• As part of the relaunch of Skullheart, ALL previous threads have been archived. You can find them at the bottom of the forum in the Archives (2021) section. The archives are locked, so please use the new forum sections to create new discussion threads.

Beowulf SPOILERS - Beowulf Story Mode and Other Lore

wait a fucking tick
  • "Think back to that day, Beowulf. Grendel's elderly mother, sobbing over her dead son, put up more of a fight than he did. Didn't she?" Beowulf was a symbol for the public. If anything, he was a mere icon to keep everyone's hope and faith alive. Grendel was drugged, and no, him taking down just the arm of a dead Gigan warrior does not fucking count. It's not the whole package that he bargained for.
  • Annie saved his ass. He was literally about to die before she came in and restrained Double.
  • Gauging his worth against opponents like BB, Bella, and others is nothing compared to him actually fighting the Skullgirl and Grendel if he hadn't been drugged.
P.S., during the beginning bit, he was restrained by Grendel's undead arm when it sensed the Skullgirl's presence.
Even though he became stronger in the end, that gave me (and possibly others) the inference that he truly was not as strong as the government made him out to be so long ago.

Actually I can deny that, there's nothing in the story mode to suggest that Beowulf was any different now than he was during his match against Grendel, there was no dialogue that painted him as someone who undeservedly thought highly of himself. You can argue that "well then I guess he's always egotistical", but that only makes sense if you're looking at him with a pessimistic predisposition.

"You posed for the crowds, but you never visited the battlefields."
"Your ignorance is staggering. Alone against a Gigan warrior? You'd never stand a chance."
"Who are you calling ignorant?! You just got schooled by the Wulf!"

"Yo, camera girl! Make sure you capture that sweet, sweet moment when I slam him right into the ground!"

For defeating a drugged opponent? You can't fucking tell me that was not arrogance. And no, the fact that he did not know is not an excuse. Yes, Grendel was not completely all over the place, but he was definitely not at the top of his game like Kai said. Being humble is always the best policy, no matter what the hell you specialize in.
You don't need a negative disposition to realize flaws in a character. You need a logical mindset.

Beowulf is strong, yes, but not as strong as he was made out to be in the very beginning. He's definitely washed up. He doesn't think things through when he goes into a fight, but when he does get involved, he'll be the one finishing it. He doesn't consider others' motives and their behavior, grand example is Double posing as an agent. He stopped BB from defending the lab, becoming an accomplice to the Skullgirl's plight.
Beowulf seems to be a fairly nice guy outside of the ring. Aloof as hell (questioning Annie, dismissing her advice about the Skullgirl), but nice.
He realizes his folly. He's not so dense that he would let history repeat itself.

"Man, it's really hitting me now. You are the same Annie I knew back in the day. That stuff ... That's real."

(Annie) "It's weird playing yourself on television, isn't it?"

"I hear that."

Just saying that this guy gets a lot more credit for so truly little that he does.

p.s., annie saved him.
annie for best character
i'm secretly DDB

Alright both you and nightphyre make very valid points now I see what you mean. okay so Beowulf could defeat a Gigan.

Look, the simplest way I can put it is this: if I pointed at a normal guy and asked, "can he lift a car?" you'd say, "no, of course not," and that would be a reasonable answer. Later that night on the news, though, you might see that same guy inexplicably lift a flaming car off of a trapped victim. He dug deep, and pushed past his limits.

Now apply that principle to the toughest man in the Canopy Kingdom, and imagine that he's an extremely intense person that lives in that heightened state for all his fights.

People are very much enjoying lines like, "aw shiiiiiiit he got his ass saved by Annie!" which, to be fair, he totally did. Double was about to gobble him up somethin' fierce. imo, this is actually more indicative of Alex and the writing team trying to show just how difficult fighting Double and Marie is, though, something that they haven't gotten to explore a lot before this (you saw a little bit of this in Squigly's story, too, where it took two powerful parasite users to kill Double). The original 8 story modes, being so threadbare, failed to show just how powerful these boss characters are supposed to be, lore-wise.

One of the things I talked with Alex about (and let him know I really enjoyed about Skullgirls), was the flawed characters. There is no one in this game without serious issues. Characters are marred by elektra complexes, psychopathy, skewed morality, selfishness, and ignorance. Beowulf is no different; he has big flaws. If this were an anime, he'd be handsome and strong, plus smart, humble, and effortless. That's boring.

the good shit

i like this post a lot
and i can respect it a tonnn
thanks for being you, kai.

Reactions: Kai
Annie saved his ass. He was literally about to die before she came in and restrained Double.
Even the best heroes need help now and then, Beowulf is no exception. Neither is Annie. They were fighting the Skullgirl, beating her just isn't gonna happen without teamwork.
"Think back to that day, Beowulf. Grendel's elderly mother, sobbing over her dead son, put up more of a fight than he did. Didn't she?" Beowulf was a symbol for the public. If anything, he was a mere icon to keep everyone's hope and faith alive. Grendel was drugged, and no, him taking down just the arm of a dead Gigan warrior does not fucking count. It's not the whole package that he bargained for.

Gauging his worth against opponents like BB, Bella, and others is nothing compared to him actually fighting the Skullgirl and Grendel if he hadn't been drugged.
This all sounds like an argument against the idea that Beowulf is the strongest. If it's not clear to everyone, I DO NOT BELIEVE THAT BEOWULF IS THE STRONGEST. I've never tried to convince anyone of that. I've only argued that had their match not been rigged, Beowulf would have beaten Grendel. I'm sorry if that wasn't clear.
For defeating a drugged opponent? You can't fucking tell me that was not arrogance. And no, the fact that he did not know is not an excuse. Yes, Grendel was not completely all over the place, but he was definitely not at the top of his game like Kai said. Being humble is always the best policy, no matter what the hell you specialize in.
Hey, the only people who knew for a fact that Grendel was drugged were the people who drugged him, AKA the Canopian Government and the Medici Mafia. Yeah maybe Beowulf should have known that something was wrong, being the one actually fighting, but hey I would have brushed those thoughts aside too if I were wearing a championship belt.
Beowulf worked his ass off to be the fighter he is, and he had to do it all while entertaining an audience. There's no room for humility in a Canopian wrestling ring, so I don't blame him for being so loud and boastful. Even so, in the real world I don't see that as being something people should automatically condemn. Sure it's always nice for an athlete to be humble, but if you really are the best then shouldn't it be alright to act like it too? I'm sure we've all heard this one before, "There's a fine line between pride and arrogance." Beowulf may cross that line often, I accept that.
You don't need a negative disposition to realize flaws in a character. You need a logical mindset.
I'm not implying that anyone that who points out Beowulf's flaws is a hater. It's just that, Magma has openly stated that he doesn't like Beowulf's story, so of course I considered that to be a factor for why he would use one of Beowulf's flaws to downplay his achievement. All while praising Cerebella's strength, a character with arguably worse flaws.

I hope it's clear to you that I know Beowulf has big flaws. I just don't see them as something to hate the character for, they should add to it.
Just saying that this guy gets a lot more credit for so truly little that he does.
He does a hell of a lot more than most other characters, and they still get more love regardless.
TL;DR What Kai said.

Last edited:
You know what. I think I understand. If what kai says is true then there is a Beowulf inside all of us. I now understand that I am Beowulf

actually lmao, me neither
he'll just rip apart my body or end up using one of my arms as a weapon

I don't want a Bara inside me
That doesn't appeal to me

46d.png

this is wulf den material not lore thread material lmao

Just one thing, isn't proved that determination, and pure willpower, and extreme situations will sometimes make a human reach far beyond his normal. Like, i've seen some people do crazy stuff in crazy situations.

That is why i like beowulf, he believes in himself and he is willing to try.

Annie: you can't beat the skullgirl.
Beowulf: i will beat the skullgirl.

Like Kai and denizen said, that fight was legit, and if we ever see a canon story mode, i want that part repeating somehow.

Like Kai and denizen said, that fight was legit, and if we ever see a canon story mode, i want that part repeating somehow.
I'm really interested in seeing how Beowulf's story is going to be handled in the canon story. I doubt that he's gonna personally fight the Skullgirl, so maybe instead he's helping defend the city against the skeleton hordes and in the process he encounters Grendel resurrected. Honestly that would be even cooler than what happened in his story mode. I also hope that the Beowulf/Annie duo stays canon, they make a really cool tag team.

And then Macho Man Randy Savage comes in and snaps him like a Slim Jim, while Hulk Hogan plays Pokemon, right?

Reactions: majorgalaxy
You mean Hulk Hogan doesn't play Pokemon regularly already?
The dream is dead

Anyway, I think Beowulf might end up helping the Lab 8 kids in canon story, what with his "kid-friendly celebrity" thing going on, not to mention it would be paying back for his story where he accidentally beat up Painwheel and Big Band for no reason <though this also has to tie in with the assumption that the canon story will lead to Painwheel escaping Lab 0 to go to Lab 8>

Man, this is reminding me of the Squigly Cult days.
Can we stop.
Squigly cult was crazy but Beowulf is so manly.

We should at least find a middle ground.

Squigly cult was crazy but Beowulf is so manly.

We should at least find a middle ground.
Finding a middle ground between the former's creepy and almost obsessive "appreciation" of an underage dead girl and the latter's equally insane sexual attraction to the macho wrestler ain't gonna help.
I love it and all, but this is the lore and story mode thread.
Bring that shit to the Beowulf character thread or sumthin'

Finding a middle ground between the former's creepy and almost obsessive "appreciation" of an underage dead girl and the latter's equally insane sexual attraction to the macho wrestler ain't gonna help.
I love it and all, but this is the lore and story mode thread.
There's one of those?
Why?

Beowulf is a wrestler with a steel chair no need to get obsessive.

Id rather people be obsessed with a living, of age wrestler with a chair than an dead, underage, blue girl with a worm, missing eye and skeleton hand.

Reactions: Jimbob and Denizen
Id rather people be obsessed with a living, of age wrestler with a chair than an dead, underage, blue girl with a worm, missing eye and skeleton hand.
I'd rather people obsess over a of-age wrestler with a chair in the appropriate thread.

I don't want to spoil anyone's fun, I just want to see an alert for the lore thread and actually see something about lore and story that makes me go "Huh, didn't look at it that way before..."

While I basically agree with this sentiment, I also agree with...
So let's move Beowulf appreciation to the wulf den thread, and keep it on topic in here :)

Oh god, what have I done...
It was an adult joke, people. No need to argue and bring back bad memories.
Time to get back on topic.

I am on the side where I think that Beowulf could beat Grendel. Yadda yadda yadda, all been said and done here about that, but I felt underwhelmed when it was revealed that Grendel was drugged. It makes Beowulf seem weaker than he is, which is where this argument no doubt spawned from. If he'd been clean, then I would have been happier, but then that leaves the government looking like idiots if Beowulf lost, so an "insurance policy" does makes sense.

I'm just really stupid, doing 360 inputs.

Isn't Beowulf the weakest of the cast?
Weaker than even Fortune?

That sounds pitiful when you put it like that.

Isn't Beowulf the weakest of the cast?
Weaker than even Fortune?
Lmao how could you even think that Beowulf is weaker than Fortune? I could snap her in half like a twig lol.

To answer your question, Alex Ahad has in fact said that Beowulf's relative power level is rather low since he doesn't have any parasites or living weapons or any other crutches like that. Guess what though, power levels are horse shit, Beowulf is the Batman of the game.

Reactions: DimitriAwsometh
Thing is Beowulf can die Fortune cannot be killed. Except for that one instance.

But in terms of strength Beowulf is probably physically stronger then Filia, Val and Squigly but not as strong as Vice-Versa, Big band, peacock. That brings me to another point why does no one commend Val for her fighting talents she doesn't have any living weapons or parasites.

Guess what though, power levels are horse shit

I want to disagree with this but I don't want to start another fight
Lmao how could you even think that Beowulf is weaker than Fortune? I could snap her in half like a twig lol.

Beowulf is the Batman of the game.

Does this mean Big Band is Commissioner Gordon?