sets you up for Cerebella resets against a character without great reversal options.

Last edited:
Reactions: Broken Loose
Doesn't feel any harder than most of Parasoul's corner combo charge buffering stuff to me:

If you put a decent amount of time into trying to learn the c.HP version in that video and still can't do it, just stick with the c.LK one I guess? It's still going to do more damage than, say, 10 blocked beams, and sets you up for Cerebella resets against a character without great reversal options.
I can try? It's hard for me to get that, even the c.lk confirm. Then again, I really don't like Parasoul cause of charge stuff. So idk. I'm fine just getting a chance to close the gap.

Again, though. I just wanted to point out something no one has mentioned. I don't know why we need to get into the matchup when I bring up a weird thing that doesn't seem intended. Unless we think bella should hit robot only by late deflecting L beam and early deflecting m beam?

I don't play Bella and I got it first try and got sHK a total of 1 / 20 something times.
Also difficulty is not something that should be factored for what a character is capable of, so just because you personally find it hard doesn't mean it's not something she can do.
I really do mean that in a sincere way, Cerebella is capable of confirming fullscreen from reflecting Robo's lasers.
Yeah I think you should practice it so you don't do this.

If Robo is doing the same beam pattern 5 times in a row, you don't think the character with the anti-projectile should punish her for it?
Not from fullscreen with minimal risk for messing up, for no resources.
In the beta Robo doesn't even get counter hit damage for baiting the reflector.
Actually, testing the game some more, deflector in beta can punish l beam fullscreen. There are just a couple frames that you can do it too early that'll make it not connect. The later you do deflector, the higher chance of hitting Robo. So, the opposite of how you need to deflect m beam, the later the better.
Oh, alright then.
None of this matters then if she can do it against every beam then since the only point of discussing it was for avoiding changes to L Beam.
Her recovery can't get any better on L Beam or M Beam without changing too much on other match ups.
Unless we think bella should hit robot only by late deflecting L beam and early deflecting m beam?
I think Bella should fight Robo by reflecting at a reasonable distance and punching Robo in the face :P

Last edited:
In addition to cancelling a bomb toss into another bomb toss, she can now cancel the first bomb toss into an L teleport only, by inputting D+K or QCB+K. M and H were extremely good for offense, but L is good for runaway which suits her just fine.

After playing around with this for a bit I can't say I'm a fan.

Speaking for myself, I would much rather get no teleport than be forced to do L teleport in these circumstances. If I wanted to do an L teleport, I'd explicitly do the motion for an L teleport. With the change as it is now, it's actually not possible to do a fake teleport here because it will automatically become L tele regardless of whether you have any P held or not. More pragmatically I could see non-L teleports being buffered for after the bomb toss ends, but as it is now it's disorienting to get approach-teleport inputs turned into runaway-teleport because my hand was too fast.

Can this also happen?

painwheelsnapbackexceptgood.png

I just really can't see why this change can't or shouldn't happen because it's infuriating to know you have to snap early to minimize meter gain but your snap is so small you have to ensure you have both characters near the ground and for some reason her snap also thins out and I don't think it should.

I dunno if it doesn't change whatever but I have some serious gripes with only this character doing this. The hitbox doesn't have to be this big but could pw at the very least have the whole arm hitbox be even?
Yes please, fix the hitbox for Painwheel. I've had the snap problem many times before and it's really annoying.
And while we're at it, can you look into Cerebella's snap hitbox too? I've missed many snaps against Big Band because the range seems too short on the front. Maybe it's just me, I'll try to screenshot or get a replay as soon as I get to home.

I can try? It's hard for me to get that, even the c.lk confirm. Then again, I really don't like Parasoul cause of charge stuff. So idk. I'm fine just getting a chance to close the gap.
The c.LK confirm gets easier if you do c.MP into kara H run, which gives you all the time in the world to charge back for the run and still lets you get close. Here's a video of Cerebella blocking 18 beams then doing the c.LK confirm and being ahead in health, if you need to see the timing:

None of this matters then if she can do it against every beam then since the only point of discussing it was for avoiding changes to L Beam.
Her recovery can't get any better on L Beam or M Beam without changing too much on other match ups.
I'm not asking for any nerfs to robo (or even buffs to bella), btw. I was just bringing a thing I noticed up, incase action by Mike was appropriate.

If a change happens, it could be like a hitstop change to deflector? I don't really know, but I don't think robo would need to be nerfed to make it consistent.

I think Bella should fight Cerebella by reflecting at a reasonable distance and punching Robo in the face :P
My favorite way to use bella to fight cerebella is running up and punching Robo [emoji14]

And while we're at it, can you look into Cerebella's snap hitbox too? I've missed many snaps against Big Band because the range seems too short on the front. Maybe it's just me, I'll try to screenshot or get a replay as soon as I get to home.
Try to snap after doing a c.mp. I've never had a problem snapping two characters like that.

Is the dummy set to shake out of stagger there?

Would it be dumb to think about asking for no chip deaths? Unless Capcom or Street Fighter copyrighted that mechanic or it would be too hard to program I think it would be a interesting feature to add in. The only thing I'd change from the no chip death on block from normals and specials I'd change is also making it apply to supers since meter gain in SG is pretty fast.

This would have situations like player1 and a good zoner doing his job doing great keep away and such then at 1Hp for defending player1 he wouldn't be able to die as long as he kept blocking correctly meaning the zoner would have to change up the zoning pattern to get a hit, keep zoning till a hit happens, or get in close for a mix up for a high,low, throw, left, right. Or they can simply wait out the clock happily.

though at this health thresh hold if the defending player had any red health while at 1hp and blocks it would chip the red health till the red health was gone. That way someone couldn't block and not die at 1hp and then tag out to regen it.

for teams this can mean having one or more if your lucky more attack assists until the assist with 1hp got hit with anything. Also it would be pretty exciting spectating wise like Big Band parries at low hp if someone is good at blocking.

I would like to ask that people please take their time before they post.

Things like "no chip deaths" is more or less changing the stance on the game that we've played for 2-3+ years. This is also the last patch(?).

On to more important matters, Intros.

Does anyone feel like a slight hiccup whenever you choose your intro online? like it kinda just spikes at the beginning but pans out later. Could be just me today.

Would it be dumb to think about asking for no chip deaths? Unless Capcom or Street Fighter copyrighted that mechanic or it would be too hard to program I think it would be a interesting feature to add in.
I heavily disagree!
Here is why, let me know what you think.

This would have situations like player1 and a good zoner doing his job doing great keep away and such
I'm with you so far, the keep away zoning character is performing their task of keep away and zoning and getting chip damage, forcing the opponent to react to their zoning and usually close in, sounds good.

the zoner would have to change up the zoning pattern to get a hit ... keep zoning till a hit happens
Changing pattern / zoning wont matter if the opponent just has to do nothing but block.

or get in close for a mix up for a high,low, throw, left, right. Or they can simply wait out the clock happily.
This is the issue.
The zoning character who has been running away and inflicting chip doing a fantastic job of playing to their strengths (it is harder to kill from pure chip than it is to touch someone and then reset them into death) and then all the sudden because the opponent is at 1HP there is no reason to zone or inflict chip.

The punishment of chip damage exists for the ENTIRE GAME BESIDES when the opponent is at one health.

Now the opponent has already lost all they can lose and is free to sit still and do nothing.
The zoning character has move from the position they were playing from (which was a good idea a few moments ago) and get in close to hit the opponent high low or throw.
????

Another issue is that you say the zoning character is free to run out the clock, but consider this.
You're playing against Double Peacock Big Band and the opponent has the intentions of getting a hit into Titan Knuckle > Raw Tag.
You kill Double before the player gets a chance to tag to Peacock and you are a trio also.
You injure Big Band assist when it was called a few times until Big Band has half HP (including red health).

Now you are free to sit at the opposite end of the screen as your point character and hold block and take all the chip you want.
Peacock CAN'T chip out your point, and you have a healthy second and third which is a higher health pool that the opponents Peacock + Big Band assist at half HP.
Now the Peacock can't play her game or else she will get timed out... she has to run in from fullscreen and do mix up.

Basically if someone is going to zone from fullscreen and try and get as much chip as you can, they shouldn't be forced to dash in after they have done max chip to land the finishing blow.
The threat of chip damage forced the opponent to approach during the neutral game, but then once they have no HP left it doesn't matter anymore and they can take their sweet time.

Also this game has had chip death since pre-alpha or something and it's kinda old now so that might make a lot of players upset if it was changed.

wrt no chip kills

UNIEL is cool and all but this is the dumbest thing I've seen from a non-Capcom game.

---------------------------------------------------

Would it be a lot to ask if Beo had recovery on his regular snap reduced? He's the only character who can't actually get a midscreen snap using Sing.

wrt no chip kills

UNIEL is cool and all but this is the dumbest thing I've seen from a non-Capcom game.
Yeah, perfect example.
SonicFox had 0 health and his best option was to keep zoning and get Orie to 0 health as well, but dashing in to land the final hit against a poking character with disjointed normals isn't a smart idea so it ends in a time out, lol.
The same thing would happen if Peacock was taken to 1HP from a poison vial (LVL3) and Val didnt want to approach.
(If Vial can take you to 1HP at lvl3)

Reactions: Receita Federal
One idea I've had, not really for SG but just a hypothetical if-I-made-a-fighting-game-someday, if would-be fatal chip damage just took off red life instead, and then once that's depleted any further chip will kill. So you don't have that situation where zoning no longer does anything at all, but hopefully people would complain less if killing that way takes more work.

Still though, that's a very drastic change to make to SG this late in its lifespan, and a big nerf to characters who have been balanced around the way chip currently works. Maybe something to try in SG2 or some other game, but I would not mess with long established SG mechanics like that.

Reactions: Armageddon11
Yeah, perfect example.
SonicFox had 0 health and his best option was to keep zoning and get Orie to 0 health as well, but dashing in to land the final hit against a poking character with disjointed normals isn't a smart idea so it ends in a time out, lol.
The same thing would happen if Peacock was taken to 1HP from a poison vial (LVL3) and Val didnt want to approach.
(If Vial can take you to 1HP at lvl3)

You're supposed to dash block in either scenario to get in before you get chipped down to that much health. If chip kills existed the same thing would happen because the opponent didn't know what to do except now they'd just eventually die.
Chip kills are cool.