• As part of the relaunch of Skullheart, ALL previous threads have been archived. You can find them at the bottom of the forum in the Archives (2021) section. The archives are locked, so please use the new forum sections to create new discussion threads.

Squigly Match-Up Thread

Hello! I'm new here to the forums and SG in general. Any tips on the Beowulf matchup? It's a really frustrating MU. I seem to have no options when Beowulf is just spamming air grabs and his chair has weird block frames... I do the Trials 1 combo pretty well but it doesn't to seem to do much damage. I'm not the best in the game not even close. It just seems when I lose to my friend's Beowulf, I'm losing to Beowulf and his crazy grabs and super armor and not the player. Also I don't want to know the tiers, I've already been in that struggle in various other games. I want to get good with Squigly and I came far from my beginnings. But I face a wall in this MU. Plz halp
If I'm correct, you're having problems with his j.HP and his air grabs?
The version of Battle Opera that is angled diagonally upwards (MK + HK) is pretty good for protecting you against jump-ins, if you have meter.
If he is close to you and goes for a j.HP, Squigly has arguably the best air-to-air in the game, her j.LK. This will stop his j.HP if you're fast enough during its startup frames, and you can combo off of it with a variety of moves.
You should also practice teching grabs; if you grab him after a short period of him grabbing you, you'll escape his throw.

You mention super armor; he has three super armor moves. One requires meter, his Gigantic Arm; his other two both require him to be chairless. Without the chair, his c.HK and c.HP both have armor. His c.HK is a long-range sweep with the arm; this hits low, so keep that in mind.
Daisy Pusher, since it is a command grab, will catch him during any of these moves if you react to them. If you have meter, he does any of these moves, and you can react to or predict them, you can get a free combo. You can also grab, but it isn't as effective since you can cancel into Daisy Pusher, unlike normal grabs.

If you can't use Daisy Pusher or grab him, just be patient and block until the moves end. All of them are extremely punishable if you block them.

Awesome, but 1 question. I hold back to block his air grabs and sometimes Squigly blocks and other time I get grabbed. What's the deciding factor? And I'll definitely give your guide a read. Oh and will j.lk clash/trade with his air attacks or do I must get him before the moves start? Beowulf's Marth chair fair is his j.HP right?

Reactions: Meow-Professor
Awesome, but 1 question. I hold back to block his air grabs and sometimes Squigly blocks and other time I get grabbed.
he has two different air grabs; one is his normal LK + LP while in the air, and the other is his chairless j.HP.
The chairless j.HP, while having an animation similar to a grab, is not actually a grab. It can be blocked and doesn't need to be teched. You might be confusing them for being the same move.

Oh and will j.lk clash/trade with his air attacks or do I must get him before the moves start? Beowulf's Marth chair fair is his j.HP right?
No, it won't trade because the majority of the hitbox on j.HP doesn't have a hurtbox on Beowulf, so if you hit it the chair, it won't deal damage to him.
I don't know what you mean by this, but his j.HP is the move where he holds the chair in from of him, not the one where he kicks it down on top of you.

I'm pretty sure Gigantic Arm has no armor.
Sorry, I thought all of the moves that use the arm had a few hits of armor.

Yeah, arm just has invincibility and is butt against squigly because she can low profile it.

Hello! I'm new here to the forums and SG in general. Any tips on the Beowulf matchup? It's a really frustrating MU. I seem to have no options when Beowulf is just spamming air grabs and his chair has weird block frames... I do the Trials 1 combo pretty well but it doesn't to seem to do much damage. I'm not the best in the game not even close. It just seems when I lose to my friend's Beowulf, I'm losing to Beowulf and his crazy grabs and super armor and not the player. Also I don't want to know the tiers, I've already been in that struggle in various other games. I want to get good with Squigly and I came far from my beginnings. But I face a wall in this MU. Plz halp

Hi there. This match up May be fairly even imo. But I'm not that good. It seems you have a tendency to jump at Beowulf. You should be more careful and conscious o when you jump. Beowulf has good anti air tools so you need to be aware of them. You should test your opponent by jumping and just blocking though he may use the air grab super to counter you.

Be more confident on the ground. If he is jumping at you with the chair recklessly you can counter with sbo m+h super. Also rising j.lk can stop a lot of his jumping normals. You can use an assist to get in or dash in on the ground. If you dash by pressing 2 punch buttons you can hold back and move forward while blocking.

If Beowulf is chairless you'll have an easier time. You can beat his anti air moves with multi hit moves like j.mk. also he has almost no reversal options except lv 3. If you time it right you Can duck under the arm super with c.lk. if he air grab You can counter with l+h sbo the on that goes directly above you. This may a bit too advanced at your level but it's good info to know.

If you have any questions or didn't get anything I wrote let m know and I'll try to write better.

I don't play with any assists and its Beowulf that keeps approaching with his grabs and chair from the air. Not to mention he seems to have a lot of invincibility frames. It's infuriating lol

There isn't a set tier list in this game, at least not one that anyone agrees with. You can play anyone and dominate every other character with them. As for the Beo vs Squigs MU, it's pretty annoying yeah. My main objective is to always have 1 meter on stock to dissuade beowulf from using his j.hp and Wulf blitzer above me, since SBO gives a free punish if he attempts to do so without assist like Brass covering him. As for his air-grabs, If you feel like he's going to read your jump with his grab, j.lk while traveling upward should stuff his attempt to grab you. If you have any more questions about this matchup, feel free to leave other comments.

Honestly I need to work on my fundamentals. I get rekt by my friend who I'm pretty sure was to fight any of you lot would get destroyed by his obvious approach. I play AI Beowulf on Nightmare and I still come out better than expected.

I've been looking at the guide and I see their are moves I don't use enough like c.LK. This forum is a great resource.

The only concrete thing agreed on in this game is that squigly is the worst, weakens character and peacock is the most evil character.

The only concrete thing agreed on in this game is that squigly is the worst, weakens character and peacock is the most evil character.
Nooo I refuse to believe pls

Nooo I refuse to believe pls
I refuse to believe otherwise. It makes me want to improve and it makes me feel like every victory comes from my skill and mastery of the character instead of using an overpowering and hard to beat character. But that's just me because I suck.

Another MU I just thought about which would be extremely hard is Big Band. Guy's a tank.

BB is super easy unless they reeeeally know him. When full screen, just stand block and jump if you giant steps. If he jumps, start building a charge. Don't go full charge, just get a few frames, then neutral jump block. If he double jumps, follow him up and j.hp. If he just cymbals, block and j.hp. Repeat and build charges. Eventually he'll hang himself. Half of his resets and confirms don't work on Squigly.

See that just shows what I know lol. Thanks, I gotta practice blocking. Seems I block sometimes and other times I get hit

In both the BB and Beo matchup I recommend keeping a charged Chord handy.
On BB you can chord basically anything he tries to do, and if spaced right you could make it relatively safe unless he SSJs.
If all the Beo is doing is the usual j.HP and blitzer shenanigans, he's basically free to it too. And don't forget that if he blitzers he can't block until he lands, so charged Chord is useful to get a quick punish.

Any one has tips for painwheel with beat extend? Feels like I can't catch her or press any buttons in this match up. It was against mayor of earth for reference if any of you have played against him.

yeah you'd really rather fight beowulf WITH his chair, but you can't force him to keep it like you can force him chairless. IMO, he's a real test to see how well yiu can use squigly-- ie your best normals are in the air but you have to respect the grab, and you have to pay very good attention when beo's laying the pressure so you can block/react properly. use LH Battle opera against intentionally whiffed airwulf, use Daisy pusher vs various hops and chair jHP, Seria silver chord/Tremolo/sing his armored moves. cLK can low-profile Beowulf's arm when used preemptively, but you can cancel into daisy or SBO for safety. also, blocking the arm gives you a full hard counterhit combo

Nah, chairless beo is free to squigly. He loses every wake up reversal option other than level 3 or hard tag. c.lk low profiling arm makes it super easy. If he wakes up with armor, you can counter with daisy. If he does a high risk maneuver, you do lk+hk sbo.

Nah, chairless beo is free to squigly. He loses every wake up reversal option other than level 3 or hard tag. c.lk low profiling arm makes it super easy. If he wakes up with armor, you can counter with daisy. If he does a high risk maneuver, you do lk+hk sbo.

you can low profile his arm super? Sickkkk.

Also not sure where to post this, but anyone have issues hitting Fukura with grave digger in a combo? I post the vod of when it happen here. But sometimes when Squiggs does grave digger on fukra it would hit, but it wouldnt flip her over on the other side. Also for any mis spellings is because i am very very tired atm.

http://www.twitch.tv/missionstartpodcast/v/15462331
starts at 28:54

you can low profile his arm super? Sickkkk.

Also not sure where to post this, but anyone have issues hitting Fukura with grave digger in a combo? I post the vod of when it happen here. But sometimes when Squiggs does grave digger on fukra it would hit, but it wouldnt flip her over on the other side. Also for any mis spellings is because i am very very tired atm.

http://www.twitch.tv/missionstartpodcast/v/15462331
starts at 28:54
SBO interrupted the hk divekick hitstun

So can someone tell me what our gameplan is v Double again? Now that Point double is rising in popularity (or at least it's become more prominent), I'd like some tips on how do deal with her. All I know is that if she catches you in some kind of flesh step vortex shenanigan, don't do anything but (try to) block

durdle, build partial charges when they jump, j.lk is still godly, when you're in use air resets. Also, if they use yolo bombers or slides into puddle, mash daisy pusher.

Reactions: Adwins
Usually my plan against double is to stop her advance on the ground with assists and beat her air to air with j.LK. If she just keeps back peddling and using luggers then walk her patiently into the corner. Don't use j.HP very much, you're asking to get counterhit by H Luger into a full combo.

so is slide into puddle on block punishable at all with squigly? I know dp into puddle is punishable with a throw but not with slide.

Double's j.hp is really tricky, Suqigly is usually at a range where double's j.hp will beat your j.lk because the range is so short. The effective range where you can beat j.hp is usually in Double's low/throw/lugar ranges so that forces you into not doing anything. I still feel I can't do anything effective at any range against double.

super jump cross up j.mk is pretty good if you can find the range though since it can beat lugar attempts and s.hp>lugar+assist lock down.

slide-monster isn't even a block string. In fact, I don't think anything-monster is a true block string.

slide-monster isn't even a block string. In fact, I don't think anything-monster is a true block string.

its not but fridge-monster is unpunishable even by SSJ so that's the closest thing

Reactions: alexpi
So I'm trying L Bomber/Monster vs Slide/Monster. PBGCs seem to be the answer, though i guess it depends on the string itself (i've been testing cLK sMKx2 xx 623LK/4LK+HK xx Monster)

using that string, if you PB about halfway between each MKyou can PBGC a jab(and even cLK if it's not bomber), DP (i think both work, but charged igot Drag'n'Bit to counterhit too!), throw, and of course Daisy pusher, though it's a little tougher on timing since it's QCB.

with cHP thrown into the block string, you'd PBGC just after the second MK for Daisy, and just after cHP for s/cLK, throw, or Charged DP (uncharged can be blocked, and she'll end up too far away for sLP)

an unPBGC'd Daisy pusher will NOT counterhit on Slide, meaning a Double can jump out of it even though she's -5... but i doubt many doubles would expect this.
I can get this on Bomber>Monster sometimes (-13 to -16 on block) but a lot of the time it isn't working.

as far as practical applications, people rarely end a blockstring in unsafe move -> monster, a more applicable situation is both of the moves raw

l bomber -> monster is wildly unsafe, you don't even have to pbgc just start mashing throw or even jab when you see the monster super flash, jab gets you a better punish but if you mess up the timing slightly then jab will trade and get you counterhit while the invuln from throw can cover inaccuracies in timing.

Not with squigly but after alexpi commented about <x> -> monster not being a blockstring I did some tests on slide -> monster and with L updo it worked on some recordings of slide->monster and not on others so I think it's dependent on how fast double cancels into monster.

Not with squigly but after alexpi commented about <x> -> monster not being a blockstring I did some tests on slide -> monster and with L updo it worked on some recordings of slide->monster and not on others so I think it's dependent on how fast double cancels into monster.
It could also be how far the slide travels before it is blocked. I haven't tested it, but it probably works like Fortune's cat slide; I did some testing on that move, and while it's normally unsafe it can be safe or even plus if it connects late in the animation.

Reactions: Adwins and Pickles
It could also be how far the slide travels before it is blocked. I haven't tested it, but it probably works like Fortune's cat slide; I did some testing on that move, and while it's normally unsafe it can be safe or even plus if it connects late in the animation.
Cilia slide does not behave like this, the recovery starts when the move connects and is consistent regardless of distance
slide xx monster is safe because monster has less combined startup + recovery than the recovery of cilia slide alone

OK, I'm committing some necromancy, but last night I had a match that damn near had me tearing my hair out. I was playing against a (good) Fukua player that, every time an assist was blocked, would jump forward + button. We played something like 60 games, so it wasn't like I was surprised, but I could never challenge. Air throw, j.lk, and j.lp lost consistently while s.lp was somewhat OK at anti-airing, but it goes over crouching Fukua so if they don't actually jump, I lose. Is the correct option to just back up?

I've found that if they are mid rangeish its better to wait for them to try jump with a button then try to whiff punish it with an assist, j.lk or sbo and if they are point blank then you can do the sbo directly above you. s.lp is kind of a read similar to if you think a fukua is gonna iad attack you.

But you can't can't challenge Fukua air to air like at all with squigly, I don't even think you can land cancel punish j.hk because she lands before you do thanks to the suction.

I've caught jHKs with cHP before. Punish/scare people who like to throw out that button often

that said, if Fukua can just jump out of our resets for almost free, it means we have to play a better netral game than she does in order to win. interesting, considering a lot of other matchups in this game are dependent on how well setplay is dealt with.