• As part of the relaunch of Skullheart, ALL previous threads have been archived. You can find them at the bottom of the forum in the Archives (2021) section. The archives are locked, so please use the new forum sections to create new discussion threads.

Beowulf SPOILERS - Beowulf Story Mode and Other Lore

I could make a list of stuff maybe...and i liked the campaign but nah lazy.

Just watch Scott Steiner vids on youtube and the movie the wrestler and you are halfway there.

Beo's story felt a little short but he is an unimportant side character so i didn't mind. I was in it for Annie anyway.

This was one of my favorite scenes.
Untitled_1.jpg

When was the war beowulf participated in? was it before squiggly's death aka 14years ago? Or did he fight during parasoul's mother skullgirl 7years ago? I ask because Valentine would have had to be 13 or 20 have lived through what beo was talking about. if she was 13 at that age she seemed to know what a drugged grendal looked like when it didn't seem so obvious to others. This makes me think Valentine must have been trained as a medical ninja/geniepig since an early age. or is that already known about her?
Just thinking out loud.

Reactions: DDB
Is it kinda weird though that Beowulf (somehow) contradicts himself by telling Peacock that it's fake?

I mean that is a thing wrestlers are famous for..telling children it's fake and ruining their dreams. My friend actually grew up with ric flair's family. He did that to him in elementary school.

Reactions: Kuzlalala
It's the drastic step to take on children after the "don't try this at home" advisory

It's the drastic step to take on children after the "don't try this at home" advisory
I still remember the days that I thought wrestling was real.

Till that "don't try this at home" advisory ruined it

In Indonesia, Smack Down was a thing and because little elementary school students thought it was real, many of them died.

Guys, I may be REALLY reading into this. But I think Beo's story has a great joke that L0 really snuck in here.
As we discussed the theoretical application in his story, the Beowulf Poem ended by being eaten by a dragon.

After Beowulf's initial bout with Marie, Double erupts out screaming "NOW YOU WILL FEED THE DRAGON!"... or something very similar to that.

Of any character, or any way it could have been taken. For the classic "just a dude and metal chair he throws around beats the crap out of people on the street and then suddenly supernatural things" story.

The planned end... was Double. The dragon. Double... Dragon.

3177-1.jpg

Now there's one thing that's been boggling my mind

Will robo-furtune's story mode be longer?

Is that why some of Beo's talk sprites look rather... How should I say it? Not completely done?

Reactions: PaperBag_Sniper
My mind could rest in piece, now

I think it's more that less things happened.

Every fight in Eliza's story mode kinda had a purpose, 'cept maybe one or two, but a lot of Beo's fights are, well, just organized fights, or at least he thinks they're just organized fights.

Which I ain't complaining about. It makes sense for the character. Eliza's just felt longer because so much happened, so many characters were effected, and so much shit was revealed, but she's like one of the central antagonists.

It's longer than every other story mode...
It just felt like when ever he was talking he wasn't saying anything important.

Reactions: PaperBag_Sniper
Is that why some of Beo's talk sprites look rather... How should I say it? Not completely done?
I'm pretty sure the ":o" face he makes looking to the side is a reference to a famous wrestler's bizzare expression.

Which is hilarious.

Nah, that one's pretty good. But there are some of his talk sprites where the lines aren't well defined, the shading's incomplete, etc.

It just felt like when ever he was talking he wasn't saying anything important.
So many people thought that Beowulf's story mode was short and unimportant simply because it lacked new Lore.
"Important" is a matter of context. This is a story, not an encyclopedia. You shouldn't judge it's worth by the amount of trivia it spits at you. You should judge it by how it affected you on an emotional level, and if you felt nothing but disappointment 'cause of the lack of new facts, then I feel sorry for you.

This is not directed at anyone in particular by the way.

As we discussed the theoretical application in his story, the Beowulf Poem ended by being eaten by a dragon.

To be technical, he along with Wiglaf successfully killed the dragon, but because of dragon venom Beowulf died.

To be technical, he along with Wiglaf successfully killed the dragon, but because of dragon venom Beowulf died.
Then Wiglaf became king. That movie was really informative.

Yes, you're right. Wiglaf does become king. But I should also note that the poem ends with Beowulf's funeral and the Geats worry about their fate because the other tribes are going to battle them (probably because they knew the powerful Geatish king died).

Well, if there's a link I could go to.......

During my Beowulf experience I started by reading Beowulf for Beginners. It's not a direct translation of Beowulf but rather an English retelling. It's interactive as well and that adds up to the entertainment.

My friend who's more of an expert of Beowulf, Vikings, and Old English than I am recommends this translation of Beowulf. I haven't read it myself, rather I read Seamus Heaney's translation. My friend said that heorot.dk's translation is better, though.

Reactions: Shooon
I mean that is a thing wrestlers are famous for..telling children it's fake and ruining their dreams. My friend actually grew up with ric flair's family. He did that to him in elementary school.
Ric Flaire is just an mummy born in ancient babylon who fought jesus christ in a cruxifiction match.

Needless to say we all know who lost that one.

But it's normal for a wrestler to tell kids not to get into wrestling.

He reads your posts, I suppose.
:^)
Touche sir.

If beo had lines that slayed like that annie wouldn't have to save him and his story.
:^)

My bad. Misremembering. Nonetheless. Overall a very solid story with some good scenes... but not really much lore to be gleamed. Pretty much what was expcted.

Ric Flaire is just an mummy born in ancient babylon who fought jesus christ in a cruxifiction match.

Needless to say we all know who lost that one.

But it's normal for a wrestler to tell kids not to get into wrestling.

I'm not saying it isn't..but to an extent its like saying santa isn't real.

necessary but equal parts cruel.

Btw I think some people found the story off in comparison to the others because for how it was written and drawn, with the humor, the expressions, a very happy ending and all, this felt like watching a Chowder episode in the middle of a Neon Genesis Evangelion marathon.

Seriously tho Beowulf looks like a very western cartoon character to me, I like that a lot. Annie is for weebs.

Saw complaints that he doesn't further the main story on steam..but that's stupid.

Dude is clearly not exactly the main char or anything.

Tbh one of the more disappointing things about Beowulf's Story is that aside from Gehenna, drugged Grendel, and Annie, the story is somehow predictable. Unless you know, they decided on making it predictable anyway...

Saw complaints that he doesn't further the main story on steam..but that's stupid.
Yeah and honestly none of the story modes ever really furthered the main story, only the canon story can do that. People are just mad that they didn't get more history and hard facts. You know, nerd stuff.
the story is somehow predictable. Unless you know, they decided on making it predictable anyway...
Hindsight is 20/20. The fact of the matter is that no one here actually predicted it.

True, the fact that we try to predict the out-of-the-ordinary unpredictable but turns out to be just a pretty much mundane story line intrigues me.