• As part of the relaunch of Skullheart, ALL previous threads have been archived. You can find them at the bottom of the forum in the Archives (2021) section. The archives are locked, so please use the new forum sections to create new discussion threads.

Skullgirls Team Building Thread

@ClarenceMage

I agree with most/all of that. Ive played against ledds lp shot team... Annoying to say the least and the way he uses his assists makes it like all of his assists are invincible... Strange to have lp shot/filia cr.mk breaking pressure the way he does... But also get stupid amounts of happy birthdays against him so it balances out.

Yeah that team may be better than with pillar. Idk the jury is still out for me... Its probably matchup specific more than anything else. I know that pw has a much easier time against lp shot than against pillar.... As an example.... But parasoul has a harder time against shot, as can double. Those conversions you mention for fiber upper are nice. Fortune may really go up in my books at least if people start learning to convert it consistently. The only person i see doing this right now is taluda with painwheel.

Right now I'm trying to figure out the most optimal teams so i can try and begin to breakdown skullgirls into the most optimal teams. The most optimal teams would be a combination of the most all around with the most damage potential. Hard to quantify to say the least since damage potential has so many facets such as counter hit, assist combos, dhc, resets etc etc etc. But i do think that the sg community is getting closer and closer.

Reactions: ClarenceMage
I've been thinking of doing the same thing, hit me up on steam so we can talk real time about it.

Reactions: Dime
So, is big cock good on it's own, or would it be better with a dp assist?

Theoryfighter in me says Headless Fortune benefits from Parasoul's LP or HP Napalm Shot assist.
Sandwich blockstrings plus napalm shot equals nonstop lockdown on the ground?
Dunno how PBGC reversals factor into this, since the napalm shot stays active and could keep Fortune safe?

Cock(Plane)/Band(H Brass)/Bella(Cerecopter) is a gross gross gross gross gross gross gross gross gross gross gross gross gross gross gross gross gross gross team.

Cerecopter, while not invulnerable, is still a fantastic anti-air assist, stays out forever, covers peacocks 45 degree upwards angle, so it lets peacock do her thing better. Band/Bella and therefore Bella/Band once DHC is also super chunky gross big fun whacky smack times. Play that team.

Theoryfighter in me says Headless Fortune benefits from Parasoul's LP or HP Napalm Shot assist.
Sandwich blockstrings plus napalm shot equals nonstop lockdown on the ground?
Dunno how PBGC reversals factor into this, since the napalm shot stays active and could keep Fortune safe?

PBGC reversal factors into it by giving you a reversal to the face. The upside to headless fortune is that if you have a sandwhich, you can deal with that safely by doing block and 5HP to make them block cat head after their pushblock period ends, so if they reversal you block and punish, if they do anything else they have to deal with a cat head.

L Shot shows its merit more when it comes to randomly hitting assists and discouraging players from doing anything while a shot is on them. It could help with PBGC Reversal in theory but that would require some very specific timing on both you and your opponent's side.

I've been playing this team with Squigly. It works pretty well. Drag n Bite assist gives you a lot more mixup/reset options for both Peacock and Big Band. Opera is a really good DHC both from and to Super Sonic Jazz (gives you a full combo regardless of which character did the first super). Squigly is also the only character other than Peacock who can convert off Brass Knuckles midscreen from full screen (just sing xx opera, doesn't even need to be level 2 sing). What I really like is that if Peacock dies in the corner you have a lot of options to get out and reverse the momentum (Opera DHC to Super Sonic Jazz, alpha counter to Big Band then cancel to Super Sonic Jazz (if you have another bar you can DHC to Squigly to be safe on block or get a full combo), double jump then divekick, beat them air to air with Squigly j.LK, etc)

The obvious drawbacks with this team are
-It's difficult to get Peacock out safely if she gets low on health (DHCs from Peacock to Squigly aren't great + Squigly's tag sucks)
-Squigly and Peacock don't have invincible or armored assists, so if Big Band dies first, you're boned
-You're playing Squigly

Other than that, though, I think it's a good team.

L Shot shows its merit more when it comes to randomly hitting assists and discouraging players from doing anything while a shot is on them. It could help with PBGC Reversal in theory but that would require some very specific timing on both you and your opponent's side.

Alright, I'll check how LP shot works with sandwich scenarios but I'm still wormy about Parasoul in general and any of her non-Pillar assists.

I've been using Squigly (Silver Chord), Peacock (Cannonball or L George, can't decide), and Filia (H Updo). What's a better arrangement for this team? I'm reading that Squigly should be second or third but I don't want to put Peacock in first unless I really should, and not having the Updo assist really hurts me when I play Squigly last.

I've been using Squigly (Silver Chord), Peacock (Cannonball or L George, can't decide), and Filia (H Updo). What's a better arrangement for this team? I'm reading that Squigly should be second or third but I don't want to put Peacock in first unless I really should, and not having the Updo assist really hurts me when I play Squigly last.
This is probably the best order for this team actually. I do like Squigly second but I like the Peacock/Filia shell more.

I'm liking the looks of Parasoul/Fukua/Double with pillar/m.clone/lk butt as the assists.

you can hitconfirm a full parasoul combo from m.clone assist, i've heard (but haven't seen/discovered for myself yet) that you can do similar almost fullscreen with double. Fukua spends meter a lot better than parasoul and benefits greatly from the pillar and butt.

only thing i'm not sure about is the matchup vs. peacock keepaway teams. need to play some matches vs. that and see if there's anything i can do. Might just be scared from watching mcpeanuts' stream last night though lol

I'm considering picking up Squigly again and i'm probably going to play her point with secondary parasoul and anchor big band
Suggestions for assists? I primarily use L beat extend with point parasoul but i dont want to run two DP assists... so which should i trade out for something else? suggestions?

I'm thinking of playing Parasoul/Double/Big Band (with lp beat extend). What would be a better order for this team - Double anchor or Big Band anchor?

I'm thinking of playing Parasoul/Double/Big Band (with lp beat extend). What would be a better order for this team - Double anchor or Big Band anchor?
It's a bit difficult to say, I would probably run it

BB/Parasoul/Double

This way you get assists Big Band (who also has a pretty decent round start game) who can safe DHC out if needed for 2 meters. He will have a DP assist and a lockdown assist so he's pretty set. Parasoul absolutely LOVES butt assist so she's pretty solid with her own tools + butt and she can DHC safely into Double if you want. Double is the best anchor easily out of the 3 characters.

Parasoul/Big Band/Double is legit too.
Parasoul can be reasonably safe in a lot of situations herself so this will give you a very front loaded team. Big Band might be hurting a little without one of his favourite assists though.

Currently playing Fukua/Squigly. Would Painwheel be a better anchor then Cerebella?

Currently playing Fukua/Squigly. Would Painwheel be a better anchor then Cerebella?
nnnnooooo nonono

Fukua/Squigly/Cerebella is actually a good team.

Fukua/Squigly/Painwheel? ew

Ya, just kinda green with Cerebella was just thinking of Painwheel since I have time on here. I'll just stick it out

Just a general question here, but I've recently picked up SG and actually like Squiggly. I play Viper in SF so she feels familiar with the feints/stancels, but the question is whose a better partner for her and opinions on why. I've been seeing Bella as one of the top characters overall so I'm not opposed to her. I know a little Valentine and Fillia, nothing more than a basic BnB respectively to each. As far as no's go, I think Peacock, Parasoul, and Double are on that list. I'd love some help from any of you here.

A lot of people play squig with Big Band, they have strong synergy.

with the chars you mentioned:
-squig+bella works
-val+filia+squig works

A lot of people play squig with Big Band, they have strong synergy.

with the chars you mentioned:
-squig+bella works
-val+filia+squig works
So with Squig + Bella what exactly makes them work well together and with the second 3 team option you mentioned is that also saying Val+Filia make a great duo?

yea, val+filia is a common duo.
Although its better with 3. Val+H Updo +Drag 'n' bite is nice

Squig+Bella have good assist/dhc synergy. You can do stuff like Dynamo->SBO-> Silver chord-> full combo

I suppose, but with 3chars the HP seems really low and I like enjoying it as much as possible without it resembling marvel with the 1-touch death combos. I know Ms. Fortune is OP as a Solo. I'll try fooling around with the two once I get home to try them out. Bella is a grappler which usually turns me away though.

if you want a lockdown on squigs i ran c.HP when i had her on my team. doesn't push them back as much as drag n bite. drag n bite controls space a bit better though

they're both viable, just depends on preference and the needs of your team

I suppose, but with 3chars the HP seems really low and I like enjoying it as much as possible without it resembling marvel with the 1-touch death combos. I know Ms. Fortune is OP as a Solo. I'll try fooling around with the two once I get home to try them out. Bella is a grappler which usually turns me away though.
Teams of 3 are the best in the game, they actually have the largest health pool overall and have the ability to regenerate more health ON TOP of having more options than any other ratio.

Fortune isn't OP as a solo. She is just the only character anything even remotely close to viable as solo, she still functions best on a team of 3, like every character in the game.

Playing a team of 2 is a pretty good way to get used to assists and the other team mechanics without having to learn multiple characters straight away, though.

Squigly likes any assist that lets her get charges for her stances.

I'd say her 2 favourite assists are:

1) Big Band HP Brass Knuckles
The best because it functions as a get off me, gives Squigly ridiculous space control if she calls it then jumps with j.HP and you can even convert off it midscreen if you are quick with sing or perhaps silver chord. It causes a sliding knockdown which gives you free reign to do anything you want (ie. charge)

2) Cerebella Cerecopter
This assist is not at all a get off me, but it serves a dual function as well, it covers a lot of space, hits vertically which is important in an assist and locks the opponent down for ages. This allows you to back off and charge stance or go in and go for a mixup at the end of it.

Squigly likes to be 2nd on a team, so I'd suggest either:

xx/Squigly/Big Band
xx/Squigly/Cerebella

I think both of these shells work about equally well, the first is a better setup for Squigly, but Big Band leaves a lot to be desired as an anchor, while Bella isn't fantastic, but she can hold her own in most matchups as anchor.

Teams of 3 are the best in the game, they actually have the largest health pool overall and have the ability to regenerate more health ON TOP of having more options than any other ratio.
Could you think of any examples where the damage output on a team of two would counteract placing a third character in there, or is three always the best option no matter what?

Could you think of any examples where the damage output on a team of two would counteract placing a third character in there, or is three always the best option no matter what?

No, 3 is better

it just seems like a 3-team has lower health because if you make a bad assist call, you can die very fast. Which is true but thats an important part of the game to learn. playing trio is more risky than solo or duo.

There's a lot of situations in 2v3 where I need two resets, as opposed to one, to kill off a character. Might as well just take an extra character and two resets everytime.

This isn't universally true, however. There are setups and characters that circumvent this for little or no meter.

playing trio is more risky [..] duo.
I don't even feel that way.
- Getting Doublesnapped: Match lost in Duo, still doable in Trio
- Main assist took a lotta damage, then point dies: Match lost in Duo, in Trio your 2nd comes in and your main assist has some time to regen life
- Running into a bad matchup? 50% better chance of switched team order saving you the game, and you're able to 'protect' the important character by not calling it as assist.
- More versatile assist choices (due to there being two of them) meaning you will be able to handle most game situations better, getting hit less and hitting them more
Etc

Duo just seems pretty crap. Duo has the Team downsides in worse fashion than Trio, while not really feeling like "oh shit if I get touched I'm dead" as it's the case with Solo.
The one thing Duo feels good at is getting people to play overly impatient because chip and assist punishes add up, but that limits the 'strong' Duo teams to some Peacock and some Fukua ones *IMO*.

Reactions: -ÆON-
Duo is good as in it lets you transition from solo to trio when you learn the game imo.

Parasoul and Big Band - do these two have good synergy? Workable synergy? "Just build around one or the other" synergy?

And say I'm looking for a third to complement the two - who should it be? (Inb4 Double, though it's fine if that's the answer.)

Honestly you can throw three darts at the char select and you will have a good team*. Yeah, Para/BBand is nice.

*Okay, it depends on how good you are at throwing darts. If you TRY TO, you can get a bad one, but it's pretty hard.

Oh yeah, 3rd. Any. Literally. Squigly is always nice with Parasoul and the best partner for Bigband, so I'd recommend trying her (PS/SQG/BB), but yeah you can run anything.

Parasoul and Big Band - do these two have good synergy? Workable synergy? "Just build around one or the other" synergy?

And say I'm looking for a third to complement the two - who should it be? (Inb4 Double, though it's fine if that's the answer.)

Some type of lock-down assist. If you don't want Double LK Butt, you can go Hairball, Cerecopter or one of Squiggly's. Although you may have to re-order you team to take advantage of the new assist and DHC options. Double LK Butt would give you both a DP and lock-down assist though, allowing you to choose a different assist for Parasol (H Napalm Shot is pretty good with Band) or Band.

If you're doing Duo, I would go Band/Parasol with Pillar and HP Brass. Band first, Parasol second for the DHC to Bikes or Level 3 where necessary (SSJ -> Bikes as a reversal or to melt a bad assist call). You just have to be even more careful with your assist than a trio, since if your assist dies or takes heavy damage, then you have to play a gimped solo.

Last edited:
How do these sound:

• My Main Team : Filia (H Updo)/ Big Band (H Beat Extend or H Giant Step, mostly Beat Extend)
  • Squigly (cr.hp)/ Filia (H Updo)
  • Peacock (s.HP)/ Filia (H Updo)/ Big Band (Beat Extend)
  • Peacock (s.HP)/ Big Band (Brass Knuckles)
Notes:
  • I never use :FIL: or :SQG:on anchor, ever. Only Point or Second.
  • Almost always use :BIG: on anchor, with few exceptions.
  • I usually do not switch out, I mostly just let the point character die.

Do you run all of these? Are you asking which of them is the best? Or do you want advice on all of them? Or uh?

First team I'd run with L. instead of H. Beat Extend. Don't run Giant Step.
3rd Team Brass Knuckles instead of Beat Extend. You already got Updo, you don't need two DPs.

3rd team looks best to me if alone because it's a Trio

Now you wrote those Notes but aren't explaining them either. Is this a "Are these Notes okay or should I change something about it"? Or "I am deadset on these Notes and won't accept if you tell me to run Filia 3rd"?
"I never use Filia on anchor ever". Okay. What if someone lands a hit on your Filia and then snaps her out? Do you drop the stick? You get hit by two Bella 360s and sit on 80% Red Life, and then don't DHC/Tag? WHY?

How do these sound:
  • Peacock (s.HP)/ Filia (H Updo)/ Big Band (Beat Extend)

• This team, but switch s.HP with one of the George projectiles.
  • Switch either Updo with Hairball or Beat Extend with Brass Knuckles. You don't need two DP assists.
  • Learn how to play all of your characters in each position. You may like your team setup in a certain way, but if I snap one of your characters then you have to play with a new order. If you can't do that, you could lose the match right there.
  • Also, if you just let the point die instead of tagging out, you set yourself up for incoming mix-ups/loss of red health/etc. when you could have done something about it.

So with Squig + Bella what exactly makes them work well together and with the second 3 team option you mentioned is that also saying Val+Filia make a great duo?

great DHC options including full combos from ultimate showstopper by using lk+hk SBO. cerecopter great to allow squigs to mixup opp, bella st.HK assist hitting overhead would be crazy good for squigs too. squigs def benefits from an invincible assist though.

Hey everyone, just picking the game up. I know I want Parasoul on point, but I am having difficulties coming up with the rest of my team. Other characters I am interested in are fukua and big band, maybe cerebella. With parasoul I know I am going to get suggestions to pick double for hornet bomber and if need be I will check double out, but she is not first choice. Can I have some ideas for both duos and trios with these characters, or will it just not work out? I was thinking parasoul with dp (I read fukua has bad reversals I think) and then fukua with drill for lockdown to set parasoul up, but I am afraid of making these decisions on my own since I am so new. I expect to eventually move to a trio but I have never played a game with assists before so I may want to ease the transition.

EDIT: Also willing to try out squigly

Last edited:
Parasoul (Pillar) / BBand (H.Brass)
Parasoul (Pillar) / Fukua (H.Drill)
Parasoul (Pillar) / Bella (H.LnL)
Are all nicely playable, pretty straightforward teams.
Squigly is not a very good anchor, so either run it as Squigly/Parasoul, or add a third eg Parasoul/Squigly/BBand.

Double is not necessary for Parasoul at all.
They synergize nicely (Double has good synergy with every character~), but you are perfectly fine without her.

Honestly, .. it doesn't really matter what you pick as you're just starting out.
Just select some characters you think are cool-looking, play around with them to see whether you actually like their general gameplan/movement/options/etc,
and when you have found three+ characters you genuinely enjoy playing you can still worry about whether they can form a strong team - and if yes, in which order and with what assists you should play them.
It is *VERY* likely that you will find a strong team composition with the characters you picked, as most chars can fill several different roles and the game's balance is very strong.

There's also absolutely no problem with picking suboptimal assists or whatever atm - it's not like you're locked in your first assist choice for life. If it turns out to suck, .. switch.

Just have fun ^_^

Reactions: TY Soapboxfan