• As part of the relaunch of Skullheart, ALL previous threads have been archived. You can find them at the bottom of the forum in the Archives (2021) section. The archives are locked, so please use the new forum sections to create new discussion threads.

Skullgirls Team Building Thread

Yeah, I didn’t even read yours correctly. Was thinking it was just making a whiffed tag safe for some reason.

Uh.. I’m gonna try going back not commenting on characters I don’t really play...

Wonder if anyone would be able to give me some advice on the pros and cons of a couple teams I'm thinking of (and some recommendations for assist choices). I want to add a third character to my team and I'm wondering whether to go for Ms. Fortune or Double so I want some advice before I commit to either character.

My current team is Val (cr.MK)/Bella (lock n' load H)
The teams I've been thinking of are:

Val (cr.MK)/Ms. Fortune (Fiber Upper H)/Bella (Cerecopter or LnL H) So with this team I have a strong reversal with Ms. Fortune which is good for alpha counters and dealing with pressure. Cerecopter also benefits both Val and Ms. Fortune as it helps with their pressure. I think the team might be a bit weak to zoning though and I wonder if it will exacerbate the problem I currently have in that I often finish a match with a lot of extra meter and other than using Feral Edge as an aerial reversal with MF, I don't see many opportunities to make use of that extra meter. MF is also a difficult character to learn and playing her headless is very different from anything I've done before (plus I have to learn head on and headless combos which is a lot to remember).

Val (cr.MK)/Bella (?? maybe Devil horns?)/Double (Hornet bomber M). Double has great synergy with Val and Hornet bomber is both useful in combos and also for approaches (and I've been finding approaching with Bella somewhat limited ATM so this'll help her as well). Double also has some OK zoning capabilities and some decent anti-zoning stuff (and she provides a safe DHC) while also having some (I'd guess) pretty good anchor potential with bar because of cat heads. My only real concern here is a reversal assist for Val. Val doesn't have good reversals without meter and nothing from Bella really stood out as great for dealing with pressure. LnL obviously has armour but it doesn't cover much aerial space, it has quite a bit of startup and is somewhat difficult to combo off of. DH covers huge aerial space and is invincible but very little horizontal coverage though it gives plenty of time to convert and doesn't send the opponent flying away. Anti-air grab seems quite situational, pretty bad for alpha counters (the previous two would be quite good here I imagine) but is good as an anti-air (which Val, or at least me, struggles with), is great for combos in the corner and gives plenty of time to get ready to combo. Cerecopter might be ok here perhaps? It doesn't strike me as being a very good reversal and as far as pressure goes, hornet bomber has that covered I think. This team, other than Val, seems pretty flexible as well and could cope with being played out of order I think as Bella is still a very strong anchor though Double and Bella seem a bit weak on incoming (no air supers or reversals that I know of but they both have double jumps).

Any input would be appreciated.

You might as well use

Val double bella

With c.mk/m bomber/and h lnl

If you need a dp assist then use l bomber and you're fine.

M bomber allows you to load two poison vials for the damage. Although lnl does that as well so that point is moot. Fiber upper would only be a gtfo assist. While l bomber gives you some chance to convert but is not as good as updo or pillar. If you were to learn fortune then.

Fortune val bella

Fiber upper/c.mk/h lnl.

Fortune is a very strong battery and gives val lots of meter and val herself can gain a decent amount of meter for bella.

The main problem is that you got a good horizontal assist but a vertical assist doesnt really cut it because even if they get hit. Its not a fatal due to no conversion

Reactions: Lex
M bomber allows you to load two poison vials for the damage. Although lnl does that as well so that point is moot.

What? Are you sure you don't mean copter?

Also for what it's worth Val is one of the characters that is good at converting off of fiber.

if you want to play val, bella, and double then the excellabella team is always an option. Sage has been playing with it a bunch recently, basically you have val point, bella 2nd with excellabella assist, and double anchor with bomber (I don't remember which type, maybe M?). Double assist is your assist for neutral game, and excellabella lets you get 2 vials midcombo for free making your combos do a LOT more damage especially against solos/duos because poison damage is not affected by ratios (in fact because it's %hp it does MORE damage against a solo/duo than it would vs another trio)

e: the other benefit with having double as the anchor is because with val's poison and s.hk you can do a great deal of damage and get hard knockdowns both without using any meter, and if double comes in with 5 bars she can TOD vs duo/trio

Reactions: Iphantom and Lex
When it comes to team roles, can someone explain the difference between a point and an anchor to me? As far as I can tell, the point character is the one you have on the stage towards the start because they've got really good moves and can do lots of damage, whereas an anchor character is one you have on the stage at the end as the fallback option... because they've got really good moves and can do lots of damage in a tight spot.

Am I missing something here?

A point character is what you want to start with.

People start with Bella point, filia point, Anybody point.

However the composition comes into play when you're picking 2 or 3 character(obviously). anyone could certainly be anchor, but you have to look at the strengths and weaknesses of the character.

For example. Fortune is mainly a point character. Why?

Her assist is Meh compared to some of the cast.
She has very good mobility and she can do damage.
Most importantly she builds meter like crazy for the rest of her team.
For this reason alone people pick fortune point.

You also have to take into account of the anchor's main purpose.

The anchor must have good comeback potiential.
Can hit hard when the times beckons for it.
Can operate extremely well.

For this reason most people do not pick val ANchor cause she is weak alone and does well with assist. Same goes for Squigly in which she needs meter and charge to be scary.

@Man-In-Crowd-4

A point character is what you want to start with.

People start with Bella point, filia point, Anybody point.

However the composition comes into play when you're picking 2 or 3 character(obviously). anyone could certainly be anchor, but you have to look at the strengths and weaknesses of the character.

For example. Fortune is mainly a point character. Why?

Her assist is Meh compared to some of the cast.
She has very good mobility and she can do damage.
Most importantly she builds meter like crazy for the rest of her team.
For this reason alone people pick fortune point.

You also have to take into account of the anchor's main purpose.

The anchor must have good comeback potiential.
Can hit hard when the times beckons for it.
Can operate extremely well.

For this reason most people do not pick val ANchor cause she is weak alone and does well with assist. Same goes for Squigly in which she needs meter and charge to be scary.

@Man-In-Crowd-4

Fair enough. So basically, it's down to the individual strengths and weaknesses of the character in question. That makes sense. Thank you!

To add a bit to what was already said:

Point characters will sometimes have weak assists but it's not a defining quality. Your point wants to be able to do 2 main things:
-make good use of assists (sometimes to the point of reliance), and
-build meter for the rest of the team.
Point characters will often (but not always) be relatively meter-independent, because the point character starts out with only 1 bar and will often be trying to build meter for the rest of the team, not herself

Anchor is the opposite; doesn't need assists to operate well, and can make good use of the meter the rest of the team has build. Your anchor will also often (but not always) have the strongest assist of your characters because that character will be used as an assist for the most time through the course of the match.

In a duo, your 1st character will fill the role of point and your 2nd will fill the role of anchor. In a trio, however, you have your 2nd character which will generally be a mix of point and anchor; doesn't need as many assists and isn't as reliant on meter, but also can make use of the anchor's assist and gets something more than just extra combo damage off of having meter that the point has built.

Reactions: Dime
Thanks for the advice guys. I think I'll go with Double over Fortune and I'll experiment with some of Bella's assists.

To add a bit to what was already said:

Point characters will sometimes have weak assists but it's not a defining quality. Your point wants to be able to do 2 main things:
-make good use of assists (sometimes to the point of reliance), and
-build meter for the rest of the team.
Point characters will often (but not always) be relatively meter-independent, because the point character starts out with only 1 bar and will often be trying to build meter for the rest of the team, not herself

Anchor is the opposite; doesn't need assists to operate well, and can make good use of the meter the rest of the team has build. Your anchor will also often (but not always) have the strongest assist of your characters because that character will be used as an assist for the most time through the course of the match.

In a duo, your 1st character will fill the role of point and your 2nd will fill the role of anchor. In a trio, however, you have your 2nd character which will generally be a mix of point and anchor; doesn't need as many assists and isn't as reliant on meter, but also can make use of the anchor's assist and gets something more than just extra combo damage off of having meter that the point has built.

Thank you very much. All nice and clear now.

What's a good place to put Beowulf? Also which characters "get along" *gameplay wise* with him? , is he better as point, mid or anchor? *Also recommended assists* Thanks in advance

Came all the way from Dustloop now that I'm playing this game again. Any thoughts on my current team?

In order:
Valentine (not sure which assist, looking for input)
Painwheel (cr.mk for lockdown)
Parasoul (Pillar)

Val is easily my strongest character, and this team is built around giving her the backup she needs. Any ideas as to how well this would work out? Thanks in advance

Came all the way from Dustloop now that I'm playing this game again. Any thoughts on my current team?

In order:
Valentine (not sure which assist, looking for input)
Painwheel (cr.mk for lockdown)
Parasoul (Pillar)

Val is easily my strongest character, and this team is built around giving her the backup she needs. Any ideas as to how well this would work out? Thanks in advance
Valentine should probably use cMK.
It's a simple two hit low that gives Painwheel and Parasoul something to call while flying/jumping respectively to trick people into blocking high while it opens them up.
It also lets Painwheel do some really ambiguous mix up with jHK + cMK assist.

Also, Painwheels assist should be cMP not cMK, that was probably just a typo though. (cMK is a single hit low.)

Parasouls assist can be Pillar for a DP or L Shot.
L Shot is getting really popular, and it's really awesome for those two with their great neutral.
Running or flying along side an L Shot projectile REALLY removes the opponents options of stuffing your approach.

Also glad to have you back again!
Feel free to post any one liner questions here if you forgot anything.

Valentine should probably use cMK.
It's a simple two hit low that gives Painwheel and Parasoul something to call while flying/jumping respectively to trick people into blocking high while it opens them up.
It also lets Painwheel do some really ambiguous mix up with jHK + cMK assist.

Also, Painwheels assist should be cMP not cMK, that was probably just a typo though. (cMK is a single hit low.)

Parasouls assist can be Pillar for a DP but also L Shot.
L Shot is getting really popular, and it's really awesome for those two with their great neutral.
Running or flying along side an L Shot projectile REALLY removes the opponents options of stuffing your approach.

Also glad to have you back again!
Feel free to post any one liner questions here if you forgot anything.

I immediately realized that I accidentally typed cr.Mk instead of mP. I knew that would stick out like a sore thumb :P thanks for the quick reply, it's good to know that this team can work. I was initially cautious of putting Val and PW on the same team.

As of about a week ago, I've been running, in order:

• Val with Savage Bypass H. I'll find a use for that assist eventually, maybe some kind of combo extension? She's point so I don't think her assist matters. Main purpose is just meter building and being spooky scary with grabs. Seriously, I can drop my combo virtually anywhere and grab. It's insane.
  • Filia with Hairball H. If I grab them in the corner, Hairball H during s.MP's multiple hits nabs me a bit more damage. Also functions as okay keepaway if I'm loading vials. Main purpose: If Val's running low on health, I'll tag in Filia and show people just why Airball is a move to be feared.
  • Eliza with Horus. Overhead assist is great for sudden "WHAM I GOTCHA" hits, and if I'm not in the corner I'll use Horus instead of Hairball for extra grab damage. Main purpose: "THE LADY OF SLAUGHTER! AXE! BUTCHERY! AXE! BUTAH!" Sekhmet's downright terrifying to fight, in my opinion. Also in case of emergency zoning, that bench makes for good ground control.
Any suggestions? I get the feeling Savage Bypass H is the wrong thing to use for Val, and I feel like maybe I should use someone else instead of Filia, but I dunno, I'm not an expert.

yeah i'd go H updo and H osiris spiral.

because with Val in the corner, you can do sHK x2 + H osiris assist, load vial, and continue the combo

For Val, cr.MK would probably be good as an assist as it is a multi-hit low and both your other characters have great overheads.

H updo would cover Val's poor reversals and anti-airs so you should definitely go for that (plus it is good for alpha counters).

Osiris spiral allows for mid combo vial loads, great mixups and has hyper armour making it good for alpha counters and as a reversal (it basically does everything hair all does but better IMO).

Both your other characters have great overheads.
Filia has overheads besides her air normals/specials?

H updo would cover Val's poor reversals and anti-airs so you should definitely go for that (plus it is good for alpha counters).
I'm sorry, but what's an alpha counter? I don't think this was ever explained in the tutorial.

Osiris spiral allows for mid combo vial loads, great mixups and has hyper armour making it good for alpha counters and as a reversal (it basically does everything hair all does but better IMO).
Hmm. I'll definitely try that out.

Filia has overheads besides her air normals/specials?
I was talking about her air normals, Filia has some great instant overheads and cross-ups using her air dash and normals.

I'm sorry, but what's an alpha counter? I don't think this was ever explained in the tutorial.
I'm pretty sure it was in the tutorial but it will have had a different name (forgotten what it's actual name is). It's where you press tag and forward while blocking and your character will tag in by doing their assist move. You want invincible/armoured moves for alpha countering usually (it does cost 1 bar though).

quick correction

Osiris spiral allows for mid combo vial loads, great mixups and has hyper armour

Spiral does not have hyper armor, it's not a sekhmet move. Butcher's Blade is also a lockdown assist Eliza has that has hyper armor and covers more horizontal space, at the cost of being slower (so not quite as useful for mixups) and costing meter to call the assist (since it would be a sekhmet move). Osiris spiral is still a very solid assist though that I would certainly recommend to your team.

E: also even if you DO use Butcher's Blade (again, the armored one) it doesn't actually make that good of a reversal/alpha counter because Eliza has a lot of vulnerable startup frames before Sekhmet comes out.

Last edited:
Ah, I got the two moves confused then.

I primarily play Parasoul/Double but lately I've been wanting to switch Double since I can't use her very well (though the assist and DHC are friggin godsends). The problem is I don't know who to switch her with. Fukua and Robo-Fortune are my top 2 candidates for the position but I'm open to making a trio, too. How would you guys order them if you play them as a duo or trio? (I prefer Parasoul on point but other suggestions are very welcome!)

I primarily play Parasoul/Double but lately I've been wanting to switch Double since I can't use her very well (though the assist and DHC are friggin godsends). The problem is I don't know who to switch her with. Fukua and Robo-Fortune are my top 2 candidates for the position but I'm open to making a trio, too. How would you guys order them if you play them as a duo or trio? (I prefer Parasoul on point but other suggestions are very welcome!)
I mean it kind of depends. How do you generally use Double Assist? If you use it for lockdown or as a neutral assist you could probably do the same kind of thing with Fukua H Drill assist; Robo's H Beam is probably also decent for that. If you like to downback and call Hornet Bomber while you're being attacked, neither Fukua nor Robo really have an assist that will do that for you.

Since you mentioned DHCs I should also say that if you still want a safe DHC you probably want Fukua after Parasoul. Although maybe Sniper DHC Magnet is safe too I don't actually know. Maybe it combos if the sniper shot hits while the opponent is in the air??? That would be funny.

Yeah I mostly use Double assist for lockdown and neutral, only in some cases do I just hold down+back and mash assist like a nub.

Also I tested that Sniper into Magnet DHC just now, it DOES connect but only when really near. I just dunno if it's safe or not, although Magnet does end fast if you release it immediately.

I'm thinking Parasoul(Pillar)/Robo-Fortune(H Beam)/Fukua(L Fireball OR H Drill) would do good.

Yeah I mostly use Double assist for lockdown and neutral, only in some cases do I just hold down+back and mash assist like a nub.

Also I tested that Sniper into Magnet DHC just now, it DOES connect but only when really near. I just dunno if it's safe or not, although Magnet does end fast if you release it immediately.

I'm thinking Parasoul(Pillar)/Robo-Fortune(H Beam)/Fukua(L Fireball OR H Drill) would do good.
If you play a duo I think either H Beam or H Drill are fine assists. If you're playing all 3 characters in a trio though, Beam and Drill sort of overlap in functionality. They don't do the exact same thing since Beam reaches full screen and Drill hits crouching etc etc etc but they're both horizontal assists you use to make the opponent stop pushing buttons for a while. If you're using all 3 I'd use a horizontal assist for one of them and maybe a setup assist for the other (something like landmine assist if it's Robo or H Shadow if it's Fukua).

if its duo with that team then robo(h beam or landmine) with fukua's H drill.

IF its trio and you want parasoul then you can choose the following.
Robo(H beam or mines though i prefer mines for a few reasons)/Fukua(M shadow)/ Parasoul(pillar)

M shadow combined with Robo ground dash covers your neutral space adequetely. pillar you can use as a DP assist if people get too antsy

If you want a para duo then

Para(L shot)/ Fukua(H drill)

Why my team is dumb baloney.
So if you do one of these crossunder setups with H Chair assist, can you convert if the chair hits? I see that it hits at 0:38 and you convert, but I'm not sure if that's the exact same setup as the ones before it.

So if you do one of these crossunder setups with H Chair assist, can you convert if the chair hits? I see that it hits at 0:38 and you convert, but I'm not sure if that's the exact same setup as the ones before it.

Already answered you, but for everyone else...

"Si."

Reactions: mcpeanuts
I'm trying to figure something out. So, Big Band with a low hitting assist is probably really annoying to fight against. It would give him safe high/lows off his hard knockdowns (unless they have a reversal you can't safe jump, but the low option would still be safe there). Also would give him better mixups off blockstrings. The problem is I can't decide what the best low assist for this would be. They all have strengths and weaknesses. I wanted to see if I could get some opinions.

This is what I've considered so far:

Filia c.MK
Pros: Also good for lockdown, maybe can make some things safe?
Cons: Any combo you get off it will be super scaled

Double Cilia Slide
Pros: Breaks armor, doesn't scale too much, can be used from max range of Giant Step which gives you even more mixup options
Cons: Doesn't cause much blockstun

Fukua L Shadow
Pros: Breaks armor, disjointed, hits from far away, doesn't scale too bad
Cons: Not much blockstun, hard to convert off maybe? I haven't tried it

Beowulf L Chair
Pros/Cons: Same as Fukua L Shadow

Squigly c.HP
Pros: Causes a lot of blockstun
Cons: Scales really bad

Eliza c.MK
Pros: 2 hits, so provides some lockdown without scaling your combo too bad.
Cons: Causes blue bounce knockdown if you don't immediately combo off it, might be weird to convert off of

Valentine c.MK
Pros: Only 2 hits, decent amount of blockstun, leaves them standing
Cons: idk. Maybe this is the best one?

don't forget:

Robo Fortune c.MK

Pros: breaks armor, active for days, doesn't scale much
Cons: blue bounce if you don't immediately combo, I don't think you can use it to make things safe (maybe?)

don't forget:

Robo Fortune c.MK

Pros: breaks armor, active for days, doesn't scale much
Cons: blue bounce if you don't immediately combo, I don't think you can use it to make things safe (maybe?)
I thought about that but decided to leave it off the list, since if I was going to consider that I'd use Eliza c.MK instead.

I need a 3rd character as anchor for peacock/painwheel I've gotten suggestions such as BigBand H Brass and Beowulf H chair chuck but like what about pillar and shot or bomber(don't know the difference in versions except height) Updo(anchor Filia?) H Bypass(no)