• As part of the relaunch of Skullheart, ALL previous threads have been archived. You can find them at the bottom of the forum in the Archives (2021) section. The archives are locked, so please use the new forum sections to create new discussion threads.

Skullgirls Mobile General Discussion

When I use Peacock's tag-in she teleports in directly under where the AI is standing and uppercuts them.
When the AI uses Peacock's tag-in she also teleports in directly under where the AI's first team member was standing.

I couldn't play the beta if I wanted to since I just have a fliptop phone, but I just found a playthrough posted on YouTube & watched the tutorial with Val & Para/Egrets (first 25 mins or so of the game).

Loving the art & dialogue so far. Nice work!

edit: Putting all of these on bug thread obv.

I checked and if I missed it I'm sorry for asking it but will an Internet connection be required to play? I hope not cause my iPod doesn't exactly have a constant connection if I'm out and about

I checked and if I missed it I'm sorry for asking it but will an Internet connection be required to play? I hope not cause my iPod doesn't exactly have a constant connection if I'm out and about
For the Beta, a constant connection is not required. You need one to start up the game is all, but after that you're fine. I think in the full version a connection will be required though.

While I know it's not guaranteed Taliesin will make it into the game, I thought this palette name I came up with was too good not to share.

Edward Taliesin: 'Spoony Bark'

tsk... not 100% sure where to post this but...

BigNoNo.jpg

@MightyZug I'm just curious about how you're going to deal with piracy. Are we going to see the return of the sad square root of fish?

Update: Oh great this guy just gave out where you can pirate the game... how nice of him.

BigNoNo2.jpg

Last edited:
Ugh... Well, that guy's wrong in that he's getting caught, and something bad WILL happen to him. I made a comment telling anybody who reads it to avoid pirating Skullgirls.

Ugh... Well, that guy's wrong in that he's getting caught, and something bad WILL happen to him. I made a comment telling anybody who reads it to avoid pirating Skullgirls.
no no no no no no

Don't forget about Dan Hibiki and his adventure with pirating SG... ah.

if anything we should expect Hidden Variable to put in a thing that should detect if the game is pirated or not giving out the message:

piracy.0.png

to the player.

But you are right. That guy did give out the WEBSITE which is hosting that material. That's more important to go after.

@Ninja Wait, what? I don't know anything about the Dan Hibiki thing or what I possibly did wrong. Was it simply getting too involved in the situation...? o.o
Long story short, there is a guy named Dan Hibiki who pirated Skullgirls and received the message "What is the square root of a fish? Now I'm sad" after beating story mode. When he told other people about the message on Twitter, the official Skullgirls Twitter account told him that he should buy the game instead pirating it. There was no animosity, though, since Dan apologized and Lab Zero told him to do the right thing eventually.

Reactions: Ninja
Long story short, there is a guy named Dan Hibiki who pirated Skullgirls and received the message "What is the square root of a fish? Now I'm sad" after beating story mode. When he told other people about the message on Twitter, the official Skullgirls Twitter account told him that he should buy the game instead pirating it. There was no animosity, though, since Dan apologized and Lab Zero told him to do the right thing eventually.
Oh, that, I know about that save for the pirater's name. I thought based on Ninja's "no no no no no no" that I was getting too involved than I should.

I've been playing a lot of Contest of Champions to get a better idea of what you guys are shooting for. There were some things that @MightyZug said in the bug thread that I have a better understanding of now. I understand why you guys are making supers unflinchable throughout. In CoC, Rhino gains basically unflinchable during a dash attack and has the chance to be unblockable. If he was in this game, or if you have a move with similar properties, you could charge through supers and not feel challenged in the slightest because you would beat nearly every option the computer could throw out. Even though I get it now, you guys are trying to be like CoC, I still feel like you should be able to break through someone's super. In CoC it doesn't feel weird that you can't, because it is it's own thing, it isn't using an existing fighting game.

Also, it was mentioned in the bug thread that things like being able to hit the opponent in the air without them blocking would be fun for the player to do to the AI. After I guess getting lucky in CoC and pulling Rhino early, a lot of the game felt very unfun. All I do every match is start with dash back, dash attack forward. If I am blocked, do it again until it hits, and even if it's blocked Rhino has a chance to break the opponent's block and hit them anyway. It beats attacks, it beats block, it beats super, and the only thing it loses to is a perfectly timed dash attack (assuming I don't react to it and just block). This is incredibly dull in an already simple game. Sure, there are things that can kill me if I get hit, but I'm taking down guys 3-4 times my battle power because of this simple thing.

Also, another thing I do hope you guys improve on: please don't have supers in the game that can't be punished on block. There are so many of these in CoC. If I'm on the verge of death, I almost can't afford to play defensive because there's nothing I can do to punish if they super. I already like the fact that you guys don't have unblockable cinematic fullscreen supers, so you're already doing great.

Oh yeah. I also like CoC type advantages a lot more than SGMobile. There are 6 classes in CoC (cosmic, tech, mutant, power, science, magic), and each one is strong and weak against another. In SGMobile, there are 3 types that behave like that, but the light/dark matchup is equally bad for both sides. It didn't feel good when I was messing with the demo to be unable to pick to my advantage, which seems like the whole point of type advantages.

Regarding the whole "it's fun to do unblockables to the AI" thing, tbh, it doesn't feel fun at all, just feels like I'm abusing bullshit that shouldn't be there. And what really doesn't feel fun is when the AI does it to me, especially when they're at a high enough level to straight up kill me like that. Looking at you, gold Bella in chapter 4 advanced with an Ultimate Showstopper I literally can't avoid to OHKO one character and then just get the rest of my team on incoming too.

Reactions: Cellsai and Zidiane
Regarding the whole "it's fun to do unblockables to the AI" thing, tbh, it doesn't feel fun at all, just feels like I'm abusing bullshit that shouldn't be there. And what really doesn't feel fun is when the AI does it to me, especially when they're at a high enough level to straight up kill me like that.
This.

I know y'all at HV have explained your standpoint on this before, but I absolutely disagree with the mentality that anything that can lead to my entire team dying one after another is fun when I can't do anything to stop it. The negative feelings of the AI being able to do it me FAR outweigh any gains of me being able to do it to the AI.

Whenever a character dies I feel "Okay, that's one of my lives gone. I still have another chance to turn this around." When my guy is just flat killed on incoming, that chance is stolen from me and it makes me annoyed at the game.

EDIT: Also, new build of the beta is out, now with Parasoul, Eliza and a bunch of other fixes.

Last edited:
Are there patch notes?

A new update has been released for the closed beta for Skullgirls on mobile.

iOS users can download the new update from their TestFlight app, and Android users can download the update from store I believe.

Testers should have received an email from TestFlight or the Google Play Store.
If you didn't receive this email, here are the patch notes:
NEW FEATURES

- Unlock playable Parasoul + Eliza via debug Relics! (not all Skill Tree Abilities are functional)
- Get free Theonite via Relics screen!
- AI improvements
- Updated event maps & fight modifiers
- Updated Relic opening sequence (work in progress!)
- Most level gates removed from Skill Trees
- Added MANY more Loading Screen tips (all hopefully short enough to be readable!)​

BUG FIXES

- Fixed highlight bugs on available nodes on the node map
- Fixed a Tutorial non-prog
- Fixed some nodes not being accessible after completing a treasure node
- Fixed character cards sometimes not appearing
- Fixed player level up rewards sometimes not being awarded
- Fixed a crash with one of Peacock's blockbusters
- Fixed an issue with Big Band receiving super meter during a blockbuster
- Fixed the default defense team resetting in Ranked Play after every match​

KNOWN ISSUES / NOT YET FIXED

- Infinite tap combos
- Push Notifications auto-fire regularly on certain devices
- Event matches only grant 1 Canopy Coin per match
- ANDROID ONLY - Dialogue prompts will appear on the loading screen before it’s finished loading/transitioning
- Many, many more to come (thanks for your patience!)​

Thank you again from everyone here on the Skullgirls Mobile Team!

These are not all the updates that the team has been working on, but these are the updates that are "ready for prime time" and are well suited for an offline-only beta build.

Happy testing!

Is the only way to get Parasoul and Eliza through the relics that also unlock the rest of the cast too? Would like to try them but still continue to watch just how long it'll take me to ever find a Gold of anyone else. Can there be a relic that unlocks only those two without doing anything else?

New expert events are... ow. I'd say what really gets annoying is effects that have a chance to trigger on every hit. I throw out a multihitting move and suddenly my opponent has 100% armor before I can even finish my combo, and/or I've got 5 stacks of bleed. And Taser is some crazy ST nonsense where I get hit once and then they can just keep re-dizzying me over and over without me ever getting a chance to get out of there. Combine that with the incoming unblockables and this game kind of isn't fun anymore.

Also, I notice there are fights here that cost 7 energy, so you get chipped out once and it takes even longer now before you get to try again. What happened to anything above 5 being unintended?

Reactions: MightyZug
Also, I notice there are fights here that cost 7 energy, so you get chipped out once and it takes even longer now before you get to try again. What happened to anything above 5 being unintended?

Way behind on following up on stuff, just wanted to quickly note that there's a general Energy System pass that'll be coming down the pipe soon -- we just haven't hit it up yet. Those energy costs do not reflect the desired final energy costs in game. Just a heads-up!

Is the only way to get Parasoul and Eliza through the relics that also unlock the rest of the cast too? Would like to try them but still continue to watch just how long it'll take me to ever find a Gold of anyone else. Can there be a relic that unlocks only those two without doing anything else?

Same here--I'm playing the Beta, and I refuse to use any Relics that will not be part of the main game. My reason is different though: I want to keep my experience playing the game as close to the normal public release as possible, and I don't think I'd be able toreport quite as accurately if I were given a head start of some sort. I'm also observing unlock speeds, which would go right out the window if I obtain everything but the EXP.

But yeah, so far, the Relics where you pay Theonite or those fire thingies, or ones awarded by winning matches, don't seem to have Parasoul or Eliza on their roulettes. Will they be added in sometime?

I also have something I'd like to see: Descriptions and demonstrations for Blockbusters. Explanations on the characters' Blockbusters are not very clear. Special moves all have descriptions on what they do and a character animation to show what they look like, but Blockbusters don't. I had recently unlocked Filia's Widow's Peak and Valentine's Forbidden Procedure, and I had problems figuring out what they do and the conditions to execute them. (I never played the console version of Skullgirls, so most of the characters' moves are new to me.) Well, either that, or I never found where the game introduces you to the Blockbusters that includes seeing the animation for it.

Last edited:
I just wanna know what Peacock's Deadly Airport does...

Tapping Supers on the status menu ought to show their animation, just like how you can tap and swipe to see your normals. Right now tapping them makes a sound effect but does nothing else, so IDK if maybe that's what they're supposed to do but it's just not implemented yet. Also, I'll take this opportunity to once again mention that we need a training mode.

Can aerial specials and supers actually be usable in the air? Kind of silly that they can't, would add a lot of flexibility to characters who currently can't do much in the air - especially ones named Painwheel. I might've mentioned this before, but it'd also be nice if supers that start with a launcher could be context-sensitive, automatically skipping the launcher if the opponent is already airborne.

I can't recreate the weird bug but when I fought peacock in chapter 2 (End of chapter 2), she did the car super and the screen followed her but the car never came. and then she came back and I wailed on her.

Happens any time Peacock does it from the corner. You can see the car appear behind you for like a frame, then I guess the game just gets confused about side switches and/or it whiffing.

Last edited:

Yeah I'm in this boat too.
What I've done is just written down any characters I've gotten besides bronze and I'm only allowed to use those ones.

I finally stopped trying to play the beta 'naturally' and just started using Beta only relics to unlock everything. I feel I've gotten a pretty good look at how natural unlocking and leveling up functions at this point.

Final verdict on relic unlocks: There's definitely something that needs to be tweaked there because after a few days of playing I totally lost interest in unlocking relics. I had enough characters and moves to be able to play basically every stage and the investment required to level up those characters meant I rarely wanted to change out of my 3 or 4 mains.
The only time I ever really changed characters willingly was when I happened to unlock a Silver version of someone and then immediately discarded the Bronze one I'd been using up till that point.

I did eventually get a Gold Filia, but I don't know how authentic that was. I had a bug in the first build where I would earn relics, but then not be able to open them. When the patch dropped it gave me 18 relics that gave Canopy Coins or a small chance to get a Filia. On my 14th box I got her.

------

I've only really max leveled Painwheel just to see if she became more playable with her Advanced Air Juggle unlocked. For some reason that unlock adds a new couple of hits to her air juggles BEFORE she finishes with her standard air juggle she already had. These new hits and her existing ones all seem to deploy as a single combo with a single tap, so I don't really see their function? Just adding a couple of hits? It still leaves PW with her broken "leave the opponent safe on hit" final air hit.
It seems adding these hits as an optional end of combo finisher to her air juggles would be a better idea so I could use them for more advanced combos as they suggest, instead of just adding two hits?

The problem with Painwheel's air chain is that the last hit is supposed to knock down so it'd be safe, but the last hit whiffs on everyone expect Parasoul.

If all advanced air combos do is add additional hits before the final one without really doing anything different, that seems rather disappointing. Though since the final hit is supposed to knock down I guess you can't do anything after it anyway. Perhaps the advanced air combos could instead be a different air combo you can do instead by swiping a direction after you first tap to take to the air, and it'll end differently to allow different followups?

Right now I feel like the biggest problem with this combo system is that there's not much else besides the same basic f,123,launch,air all the time. There needs to be some branches here.

Reactions: No longer exist
Okay, I'm stumped. The bottom-right node in Afterschool Special (normal difficulty) has the opponent always carrying a stack of 5 Armor and requires I use Filia. This negates any damage that I could possibly do except via Bleed, except that won't work because the match inflicts permanent Bleed on my Filia. Is there any way that Bad Hair Day Filia can do damage on the opponent?

I've been able to get around this with other characters by finding something that inflicts Armor Break, but I can't find anything on Bad Hair Day Filia that has that trait. The closest I've found is Burst, which negates effects but only if the opponent switches out--but because there's only one opponent in that match, I can't force a switch. (Bad Hair Day Filia is the only Filia I have--for that reason, I am at 94% completion in "Who's the Boss?," as one match requires two Filias, whereas I'm at 100% on all of the other normal difficulty ones.)

Honestly I'm just really desiring more variety in what I can get from the relics.

Like I wouldn't mind all the characters getting different versions based on all their palettes from the console game. idk just something to make me want to keep getting relics.

I'm guessing they probably will trickle out more palettes over time. But that only slightly extends how long it takes to reach the point where relics are again worthless.

I think the real problem is that the consolation prize for dupes isn't enough. You get a tiny pittance of coins, a few skill points (which I never have enough coins to spend anymore), and shards... which will just end up getting you another dupe. They should offer something a little better. Some Theonite, perhaps small energy refills, maybe something like XP potions you can give to your lower level characters to help bring them up to speed - this will surely be helpful when new characters or palettes get released and you have to grind them back up from 1 again.

Or perhaps duplicate characters could give some sort of boost to that character, and special move leveling could be reworked so that your dupe specials boost those too. Then you'll want to keep finding more of them.

My main deal is that I unlocked everything way too fast. For a game like this, as sucky as it sounds, you can't give us everything we want right out of the gate. This is especially when a problem when you can get silvers right at the start and can immediately see how much better they are than bronzes. Golds are then rare so you feel like you're reeeeally wasting your time.
It combines the bad parts of getting things fast AND getting things slowly by having most of the items super easy to get and some nigh impossible.

A really drastic solution (that would probably be a lot of work to be honest and have sweeping balance changes across the game most likely) would make something where you have to get a bunch of character fragments to unlock a character, and not allow you to just unlock everything on a single draw from a relic. That sounds like a really dry concept, but you could spruce it up to be more entertaining maybe?

Here's a really elaborate implementation of this, taking cues from Street Pass on 3DS:
Every palette would have a picture associated with it, split up into a grid of locks. (Pictures could just be stills from SG story mode or other official art).
Every time you open a relic you would get a key or two. Keys are divided by character and can be bronze/silver/gold just like now. You can then use a key to unlock a portion of the picture. The player gets to choose which portion so they get a sense of agency. A silver Filia key can be used to open a portion on any silver Filia palette.

Bronze characters only have a handful of pieces, so you can unlock them pretty quick and give the player a full set of characters quick. Silvers and gold would have far more pieces, and they'd be rarer. This would stretch out the process of unlocking stuff waaaaaay more, but it would retain a sense of working towards something. And hey, everyone loves unlocking art, even if they've seen it before.

Once you've finished a bronze character unlock you can start converting all your excess keys into silvers. 5 bronze keys for one silver or something.

Unlocking special moves would function identically, but instead of collecting keys you collect animation frames. Once you have all the frames for a move you can use it.

Obviously this is waaaaaay overkill as a form of feedback, so you won't hurt my feelings by ignoring it. I just feel that unlocking stuff as it is now is boring as heck and totally unsatisfying.

I'm not sure if this was mentioned elsewhere or if it's something that'll eventually be fixed anyways, so I'll mention it!

In cutscenes, the transitions for character portraits are too abrupt; when a character's portrait changes, it immediately switches with no fade. Skullgirls (and most visual novels) typically fade out the first sprite while fading in the second, or have some sort of gradient wipe effect. It'd make the cutscenes look a little nicer, so I hope it can be added.

They should offer something a little better. Some Theonite, perhaps small energy refills, maybe something like XP potions you can give to your lower level characters to help bring them up to speed - this will surely be helpful when new characters or palettes get released and you have to grind them back up from 1 again.

^ i am all for this. it is definitely frustrating opening relics and getting handed a bunch of dupes you can't really do much with.

Dupes could also just give some gold / Theonite.

Overwatch gives you tiny amounts of currency for getting items you already have as small compensation.

So has anyone got gifs of the new animations? I heard eliza got some new stuff.
You can see them in the previous broadcast for Salty.
They are also posted in /lzg/.

In Eliza's she has a large purse dripping with blood and a giant pair of aviators.
"Yes, I am rich."

You can see them in the previous broadcast for Salty.
They are also posted in /lzg/.

In Eliza's she has a large purse dripping with blood and a giant pair of aviators.
"Yes, I am rich."
All saved, thank you!