• As part of the relaunch of Skullheart, ALL previous threads have been archived. You can find them at the bottom of the forum in the Archives (2021) section. The archives are locked, so please use the new forum sections to create new discussion threads.

Speedrunning SG

dragonos451

Combo crafting is fun
Reaction score
Steam
dragonos451
Cerebella
I always enjoyed mashing an AI's face, and I got plenty of opportunities to do so when playing skullgirls while nobody else is.
I was starting to find techs and stuff, but always did it just to spend some time while waiting for people to connect on SG.
But now, @FunkyHellboy just posted some speedrun vids on YT, so if I'm not alone willing to do that sort of stuff, why not creating a thread where we can discuss that?

This thread will be for people who wants to show off their awesome anti-AI techs, their ability to break the game and deal damage as fast as possible, or for those who just want to discuss about speedrunning SG.
Obviously, if you want to submit a time, you need to post the video to prove it. It would be awesome too if you could write down some explanations about the techs you used, your general go-to strats, etc...
Don't forget to write the name of the speedrun category (mode, difficulty, characters used) and the achieved time so we can keep track easier.

Regarding speedrun format :
• time starts when you finish selecting your character/team.
• Time is REAL TIME (?) (Subject to change): win poses, round start poses and loading screens all count in the duration of the speedrun.
• Time ends at the precise moment Marie dies --> "down" sound effect + "that's a wrap" appearing on screen.

speedrun categories :
• Story mode : No RNG on which chars you end up against, so each character starting choice goes into its own category as every character doesn't even have to go through the same number of fights
-sleepwalk difficulty : big fast damage is key here
-nightmare difficulty : you better know how to abuse the AI !
• arcade mode : heavily RNG-dependant, different categories for different team sizes and different point characters/solo chars
-sleepwalk difficulty
-nightmare difficulty

And a new one : All story mode!
Complete all story modes in a row.
Order is either free, or you can get bonus style points if you follow the order given by the official SG website, with filia and cerebella first, and squigly/BB last.

best times nowadays (updated) :
I ) Story mode
a) sleepwalk difficulty
• Filia : 2 min 51 sec by @GN4RK

• Double : 4 min 15 sec by @FunkyHellboy

• cerebella : 3 min 04 sec by @dragonos451

• parasoul :
• valentine :
• Ms Fortune :
• Peacock :
• Painwheel :
• Squigly :
• Big Band :
• Fukua :

b) nightmare difficulty
• Cerebella : 3 min 16 sec 50 by @dragonos451
• ...nobody else? NONSENSE!

II ) Arcade Mode :
a) sleepwalk difficulty
• Best time for solos : 5 min 48 sec using fukua by @FunkyHellboy
• best time for duos : 7 min 50 sec by @6-Let using Big Band with Cerebella

b) nightmare difficulty
• Best time for solos : 7 min 34 with solo cerebella by @dragonos451
• any other solo big time? Doesn't matter if it isn't as good, not every char is a cerebella!

• Best time for duos : 12 min 28 sec (according to video, as final split was triggered late)
using Big Band with cerebella by @FunkyHellboy
• Any other duo? Come on, you know you want this!

• trios? anyone got stupid techs or want to struggle unneccessarily against Marie?
I would completely respect that!

III) Complete story mode : gonna need some hard work before seeing anything pop here
Join us and get your name on the list !

PS : Funkyhellboy and I are both currently working on other stuff right now, and the computer I will use for the entire summer has too long loading screens for SR anyway, so this thread may look pretty dead for the next few...weeks? Month? I plan to get on it again after summer worst case scenario (should get a new PC), but feel free to have a go if you think you can have fun with that!

Last edited:
Alright some strats for Sleepwalk story mode
Double
  • Get the cpu into the corner as fast as possible with a hp (titan knuckle)
  • then launch them and do air (lk), air (mk), (air hk)
  • Continue to jump and do air (hk) untill they are dead.
  • For Marie
  • On her first stage do air (hp) or (mp), into air (Hk)
  • Second stage just do hp (Titan knuckle) and the car super
  • Third stage repeat what the first stage does
Filia
  • Sadly Filia has nothing REALLY exploitable but this is what I found (nothing is 100% the best thing)
  • You can hold up and foward and mash air (hk) - You should get them into a corner for this to work at its best.
  • Get the eniemy into the corner and launch, into air (Hp), air dash, air (Hp) -Repeat this untill death
  • Fro Marie just Mash air (hp), and air (hk), into supers

Also rule of thumb
If you are doing splits on your run
Do your split between matches when the screen is completely dark
this does NOT apply to Marie whom you split the moment of death.

Here are some splits to help organize you

Double Story
  • Match 1 Filia
  • Match 2 Cerebella
  • Match 3 Peacock Rival (Rival is when a cut-scene happens for that character)
  • Match 4 Parasoul
  • Match 5 Ms. Fortune
  • Match 6 Painwheel
  • Match 7 Valentine
  • Marie
Filia Story
  • Match 1 Parasoul
  • Match 2 Cerebella
  • Match 3 Painwheel Rival
  • Match 4 Ms. Fortune
  • Match 5 Double Trouble! (Double Trouble means Double AND Valentine....get it?)
  • Marie
Arcade mode
  • Match 1
  • Match 2
  • Match 3
  • Match 4
  • Match 5
  • Match 6
  • Match 7
  • Match 8
  • Marie
Valentine Story
  • Match 1 Peacock
  • Match 2 Parasoul
  • Match 3 Painwheel Rival
  • Match 4 Cerebella
  • Match 5 Ms. Fortune
  • Match 6 Filia
  • Match 7 Double
  • Marie
Cerebella Story
• Filia
• Ms Fortune
• Parasoul
• Valentine/Cerebella
• Double
• Marie

Last edited:
EDIT : putting here my first posted vid + comment, to clear the first post

Recorded just today, first time I record an attempt (first time I could), and ended up with probably one of my best time, despite the really poor play on the first round.

arcade mode nightmare difficulty, cerebella solo : 9 min 14 sec

Alright I think I've struck gold with a new set up for Nightmare Arcade runs
NEW Stream PB:
Though I still mess up at Marie
very interesting, duos may be the fastest way to go. Doesn't change a lot of things against other duos and trios, and may actually make solo encounters quicker (no down pause).

a few advice/ideas :
-maybe consider using mgr as an assist, cerecopter doesn't add much (too much damage reduce, can throw the opponent at the other side of the screen if you fail the conversion). mgr may help kicking filia's butt.
-don't do the taunted version of BB's supers, the damage dealt isn't worth the additional time consumed.
-BB lvl1 DHC bella lvl3 could be good to cheap them out.
-about marie, you can deflect the gigan skull's first hit, guard, pushblock, and pbgc deflect the last hit, doesn't waste time if you miss it
-watch out on marie 3rd phase, when she throws a swarm of little skulls, the first one will ALWAYS fly over your head without hitting you, so don't try to deflect it, you will miss every time. just wait for the second one to go for deflector.

Last edited:
Cerebella strats :
Round start/neutral/midscreen resets :
- filia : simply mgr. At round start, she will either jump, dash forward, hairball or hair spike. Mgr will catch everything except the first one if done as soon as possible. She really rarely stays in place or backdash. On neutral, empty jump diamond drop is valid, then dash mgr on wakeup. After mgr, c.lk c.mk j.mp j.mk mgr, until in the corner.
- ms fortune (need additional testing) : dash c.lk. c.mp c.hp j.mk j.hk c.lk c.mk j.mp j.mk mgr dash c.lk c.mk j.mp j.mk mgr until in the corner. On neutral, high tendency to jump, so don't go for mgr. If c.lk was guarded, c.mp delay titan knuckle. Dash to get the oki, c.lk cancel mgr.
-valentine : instant j.hp on neutral seems the most effective way to catch her off guard. C.lk is often guarded and mgr jumped most of the time on neutral. J.hp covers everything, she often fails to guard it, and if done air to air will ensure you corner carry + mgr oki (works consistently, only neutral is a problem). When mgr connects, go for the same as previous characters until in the corner.
- peacock : chicken block until you get a j.lk opportunity. Then...well, any reset that doesn't leave her on the ground for too long will work, so you can mgr, c.mk run stop resets...until she is in the corner.
- parasoul : at round start, super jump j.hk or c.mp kara cancel mgr. Both works well but may fail sometimes depending on what random stuff parasoul decides to do. On neutral, mgr is your best bet. After getting a hit, usual mgr reset until you get to the corner.
- big band : super easy. J.hk, c.mp c.hp j.mp j.hk, j.hk until corner. Always works, never mash, never guard.
- fukua : at round start, block, she really often throw a fireball super. Trying to deflect it isn't worth it. Then, just jump forward and counter the random stuff she does with a j.hk, then usual mgr reset until corner.
- double : chicken block, guard low, do anything to avoid a random luger into swag wagon super. Mgr at the first opportunity. Then usual mgr reset.
- painwheel/cerebella/squigly : those are bitches I still don't really know how to handle on neutral yet. C.lk is useless against everyone of them. Painwheel loves to guard or fly, pure random 50/50. Mgr OS dynamo may be the answer. Cerebella is...totally random, sometimes she will not guard a j.hk, sometimes she will excellebella it (faster startup) or simply block. C.lk is random too. She jumps a lot. Soooo try everything until something works. Squigly...same thing, she's annoying. J.hk is you best bet. For all 3, after you get a hit, usual mgr reset should work.

Additional note on c.mk j.mp j.mk mgr reset : to ensure maximum probability to hit, delay j.mk as much as possible so it hits them after they reach the ground. Too soon and the probability they will jump it doubles.

You probably noticed it seems to work on everyone. That's true, but it is less consistent against cerebella, squigly and fukua. Still seems the best option.

Last edited:
Bella strats part two :
Incoming and corner resets :
• filia/valentine : stay next to the dead body of the char you took down, back up 1 BB body length if the body is right against the corner. when she comes in, do excellebella BUT timing is key : if you do it meaty, she will most likely guard it, too late and you get airball'd or j.mp'd or something. if you do it at the proper distance and at the proper timing, it will work 100%. cancel dynamo to put her in the corner and c.mk s.hk DDrop her until dead. if you're too far from the corner, do it anyway, you'll most likely end up close enough so you can dash mgr her on wake up (no titan knuckle after dynamo or you will be more likely too late)
• painwheel/parasoul/cerebella/squigly(?) : position yourself so she lands right into mgr. should work most of the time, not 100% reliable on cerebella, even less against squigly, but I haven't find anything for her anyway. if it doesn't put her in the corner, dash or walk a tiny bit to be able to combo her (AIs don't ground tech mgr, so timing is way easier than against real players). when in the corner, c.mk s.hk DDrop her to death.
• peacock : battle butt on arrival, then snap back combo. if you aren't close enough to the corner, j.hk should do it instead.
• double : double jump j.hk c.mp c.hp j.mk j.hk, double jump j.hk (do j.hk so she recovers slightly before you hit the button). only way she could "counter" you is by doing cilia slide, that will cross down. try reacting to it with mgr. if in the corner, she will be too far away for anything, just dash, guard and wait for her to move to try another mgr/j.hk.
• BB : double jump j.hk, c.mp c.hp j.mp j.hk j.hk if too far from the corner, instant j.hp if against the corner (not actually sure it's quicker, should time it to check).
• fukua/ms fortune : meaty cerecopter, c.lk c.mp titan knuckle devil horns s.lp diamond drop c.lk c.mp titan knuckle devil horns s.lp diamond drop until dead. Very consistent, but not 100%. At worst, they jump back, you will never get countered.

Last edited:
disregard the wsplit end time, a deflector didn't do as much damage as expected...still though, what a time :

arcade mode, nightmare difficulty, solobella : 8min17sec
got kinda lucky, as no cerebella showed up in the whole run, and squigly, filia, ms fortune and fukua behaved nicely, even though fukua fought back a bit.
All setups and timings were good, just one or two mistakes and some neutral struggle.

sub-8min is officially a possibility :D

just did one try after last upload...
arcade mode, nightmare difficulty, solobella : 7 min 34 sec
sub-7 min MAY be possible.

just did one try after last upload...
arcade mode, nightmare difficulty, solobella : 7 min 34 sec
sub-7 min MAY be possible.
Try using a 2 man team to rid the down time on solo matches see if that gives you a sub 7:25

the thing is being solo makes all other encounters (especially the marie fight) faster, so actually, best times would be done with a solo with enough luck to not run into solos...

Pretty sure Storymode is much better to run than arcade due to lack of random factor and set teams.
Best Fukuas due to Lack of Cutscenes in the middle.

cutscenes doesn't count for anything in the time, you can pass them with start
i'll try story mode some day

Last edited:
isavulpes = story mode expert :p

Pretty sure Storymode is much better to run than arcade due to lack of random factor and set teams.
Best Fukuas due to Lack of Cutscenes in the middle.
Oh no don't worry I have done story mode speed runs

i'll have to work on bella's sleepwalk story mode too...will have to test which combo+reset has the best dps
(funkyhellboy, leave it to me! My only wish is to do bella stuff :p)

I might be interested in doing this for fun someday, when im not working on 1000000 other speed projects.
oh what kind of progresses?

found a corner reset that works 100% against fukua and Fortune!!
combo -> otg c.lk c.mp titan knuckle Devil Horns c.lp diamond drop c.lk c.mp titan knuckle DH and repeat
I now have an incoming setup for every character, as well as a reliable corner reset.
midscreen, c.hp j.mp j.mk merry go rilla works on everyone IF j.mk was done so their feet were already on the ground, else most of them will jump.
I'll try getting at least a sub-4min for story mode nightmare today, PB at 4'04" for now

found a corner reset that works 100% against fukua and Fortune!!
combo -> otg c.lk c.mp titan knuckle Devil Horns c.lp diamond drop c.lk c.mp titan knuckle DH and repeat
I now have an incoming setup for every character, as well as a reliable corner reset.
midscreen, c.hp j.mp j.mk merry go rilla works on everyone IF j.mk was done so their feet were already on the ground, else most of them will jump.
I'll try getting at least a sub-4min for story mode nightmare today, PB at 4'04" for now
Jeez your PB is 4'04.
Well I guessed that this would be something I would have to do
I will start to make more categories!

Jeez your PB is 4'04.
Well I guessed that this would be something I would have to do
I will start to make more categories!
I could simply edit the first post to display the best times, runner names and categories

Oh, and BTW :
Cerebella story mode, nightmare difficulty : 3 min 54 sec
Except if we find new techs for faster reliable damage, I'd say 3 min 40 sec is the theoretical limit.

I could simply edit the first post to display the best times, runner names and categories

Oh, and BTW :
Cerebella story mode, nightmare difficulty : 3 min 54 sec
Except if we find new techs for faster reliable damage, I'd say 3 min 40 sec is the theoretical limit.
Jeez you are having waaaaay too much fun this this aren't ya.
lol
ps: NICE!

NEW CATEGORIES FOR SPEEDRUNNING!
-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Arcade
  1. Team Doubles: Use a team of two
  2. Triple Team: Use a team of three
  3. NEW CHARACTER SPECFIC RUNS
    1. Solo character runs for Arcade mode are now for only that character
    2. Team doubles is Organized by the point character so like this:
      1. Team doubles Filia: with Double
      2. Team doubles Cerebella: with Big Band
      3. Team doubles Double: with Beowulf
    3. Team Triples is Organized the same way but with a / mark
      1. Team doubles Filia: with Double/Fukua
      2. Team doubles Cerebella: with Big Band/Peacock
These are just some ideas for later tell me if ya'll like
  1. Nuzlocke Challenge
    1. You pick 3 characters if one character DIES you can not use that character during any of the later battles for ANYTHING! (Nigtmare difficulty as well)
  2. I'm thinking about streaming a speed-run race between some SG speedrunners for events
  3. I'm also thinking about doing some interviews for my YT channel about speed running the game
Those are just some ideas off the top of my head.
Tell me if you all like!

Jeez you are having waaaaay too much fun this this aren't ya.
lol
ps: NICE!
Unfortunately, me working on this means I'm not working on Devil Horns combos or my SG dumbness vids :(

Talking about fun I'm having with all this nonsense, I found that while I was training for story sleepwalk :
I just love how she disappear without even leaving the skullheart behind, just like if she was just a normal person in a skeleton armor...wait...it means...

The skullheart is a lie! wake up, sheeples!

Last edited:
Reactions: Broseidon Rex
Unfortunately, me working on this means I'm not working on Devil Horns combos or my SG dumbness vids :(

Talking about fun I'm having with all this nonsense, I found that while I was training for story sleepwalk :
The skullheart is a lie!
I don't even know what happened.....I had too much fun having a nostalgia gasm from looking at 1990's -2000's Spiderman Venom.

ps: AHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHH.....ok you win solo bella is the best at speedrunning
now...who is the worst?

NEW CATEGORIES FOR SPEEDRUNNING!
-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Arcade
  1. Team Doubles: Use a team of two
  2. Triple Team: Use a team of three
  3. NEW CHARACTER SPECFIC RUNS
    1. Solo character runs for Arcade mode are now for only that character
    2. Team doubles is Organized by the point character so like this:
      1. Team doubles Filia: with Double
      2. Team doubles Cerebella: with Big Band
      3. Team doubles Double: with Beowulf
    3. Team Triples is Organized the same way but with a / mark
      1. Team doubles Filia: with Double/Fukua
      2. Team doubles Cerebella: with Big Band/Peacock
These are just some ideas for later tell me if ya'll like
  1. Nuzlocke Challenge
    1. You pick 3 characters if one character DIES you can not use that character during any of the later battles for ANYTHING! (Nigtmare difficulty as well)
  2. I'm thinking about streaming a speed-run race between some SG speedrunners for events
  3. I'm also thinking about doing some interviews for my YT channel about speed running the game
Those are just some ideas off the top of my head.
Tell me if you all like!
I'm ok with the fact each solo char has its own category, and counting teams in a different category depending only on the POINT character seems legit.
gonna edit the first post.

about which char is a worst for speedrun...nightmare, i have no idea, sleepwalk, i'd say either painwheel, val or fortune, cause even if they have a way to go for constant hard hitting move reset (jump airdash stuff, or painwheel hitgrab thingy fly cancel), these ways aren't quite as fast as for other characters : run stops and stancels for squigly and bella, BB doesn't even need an explanation, filia's j.hk is quick enough, parasoul can do s.hpx2 tear s.hp repeat, peacock and double can go for j.hk in the corner (actually, peacock could have trouble bringing ennemies there, so maybe she's among the worst too), and fukua can still do something even if her j.hk is completely worthless obviously (#kappa)

PS: about the venom gif, I'm gonna use differents stupid gifs every single session, so prepare yourself for some shit (except if you read the random video/meme/gif thread carefully, then you know them all)

I'm thinking about streaming a speed-run race between some SG speedrunners for events
I'm also thinking about doing some interviews for my YT channel about speed running the game[/SPOILER]
Well if you want to have some choice, that will have to wait ;p

We're still waiting for other courageous runners!

Cerebella story mode, Sleepwalk difficulty : 3 min 04 sec
I tried hard to make a better time, but the theoretical limit is probably 3min 00sec anyway.
And the period between end of win pose and "screen go black" thing seems to be random, like +/- 0,5 sec added/cut down...
I don't like sleepwalk category, I'm done with it.

EDIT : actually I'm gonna make a pause with speedrunning for now, I want those other vids to come out some day.

Checked the time I lost every round, considering how much time i needed to get on their face, possible additionnal counter hits I may get to need less hits to kill, time I wasted stupidly on Marie...so with that particular tech, 3min00 is probably the best possible.

considering the "is that tech optimal or not", I just figured out c.lk c.mp s.hp lnl (lp or mp, don't know yet) may make it faster...
yeah, 4 sec was a bit too ballsy, let's say 2min 50sec. less than that would need mind-blowing tech.

EDIT:tested that out, a bit more rng dependant, especially against fortune and val, but it works well, already got 3min02 with not very good luck. i could probably get 2min55 with it. Darn, now i want to try again...I don't know if i should thank you or hate you.
sorry for being too cocky, I guess...

RE-EDIT: the computer I'll be stuck with for the next few weeks has too long loading times. I'm happy, it gives me a good reason to work on my other sg stuff /o/

Last edited:
I don't think 3 minutes is a real run, I also think it doesn't show off anything of the game really

So I propose!!

The actual run is completing *every* story mode in succession
Imagine if Megaman wasn't run by completing the game, but just by finishing Cutman Stage
.. Pretty weird??

Order I would propose as "6 OG characters in any, then Valentine, then Double (you unlock those in that order), then DLC chars in the order they were released", but "Any Order" is fine too I guess?

Brainstorm some whatever! But yeah I think "Complete one Storymode" is pretty notgood

Reactions: dragonos451
That's a great idea, I have to admit 3min speedruns aren't taken really seriously and a all-story-modes run would be way more interesting (I'm kinda braindead when I'm running).
(Gonna edit the OP)
But for now, I'm kinda lonely and I only know Bella well...sure, I could do the research, eventually I would find the right techs for every character and all the stuff but that would take forever so...

Some help? Please? Somebody? Anybody?

You don't need a lot of skill for that (you see any in my runs except for Marie?), just to know your character abilities well, and have some sense of curiosity to find the tricks.
I'm not asking anyone to commit hard to all this stuff, I'm just asking around to those who fight AIs regularly to tell us here about the strats they use to defeat them, what approach will grant you a hit consistently, what reset/oki works, etc...
And how to beat Nightmare Marie with your character, even though it should go in the "how to beat Marie" thread.
I know most of the community doesn't take AI or Marie fights seriously, but there has to be out there at least one dude per character who knows those things, right?

So if you have any info to help, go ahead and post what you know, so that me or future runners at least have something to work with.

I don't think 3 minutes is a real run, I also think it doesn't show off anything of the game really

So I propose!!

The actual run is completing *every* story mode in succession
Imagine if Megaman wasn't run by completing the game, but just by finishing Cutman Stage
.. Pretty weird??

Order I would propose as "6 OG characters in any, then Valentine, then Double (you unlock those in that order), then DLC chars in the order they were released", but "Any Order" is fine too I guess?

Brainstorm some whatever! But yeah I think "Complete one Storymode" is pretty notgood
well to complete one story mode is extremely hard enough with some characters being god awful add speed running with no abusable tactics. Though yeah good point we actually should have a complete story mode run.

complete story mode sleepwalk:
complete story mode nightmare:
Thwo new categorizes

thank you for the suggestion

Also, I modified the rules :
Loading screens aren't considered anymore in total run time to ensure equality between runners.
If someone wants to calculate the updated times, would be cool, but I guess I'll take some time to do that eventually.
Doesn't mean wsplit is useless now, it will help a lot to calculate loading screen duration. And it will still help you to know if you're on a good time, as loading duration will remain roughly the same for your computer for each run.

Do loadscreens vary between good computers? I don't think there should be a rule that helps you out if your PC is trash (if I run SM on Emulator and my PC is bad and only runs it at 45FPS, I don't get any help either~)

And how the crap do you time your run if loadscreens don't count? Time it normally and manually subtract load times at the end? No way in hell anybody is going to do that

well to complete one story mode is extremely hard enough
Wot

Portal 2 runs --> loading times are substracted manually.
Are loading screen duration varying a lot between good computers? I have no idea, but as you need to record the stuff at the same time, I prefer not considering it. And for a complete story mode run, even small differences will lead to possibly 10 sec more for a good computer compared to an excellent one.
Usually, speedrunners solve the problem saying : "all runs must be done on consoles, and each console has its own category". That can't really be applied for SG (do I need to tell why?).

About the difficulty of completing a story mode : it's not hard if you know what you're doing, except against Marie for some characters maybe. But as long as it's doable, this is not a good point. It's doable with BB means it's doable reliably with any other character.
I believe funkyhellboy need to start thinking in a more elitist way :p

Do loadscreens vary between good computers? I don't think there should be a rule that helps you out if your PC is trash (if I run SM on Emulator and my PC is bad and only runs it at 45FPS, I don't get any help either~)

And how the crap do you time your run if loadscreens don't count? Time it normally and manually subtract load times at the end? No way in hell anybody is going to do that

Wot
Load times shouldn't vary I believe.
Also I ment for like nightmare difficulty for characters that as of now have no consist ant abusable strats like: Filia, Peacock, Valentine, etc... then if its in nightmare difficulty then oh my. if not then the difficulty I was talking about is perfecting those characters with no abusable strats.

like Peacock vs Marie solo Nightmare.... but yea all are doable just some will be MUCH harder then others (Ala Cerebella vs Marie any difficulty)