• As part of the relaunch of Skullheart, ALL previous threads have been archived. You can find them at the bottom of the forum in the Archives (2021) section. The archives are locked, so please use the new forum sections to create new discussion threads.

Skullgirls PC Beta Updates Discussion

A Bread N Butter is a kind of snack, yo. And to think, i've always wondered why we call ourselves "Hungry", and the answer was right there.

I sort of thought BNB was like "as opposed to a situational combo" e.g. something that's CH only or starts off air throw or something.

Reactions: Mao
I sort of thought BNB was like "as opposed to a situational combo" e.g. something that's CH only or starts off air throw or something.

CH combo maybe not, but I would definitely call an air throw combo a BnB (unless it was ridiculously complicated, but I don't think any combos have NO air throw combos that are relatively simple).

My "definition" of BnB is anything that is optimized *enough* so that it's considered practical (in skullgirls "max undizzy" is a good metric), but it's not by any means max damage, and it's usually relatively simple to perform. I would also say that BnBs are combos you should know how to do to play the character (which is why I would consider airthrow combos BnBs because if you can't combo off of an airthrow your air mixup game becomes far weaker, so I consider an airthrow to be a relatively standard combo starter, but something like being able to combo off a stray hit or an assist or something I would not consider a BnB).

Fukua doesn't have anything after air throw, Val has to spend meter, Bella's feels pretty precise to actually get anything.

Fukua doesn't have anything after air throw, Val has to spend meter, Bella's feels pretty precise to actually get anything.
Val doesn't have to in the corner against light characters if I'm not mistaken. And Bella's is actually pretty easy to convert off of unless you're 1 inch above the ground.

my fault for being unclear, when I said "I don't think any characters have NO air throw combos that are relatively simple" I meant there are no characters whose air combos are difficult enough that I wouldn't consider them to be BnB level. Fukua doesn't have a complicated combo after airthrow because she has NO combo after airthrow. Lots of characters have to spend bar but that doesn't make the combo more difficult, and I would certainly say that being able to combo after airthrow is important for Val players to know.

You really can't have a set meaning for bnb in skullgirls. There are so many combo options available to every character that using one all day is never wise. The closest I think sg gets to "bnb" the way it was used in cvs2 which afaik is where the term widely originated from, is doubles barrel combo. Most other combos that people use in this game are actually pretty distinct to the player themselves, and they change alot.

I could list all the combos I do with painwheel... They all basically have the same skeleton, with an exception here or there, but they aren't used by other painwheel players.

In sg, combos have a lot of parameters that change according to various criteria:

Ch combos and what type of CH
Full undizzy combos
Carry combos
Max damage combos
Combos that end in a 50/50 air throw burst bait
Assist combos that leave a one frame gap in them somewhere to make assist call possible in the next blocked sequence
Assist combos
Non assist combos (differentiating between the 2 becomes important when trying to do assist resets as well as when stealing other players combos)
Happy birthday carry combos
Happy birthday damage combos
Happy birthday resets that don't drop the point.
Varying reset points and therefor stopping the combo at random spots, changing the combo
Throw combos
Combos that only work against standing opponents
Light medium heavy and universal weight combos

And so much more... You get the point.

It's almost impossible to have perfect "bnb" combos in sg seeing as to how so many players have differing combos and differing things they are looking for their combos to give them. I fear that "bnb" in sg is something that will never be totally agreed upon unless everyone agrees that it's at best a mutable metric.

Last edited:
I have no idea if it's a problem with my console or whatnot, but PS3 online skullgirls has been having Massive FPS drops on every stage ever since the Beowulf patch. Am I the only one having this issue? I understand a few fps drops here and there but going down to ~20fps is pretty ridiculous sometimes :/

Other info:

Was playing with roughly ~60-70 ping against JFosh
Characters: Fortune/Squigly/Double vs Double/Fukua/Cerebella
I have an older PS3 ( the really fat ones)
Ethernet cable, definitely WAY above average internet speed.

I have no idea if it's a problem with my console or whatnot, but PS3 online skullgirls has been having Massive FPS drops on every stage ever since the Beowulf patch. Am I the only one having this issue? I understand a few fps drops here and there but going down to ~20fps is pretty ridiculous sometimes :/
Their connection also makes a difference...? I ain't seen it be THAT bad.

Their connection also makes a difference...? I ain't seen it be THAT bad.
Just played a set with cloud and it was still pretty bad. Same thing happened when I played blaise. My internet is also really good so I don't think it's that.

Buuuut I'm also the only common denominator, so it must be at my end.

Just played a set with cloud and it was still pretty bad. Same thing happened when I played blaise. My internet is also really good so I don't think it's that.
Buuuut I'm also the only common denominator, so it must be at my end.
Speed is not jitter. What NAT type does it tell you you have?

Couple of nitpicky UI things to mention about Quick Match.

On the "Looking for opponent" and the like screen you can't back out of this screen with MK. LK gets rid of this screen.

And on the "You have Declined the Match" screen you can't clear this message and go back to the menu with MK, LK clears it.

Hmm so Sage and I were playing some games on PS4 while skyping. Seemed any match where I used Argus would desync for us. And just maybe, but I think Cerebella's MGR also desynced some matched. We tried doing solobella mirrors and would occasionally get desynced. As we were talking there were times I grabbed Sage's character with a MGR and continued the combo while Sage said he jumped over it and was comboing me. In the end only a few matches never desynced lol, made it pretty much impossible to play a set.

So I was messing around with Robo in training mode when I noticed her IPS trigger buttons werent in any particular order. Every other character has their own little design. What i mean is this. Pictures help more. Painwheel has a little triangle for her specials. and Robo has a straight line

Wondering if anyone else has had this happen.

Ever since I upgraded to windows 10, this has happened to me after a few minutes of play time.
a0dbcb8ebd7221bff2e48bc76057e2e2.gif
Also not shown but the burst and ground tech ripples also look really pixelated.

Wondering if anyone else has had this happen.

Ever since I upgraded to windows 10, this has happened to me after a few minutes of play time.
a0dbcb8ebd7221bff2e48bc76057e2e2.gif
Also not shown but the burst and ground tech ripples also look really pixelated.

Just to check, did you also update video card drivers when you upgraded to Windows 10?

Just to check, did you also update video card drivers when you upgraded to Windows 10?
This stuff goes right over my head :V

I figured everything would just work how it was supposed to after it was done installing and I let it do its own thing. Guess I'll look up how to do this.

So... Are their no more replays in SG? When did this happen?

You have to manually enter it in the launch functions, only the Beta had it automatically.

Reactions: Dime
Wth?

Gah how do I do this and is it available for retail as well?

@render
Both retail and beta:
Big Band's tutorial incorrectly states that Satchmo Solo's input needs to end with LP+MP, even though it's just MP for a while now.
Also the first time it's required in the tutorial (inputting the satchmo command after bringing out the trumpet) the player actually needs to end it in LP+MP (just MP doesn't work).
Ending with just MP correctly works in the following two required times (inputting without the trumpet; inputting without the trumpet plus the qcf+PP followup), though the written section still asks for LP+MP.

@render
Both retail and beta:
Big Band's tutorial incorrectly states that Satchmo Solo's input needs to end with LP+MP, even though it's just MP for a while now.
Also the first time it's required in the tutorial (inputting the satchmo command after bringing out the trumpet) the player actually needs to end it in LP+MP (just MP doesn't work).
Ending with just MP correctly works in the following two required times (inputting without the trumpet; inputting without the trumpet plus the qcf+PP followup), though the written section still asks for LP+MP.

Thanks for the heads up on this.

I don't know if accepting just MP for the last note instead of requiring both LP+MP is intentional. That's up to @Mike_Z. I doubt it, since the entire point of that button sequence is that it's the main Skullgirls theme, and MP isn't the correct note to end on - LP+MP is.

EDIT: I'm not going to fix the tutorial unless and until Mike decides to officially change the required input to just MP.

EDIT 1½: It seems as though the stand-alone Satchmo input allows just MP for the last part, but IF that is intentional, it's likely just for convenience/ease, rather than to make it the official input. You can also do it with LP+MP, so they are effectively the same, and writing the input in the tutorial text isn't technically incorrect.

The from-the-trumpet version still requires LP+MP, as it should, since that's when you're actually playing notes.

Last edited: