• As part of the relaunch of Skullheart, ALL previous threads have been archived. You can find them at the bottom of the forum in the Archives (2021) section. The archives are locked, so please use the new forum sections to create new discussion threads.

Beowulf SPOILERS - Beowulf Story Mode and Other Lore

Well, Gehenna's a bit of a sticky situation. It seems to have become an underlying topic for multiple plot threads.
Ohhhh...... I see. Thanks for the exposition.

To compensate, it seems we're talking about Beo's story mode in the Eliza story thread. :P

This was an Eliza story thread all along?!

Reactions: evacino
I guess that's why it said "super spoilers" on the title.

Inside Wulf Den Stage when. Complete with all the background gimmicks like Beo sleeping on his couch and Grendals arm not being on the wall if he's on a team. Also an episode of Annie of the Stars playing on his TV
DUDE THAT BE AN AWESOME STAGE!
AND HE'LL HOWL EVERYTIME A SUPER DEALS THE FINAL BLOW!!!

Why just Annie on the TV?

Why not Annie on the couch too?
Just replace the background of any stage with a glass wall, and on the other side is Beowulf & Annie sitting on his couch, playing the game of the Skullgirls currently happening, looking in towards the action. They'd mirror the button inputs of players 1 and 2, and react accordingly when either one wins based on the manner of victory.

Yaaaaaaassssssssssssss

Just replace the background of any stage with a glass wall, and on the other side is Beowulf & Annie sitting on his couch, playing the game of the Skullgirls currently happening, looking in towards the action. They'd mirror the inputs of players 1 and 2, and react accordingly when either one wins based on the manner of victory.

Yaaaaaaassssssssssssss
Like...... Skullgirls-ception??

Kai you know that's not fair.

You were already Beowulf, unless...

Oh my god all of us are Annie.

You know what music goes well with that??

Darude sandsto.....nope.

Imagine Beowulf inviting Annie over to his crappy apartment to just chill on the couch and drink beers.
Annie can't break kayfabe so all she can drink is cream soda and apple juice.

To be serious for a moment, Annie was totally different from what I expected her to be, which I liked. I thought she'd have the same stereotypical attitude as a grizzled marine veteran, all depressing and serious and tired of the 100+ years of fighting, never smiling and constantly searching for a way to break the curse on her and become mortal.

She's really cool though? Like, she doesn't seem the least bit depressed or jaded. She's tough and serious but she's also enthusiastic about both her jobs and she genuinely smiles plenty of times. I wonder if she even cares about the fact that she's an immortal twelve year old? I like this, I'm glad she's happy.

I'm sure she does

You have any idea what kind of alcohol she can have when she literally looks like she should be in elementary school

none
none is what kind

You have any idea what kind of alcohol she can have when she literally looks like she should be in elementary school

none
none is what kind
Head canon, she gives extra money to Beowulf when he goes shopping so he can buy booze for the both of them. Perfect friendship.

Annie just has like
rumballs or something
or penne a la vodka

I imagined Annie throwing a few extra bucks at Beowulf then whispering in his ear "Get me one of them energy drinks would ya"

what the hell we need to start at the roots of the problem. we need to make a nun appreciation forum
That........

Actually, makes a lot of sense.

Again I return from the depths of the Japanese internet to find out more about the typical Japanese views on characters, so first of all some more nicknames:

Spoiler tag for my needlessly long post:
  • Fukua is 'Blowfish-chan' (probably to tie in with Filia's Pig-chan, since blowfish puff-up but are more dangerous)
  • Marie is 'Marie-Chan', Annie is 'Annie-Chan' and Minette is 'KAWAIIII~' (but more often then not it's just Minette-Chan too)
  • It took me a while to figure out Double's, so hopefully this is right. Double's name wrote in Japanese is 'ダブル' (Da-bur-ru), while her/its nickname is 'ダボォ' - so literally 'Dabo~o (Da-boo)'. I think the 'boo~' sound can be used as a cute suffix to put at the end of names and can be a shortened word for Messy, which is normally spelt 'ボサボサ' (bosabosa). So in a sense it's a affectionate corruption of the words 'Double' and 'Messy'. I am pretty unsure on this though so if some one knows what that means it would be great!

Next up... Popularity Polls! Okay so you know when I said Marie was popular? Turns out that she is the most popular in Japan! Both her and Peacock won by a landslide up against the other characters. Here is a link to the poll, note that only the original 8 cast members are on here though. I'm guessing that if Squigly was included, she would have probably been third:

Marie > Peacock > Valentine > Ms. Fortune > Painwheel > Filia > Double > Parasoul > Cerebella.

Marie and Peacock did well because, not only are they loli's, but they have a close friendship together and both have favourable personality tropes in Japan. Marie is a Kawaii Maid who cares for Peacock and Peacock herself is a 'charismatic spirit' as I said in an earlier post. Valentine? Boobs. Believe me I looked in the comments as to why the people voted and that was the majority response. XD Cat-girls always do well and Filia is in a bit of a middleground limbo - she is likable enough but there is little backstory to her that you can relate with (so pretty much how most people think of Filia over here as well). Parasoul and Cerebella seemed to have suffered because their 'features' didn't particularly 'stand-out'. For example, one person said Cerebella has big boobs but then Valentine just has bigger ones. Also Cerebella's personality trope isn't as popular in Japan I believe.

Later on the site compared their results to the worldwide one which has pretty different results. They weren’t surprised by Cerebella being placed high since she is an ‘American’ character. But they were pretty shocked by the lack of Marie and Double’s low place.

So next I looked for Indiegogo DLC opinions. And it’s pretty interesting. Early on during the end of the first vote for the first character a user made an estimate of what characters would likely get voted into the next round with ‘American Favourites’ and ‘Japanese Favourites’. The characters they suggested appealed to western voters where Black Dahlia (for her bounty hunter-like appearance), Eliza (for her appearance/relation to Squigly and Samson), Scythana (a giant/interesting moveset) and Panzerfaust (since ‘people love the military’ XD). Japan’s list was Marie, Annie, Feng and Aeon for being ‘cute’.

The next post about is about the finales of the first character vote. So between Annie, Eliza, Minette and Aeon. The strangest thing? Eliza was the least sought out character between them; the two favourites where Annie and Minette. As I said before Eliza’s design is more popular to western countries (older-looking, more tanned, Egyptian themed) but they expected her to win anyway because of the high amount of American voters.

This last post regards the winner of the second DLC vote. People where pretty shocked that Beowulf won of all people, as he was lower placed in the first character vote (of course we know it’s because some old Eliza supporters/Male character supporters placed their votes to him instead). Some fans seemed disappointed that more male characters had got voted in since, from my understanding, him and Big Band are the least popular characters in the game. Even when Big Band was funded people where like ‘Huh? Is he that popular?’. The post basically says that the want for male characters is also a ‘popular foreigner’ thing. Overall people really wanted Marie the absolute most, followed by Annie and then Minette. Some people also hoped Stanley would make it higher.

Of course not everyone is like this. Just what I got generally from various sites.
Btw, if you want to have a go at looking at some Japanese sites yourself unfortunately I don’t know any good forums because I'm not a Japanese-speaking master. But I suggest you search ‘スカルガールズ’ (Skullgirls) with the character’s name in Japanese (which are on the Wiki I think). I think this site’s pretty good as the person who runs it attempts to translate stuff from overseas (the hilarity of how to translate the word ‘meme’ from Marie 300% is real). It also has active comments, so you can read them there as well.

Last edited:
Lol Japanese people hate Cerebella.

This last post regards the winner of the second DLC vote. People where pretty shocked that Beowulf won of all people, as he was lower placed in the first character vote (of course we know it’s because some old Eliza supporters/Male character supporters placed their votes to him instead). Some fans seemed disappointed that more male characters had got voted in since, from my understanding, him and Big Band are the least popular characters in the game. Even when Big Band was funded people where like ‘Huh? Is he that popular?’. The post basically says that the want for male characters is also a ‘popular foreigner’ thing.
Based on what little I knew about Japanese preferences in their animated fiction, I kinda expected this general viewpoint, which is why I was so surprised (and touched) to hear that my performance was well-received... by at least whoever is writing their wiki entries :P

I'm getting in the booth for some unrelated voice stuff tomorrow. If anybody had anything in Japanese they wanted recorded, this is your chance.

Based on what little I knew about Japanese preferences in their animated fiction, I kinda expected this general viewpoint, which is why I was so surprised (and touched) to hear that my performance was well-received... by at least whoever is writing their wiki entries :P
The context it was used in was that your voice as Beowulf was made a possibility because of the voice reel you uploaded onto Youtube. Because it was ultimately chosen it said that you must have been the perfect person for the role, and they added their own thing to it saying they totally agreed! Not only that but I have heard only good things about the game's voice acting overall from these sorts of sites.

Yours was the only one that had that wrote on the wiki though, haha. Looks like Beowulf really does have that Canopian-born sex appeal!

The context it was used in was that your voice as Beowulf was made a possibility because of the voice reel you uploaded onto Youtube. Because it was ultimately chosen it said that you must have been the perfect person for the role, and they added their own thing to it saying they totally agreed! Not only that but I have heard only good things about the game's voice acting overall from these sorts of sites.

Yours was the only one that had that wrote on the wiki though, haha. Looks like Beowulf really does have that Canopian-born sex appeal!
I also heard it on Youtube during mah research........

His voice kinda changed.....but better!!

"The characters they suggested appealed to western voters were<...>Scythana (a giant/interesting moveset)"
Shit, they got me pegged

What confuses me is that Japanese people hate Bella for being "too American," but they simultaneously love Peacock.

It's like... what
I think it's her personality and uniqueness in design/animation. They love Disney and generally the concept of American culture as well so that probably helps. Of course her relationship with Marie is a massive factor, and that side of things isn't explored as much in Cerebella's story with Feng or Vitale.

Street Fighter ain't got characters like dis! ...Which I why I think no characters are particularly 'unliked' either. I mean Cerebella isn't hated over there, just... sucks at popularity polls that aren't western based apparently. If you take into account the worldwide poll results, not everyone would agree with what order all the characters were placed at. It's very subjective, but it gives you a rough idea on what might make a character appealing in that culture.

Last edited:
Fukua is 'Blowfish-chan' (probably to tie in with Filia's Pig-chan, since blowfish puff-up but are more dangerous
What the fu-? Come on!

They're too scared to admit the cute chubby girl is cute huh? Guess that's their problem.

Honestly I think Filia is hot, and her chubby belly, chubby thighs, and umm... large posterior makes her way better overall.
YOU'RE NOT HELPING

Anyway, I was going to make a joke about Beowulf joining a marching band after his misadventures (Because I dressed as Beowulf in my marching band senior night), but it looks like I lost the pictures.

Whelp.

So where is the cool fan art? when Eliza story was released we got a lot... now I haven't seen anything for Beowulf :( for shame skulheart lol

What confuses me is that Japanese people hate Bella for being "too American," but they simultaneously love Peacock.
Lol Japanese people hate Cerebella.
I was under the impression Cerebella is disliked (around here) because:
1. She's foolishly devoted to a guy who really doesn't deserve it.
2. Because of reason #1, its hard to relate to her since she's a weird combo of naive and brutal. She MUST know she's in a crime syndicate! Which leads to reason #3.
3. She turned a funny cat into diamonds.

And these reasons have been around since vanilla SG story mode.

Probably because she's a loli.
Nawwwww!! It can't be.......

Right?

I would assume some of Peacock's popularity in Japan is of course, due to being a loli, but also her friendship with Marie and pretty tragic backstory. (Which I'd guess adds some extra moe appeal.)

Actually, Peacock in general kind of vaguely reminds me of the girls in the anime "Gunslinger Girl" whom are "Young girls who have experienced traumatic and near-death experiences fitted with cybernetic implants as agents. The implants, which consist of synthesized muscles and carbon fiber frames, result in heightened strength and reflexes as well as high resilience to damage and pain." So, yeah, Japan loves It's loli killing machines.