• As part of the relaunch of Skullheart, ALL previous threads have been archived. You can find them at the bottom of the forum in the Archives (2021) section. The archives are locked, so please use the new forum sections to create new discussion threads.

Report Skullgirls Encore to receive Japanese arcade loctest from November 28-30!

Flotilla

Reaction score
Big Band Big Band Big Band
skullgirls_encore_banner.jpg

As reported last year, Skullgirls Encore will be releasing to Japanese arcades through NESiCAxLIVE, a networked system that allows games and updates to be downloaded to an arcade cabinet on-location. News on the arcade release has been quiet until today, when arcade publisher M2 announced plans for a Skullgirls Encore location test at two Japanese venues in the upcoming week.

M2 said:
It's official; loctests of "Skullgirls Encore" on NESiCAxLIVE are to be held from November 28 (Fri) to 30 (Sun)! The two stores chosen are Hey (Akihabara) and Taito Station (Osaka, Nipponbashi).

As listed above, the two arcades chosen for the location tests are Taito Station in Osaka (Nipponbashi district) and Hey Arcade in Tokyo (Akihabara district). Location tests will run from November 28 to November 30 through the weekend. If you live in Japan and want to show your support, now's your chance!

I think Mike said KI1 or 2 were the last US made fighters to get arcade releases in Japan.

Reactions: Apex
Can we expect amazing match footage?

I know arcade location tests sometimes have rules against that sort of thing, but I don't think SG would be under the same conditions as a game under pre-release testing.

Protein Folding on my computer? I don't get it. How do you stream protein folding? I don't get it. And where are these stream numbers?

Can we expect amazing match footage?

I know arcade location tests sometimes have rules against that sort of thing, but I don't think SG would be under the same conditions as a game under pre-release testing.
No,you can expect pretty good matches recorded on cellphones held upright by people with Parkinson's.

Reactions: Mailaka
Can someone enlighten me here? How are new patches and DLC characters going to work on arcade? Don't want the Japanese missing out on the Beowulf goodness
I was under the impression that the japan arcade release of SG wouldn't even be happening until all the IGG characters are completed.

Maybe this is a test run of how the game works with nesica and its infrastructure? doesn't that system use cards or something like that?

Last edited:
Can someone enlighten me here? How are new patches and DLC characters going to work on arcade? Don't want the Japanese missing out on the Beowulf goodness

Did you actually read the op? These cabinets will receive updates just like the normal retail version of the game, so the arcade machines will get character and balance updates just like the pc and console versions do.

Reactions: Wenzel and erkicman
I will find a way to import one and make it my own.

Did you actually read the op? These cabinets will receive updates just like the normal retail version of the game, so the arcade machines will get character and balance updates just like the pc and console versions do.

"a networked system that allows games and updates to be downloaded to an arcade cabinet on-location"

... how did I miss that? No, seriously, how the f*** did I miss that? how the f*** did I miss that? how the f*** did I miss that? how the f*** did I miss that?how the f*** did I miss that?how the f*** did I miss that?how the f*** did I miss that?how the f*** did I miss that?how the f*** did I miss that?how the f*** did I miss that?how the f*** did I miss that?how the f*** did I miss that?how the f*** did I miss that?how the f*** did I miss that?how the f*** did I miss that?how the f*** did I miss that?how the f*** did I miss that?how the f*** did I miss that?how the f*** did I miss that?how the f*** did I miss that?how f*** did I miss that? howf*** did I miss that?how f*** did I miss that?how f*** did I miss that?how f*** did I miss that?f*** miss that? f*** miss that?f*** miss that? f*** miss that? f*** miss that? f*** miss that?that?that?that?that?that?that?that?that?that?that?that?that???????????????????????

I'm done

I will find a way to import one and make it my own.
Good luck. If you manage to import a machine, all you need then is a Japanese proxy (which may not work anyway) and pay Nesica $500 a month.

Cool, so that's why I was never able to find any photos of the arcade version! Well, I hope it has a solid release!

I'm curious if they tweaked the UI for arcades, since currently a lot of the menus don't have selection timers and stuff. I also wonder if some modes will be locked. I imagine new players might be interested in Story Mode, or a quick Tutorial, but it might be too much trouble to get those to work in a crowded setting. It'd be pretty cool if they were able to play online from the cabinet, though.

Btw, if anyone is going to a location test, don't forget to bring the game a greeting card, or maybe some nice flowers. Apparently it's going to die soon, so you'll want to do your best to cheer it up.

Be sure to salute Marie. She's the Skull Girl after all, gotta show her respect. Let's hope that SG will stick around in Japan's Arcades, it a place where a lot of gamers come thru and if Marie can impress them then I'll be happy.

Reactions: Wenzel
Taito Station in Osaka and Hey Arcade are pretty well known arcades. Here's hoping a good number of Japanese players try it out.
Can´t wait to see JP tech in Arcades.
Here's hoping it isn't the same "try to rush down with everyone" that Japanese players on Steam do.

Ayye that banner is pretty fresh!

My plan to make a makeshift skullgirls arcade is to take a carboard box put my comptuer screen and fightstick in it, then I crudely write Skullgirlz on the side.

Reactions: Broseidon Rex
I have a thanksgivings dinner that weekend that's blowing a hole in how much I can go to this, but I'm definitely going to swing in for at least one of the days!

If possible, please give us your impression of whether the people there receive the arcade port positively or not!

(Edited for specificity)

The game's been out in Japan for a while, this is just the first arcade cabinet.

I mean, we already have japanese doujin for the game

The game's been out in Japan for a while, this is just the first arcade cabinet.

I mean, we already have japanese doujin for the game

I mean, I've seen some Japanese people play on stream and I've played a few Japanese people myself, but from my understanding most Japanese players still play in arcades. Whether the game will be successful in arcades is still unknown territory, and it may also be a... buggy/broken port God forbid.

Soo how much does it cost to buy a private Skullgirls Arcade thingy?
Becous I plan on saving money untill I can buy one. Like maby put my change money in a big jar everyday!

I for one welcome our Justin Wong Overlords.

Soo how much does it cost to buy a private Skullgirls Arcade thingy?
Becous I plan on saving money untill I can buy one. Like maby put my change money in a big jar everyday!
There's no such thing as a private SG cabinet. SG runs on Nesica, which is a sort of new form of arcade cab.

You buy a generic Nesica cab and it connects online to the Nesica game marketplace. Arcade operators can then buy any games they want for the cab. Users cycle through all the games that have been bought for the cab and choose the one they want to play.
Nesica's are hugely expensive, have monthly rental charges on them and can only be operated in Japan.

Reactions: +5 Necromancer