• As part of the relaunch of Skullheart, ALL previous threads have been archived. You can find them at the bottom of the forum in the Archives (2021) section. The archives are locked, so please use the new forum sections to create new discussion threads.

Skullgirls PC Beta Updates Discussion

I'm not sure if this counts as a console bug, but I was playing with my buddy who is on the PS4 and I am on the PS3(I joined his public room that he created in Africa), and neither of us could hear the other person on our microphones that we normally use.

By normally use, I mean I use the same headset to talk with him when we both play Skullgirls on the PS3, and we both use the same headsets on other cross platform games such as HellDivers when he is on the PS4 and I am on the PS3.

Not really a bug report but I feel like I should say that Filia's trial combos in 2nd Encore are pretty... sad. There's not even one full combo in there. One of the combos even ends with Gregor wallbounce into nothing when you've got almost half a bar of undizzy left. Two more end in a red-bounce when you've got plenty of room to OTG into one more chain.

The rest of the cast has some practical stuff for their trials.

Last edited:
Not really a bug report but I feel like I should say that Filia's trial combos in 2nd Encore are pretty... sad. There's not even one full combo in there. One of the combos even ends with Gregor wallbounce into nothing when you've got almost half a bar of undizzy left. Two more end in a red-bounce when you've got plenty of room to OTG into one more chain.

The rest of the cast has some practical stuff for their trials.

Yep, we know. Hers, Cerebella's, Beowulf's, and Big Band's need the most improvement and they will be improved in due time.

Reactions: Kai
I feel the trials should have a full basic bnb and a super hard combo to finish, to me having hard trials is great motivation to keep playing, and spending a little more time in them puts you in a good mindset to learn more about the game. The extensive mission mode in marvel is the only reason I kept playing fighting games, knowing a combo is what gave me the courage to go back to online after getting completely destroyed in the first couple games I played. The time I spent on the trials and training mode made me understand what my opponents were doing and gave me a chance to fight back.

For example, there's one trial with Eliza that's almost the full bnb, but it ends before the last ground chain. Why not just make it the whole thing?

Reactions: Aden
I feel the trials should have a full basic bnb and a super hard combo to finish, to me having hard trials is great motivation to keep playing, and spending a little more time in them puts you in a good mindset to learn more about the game. The extensive mission mode in marvel is the only reason I kept playing fighting games, knowing a combo is what gave me the courage to go back to online after getting completely destroyed in the first couple games I played. The time I spent on the trials and training mode made me understand what my opponents were doing and gave me a chance to fight back.

There's a chance that we'll be able to add to the trials a little bit, and make a few improvements to what's already there. Mind you, "basic bnb" is kinda different depending on who you ask. For a complete beginner, a bnb is NOT a fully optimized combo that uses an OTG that has kinda difficult links in it. For someone who's used to things, that's a fully optimized combo that takes advantage of undizzy, uses every resource, and includes a burst bait at the end.

I encourage candid feedback about the trials - though this probably isn't the proper thread for it - but I can't guarantee I'll be able to make vast improvements to them. I've already got a long list of improvements they could use, both big and small.

There's one trial with Eliza that's almost the full bnb, but it ends before the last ground chain. Why not just make it the whole thing?

Which one are you referring to?

The trials were intended to be in a different format than what we ended up having to do, and what we ended up with has pretty strict limitations with length. If there are too many items in the list, the game can potentially crash. That's probably fixable, given more time and resources, but wasn't feasible for us.

Last edited:
Mind you, "basic bnb" is kinda different depending on who you ask. For a complete beginner, a bnb is NOT a fully optimized combo that uses an OTG that has kinda difficult links in it. For someone who's used to things, that's a fully optimized combo that takes advantage of undizzy, uses every resource, and includes a burst bait at the end.
That's the point though, to have a full combo that fills up the undizzy (like fortune's trial 3), you don't have to call it a bnb, just show how far they can go without using meter.

Which one are you referring to?

The trials were intended to be in a different format than what we ended up having to do, and what we ended up with has pretty strict limitations with length. If there are too many items in the list, the game can potentially crash. That's probably fixable, given more time and resources, but wasn't feasible for us.
The combo went from an air chain into a ground chain into super, while it could have a L osiris spiral into another chain. I don't actually have a PS4 to check which one it was, I just saw someone streaming it when it came out so I'm sorry about that, but it's a bummer to know there's a length limitation...

About this not being the right thread for it, I think it can be, since the PS4 version is pretty much taking the 'beta' role now that gameplay changes are done. Maybe change the name of the thread to just 'Skullgirls updates discussion'?

I'd say make a new thread, call it 2nd Encore updates discussion, or something like that. This thread may serve a purpose in the future; you never know where the beta will go.

Reactions: Wenzel
I'd say make a new thread, call it 2nd Encore updates discussion, or something like that. This thread may serve a purpose in the future; you never know where the beta will go.

I Agree, 2 threads to separe the issues about versions ( that would be maybe just Offline stuff.)

"SG Beta" (PS3,X360, PC, Linux, Mac)
" SG2ndE" (PS4/Vita)

Reactions: TechPowah
Its weird to think the game is actually "done." Seems easy to forget the crowdfunding success stories actually do have endings, after being updated regularly for so long.

I'm not sure if this counts as a console bug, but I was playing with my buddy who is on the PS4 and I am on the PS3(I joined his public room that he created in Africa), and neither of us could hear the other person on our microphones that we normally use.
I dunno about this, but if it's fixable it probably means overhauling the PS3 version's voice chat, which may or may not get done. >.<

If I could choose the SG trials for Cerebella:

Trial 1: I would put Trial 3 here. Keep it as is, but with c.lp, c.mp, s.hk as the final chain instead of s.lp, s.mp, s.hk, lp lnl, Dynamo (lp lnl so they have a bnb to use for happy birthdays).
Trial 2: MGR, dash, c.lk, c.mk, j.mp, j.hk, s.mp, j.lk, j.hp, s.mk, s.hp, runstop, c.lk, c.mp, s.hp, runstop, s.lp, s.lp, c.mp, s.hk, cerecopter, Dynamo
Trial 3: Elbow Drop, c.lp, c.mk, j.mp, j.hk, s.mp, j.hp glide, c.lp, c.mp, c.hp, j.lp mash, j.hp, s.lk, c.mp, s.hk, cerecopter
Trial 4: c.lk, c.mp, s.hp, Kanchou, c.mk, j.mp, j.hk, s.hp, Pummel Horse, c.mp, c.hp, j.lp mash, j.hp, c.lp, c.mp, c.hp, Excellebella, Dynamo, Dynamo

Those actually... I duno. Might be a bit difficult? But some of the other trials are difficult, or spike in difficulty anyway. These ones cover all the needs of Bella BNB's; Happy birthday bnb, Grab conversion, overhead conversion, high dmg bnb, and shows runstops, Pummel Horse, Kanchou, and s.mp extensions.

Last edited:
Has the quick match loading infinite spaz been mentioned yet? When I connect to a match and get passed the screen where the connection quality is shown the words start freaking out and I never connect? Is this a bug?

Has the quick match loading infinite spaz been mentioned yet? When I connect to a match and get passed the screen where the connection quality is shown the words start freaking out and I never connect? Is this a bug?

This has happened to me after I turned on my ps4 from being in sleep mode. Had to restart the game to fix it lol

Unrelated, the other day I was playing Kai and we d/ced after every single game we played lol. Don't know what caused it. Hasn't happened with anyone else yet.

Trial 1: I would put Trial 3 here. Keep it as is, but with c.lp, c.mp, s.hk as the final chain instead of s.lp, s.mp, s.hk, lp lnl, Dynamo (lp lnl so they have a bnb to use for happy birthdays).
Trial 2: MGR, dash, c.lk, c.mk, j.mp, j.hk, s.mp, j.lk, j.hp, s.mk, s.hp, runstop, s.lk, c.mp, s.hp, runstop, s.lp, s.lp, c.mp, s.hk, cerecopter, Dynamo
Trial 3: Elbow Drop, c.lp, c.mk, j.mp, j.hk, s.mp, j.hp glide, c.lp, c.mp, c.hp, j.lp mash, j.hp, s.lk, c.mp, s.hk, cerecopter
Trial 4: c.lk, c.mp, s.hp, Kanchou, c.mk, j.mp, j.hk, s.hp, Pummel Horse, c.mp, c.hp, j.lp mash, j.hp, c.lp, c.mp, c.hp, Excellebella, Dynamo, Dynamo

Those actually... I duno. Might be a bit difficult? But some of the other trials are difficult, or spike in difficulty anyway. These ones cover all the needs of Bella BNB's; Happy birthday bnb, Grab conversion, overhead conversion, high dmg bnb, and shows runstops, Pummel Horse, Kanchou, and s.mp extensions.
Holy...! Is that normal? Sure, I'm only Low-Intermediate at best, but that... I don't know that I've seen that. Ever. Not even in other, decent people's play. Yegads.

Holy...! Is that normal? Sure, I'm only Low-Intermediate at best, but that... I don't know that I've seen that. Ever. Not even in other, decent people's play. Yegads.
Well... Trial 4 is my combo. I do that all the time. You've seen Trial 1, certainly. Trial 3 is basically what I used to do for MGR conversions before I started doing s.hp, Pummel Horse. The MGR combo looks a little odd, but that's because I made it to make sure someone knew how to runstop. It's easy, though.

Last edited:
I hope they put PWs corner 1 frame link bnb in the trials.

Also, I hope they come to PC :)

Well... Trial 4 is my combo. I do that all the time. You've seen Trial 1, certainly. Trial 3 is basically what I used to do for MGR conversions before I started doing s.hp, Pummel Horse. The MGR combo looks a little odd, but that's because I made it to make sure someone knew how to runstop. It's easy, though.
Yegads! Good to know these trials are pretty advanced, then. I suddenly don't feel so bad about not getting very far in the Street Fighter 4 ones. Where I'm sitting, LP is a cruel trap that drops my combos to the ground, eats them, and mocks me with the chewed up inputs... I'm still on cLK -> cMP -> cHP -> jLK -> jHK -> cLK -> cMP -> sHK -> Copter -> Dynamo. :(
Thanks for the input, though. Very well put together!

A thing I've noticed (and I bet others have too) is that once completing a tutorial, the black dialogue box doesn't go away during the victory animation. Not sure if intentional or just supposed to be there, but I might as well post it...

Yegads! Good to know these trials are pretty advanced, then. I suddenly don't feel so bad about not getting very far in the Street Fighter 4 ones. Where I'm sitting, LP is a cruel trap that drops my combos to the ground, eats them, and mocks me with the chewed up inputs... I'm still on cLK -> cMP -> cHP -> jLK -> jHK -> cLK -> cMP -> sHK -> Copter -> Dynamo. :(
Thanks for the input, though. Very well put together!
Try adding in the c.lk, c.mk extension. That one is really easy.

That's the only bad thing about these trials, though: there's no real build up to teaching the player the combo, like I kinda thought there was gonna be. Sorta like the trial about defending mixups gradually bumped up the difficult. So, for this basic BNB, if I could gradually bump up the difficult to teach a player that combo, it'd be:
The player only learns the bolded chunk each combo

Stage 1: c.lk, c.mp, s.hk, cerecopter, dynamo

Stage 2: c.lk, c.mp, c.hp, j.lk, j.hk, c.lk, c.mp, s.hk, cerecopter, dynamo

Stage 3: c.lk, c.mp, c.hp, j.lk, j.hk, c.lk, c.mk, j.mp, j.hk, s.lp, s.lp, c.mp, s.hk, cerecopter, dynamo

Stage 4: c.lk, c.mp, c.hp, j.lk, j.hk, c.lk, c.mk, j.mp, j.hk, c.lk, c.mp, c.hp, j.lp mash, j.hp, c.lp, c.mp, s.hk, cerecopter, dynamo
That way you aren't front loading a newer player with this massive wall of combo that they have no clue how to even start to climb.

Reactions: The Dave and Kai
what 1 frame bnb lol

I was wrong in calling it a bnb (since it is not practical), but last I knew, she has a huge corner combo starting with:

c.lk > c.mk > c.hp xx hk.buer, jlk.buer (that's the 1 frame link) into stuff. The actual combo is buried somewhere in the PW forum. It nets ~9k for 1 bar, and I don't think it was figured out by the usual suspects (Caio or Krack).

Edit: Found it... @Shnarfl came up with it. As far as I know, it is still viable.

cLK cMK cHP xx HK buer
jLK buer xx Fly 20
jLK buer 40
otg LK buer xx Fly 60
jLK 75
sMKxx HK buer xx Fly 115
jHP 145
sMP 165
jMP xx aLK buer xx Fly 205
jHK 235
sLP sLK cMP sHP xx LK buer xx Death Crawl\

Does 9.1k, lights only, 1 bar.

Last edited:
Reactions: Pickles
I was wrong in calling it a bnb (since it is not practical), but last I knew, she has a huge corner combo starting with:

c.lk > c.mk > c.hp xx hk.buer, jlk.buer (that's the 1 frame link) into stuff. The actual combo is buried somewhere in the PW forum. It nets ~9k for 1 bar, and I don't think it was figured out by the usual suspects (Caio or Krack).

that is not a one frame link....
hk buer fly lk beur ~_~

that is not a one frame link....
hk buer fly lk beur ~_~
The thing about that combo is that you do a buer as you're falling from the ground H buer, so you can cancel into fly, L buer, and otg with another buer. You get 4 buers in a row doing this, but the link from the H buer into the falling L buer feels like a 1 or 2f link.

Trial 2: MGR, dash, c.lk, c.mk, j.mp, j.hk, s.mp, j.lk, j.hp, s.mk, s.hp, runstop, c.lk, c.mp, s.hp, runstop, s.lp, s.lp, c.mp, s.hk, cerecopter, Dynamo

So where are the Bella combos in that list that are for beginners who just picked up the game day 1 as their first fighting game?

I'm all for having good combos in the trails but that is just excessively optimized for something that exists to teach people the game.

So where are the Bella combos in that list that are for beginners who just picked up the game day 1 as their first fighting game?

I'm all for having good combos in the trails but that is just excessively optimized for something that exists to teach people the game.
So what? Mike is gonna put what he's gonna put in there. I suggested teaching runstop, Pummel Horse, and Kanchou extensions, along with an actual grab conversion (I've been seeing people land MGR and go into Dynamo) and an overhead conversion. I could make a more reasonable list of trials, but I've seen nowhere Mike ask for input on this. And most of these trials, the ones in game, are never going to be completed by "beginners who just picked up the game day 1 as their first fighting game". So...

Aw heck. Whatever. I'll make a new, friendlier potential trial list that still teaches all the same things.

Trial 1: As I said above, since that's the combo that's literally already in the game

Trial 2: MGR, c.lk, c.mp, c.hp, j.lp mash, j.hp, s.lp, s.lp, c.mk, j.mp, j.hk, s.mp, Diamond Drop, Dynamo. Teaches MGR conversion, that stagger is grabbable, j.lp mash extension, and that you can super after DDrop.

Trial 3: Elbow Drop, c.lp, c.mk, j.mp, j.hk, s.hp, Pummel Horse, c.mp, s.hp, runstop, s.lp, s.lp, c.mp, s.hk, cerecopter dynamo. Teaches instant overhead conversions, and Pummel Horse and runstop extensions.

Trial 4: c.lk, c.mp, s.hp, Kanchou, c.mk, Devil Horns, dash, c.lk, c.mk, j.mp, j.mk, c.lk, c.mk, s+f.hp, excellebella, Dynamo. Teaches Kanchou extension, the c.mk, devil horns extension, the "c.mk, Titan Knuckle" thing, and that you can super after Excellebella.

That any better?

Last edited:
I've seen nowhere Mike ask for input on this.
I didn't make the trials, so I wouldn't be asking for that anyways. :^) @render did, and would be, and already knows Cerebella's need work. I gave him similar feedback.

Trial 4: c.lk, c.mp, s.hp, Kanchou, c.mk, Devil Horns, dash, c.lk, c.mk, j.mp, j.mk,
Why j.MK instead of j.HK?

Why j.MK instead of j.HK?
I changed it to make it not an optimized bnb, so it's just there to show that there's another way to restand. Since they would already know that the j.mp, j.hk restand works, as it's in all 3 other wanna-be-trial-combos, why not show them that there're other ways to do extensions and get what they want?

Last edited:
Yes, Mike pls tell it like it is...Z.

You comin' to Evo? FT10 for redefining "BnB" to mean what it really means. :^P
Not going to evo. But I'm sure we'll get another chance to play soon enough.

For me it's "The most damaging combo I can do to every character midscreen the vast majority of the time that I land a c.lk". "BNB" is easier to say.

Isn't a BnB basically a combo you can pull off of most situations with the least risk of failure?

Fine. I'll use "Mah Combo" instead of "BNB".