• As part of the relaunch of Skullheart, ALL previous threads have been archived. You can find them at the bottom of the forum in the Archives (2021) section. The archives are locked, so please use the new forum sections to create new discussion threads.

Skullgirls Lore Speculation

Cellsai

BEEP BOOP BAN
Reaction score
Website
askminette.tumblr.com
Valentine Cerebella
Please use this thread to discuss your thoughts on unconfirmed aspects of the Skullgirls lore. You can brush up on all the details we do know in the Canon Info thread.

Is Lorenzo Medici Filia's Grandad or her Great Grandad? Or either? Is the mysterious 4th portrait on the wall in the Medici Tower Filia's brother? Is Double actually Mother? Just what is Samson hiding from Filia? Is it possible for Valentine to sleep face down?

Post all your theorizing and speculation in here, but please give at least some official grounding point on where your ideas spring from. Bonus points for pictures and detailed analysis!

Reactions: Denizen
I thought that the candidate that Double ultimately chose to become the Skullgirl in her story-mode was Umbrella.

1. Umbrella has an unnatural connection to the Skull Heart, both seen in Parasoul's story mode and tidbits Alex has given out.
2. Umbrella was easily lured to the Skull Heart in Parasoul's story mode and didn't seem to understand or care much about becoming a Skullgirl. The same could have happened in Double's story mode, except Parasoul obviously didn't end up saving Umbrella in the end.
3. The other 7 members of the vanilla cast were devoured, and since Umbrella was due to be the first DLC character I would think that she'd be likely to be the odd one out.

I'm not sure if this was ever confirmed, but I think it's likely that the life gem was of some importance to the Medicis because it was the artifact keeping an unnaturally youthful Lorenzo Medici alive. Lorenzo appears at Squigly's funeral, looking youthful; just 14 years later he has the appearance of an old man in Peacock's story mode.

It's implied very lightly in her story mode, but I think that pre-parasite Filia was a sort of ruthless mob princess who sold Carol out to Lab 0 for selfish reasons. Samson might have chosen to attach to Filia to use her as leverage in case the Medicis ever got in Samson's way.

Last edited:
Reactions: That Good Sir
Is Lorenzo Medici Filia's Grandad or her Great Grandad? Or either? Is the mysterious 4th portrait on the wall in the Medici Tower Filia's brother?
Alex did confirm that the other 3 portraits on the walls are all Lorenzo's sons. So Lorenzo is Filia's grandfather and Vitale and the mysterious guy are her uncles.

Alex did confirm that the other 3 portraits on the walls are all Lorenzo's sons. So Lorenzo is Filia's grandfather and Vitale and the mysterious guy are her uncles.
Awesome! Man, it sucks missing all these Salties.

If it's still true that the various story modes contain some truth to them then...

-Black Dahlia killed Squigly.
-Going of the one above, that means Ms. Fortune and Squigly are the 2 targets that have managed to walk away from her (as per BD's profile on the character vote page: http://www.labzerogames.com/3rdcharacter/)
-Considering how Double instigated the Medicis into killing the Continellos, she may have been involved in Queen Renoirs' transformation into a Skullgirl

Also
-Based on this picture drawn by Alex, http://www.fightersgeneration.com/nx5/char/eliza-skullgirls-concept3.jpg, Eliza may have had something to do with Samson's previous host, Delilah. Might have even been the one to kill/get rid of her.

aannnnnd that's all for now. Gosh I love this game.

Double said herself that she was with Queen Renoir when she became the skullgirl when she says "your mother had always prayed for peace" in Parasouls story

Regarding Filia and her heritage, I did a bit of digging about the historic Medici family online. Bear with me, this is a long one.

Could the Real Lorenzo Please Stand up?
The Medici Family tree, as I found it, contained no less than FOUR members by the name of"Lorenzo di' Medici": Lorenzo the Elder, Lorenzo the Magnificent, Lorenzo the Popolano, and Duke Lorenzo of Urbino.

The Other Sons
Now, the closest I could find to the Lorenzo in the Skullgirls universe is Lorenzo de' Medici 'The Magnificent'. He had three sons, four daughters, and one adopted nephew, none of which were named 'Vitale'. (Vitale, interestingly, is not a name that I found on the family tree at all.)

Lorenzo's more prominent sons were Giuliano, Giovanni, and Piero 'the Unfortunate'. Lorenzo became the adoptive father of a fourth by the name of Giulio, after his father - Lorenzo's brother - Giuliano (Not to be confused with Lorenzo's son of the same name) was assassinated in an attempted coup to remove the Medici family from Florence.

It is probable that the other three portraits in Medici Tower are based on these fellows.

Unfortunate Son
Relating all of this nonsense to the Skullgirls universe, I think that Piero is the most likely father of Filia. Piero 'the Unfortunate', as everyone called him, was meant to be the successor to the Medici dynasty - but he was exiled due to overwhelming public disapproval. Piero met a truly unfortunate end, dying by drowning nine years after his exile - and leaving one daughter behind. This is more than could be said for his brothers, who either became influential members of the Church or had sons instead.

Of course, considering that Lorenzo had the Life Gem in his possession, it's more than possible that he has outlived several generations of the Medici family, meaning that you just wasted all your time reading this. But for your sake and mine, let's hope not.

Here's a speculation question:
Stanley used to work at Lab 4 and specialized in handheld weaponry.
Panzerfaust was created/augmented at Lab 3 and is a known associate of the ASG Labs.

So was Stanley involved in the creation of the Panzerfaust's Tank Fist?

Alex did say that Lab 1 or 2 are the labs responsible for creating technology used by the other labs, so I would imagine that it was developed by one of those?

Anyone want to take a stab at a backstory for Irvin? The poor guy has more screentime and less lore than most of the DLC-candidates combined.

Anyone want to take a stab at a backstory for Irvin? The poor guy has more screentime and less lore than most of the DLC-candidates combined.
isnt he just a rugular private eye hired by the river king, it looks like he has gun holsters so maybe uses guns as a main weapon for fighting?

The Other Sons
Now, the closest I could find to the Lorenzo in the Skullgirls universe is Lorenzo de' Medici 'The Magnificent'. He had three sons, four daughters, and one adopted nephew, none of which were named 'Vitale'. (Vitale, interestingly, is not a name that I found on the family tree at all.)
Which means Alex gave him this name for a reason. Now, am I wrong or 'vita' means life? Dem Life Gem shenanigans >_>

Uuuhhh what card does Feng represent?
tumblr_mq7lngUnwh1rvtnano1_500.jpg

EDIT: Nevermind it's the Ace, sorry.

Probably already known by some egghead here, but...

Delilah is a biblical figure, Samson's (the biblical figure) love, who ultimately betrayed Samson in the worst of ways.

The story goes as such: Samson was an unnaturally strong warrior. The Philistines approached Delilah and asked for her assistance in finding out the secret to Samson's strength in return for riches. Only after Samson fell in love with Delilah did he reveal his secret, after which Delilah sold him out.

The Samson of Skullgirls has ambitions of finding the Skull Heart, as do the Medicis. I believe that Delilah was possibly a Medici agent sent to pair with Samson so that she may obtain the Skull Heart to use for the Medici's ends, using Samson's unnatural parasitic connection to the Skull Heart to assist her. Samson grew fond of her company as they traveled, but somewhere along their journey Delilah made her move and betrayed Samson...

Alternatively, Delilah was sent by the Medicis after Samson but never betrayed him, instead meeting an unfortunate end somewhere along the line on their journey. While what exactly happens to her is never stated (to my knowledge), one of Samson's win quotes for Marie states "This one's for Delilah!", implying that he is in a way taking vengeance for what the Skull Heart did to Delilah; turning her into a Skullgirl, or perhaps perverting her wish.

Knowing that Delilah wouldn't have come into harm's way if it weren't for the Medicis using her for ill intention, he soon decides to attach himself to the granddaughter of the head of the Medicis: Filia. Possibly for revenge, possibly for leverage, Samson uses Filia to attempt to wish upon the Skull Heart once more.

Last edited:
I think what happened to Delilah is related to Eliza, i think the girl holding the swords in this image.
Eliza_Concept_2.jpg

I believe this girl is Delilah because of her different outfit and swords (which Filia dosnt have). I think Eliza killed her a long time ago,

I saw a gameplay vid of Squigly recently (sadly, I've got Skullgirls, but I realized too late my stupid built in video card doesn't support things of the STEAM variety. Grumble grumble) and one thing that Leviathan said got to me:

He made mention of he and Samsons relationship as old..."even before there was a skullheart." I always thought that in this universe, it had always just been there, but now, I'm wondering if in an effort to control the balance of power or even surpass the power that parasites posed, means were employed to get the Skullheart in existence. We know that one of the kingdom's is heavily based on magic as it's form of "technology", so maybe an immensely powerful event gave way to the Skullheart, but made the trinity as well. I know they're goddesses, but are they the supreme beings in the SG universe? I don't think so, if they created things from the start, why are they eagerly trying to take a hold of things for their benefit? Could there be something worse they're afraid of? Something that they serve and wish to usurp?[spoiler/]

Reactions: TailsWorld1
He made mention of he and Samsons relationship as old..."even before there was a skullheart." I always thought that in this universe, it had always just been there, but now, I'm wondering if in an effort to control the balance of power or even surpass the power that parasites posed, means were employed to get the Skullheart in existence. We know that one of the kingdom's is heavily based on magic as it's form of "technology", so maybe an immensely powerful event gave way to the Skullheart, but made the trinity as well. I know they're goddesses, but are they the supreme beings in the SG universe? I don't think so, if they created things from the start, why are they eagerly trying to take a hold of things for their benefit? Could there be something worse they're afraid of? Something that they serve and wish to usurp?

If I remember right, in Isaac's bio for possible DLC characters it said he made some unsettling discoveries below the Canopy Kingdom. Perhaps it was proof of a time before the Skullheart and the Trinity?

Reactions: Shockdingo
Even from behind Delilah is way cooler than Filia.

Reactions: Hyperaxe1
Even from behind Delilah is way cooler than Filia.
I said this in another thread, but Filia is really boring.

which is really disappointing since there are hints of a very interesting history to her and its all hidden away under the old "oh snap its amnesia" story.

and the sad part is that many storylines tend to drag when resolving "lost memories" as a plot device, meaning i have very little hope that we're getting any confirmation on who filia is until skullgirls 2 (whenever that happens). :confused:

I said this in another thread, but Filia is really boring.

which is really disappointing since there are hints of a very interesting history to her and its all hidden away under the old "oh snap its amnesia" story.

and the sad part is that many storylines tend to drag when resolving "lost memories" as a plot device, meaning i have very little hope that we're getting any confirmation on who filia is until skullgirls 2 (whenever that happens). :confused:

What? We know who Filia is -- all the hints indicate that she's a missing Medici scion, apparently Vitale's niece. It's worth pointing out that her name means "daughter" in Latin, so there's an obvious thematic link to the most powerful "Family" in the kingdom (after the Renoirs).

all the hints indicate that she's a missing Medici scion, apparently Vitale's niece
Where did that last bit come from anyway? I keep hearing it but don't know what's the source. The only thing in-game I recall is "Medici blood flows through your veins", which is a bit broader than "Vitale's niece".

Which means Alex gave him this name for a reason. Now, am I wrong or 'vita' means life? Dem Life Gem shenanigans >_>

Found on behindthename.com
VITALE
MEANING AND HISTORY: Italian form of the Late Latin name Vitalis, which was derived from Latin vitalis "of life, vital". Vitalis was the name of several early saints and martyrs.
Related names
FEMININE FORM: Vitalia OTHER LANGUAGES: Vitalis (Late Roman), Vitalijus (Lithuanian), Vitali, Vitaliy, Vitaly, Vitya (Russian), Vidal (Spanish)

Where did that last bit come from anyway? I keep hearing it but don't know what's the source. The only thing in-game I recall is "Medici blood flows through your veins", which is a bit broader than "Vitale's niece".

There are clues in the artwork. There's a picture of two people who are most likely supposed to be Filia's parents, and her father is in one of the portraits hanging on the walls of Lorenzo's office.

Peacock and Cerebella also have win quotes against Filia that imply the connection pretty strongly:
PEACOCK: I expected more from the Medici mob.
CEREBELLA: The new 'do just isn't you! [Implying that she knew Filia before Samson.]

CEREBELLA: The new 'do just isn't you! [Implying that she knew Filia before Samson.]
Always assumed that's just a jab at "the new you" shampoo/hair-conditioner commercials, ala Peacock's "Maybe she's born with it".

Big Images:
AHQ4bTq.png

GdubSET.jpg
I'm gonna say it's safe to assume that Mother looks as she does on the stature (as she is above Aeon and Venus on it). If that's true, then maybe Double is called Double not because she can look like others but because she's Mother's double, what with the half-face, crown and tentacley appendages and all.

Also, I wonder what her role is in the story. Aeon clarified that Venus and Aeon are going to be involved in the most interesting timeline (the canon story, presumably) but not much has been said about Mother. Is she directly involved with the Skullheart or is her involvement through Aeon and Venus being like her children (so our heroes mess with them and Mother doesn't take it too well) or is she the one behind all the stuff going on with the Skullheart?

Warning, crazy conspiracy theory headed your way:

SO, the other day I was rereading through the 3rd DLC concepts page and happen to come across a very interesting line in Venus' description: "She grows tired of waiting for Mother’s plan and calls upon her unwilling foothold on the outside in a small act of rebellion."

If this still holds true, then who might this unwilling foothold be? At the moment, Double is the only character I can think would fit this. However, if that's the case then some interesting things may be true: a) Double isn't as much of a....villain as she(?) is portrayed to be (especially in Squigs story mode) and b) The Skullgirl/Skullheart may have nothing to do with what is REALLY going down in the SG universe. It would make for a very interesting plot twist I admit.

Though I wonder, if it's not Double, who might it be?
.....How about Black Dahlia?

How you may ask? What if Double, or Venus even, had been directly involved with what happened to her in the past? (If she holds true to her name, she may have been mutilated in a similar manor as her real life counterpart) The trauma from surviving such a horrific attack then leads her to become vicious and cold blooded and eventually worked her way the very, if not almost, heart of the Medicis, who thus far seem to be the cause for many things in the SG universe (Marie becoming a Skullgirl in the first place for example) This would make Black Daliah a perfect, if not very useful, pawn.

And that's my rambling for now. Hope I made some kind of sense oAo'''

One thing I'm really very interested in is Marie and her resistance of the Skullheart. Her will is extremely strong so she is able to use the Skullheart for "good." (saving the building from falling on people in Squigly's chapter, etc.)

Something that constantly comes up in story mode though is that Marie can't last much longer - and that she'll falter and that'll be the end of that because all Skullgirls in the past do. -but that's...not a perfect argument, is it?

So my question is: if the others hadn't intervened - could Marie have actually completed her goals? Did she have a strong enough will to resist the Skullheart and finish her goal completely? We never find out because nobody gives her a chance (and Double thinks she doesn't so she attacks not wanting to wait any longer).

What follows is my quick headcanon for how a Marie Story Mode would have played out: feel free to never venture further.

Intro: Marie in the darkness of the catacombs feeling the Skullheart's evil pulsing through her veins; her will is absolute but even she understands that the Skullheart is spreading its poison influence through her. She decides she must speed up her campaign against the Medici's if she is to see her goal; so she leaves the catacombs and seeks out foes.

Story Battle 1: Cerebella. Marie attacks one of the Medicis - Vitale. Cere' is there to defend.
Story Battle 2: Parasoul. The chaos of the Skullgirl being sighted on the streets has alerted all of New Meridian to her presence. Parasoul and the Black Egrets are the first to respond.
Filler Battles (foes looking to gain the Soul Heart.)
Story Battle 3: Peacock. Marie has to face her old friend.
Filler Battles
Story Battle 4: Black Dhalia (I know she's not in the game and didn't make the cut; but this is all headcanon anyway so shaddap). Marie takes on Lorenzo but the Big Bad Black D is there as a final roadblock and embodiment of the Medici's evils.
Story Battle 5: Skullheart (Marie 300%). Boss time. Now that Marie has finished her goal of taking down the Medici's and ridding New Meridian of their cancer, she realizes that what comes next is going to be horror and destruction. She still has willpower remaining though, so she makes a decision instead to end her life. As she tries to rip the Skullheart out of her soul however, it reacts in indignant protest; and like the battle in Painwheel's storymode where she had to face herself; Marie must now overcome what she has become - a force of terrible power driven by the Skullheart.

Finale: Catacombs. Lit by the blue, unearthly light of the Skullheart, we see Marie laying on the floor - dying and beyond exhausted. A gaping wound in her chest from where she pulled the Skullheart out. A smile is on her face. "I'm sorry...Patricia...I'm sorry everyone who had to die in my campaign to destroy evil. -but I won. I did it." She turns her head to her side and closes her eyes. "Patricia...I hope you'd be proud of me." Camera pulls away to show the Skullheart still hovering over her now deceased body. In the corner Double in nun form stands watch with an expressionless face - her emotions impossible to read.

Last edited:
One thing I'm really very interested in is Marie and her resistance of the Skullheart. Her will is extremely strong so she is able to use the Skullheart for "good." (saving the building from falling on people in Squigly's chapter, etc.)

Something that constantly comes up in story mode though is that Marie can't last much longer - and that she'll falter and that'll be the end of that because all Skullgirls in the past do. -but that's...not a perfect argument, is it?

So my question is: if the others hadn't intervened - could Marie have actually completed her goals? Did she have a strong enough will to resist the Skullheart and finish her goal completely? We never mind out because nobody gives her a chance (and Double thinks she doesn't so she attacks not wanting to wait any longer).

What follows is my quick headcanon for how a Marie Story Mode would have played out: feel free to never venture further.

Intro: Marie in the darkness of the catacombs feeling the Skullheart's evil pulsing through her veins; her will is absolute but even she understands that the Skullheart is spreading its poison influence through her. She decides she must speed up her campaign against the Medici's if she is to see her goal; so she leaves the catacombs and seeks out foes.

Story Battle 1: Cerebella. Marie attacks one of the Medicis - Vitale. Cere' is there to defend.
Story Battle 2: Parasoul. The chaos of the Skullgirl being sighted on the streets has alerted all of New Meridian to her presence. Parasoul and the Black Egrets are the first to respond.
Filler Battles
Story Battle 4: Black Dhalia (I know she's not in the game and didn't make the cut; but this is all headcanon anyway so shaddap). Marie takes on Lorenzo but the Big Bad Black D is there as a final roadblock and embodiment of the Medici's evils.
Story Battle 5: Skullheart (Marie 300%). Boss time. Now that Marie has finished her goal of taking down the Medici's and ridding New Meridian of their cancer, she realizes that what comes next is going to be horror and destruction. She still has willpower remaining though, so she makes a decision instead to end her life. As she tries to rip the Skullheart out of her soul however, it reacts in indignant protest; and like the battle in Painwheel's storymode where she had to face herself; Marie must now overcome what she has become - a force of terrible power driven by the Skullheart.

Finale: Catacombs. Lit by the blue, unearthly light of the Skullheart, we see Marie laying on the floor - dying and beyond exhausted. A gaping wound in her chest from where she pulled the Skullheart out. A smile is on her face. "I'm sorry...Patricia...I'm sorry everyone who had to die in my campaign to destroy evil. -but I won. I did it." She turns her head to her side and closes her eyes. "Patricia...I hope you'd be proud of me." Camera pulls away to show the Skullheart still hovering over her now deceased body. In the corner Double in nun form stands watch with an expressionless face - her emotions impossible to read.
That was amazing! Very well written and believable, good work.

Filler Battles

Noooo! Not the Feels! Anything but that! ;A; </3
(This is really good by the way)

So my question is: if the others hadn't intervened - could Marie have actually completed her goals? Did she have a strong enough will to resist the Skullheart and finish her goal completely? We never find out because nobody gives her a chance (and Double thinks she doesn't so she attacks not wanting to wait any longer).

Filler Battles

image.jpg

MOD EDIT: Please spoiler large images

Last edited by a moderator:

Filler Battles

SIR I SHOUT FUCK YOUS FROM THE GREATEST OF HEIGHTS.

Filler Battles

Hmmm....that was a rather interesting theory indeed. Maybe a good fanfiction material perhaps?

Filler Battles

This shall be Marie's Story Mode if Marie got chosen as a DLC.

Hee; thanks everyone. It's quite appreciated. If I knew that little bit would have been so well received I would've put more effort into detailing each part! I really am interested in what the official Marie story would have been. She may be the antagonist of the game, but I've always viewed her as another tragic hero rather than a villain.

Are there different 'levels' of feral genes? It seems that resemblance to an animal counterpart varies between different feral characters in Skullgirls. Chiefly, comparing a 'feral' like Nadia, who only possesses some traits such as the ears and tail, in contrast with 'ferals' like Horace and Aldus - who bear a stronger resemblance to their animal counterparts.

Are there different 'levels' of feral genes? It seems that resemblance to an animal counterpart varies between different feral characters in Skullgirls. Chiefly, comparing a 'feral' like Nadia, who only possesses some traits such as the ears and tail, in contrast with 'ferals' like Horace and Aldus - who bear a stronger resemblance to their animal counterparts.
That's actually a good question that I asked Alex Ahad at Salty one time. Well, I specifically asked him if all Female Ferals were more human in appearance than all Male Ferals, you know like sexual dimorphism. He said that there are plenty of Male Ferals that are like Nadia in that they are mostly Human looking with Animal traits.
What determines whether a Feral is Human-like or Animal-like is probably random.

A better question is what happens when a Human and a Feral have a kid. Is it one or the other? Or is it some sort of hybrid? Are they even able to have kids? I assume they can since Scythana is Half-Gigan.

The brings up another question, HOW is that possible? A Human and a Gigan?

What if... Beowulf is a Human-Like Feral?

OK, I was just kidding. But who knows if Doctor Avian is a Bird-like human? Or maybe he's a Gigan? I wish I can see more men being human-like with animal traits or women being animal-like with human traits.